Chicago car guy moving to Central FL?

John_Mc

I've read all the input on this, and to say the least it has given me a lot to think about.  Now, not sure where to look, but one thing for sure - we are leaving this state.  Those of you who don't live here do not know how miserable it is here.  HORRIBLE winters, Afghanistan-like roads, highest taxes in the country, highest gas prices in the country, world-class crooked politicians, endless toll roads everywhere, gridlock highways due to backward infrastructure.  And to top it all off, the genius voters (Cook County) just elected a billionaire governor who just added $.20 to our already high gas tax and added 50% to all auto yearly registrations.  And he's just getting started.  People are leaving this Land of Lincoln's dump EVERYDAY in record numbers!  Outside of these points, its a great place to live. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John348 said:

Have you and the wife been to central Florida this time of year? It is pretty hot and sticky!

While there are many 90 degree plus days in the north, the difference is it is 93 degrees and 90% humidity at 6:30 AM...

A friend of mine lives in Putnam County, Florida,

which is well inland and not too far from Daytona Beach

and Saint Augustine.  Inland, you get away from the

high-density, high-growth and bustle of the coasts.

It feels more like old-time, small-town Florida there.

I like that aspect.

However, he says that inland, you also get away from

the ocean breezes.  Go outside in the summer, as John

hints at above, and you are immediately covered in

perspiration!

One disadvantage I see with living there:  In the summer,

when the longest days encourage a person to spend

days and evenings outside, it's too hot to be enjoying those

long days.  In the other seasons, when the temperatures

are more pleasant, it gets dark early.

Northern summers, in contrast, have the same long days,

and it's great to be doing activities outside at 9 p.m. when

you still have daylight and a perfect 65 or 75 degrees.  Then,

linger relaxingly on the patio furniture and watch the sun set!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, John_Mc said:

...Now, not sure where to look, but one thing for sure - we are leaving this state.  Those of you who don't live here do not know how miserable it is here.  

People are leaving this Land of Lincoln's dump EVERYDAY in record numbers!  

John, how about southern Indiana?

It's not terribly far away from where you are

already, and the southern part of the state has

woods and rolling hills.  I hear it's fiscally responsible

in Indiana.  You could go to a university town  

such as West Lafayette, where there's plenty of

culture but none of the disadvantages of big cities;

but I say southern to get you less winter, which

you say you don't prefer.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

2 hours ago, John348 said:

Hey John,

Have you and the wife been to central Florida this time of year? It is pretty hot and sticky! While there are many 90 degree plus days in the north, the difference is it is 93 degrees and 90% humidity at 6:30 AM, but you don't have to shovel heat, and don't slip on it either! but it is HOT! 

You described where I live in Sebring.  Six car garage and a carport.  Three bedrooms, two baths, jacuzzi tub, split plan (three ways), office, large living room, large family room and a dining room too.  Sebring is not in the middle of nowhere, and there are no swampy areas here except the State Park which is consolidated in one spot and a tourist attraction.  Hose has two A/C units and a full house generator.  If you can bear modified cars, you can enjoy old cars.  Just virtually no pre-sixties cars around here except modified 55 Chevies.  Real Estate is relatively cheap here too and I know one old car guy from Chicago.  I would like to find a place in Lake City, but it's almost impossible to find a decent garage up there using real estate ads.  They don't even know what a large garage is.  I would rather stay here than to go through building a house again.

Earl

2 hours ago, John_Mc said:

I've read all the input on this, and to say the least it has given me a lot to think about.  Now, not sure where to look, but one thing for sure - we are leaving this state.  Those of you who don't live here do not know how miserable it is here.  HORRIBLE winters, Afghanistan-like roads, highest taxes in the country, highest gas prices in the country, world-class crooked politicians, endless toll roads everywhere, gridlock highways due to backward infrastructure.  And to top it all off, the genius voters (Cook County) just elected a billionaire governor who just added $.20 to our already high gas tax and added 50% to all auto yearly registrations.  And he's just getting started.  People are leaving this Land of Lincoln's dump EVERYDAY in record numbers!  Outside of these points, its a great place to live. 

There is only one non-ethanol gas station in Sebring (Highlands Co) and it is 8 miles from my house as well as the Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes.  There is a good mechanic here who works on old cars.  We are exactly 100 miles from Orlando.  I should know because I have to go up there to the main Advent hospital on Monday to have a heart valve replaced.  Come on down.  If you don't buy my house, then my Buicks will look great beside your pre-War Lincoln Zephyr.  By the way, the traffic in Orlando is as bad or worse than Chicago or New York.  I dread even driving through on I-4 after 4:30 AM.

3 hours ago, John_Mc said:

Same  story in Massachusetts........state is bankrupt, but the gravy train for the clueless and state workers go on and on. I never thought I would move.........I have been in southern Florida for two years......time is flying.......carful choice of where one lives means nice driving roads, and lots of other opportunities. I wouldn’t go that far north........it’s too cold in the winter, Port St Lucie or further south on the east side is a safe bet. Much less expensive in northern central part of the state. Most important, be sure you live no more than 15 miles from a MAJOR airport. Th best thing about travel when living in the state is LOTS of cheap flight everywhere. I leave in the morning for a trip to New Jersey for the day, and will be back home to sleep in my own bed, for less than 200 dollars round trip. Round trip from my local airport to Paris is currently less than 400 most of the year. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Earl. Just a few words of encouragement for you. My life has been saved by contemporary modern medicine quite a number of times. This goes back to the first time in 1946. Through major neurosurgery over 30 years ago, which not only saved my life, but ended 13 years of ever increasing, and finally unendurable pain. Two recent heart attacks involving 4 vacations in cardiac ICU. Right now, at this very moment, I feel vastly better than at any time since early November when I had coughing up blood pneumonia. Next was the most vicious cold I have ever suffered through. Add 5 falls this year, and you can easily see the sublime joy I am experiencing to have recovered to this point. I am so happy to feel relatively healthy, and rather pain free. I am not quite as old as you are, but my doctors say by the condition of most systems I am more like an 85-90 year old. Hey ! 90 years old feeling as great as I do today is absolutely FANTASTIC , man !  AND, even with a left shoulder bone on bone, and a bit of a nasty hernia, I can STILL drive my ancient Cadillacs !!!

While apprehension over major surgery is certainly a normal reaction, these cardiologists really know what they are doing. You will be OK, Earl. You tell those doctors Cadillac Carl promised you'll be just fine, and they are not allowed to make a liar out of me. And when you are fully recovered, you will feel better than you have for a while. Literally a new lease on life. And you will be glad you still have your '39 Buick !! Thanks for all you have done for the hobby, and our beloved AACA  !!!!!!

Looking forward to a great big smile and a thumbs up from you when you are "On the road again.".   Your forum friend,   -  Cadillac Carl 

• Like 2

At least in Florida an honest politician stays bought. Kidding aside, Florida retirees are such a large group (and have time to lobby) that they influence the politicians and is really "senior friendly", particularly if you stay west of I-4 and west of the 429 bypass is even better. I go to a show nearly every Saturdays and usually take a different car, Weekends the traffic is "less horrible" but I stay mainly west of I-4 & have two super Walmarts, two Sams Clubs, and restaurant row within 5 miles.

Finally there are a surprising number of homes on a bit of acreage with outbuildings (30x40 is common) within 10 miles of a Florida's Turnpike exit.

Back when I drove to work it was usually 74-75F at 7am  23 miles across town took 40 minutes ( hour later it took twice that long) and right now at 9pm it is a comfortable 80F with 62% humidity (afternoon rain cooled things off). Few mention that ACs are more efficient in high (dense) humidity and that is why the daily temperature swing is only about 20F

Thing I have seen over and over though is people move here, usually from up north, last about 2 years, then half go back home. Two years later they decide it wasn't so bad and move back for good.

Here you go:

$354,792

3 bd2 ba1,689 sqft

5645 S Fork Ranch Dr, Clermont, FL 34714

Might mention 40 acres with barn and outbuildings.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

10 hours ago, padgett said:

I resemble that remark. Sebring does get exciting in March (used to be a member of the ARCF).

Oh, now I get it!  I've been here 18 March's since 2001 and have never been to a race.  Racing doesn't really turn me on like most of what they do here in Sebring.  😀

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Here you go:

$354,792

3 bd2 ba1,689 sqft

5645 S Fork Ranch Dr, Clermont, FL 34714

Might mention 40 acres with barn and outbuildings.

Edited 49 minutes ago by padgett (see edit history)

THREE HUNDRED FIFTY FOUR THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED NINETY TWO DOLLARS!!!  EVEN UP IN VIRGINIA IT A PLACE WAS A LOT LESS THAN THAT AND HERE IN SEBRING ITS A LOT LESS THAN EITHER PLACE.  I AIN'T THAT RICH.

Florida real-estate is very strong right now........lots of flight out of all the over taxed blue states. Interestingly, the newcomers are getting into politics down here, screwing up things like they did up north. The large retired population keeps pushing back hard.........only time will tell.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

Florida real-estate is very strong right now........lots of flight out of all the over taxed blue states. Interestingly, the newcomers are getting into politics down here, screwing up things like they did up north. The large retired population keeps pushing back hard.........only time will tell.

Yes Ed you are correct again.  The "subdivision" we have built in has a mailing address of Delray Beach and is sold out but there are many private owned spec houses built and we have been told are selling quickly. Is there an AACA Region up your way or is Miami a better option?

Robert

THREE HUNDRED FIFTY FOUR THOUSAND SEVEN HUNDRED NINETY TWO DOLLARS!!! 

Dyna's reaction to a 40 acre plot with buildings says it all about central Florida land prices. What would it be near LA or Vancouver ? Zillow has my house over $300 large and is in an Orange County (not Orlando) development & configured as 2 bedroom (could be 3)/2 1/2 bath.

ps see here.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

5 hours ago, padgett said:

Dyna's reaction to a 40 acre plot with buildings says it all about central Florida land prices. What would it be near LA or Vancouver ? Zillow has my house over $300 large and is in an Orange County (not Orlando) development & configured as 2 bedroom (could be 3)/2 1/2 bath.

ps see here.

Real Estate guy just priced my house as $179-184K.  That, with a six car garage and a carport, 3 bedrooms, office, living room, dining room, family room kitchen, 2 baths, spa room with jacuzzi and walled lanai, two A/Cs and a whole house generator.  Real people can't live in Orlando, Orange Co. Lee County or virtually anyplace north of  here.  Miami has the best AACA Region.  Coast places have home insurance so high only rich people can afford....like $5,000+ per year.  To afford to live here you have to have been here quite awhile, like 20 years or more.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)

Suspect most of the money for the Clermont property is the 40 acres.

Also a quick check of the property tax for 2018 was $3080

My property tax and insurance cost are about $2500 each

If you really want to find a car property close to Orlando, I would suggest Clermont or the west side in general. East side is overbuilt wetlands IMNSHO.

OTOH Lake Sebring & connected lakes (Florida has A Lot of lakes) is great for recreation & area (Sebring, Lake Wales, Avon Park) has everything you need and are other roads besides 27 (64, 66, 98). That does sound like a good deal.

ps if you do not care for flatlands I'd suggest studying the Lake Wales Ridge. Come the Apocalypse it will probably still be above water.

And then there is Ocean Ridge - an oceanfront trailer park.

On 6/23/2019 at 10:27 AM, Harold said:

Beware of communities with a Homeowners' Association (HOA).  Some of the fine-print in their by-laws is very anti-car!

Based on many of the HOA horror stories I've read they seem to be anti EVERYTHING......... 🤬

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cahartley said:

Based on many of the HOA horror stories I've read they seem to be anti EVERYTHING......... 🤬

A homeowners association and to a much greater extent a condominium association should be looked at as a business partner relationship.  You are one person in a committee of dozens to hundreds of individuals that do not have a common motive, similar thought process or in many cases have no experience with real estate management, all trying to manage commonly owned property that impacts that portion of private property that you own.  Would you go into business with a hundred strangers?  I'm still trying to figure out if anyone but an attorney makes money off these deals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have one, but you don't have to join (I haven't), they are basically inactive except for a Wednesday Bingo day at the building.  I think they have a pancake breakfast once a month.  There is a beach lot at the lake with a picnic area, but nobody uses it.  Best kind of HOA a community can have. 🙂

In 18 years here I've belonged one year....nothing happened all year so I didn't rejoin.

• Haha 1

It all depends on who they are. I pay $150/year for mine and they take care that things stay clean. They have done some things I do not like (speed humps), was on the board once, and used to manage the web site but for the most part they confine themselves to telling people they need the grass cut or house painted & having periodic community garage sales. For my part I keep what is visible from the street (and the backyard even though fenced) neat and clean. Only "anti-car" are no cars are to be parked on the lawn and no boats or trailers (or trash cans) may be visible from the street. Covenants (rules) are published and on the web site. They have had little change since the development was started. Must admit that having paved streets and sidewalks for strolls is nice.

My HOA has fought the county a couple of times about things that would have been useless but expensive and maintain the entrances. The worst ones are the gated communities but those are mostly for 55+ or "rich and famous".

My experience with the HOA where I have a home in Ocala is similar to Mr P, I have no complaints, they keep it nice and get after those who don't. We have 2 1/2 acre zoning there is no need to be looking at somebody's POS RV sitting on the front lawn, everyone there has enough property to keep it out of sight. The HOA serves a purpose. I have a 9 room ranch with a 2 car garage, a 2 1/2 car detached garage, and a 60 X 40 with a lift, only once they contacted me if I could fix a few fence boards that popped. That's good. it just takes one homeowner that does not care to hurt the value of your home. 

I once owned a condo that had a HOA board run by 12 Marine Drill Sargents.........they were crazy tough. BUT....everyone was informed well before the purchase went through. Buildings were maintained as new. After twenty years of ownership I listed the unit for sale at a 10 percent too high of asking price according to the realtor.........sold the place in less than an hour. HOA are not always bad, its just people who don't do due diligence to understand the rules.I rather have a hyper active board, over one that doesn't enforce the rules. 

• Like 1

Funny how car people particularly GM car people tend to have the same cars: Corvairs, Vega/Astre/Monza/Sunbirds, Fieros, Reattas/Allantes, and now CTSs (bothers some that I call mine a "Catera Touring Sedan Coupe".). 2 1/2 acres sounds wonderfull, I  cram all my stuff in .29 acres but the prolific Florida vegetation helps to both hide stuff and protect from storms..

On 6/26/2019 at 1:31 PM, Dynaflash8 said:

Real Estate guy just priced my house as $179-184K.  That, with a six car garage and a carport, 3 bedrooms, office, living room, dining room, family room kitchen, 2 baths, spa room with jacuzzi and walled lanai, two A/Cs and a whole house generator.  Real people can't live in Orlando, Orange Co. Lee County or virtually anyplace north of  here.  Miami has the best AACA Region.  Coast places have home insurance so high only rich people can afford....like $5,000+ per year.  To afford to live here you have to have been here quite awhile, like 20 years or more.

Your place would be an easy 700k where I live.

Even more if it is in a very desirable area.

11 minutes ago, zepher said:

Your place would be an easy 700k where I live.

Even more if it is in a very desirable area.

Well..................don't I wish.  Sebring has always been a place where old people come from up north in areas like where you live so they can live off of Social Security.  I guess it is what it is.  I thought if I held onto my '39 Buick convertible sedan long enough I could maximize what it was worth........and apparently I held onto it too long.  So, my parents had a house in Winter Park, FL they bought in 1960 for $60,000 and they sold it 33 years later for $75,000.  A few years later the house was torn down and a $750,000 house built on the postage stamp size lot.  It's the story of Florida, but the gravy train hasn't reached Sebring yet.  I improved my house way over the surrounding neighborhood.  I put a $105,000 addition on my house in 2007, but none of the neighbors did.  My

Calif is crazy expensive anywhere in So Cal or the Bay Area.

You have to get out in the middle of nowhere and even then it's expensive.

I have a 5 year plan to get my things in order, maybe thin the herd a little and then move to a state where it's actually reasonable to live.

20 hours ago, padgett said:

Funny how car people particularly GM car people tend to have the same cars: Corvairs, Vega/Astre/Monza/Sunbirds, Fieros, Reattas/Allantes, and now CTSs (bothers some that I call mine a "Catera Touring Sedan Coupe".). 2 1/2 acres sounds wonderfull, I  cram all my stuff in .29 acres but the prolific Florida vegetation helps to both hide stuff and protect from storms..

Not really, I never owned a Corvair, the only reason I own the Vega is because it is Cosworth, the only reason I have the Monza is because it is a Mirage. otherwise I would never consider an "H" body. I have always bought my wife a new car every 4-6 years, this time she picked the CTS.. I call mine a small P.O.S., hard to get in and out of.

Yes the 2 1/2 acres is nice,  I grew up in the Bronx and lived in the NYC suburbs in the land of 50 X 100's 

• Like 1

Have always liked small cars. Had several Vega GTs and an Astre wagon for DDs. My Sunbird was also  a V8/4speed/posi. Looked at a Monza but liked the Snowflake wheels better.

Biggest problem with the CTS  is all the bling and pseudo track stuff (Crossfire Coupe will run rings around it). Have also had several Camaros and Firebirds and Corvettes but outgrew (literally) them so CTS is the only coupe in the GM lineup. Also has a full set of gauges and a DOHC-6. And a roof vent (nice for parking in Florida) that doesn't open fully. Premium package has lotsa toys and have added full Android Auto to the touchscream. So am restructuring it to be a two place long distance road car. Am pretty close. Do think Cad is trying to fill Pontiac's shoes. Have added Velcro to important buttons so can find without looking.

Am a Floridian. Other state I like is Texas home of Jackalopes and giant armadillos that knock over beer trucks. Grew up in south east ("Gold") coast and moved to Orlando because in center of state (no salt), protected from violent weather (hurricanes do not like to be over land), has a world class airport (needed for job), and cheap to live. Today Dyna's place would be great just most friends are in Orlando and Daytona area.

Yes most "thickly settled" places have traffic issues but there are also miles and miles of miles and miles (Florida is second largest beef producing state) here & since I can chose when to go places, 100 miles is about an hour and a half and 50 miles is "around the corner". Yes we have densely populated places primarily because there are few through east-west roads, population with one exception is mainly near the coasts (I avoid I-4 between Lakeland and Sanford (AutoTrain terminus) if at all possible. (Lanes keep changing and lane markings disappear when wet.)) (Is nesting of parens legal ? It is in programming.)

Strange thing is the I-4 traffic going south/west usually are moving while north/east is constantly clogged. I keep wondering when Tampa is going to run out of cars.

Better get started Chicago Car Guy.  I've been looking around Lake City (north Florida) on line.  Houses up there are selling like hotcakes.  I'd be going to look, but I'm sort of stuck.  Tomorrow I go into the hospital for an aortic valve replacement surgery to my heart on Wednesday.  Yuck, two days of tests first.

Dynaflash8

Zillow is your friend. Can be very specific about what you want. If serious about "10 miles from Orlando" then Orange, Lake, Osceola, & Seminole, and maybe Polk counties. Clermont is zip 34711-34715. Best is to visit and see what is here to help decide what you want. CR455 is a fun road. Is something car related every week (though are some cars that can't get wet).

7 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

Tomorrow I go into the hospital for an aortic valve replacement surgery to my heart on Wednesday.  Yuck, two days of tests first.

Dynaflash8

Earl,

Wishing you the best for your surgery, and a prayer for the skill of your surgeon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 3:58 AM, kgreen said:

A homeowners association and to a much greater extent a condominium association should be looked at as a business partner relationship.  You are one person in a committee of dozens to hundreds of individuals that do not have a common motive, similar thought process or in many cases have no experience with real estate management, all trying to manage commonly owned property that impacts that portion of private property that you own.  Would you go into business with a hundred strangers?  I'm still trying to figure out if anyone but an attorney makes money off these deals.

Where I used to live the CC&R's gave the HOA board members a "in good faith clause" Stated something like, if you acted in good faith, you are covered from any legal issues that could come up. I wonder if a clause like that has ever been tested? Say there was a few meetings where information exposing some shady stuff was shared with committee and board members. And say that information pulled a David Copperfield and disappeared. In a court of law, would that fall under the good faith clause, if legal issues came up? 

On 6/26/2019 at 8:08 AM, padgett said:

hard to shake sand

eh? Shake sand and it liquefies, if it is a young formation and has a high water table. Buildings sink, breakup, fall over, etc. Ask the www about liquefaction.

Not many EQs in Florida because it is a long way from tectonic plate boundaries.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yup, sand and alluvial fan areas don't fair well when the ground starts to quiver.

Most places built on fill material don't weather quakes too well, either.

Best to have a mix of soil and various sized aggregate, up to boulder size, when the earth starts to wiggle.

Hi Earl !  Sounds like those miracle making cardiologists did a comprehensive overhaul. A few "as long as I am here, might as well........." opportunities. Getting even more rebuilt than originally anticipated will really make a significant improvement when you have fully recovered. As I am sure you have  been told, full recovery takes a relatively long time. Just hang in there, follow doctor's orders, and go for a drive in your beautiful 1939 Buick as soon as you are able. You might be very glad you didn't sell it. I expect you will find that the world is an even more beautiful place (even the Sebring area), than it was before your surgery.

Patience, my forum friend. Patience and courage.   -   Carl 

• Like 3

Earl, sent you and email, had not been following this thread but it's good to hear from you.  As long as you can still bang on your keyboard, keep us up to date on your progress.  We're all pulling for you.

Terry

Earl,

Dale and I are pulling for you,

stay tough and work your way back so we can plan more Sentimental Tours