2019 BCA National Meet - Midwest City OK

BUICK RACER

On 1/22/2019 at 2:08 PM, 2carb40 said:

Thanx much for responding. I appreciate open mindedness!

I have discussed your suggestion with the National Meet Committee members and all think it is a great idea. They will be handed out starting this year in Midwest City , when you pick up your registration packet. The Committee thanks you for your suggestion.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Peter Gariepy unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

When the registration form was first created, we thought the room rate was $119.  However, later we learned the rate was actually $124.  The registration form was incorrect.  The rooms are $124 per night.  We apologize for the misunderstanding.

Spending today and tonight in Midwest City working on plans for the meet. The parking lots are huge; all hotels are within walking distance of the convention center; outdoor swap meet will be on lower level of the parking garage. Get those registrations in now! I have to finalize the bus reservations this month, and I am going to cancel the tours that are not filling up because bus rental is expensive and I can't afford to rent a bus if only half of it fills up! REGISTER NOW, not at the last minute!

IMG_1697resized.jpg

IMG_1700resized.jpg

IMG_1696resized.jpg

IMG_1694resized.jpg

IMG_1693resized.jpg

IMG_1691resized.jpg

IMG_1702.JPG

• Like 2

On 3/13/2019 at 4:36 PM, MrEarl said:

Got a KOA space reserved in OKC then Sunday taking Route 66  for 4-5 hours on over to Amarillo to another campground and take in this. 

http://www.rvmuseum.net/

Anybody care to join us

@Ben Bruce aka First Born

Lamar, another auto related site just west of Amarillo on Rt 66 is "Cadillac Ranch", ten half buried Cadillacs(`49-`63)nose first..

1 hour ago, pont35cpe said:

Lamar, another auto related site just west of Amarillo on Rt 66 is "Cadillac Ranch", ten half buried Cadillacs(`49-`63)nose first..

Cool, been there with my son years ago, I'm sure Rita would be simply amazed by it though🤣...thanks

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:45 PM, Pete Phillips said:

Aerial view of Bud's Salvage (Thursday's optional bus tour). They have 4,500 cars, back to 1948.

C:\Users\Pete\Pictures\bud's salvage aerial photo.htm

Pete,

The address you show is to your C drive, pictures folder.

Preview of some of the things on the Rte. 66 driving tour...the photo of the narrow road and my car on it is the oldest, original, paved section of Rte. 66 in all of Oklahoma, dating from 1928. The lanes are 9 feet wide and it is the original concrete.  The soft drink place, known as Pop's is not old, but has hundreds of varieties of soda pop from all over the world, as well as a good selection of Rte. 66 guidebooks for sale.

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_1927.JPG interpretive ctr 33.9 miles.JPG

IMG_1923.JPG phillips gas 33.7 mi alternate.JPG

IMG_1908.JPG Pops 5 miles.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG Pops 5miles alternate.JPG

IMG_1920.JPG orig 1928concrete pave66.JPG

• Like 1

For those wanting to do drag racing during the national meet, I found this venue which is located about 30-35 miles southwest of Midwest City.  Looks like they have  organized drag racing on Friday evening the 14th of June for $20 per car, and they are hosting the Oklahoma Nostalgia Nationals on Saturday, June 15th.  Since  I've had no requests for drag racing during our meet, I am not organizing anything formal, but those who wish to go to this track and participate are certainly welcome to do so.

Pete

https://www.okthunder.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 3/20/2019 at 8:58 AM, MrEarl said:

Cool, been there with my son years ago, I'm sure Rita would be simply amazed by it though🤣...thanks

If you are in Amarillo  Just 15 miles south is Palo Duro Canyon.   Well wot=rth going to see.

2 hours ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

If you are in Amarillo  Just 15 miles south is Palo Duro Canyon.   Well wot=rth going to see.

Thanks Bill! we saw that when looking into Amarillo campgrounds. Considered camping there and riding up to Amarillo or vice verse . If you or anyone are familiar with the RV campsites at Palo Duro, any recommendations. 

Sorry @Pete Phillips if I'm hijacking your thread? 

There is a campground in the canyon that we stayed at one time.  Don't.  It was so very unbelievably hot. But there are several around the area. And if you are staying around Amarillo, I have a short list of restaurants you need to visit, too.  When we go in the direction of Colorado, we hit Amarillo right about lunch time, so we have a few of our favorites that we frequent.

• Thanks 1

Oklahoma publishes a travel guide that is worth asking for. They break the state up in sections and each section has some good information depending your route. This book is free of charge.

Contact

Travel Promotion Division

P.O. Box 52002

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73152-2002

or email them at 

information@TravelOK.com

Lots of interesting stuff to see

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2019 at 9:01 AM, TxBuicks said:

There is a campground in the canyon that we stayed at one time.  Don't.  It was so very unbelievably hot. But there are several around the area. And if you are staying around Amarillo, I have a short list of restaurants you need to visit, too.  When we go in the direction of Colorado, we hit Amarillo right about lunch time, so we have a few of our favorites that we frequent.

Well looks like there’s going to be a lot of hot folks there the week after the Nationals, out of the 4-5 different campsite in the Canyon, not a single space left, all booked up. We’ve got a space at Fort Amarillo for 3 days so plenty of time to cruise around. Shoot me the names of those restaurants 😀

Ok folks, more spots are opening up in the host hotel!  Brian D. let me know he had a spot opening up due to an erroneous double-booking.  I was able to get booked, and the booking coordinator said this somehow happened to a lot of people, so more spots will be opening up.  Check it out if you still want to get in!

On 4/7/2019 at 1:33 PM, Pete Phillips said:

For those wanting to do drag racing during the national meet, I found this venue which is located about 30-35 miles southwest of Midwest City.  Looks like they have  organized drag racing on Friday evening the 14th of June for $20 per car, and they are hosting the Oklahoma Nostalgia Nationals on Saturday, June 15th.  Since  I've had no requests for drag racing during our meet, I am not organizing anything formal, but those who wish to go to this track and participate are certainly welcome to do so.

Pete

https://www.okthunder.com/

We have been considering this.  I’ve watched drags, but have never participated.  It’s kind of a bucket list item for me, although none of my cars would provide much of a performance.  My current thoughts are to drive the Skyhawk to participate in the Unrestored class, but that’s a dog...with the manual transmission, I may be able to get the 1941 down 1/4 mile faster 😳😉. The most likely candidate would be the 1976 Century PCR.  Prior to my ownership, it’s seen some tweaks, so is a bit hotter than when it left the assembly line.  The Wildcat would be a second choice, although it’s a heavier car.  Going as spectators Friday evening would also be an option just for something different.  Each driver is required to purchase a tech card, so if Luke and I both want to take a run, we would need to purchase two.  I don’t think Teresa is particularly adventurous in that realm.  I’m certain our cars won’t be fast enough to require a helmet, although it may be prudent.  They do have a few available to rent if need be.

At present it looks like three of us will be driving down and one flying as it would help her avoid a couple extra days off work.  I’ve been told the back seat of the Skyhawk won’t do for an extended drive, so assuming that car remains plan A, we are either putting it in the trailer or driving two cars down.

Edited by Thriller
Added a couple more lines. (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Thriller said:

I’ve watched drags, but have never participated.

Same for me.  I figure with my luck  I'd break something expensive to fix. 

2 hours ago, Thriller said:

I’m certain our cars won’t be fast enough to require a helmet, although it may be prudent.  

Better check into this.  As far as I understand that is the minimum piece of equipment. 

On 4/17/2019 at 9:12 AM, TxBuicks said:

The May 26 deadline is coming up quickly.  Less than 60 days before the meet begins.  It is shaping up to be a good meet. Get those registrations in.

Hey Roy, are you doing any of the driving tours. I promised the tI would take photos for the bugle and I am trying to decide which tours I should sign up for in order to get that done

Anyone else camping at Thunderbird?  We’ll be there all week. 

I’ve shared this thread before, but I recently shared some fresh OKC bombing memorial photos on Facebook that Pete asked me to share over here. I’ll just add them to my other thread in a few minutes. 

By the way, I’m working the Friday morning downtown bus tour...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SpecialEducation said:

Anyone else camping at Thunderbird?  We’ll be there all week

Thunderbird? 

Oic, Thunderbird Lake. Looks like most of the better sites are taken. Guess we’ll keep the one already booked. 

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Peter, I saw the map in the June Bugle, how far a walk is it to the showfield? it looks like a hike will there be shuttles or how will the slow people get there? I suppose if there is a parking area for spectators they could park there, but let us know so we can tell friends Thanks for everything! 

There will be shuttles running constantly from the hotels to the show field on Saturday.  There is also a cart path from the host hotel to the show field for easier travelling, not having to take the main roads. Every effort is being made so that the separate show field will not be a problem.

Meet update: We only have 26 judging volunteers signed up so far. Need a lot more than that. You get a free breakfast on Saturday a.m., plus a judges' pin, and you get to be up close to old Buicks that you love.

It looks like the bus tour to Bud's Salvage is going to sell out very soon. If you want to go, better get your registration in very soon, or you'll be disappointed.

Pete Phillips

Meet Chairman

• Like 1

The 2019 BCA National Meet show field has been moved to the Reed Conference Center parking lot, which is a lot more convenient. The Rose State College parking lot is now for trailer parking only. Please also note additional updates to the schedule on the new revised 2019 Meet Schedule and Map which is posted here and will also be printed on the back page of the June issue.(The Buick Bugle office will be closed from June 9-June 16 due to preparations for and coverage of the BCA national meet. Please do your Bugle business before or after that week.)

Revised Meet Schedule.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1