Gauge trio - oil pressure, voltmeter and water temperature

Schmiddy

I'm thinking about to install these gauge trio...
Does any of you guys made some experiences with these?

I've seen them on OPGI for 85$... are some similar gauges available from other suppliers? (must be analogue - no digital gauges!)
Any specialities or difficulties encountered while mounting?
What do I have to take in consideration to be able to install them right? Connections?? Specific plugs or any specials to install first???

Every useful input is very appreciate! Thank you very much! ??

C210359-lrg.jpg

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)

Schmiddy, where would you put them with the Riviera's console in the way? I can't think of a location that wouldn't look

bad. If you want gauges I would pursue a custom cluster with new gauges where the old ones were. It has been done on

these cars before with breathtaking results that look very nice.

Auto Gage is a less expensive line of the good Auto Meter brand. Look at Auto Meter's website, they have TONS of designs. I am wanting a fuel level gauge only and run all new wiring to my sending unit since I am STILL at a standstill to my fuel level problem. I am down to removing the tank myself at some point and checking my new sending unit by ohming it IN THE TANK while its empty to see if the float arm is bent incorrectly. A new gauge and new wiring all the way back may help. Just not sure where to put it.

Edited by jframe (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Schmiddy, where would you put them with the Riviera's console in the way? I can't think of a location that wouldn't look

bad. If you want gauges I would pursue a custom cluster with new gauges where the old ones were. It has been done on

Such as this one, for example...

CF7EEF98-38C0-419E-BD9F-E98CD42F3DB7.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Schmiddy said:

I'm thinking about to install these gauge trio...
Does any of you guys made some experiences with these?

I've seen them on OPGI for 85$... are some similar gauges available from other suppliers? (must be analogue - no digital gauges!)
Any specialities or difficulties encountered while mounting?
What do I have to take in consideration to be able to install them right? Connections?? Specific plugs or any specials to install first???

Every useful input is very appreciate! Thank you very much! ??

C210359-lrg.jpg

Placement seems to be the most difficult part. Here are a few creative solutions...

E91BD50E-A2F1-4E05-8BCD-06F3D8661268.jpeg

68B91EB8-ACFE-4044-82E4-8919975D72CA.jpeg

6AE77048-5584-4290-8E36-BD4444207A74.jpeg

86F42A9B-23EE-4E96-9E21-F7EC23B740DB.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Mr. Seafoam, how about replacing the existing idiot light gauge in the dash with a custom cluster? Instead of me loosing my ash tray and possibly ac vent I’d just substitute the idiot lights with the Ana log UE gauge I’m after?

red Riviera bob

1 hour ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Mr. Seafoam, how about replacing the existing idiot light gauge in the dash with a custom cluster? Instead of me loosing my ash tray and possibly ac vent I’d just substitute the idiot lights with the Ana log UE gauge I’m after?

red Riviera bob

Agreed Bob. I don't like the gauges in the console because you have to take your eyes off the road to glance at them. If you put them

under the dash to the left of the console you have to stare at the floor to read them and they are in the way of your legs as well. I think a custom

cluster is the only way to go for gauges in these cars.

• Like 1

None of those gauges is as reliable as a properly maintained cooling, electrical, or lubrication system.

If you were driving and saw a gauge indicate a problem what would be the first thing you would do? Look for a broken belt that should have been changed, look for a rotted hose that should have been changed, check the oil and add a quart because a gasket or seal let too much leak out?

When I bought my '60 Electra it had three gauges installed. I removed them when the face of the oil gauge filled with oil. I planned to anyway.

I use them to keep an eye on a fresh engine to be sure things are right. Otherwise, preventing anything they might tell me is better.

Bernie

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

None of those gauges is as reliable as a properly maintained cooling, electrical, or lubrication system.

If you were driving and saw a gauge indicate a problem what would be the first thing you would do? Look for a broken belt that should have been changed, look for a rotted hose that should have been changed, check the oil and add a quart because a gasket or seal let too much leak out?

When I bought my '60 Electra it had three gauges installed. I removed them when the face of the oil gauge filled with oil. I planned to anyway.

I use them to keep an eye on a fresh engine to be sure things are right. Otherwise, preventing anything they might tell me is better.

Bernie

Bernie, that is a great point you just made. Gauges are  primarily used to tell you what you forgot to maintain on your car! 

• Like 1

I like to see gages because you get a better feel for your car over time and know if somethings up ahead of time when you are used to seeing them in a particuler spot.  I was surprised at the oil pressure difference when I went from 10w-30 to 10w-40.  My engine is tired and my idle pressure hot is about 5psi with the 10w-30  and 10psi at 10w-40.  Highway was 20psi and is now 29psi with the the 10w-40.  Plus I'm always amazed at how much higher my oil pressure is after an oil change.   The old oil doesn't smell like gas so there can't be to much gas getting passed the rings.

The temp is the most interesting to watch.  It hovers around 180 which matches the theromostat 90% of the time.  But on hot days with the A/C on it can get close to 195.

I have a slow water pump leak and about once a month or every 500 miles I have to top off the radiator.  I always know it's getting low when the gage starts swings between 190 and 180 while driving letting me know the coolant is low because the thermostat is cycling.   

If you get a quality brand of gages you should have no gage problems.   Plus I still have all the stock idiot lights hooked up so I have no surprises.

But  like others have said there are few places for gages in these cars without customizing things.

Edited by rapom (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not a fan of mechanical oil pressure gauges. I have one in my toolbox to use as "diagnostic equipment", but I don't leave it on a car any longer than necessary. That little plastic tube makes me very nervous. You can probably still get copper, but copper work hardens. If you use copper be sure to make a few loops to take up any engine movement.

Years ago a co-worker of mine had a Cadillac with a white interior, and one of those 3-gauge kits with the plastic tube. One cold winter day he started the car,  and while it warmed up on fast idle, he went back inside. He came back outside a little while later to find the engine rattling like crazy. The oil was all in the front floorboard.

IMHO opt for the electric oil pressure gauge.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Schmiddy,

tis your Riviera so put em where you want. I would suggest where you can see them at a glance perhaps above the centre air outlet seems appropriate. 

Otherwise you could always fabricate a housing that fits on top of the dash board.

We had a ‘63 and ‘64 Holden and an aftermarket gauge housing was neat, almost factory looking, when in place. Very popular and still are with this fraternity.

C9FF158B-800F-496D-B64E-D6FACF6D0310.png

• Thanks 1

Gents, two places ( both kinda weird) on other model cars, were mounted in the (1) engine compartment, and (2) was on a hinge down low on the dash. I guess you could flip the cluster down to view and flip it up at a show.  Like I said kinda weird. On my `64 I used the flip up ashtray for my air suspension switches and the little rectangle box with the flip up lid in the consul for the air gauges.  Schmiddy, you are a great technician I for one look forward to your resolution of the gauge cluster placement .  

• Thanks 1

I have auxiliary gauges in my '64 Riviera and my '86 Park ave. The Park Ave are mounted under the hood and were installed after replacing the engine. That location was chosen so I could look and listen while the engine was first running. My focus was on verifying nothing was overlooked. They are still there an I look at them when I check things over once in a while after driving. Removing them would be more involved than I want to get into.

022.thumb.jpg.5bfa1f97edee8c140ad5be8581c5e980.jpg

It really was big big job and I had concerns.

0922111915.thumb.jpg.dd067e282ee3051d9deea885f66a7611.jpg

On the Riviera, the "Hot" temperature light was coming on when I knew it shouldn't. That was 10 or 15 years ago. It has a temperature gauge tie wrapped to the AC liquid line. I am going to get around to replacing that sending unit some day. I open the hood and look at that sometimes.

Thinking about it, I rarely look at the speedometer. And during the Summer I top off the gas tanks on Sunday. I guess I am not much of a gauge guy, but pretty good at practicing my sermons.

Bernie

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Someone mentioned mechanical oil gage...........I would go with electric sending units and gages for ease of routing the wires.........the mechanical gages are harder to get thru the firewall and sometime not long enough.

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2018 at 10:47 AM, Seafoam65 said:

Bernie, that is a great point you just made. Gauges are  primarily used to tell you what you forgot to maintain on your car! 

Bernie, Winston both are right. Having gauges placed in the a car as an extra is something a well meaningperson wants to do. 100% correct on maintaining a vehicle with proper oil level, clean filter and good oil, plenty of coolant or H2O is what we want to do. My experience, so far with these old cars you can’t leave anything unattended. I make sure every time I go out with the Red Riviera the water and oil AND gasoline level are checked. I’m just trying get alarms that will help ,me from ruining a perfectly good engine.

thank you 

Red Riviera Bob

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 12:34 PM, rapom said:

I like to see gages because you get a better feel for your car over time and know if somethings up ahead of time when you are used to seeing them in a particuler spot.  I was surprised at the oil pressure difference when I went from 10w-30 to 10w-40.  My engine is tired and my idle pressure hot is about 5psi with the 10w-30  and 10psi at 10w-40.  Highway was 20psi and is now 29psi with the the 10w-40.  Plus I'm always amazed at how much higher my oil pressure is after an oil change.   The old oil doesn't smell like gas so there can't be to much gas getting passed the rings.

The temp is the most interesting to watch.  It hovers around 180 which matches the theromostat 90% of the time.  But on hot days with the A/C on it can get close to 195.

I have a slow water pump leak and about once a month or every 500 miles I have to top off the radiator.  I always know it's getting low when the gage starts swings between 190 and 180 while driving letting me know the coolant is low because the thermostat is cycling.   

If you get a quality brand of gages you should have no gage problems.   Plus I still have all the stock idiot lights hooked up so I have no surprises.

But  like others have said there are few places for gages in these cars without customizing things.

You know your car and what makes things happen under different circumstances. I appreciate the info regarding the 10W30 vs 10 W40 oil and the oil pressure. Knowing you have a slow water pump leak and you minding to put water back I. The radiator every.500 miles demonstrates attention to good car care. Once, my 20 yr. old pick up was showing signs the water was real hot in the radiator. I stopped lifted the hood, got a big rag and for the life of me I could not get the cap off the radiator. I was in mind of getting a pipe wrench to remove the radiator cap. I called a friend and told him the problem. He asked a number of questions and then asked if I was pushing DOWN on the cap as I was trying to remove it from the radiator. I’m happy I can still laugh at myself.

Red Riviera Bob

On 4/23/2018 at 7:43 PM, kegart said:

I put a oil pressure and water temperture gauge in the ash tray so I could hide them. No room for volt gauge.

20171211_154240.jpg

20171211_154229.jpg

Now, that is an outstanding idea. My kill switch in the ashtray will have to be rerouted to another hiding place. That is really a capital idea if I’ve e very seen one. Thank you so much fo posting.

Red Riviera Bob

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Very similar to the original. You could e an keep the original clock ?

1192890778_gauge3.jpg.556f107069ee52d91f7b4ad92d640d81(1).thumb.jpg.7898be9effafc40a12f6486e4b5905b3.jpg

Those would look awesome in any early Riviera........Schmiddy there you go and do an article on the conversion for the Riview.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Those would look awesome in any early Riviera........Schmiddy there you go and do an article on the conversion for the Riview.

I was doing a Google search using "quad four gauges Riviera" as my search.  Strangely enough, this picture came from an old AACA thread.  There was some discussion and there was a request for a picture of them when installed, but there was no follow up.

Here's a link to that thread

Perhaps the person who started the thread will see this and add some updated pictures.

Ed

Thanks for all the responses and pictures, gauges are great but you do have to find a place to install them.  I like the

one  under the ashtray door on the console so it does not distract from the original look of the car, I also like the

electric Oil and Temp Gauges so no oil or water would be inside my car with the possibility of them leaking.

Thanks to all that contributed.  Paul

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Sir, they certainly look like that is the way they came from the factory. Looks good, real good.

Red Riviera Bob

They are Faria Euro 2" Gauges but they are no longer manufactured in that style. Sometime they come up on eBay.

On my current resto I am using Speedhut Gauges. They are USA made and you can design them yourself on their web site.

Notice Speedhut Logo removed from the face of the gauge to remove signs of after market.

TomK

20180426_082152.jpg

• Like 2

Hi you all!
Sorry to react that late, was on the road the last 3 days...

Wow, I'm amazed about all the great feedbacks I got on this thread, I very appreciate and thank you all!  ??
Well, now I'm a bit confuse 'cos some people say do it,  other say don't!   ...in fact, I want to be able to keep an eye on oil pressure and on the water temperature. Volt gauge is not necessary, but if they come in a kit, why not...

Right, you got it all to the point... where to place the whole thing? Basically, I'm not a fan of replacing the original dashboard with modern or digital ones (but thank you Ed, If I would change my Riv in kind of hotrod, I would take the Dakota , wich look pretty cool in my opinion:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=997/category_id=411/mode=prod/prd997.htm

But basically I want to preserve the original look of the dashboard... (why I hid my new radio in the glove compartment, to keep my old and not working radio on the original place - only the indicator light works on the radio ?. Ray also asked me to write about this installation, will eventually be in the Riview someday ?).
So because I want to preserve the original look, it is important to me to place these gauges as inconspicuous as possible, but still visible when I need them...

The solution in the ashtray compartment I found so far the coolest way to hide these gauges! ?? ?? Really clever and this idea is probably the one that I will follow as perfectly integrated and yet not immediately visible - with a short press I can see what's goin on!

Even when I want the gauges hidden, they must have that old look... The ones I found from OPGI looks +/- appropriate (even in a triple pack). But if there are nice gauges in a cool retro look that are not too large and I may buy separately, then of course, such! Must be electric in order not to imitate the evil incidents Bloo described! After I remade my whole interior, such a leak would be catastrophic! ?

@kegart Thank you so much for that great idea! I guess this is the one for me! Are these gauges illuminated?

@jframe Thanks Marc, I will take a look at Auto Meter's website

@60FlatTop Bernie, absolutely agree with you, prevention is better than cure! ...will have a look at my sending unit too! Thanks for that hint!

@RivNut Ed, sure! As soon I've done it, I will send some pics of my final solution (...and if Ray want me to write about that too,  it is always a pleasure to share what I've learned in the Review! Here I muss say,  some of you guys are great role models for me! ?

@Seafoam65 Winston, sure, these black 4part gauges Ed mentioned look absolutely gorgeous! But unfortunately, this will not be the way I'll go... Sorry! ?? 

@The rest of you guys: Thank you so much for your great support, inputs and very good informations, I always very appreciate! ?

Edited by Schmiddy (see edit history)

Hi Schmiddy,

i would suggest as TomK does to look at SpeedHuts website, where you design your own. I realise you don't have the same space as in my '63 but their gauges are great, easy to install and look OEM. What's more they are digital. Easy to read at a glance and gives confidence in all the work on the cooling system and oil pressure. 

Just my two bobs worth. ??????

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Schmiddy said:

Hi you all!
Sorry to react that late, was on the road the last 3 days...

Wow, I'm amazed about all the great feedbacks I got on this thread, I very appreciate and thank you all!  ??
Well, now I'm a bit confuse 'cos some people say do it,  other say don't!   ...in fact, I want to be able to keep an eye on oil pressure and on the water temperature. Volt gauge is not necessary, but if they come in a kit, why not...

Right, you got it all to the point... where to place the whole thing? Basically, I'm not a fan of replacing the original dashboard with modern or digital ones (but thank you Ed, If I would change my Riv in kind of hotrod, I would take the Dakota , wich look pretty cool in my opinion:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=997/category_id=411/mode=prod/prd997.htm

But basically I want to preserve the original look of the dashboard... (why I hid my new radio in the glove compartment, to keep my old and not working radio on the original place - only the indicator light works on the radio ?. Ray also asked me to write about this installation, will eventually be in the Riview someday ?).
So because I want to preserve the original look, it is important to me to place these gauges as inconspicuous as possible, but still visible when I need them...

The solution in the ashtray compartment I found so far the coolest way to hide these gauges! ?? ?? Really clever and this idea is probably the one that I will follow as perfectly integrated and yet not immediately visible - with a short press I can see what's goin on!

Even when I want the gauges hidden, they must have that old look... The ones I found from OPGI looks +/- appropriate (even in a triple pack). But if there are nice gauges in a cool retro look that are not too large and I may buy separately, then of course, such! Must be electric in order not to imitate the evil incidents Bloo described! After I remade my whole interior, such a leak would be catastrophic! ?

@kegart Thank you so much for that great idea! I guess this is the one for me! Are these gauges illuminated?

@jframe Thanks Marc, I will take a look at Auto Meter's website

@60FlatTop Bernie, absolutely agree with you, prevention is better than cure! ...will have a look at my sending unit too! Thanks for that hint!

@RivNut Ed, sure! As soon I've done it, I will send some pics of my final solution (...and if Ray want me to write about that too,  it is always a pleasure to share what I've learned in the Review! Here I muss say,  some of you guys are great role models for me! ?

@Seafoam65 Winston, sure, these black 4part gauges Ed mentioned look absolutely gorgeous! But unfortunately, this will not be the way I'll go... Sorry! ?? 

@The rest of you guys: Thank you so much for your great support, inputs and very good informations, I always very appreciate! ?

Yes the gauge are illuminated. I still have the oil and temp lights hooked up to get my attention if I have the ash tray closed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Schmiddy,

i would suggest as TomK does to look at SpeedHuts website, where you design your own. I realise you don't have the same space as in my '63 but their gauges are great, easy to install and look OEM. What's more they are digital. Easy to read at a glance and gives confidence in all the work on the cooling system and oil pressure. 

Just my two bobs worth. ??????

Right Rodney, I have less space to built them in, but if I could find the right ones, this would be great! 
The way you did yours looks very, very nice! The whole console looks outstanding and you did a great job on it! 
Thanks for the info, I will take a look at SpeedHuts... maybe I'm gonna find the right one! (I hope ??)

5 minutes ago, pyntre said:

Mine in a 65 .... 

A97E9135-BFDB-4BF0-8DB9-22900710713B.jpeg

Those gauges look awesome......well done. It would be great if you could break down what all is involved in getting them

installed and working correctly.

I think the Bible would be an easier read than trying to explain this project !!!? There isn’t a stock piece of wire in the car , and lots of  modern updates to most of the systems and components .  Lots of hours of tinkering and fabricating , cutting and fitting .... anything specific I might be able to answer ?!?! Thanks for the complement !!! Much appreciated !!!

• Haha 2

I would think the wiring would be fairly straightforward, I am curious about what is involved in physically mounting them into the

old dash cluster and what you had to do to make the fuel gauge work properly and if it required a different sending unit. On the speedo I assume a new

cable had to be fabricated?  Is the oil pressure gauge electronic? Did the speedo require a different speedo gear in the trans or is it electronic

reading off the driveshaft? Those type of questions. Sounds like it was a difficult time consuming project. Also I see you have an Ididit steering column. I think folks would be curious about what is involved in putting one of those in an early Riviera as well. These would be fascinating tech articles for the Riview magazine.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

I sent my original column to IDIDIT so they could exactly replicate all the dimensions ... the new one bolted right in !   These gauges fit nicely inside the original steel chrome bezels from the dash , I had to cut the back side of the gauge panel “buckets”  for ease of wiring and made some cross bars to pull the gauges down slightly to stay in place . Everything is electric , so senders are easy to mount and wires easy to run through the firewall , the speedo is driven by a 3 wire speed sensor , easy , drive a measured mile , hit a ground button and it calibrates the speedo for the gear ratio in the car . And the fuel gauge is 0-90 ohm, so plug  and play for the most part ... you have to be able to read a schematic well and know how 12 volts work but it went together rather well !  I am into this car 11 years now , just got the interior done this winter , built a 69 Chevelle too in 3 years ( much easier !!!!! )  ... these Rivieras are a complex beast , and uber expensive compared to the rest !!! 

Well it wasn’t cheap to ship MY column 2 ways , to them and back ,,, but it wasn’t any more than their normal aftermarket stuff price tag + - a few bucks ,,, not cheap but I didn’t want to deal with old wiring , connectors , tilt problems , going into this ... and the speed sensor screws right to the transmission where the original speedo cable went ,,, Technology , I don’t understand most of it , but willing to use it if it’s not too complicated !