Drone appearance!

46 woodie

Did anyone else see the drone that hovered over the show field on Saturday for a few seconds and then fly away? I thought it was someone taking pictures for the AACA, but when it headed south over the tree line I knew it wasn't. Thankfully it didn't crash into any show cars!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Clearly you wouldn't

want one flying over your secluded back yard

taking pictures of your wife in her bathing suit!

Not mine but someone else's would be OK...................Bob

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was wondering, if it did crash into someones car if it could be traced somehow. Don't they all need serial numbers now and aren't they recorded somewhere?

In an interesting side note, I attended the RV show in Hershey a few weeks ago.  It's held on what we call the Green field area, and parking is on what we call the Chocolate field area.

There was a drone that went up mid day while I was there, and stayed up for quite a while in the same location, obviously taking pictures or movie of the event from the sky.  Makes me wonder if HE & R knew about that one!

•  
  •  
  • John_S_in_Penna
  • Members
  • 3,349 posts

What are the rules for drones?

I've heard they need further development for

this more recent invention.  Clearly you wouldn't

want one flying over your secluded back yard

taking pictures of your wife in her bathing suit!

Unfortunately, they are totally legal and not much you can do about it. BTW if you pull you shotgun out and shoot it down in your own yard, you can be arrested.

Ridiculous, but what our society has become.

•  

I wanted to buy one for my business to do exterior building inspections with a camera. Turned out I needed a pilot's license to use it connected to the business.

Like so many things, if the value of the infraction is greater than the fines and penalties everyone is just happy. If it is a local "crime" a higher level of authority will attach a surcharge and they will be happy, too.

I am just happy they repealed that law requiring a person with a light walking ahead of your vehicle during hours of darkness. I left for Hershey at 4:30 AM.

No laws or regulations will be implemented with a monetary penalty.

If one doesn't laugh at the antics of society, one might cry. Start crying and the crying may never stop. Better to just laugh.

Bernie

I find it hard to believe you need a pilots license to fly a drone when they are relaxing requirements on actual pilots. A valid drivers license makes you legal to fly an ultralight aircraft now. You would be nuts to do it with out training but legal all the same. A drone is restricted around airports and flight patterns. A lot of realtors in rural areas are using them with owners permission to film horse farms for sale around here. It gives an overall view of a farm for a prospective buyer. When we sold are farm the realtor did not have any experience or license to do it but he was smart enough to have us sign a realese. 

SC depends on the size of the drone. Gopro made one a little while back, that was a tad too large and yes, you did need a special license. A competitor came out with a slightly smaller version a few days before hand that you didnt need a license for and gopro stock dove.....................................

and the other co's stock went up. that is life.

That had to be one heck of a drone. Capable of carrying a large payload as opposed to a small camera is the only reason I could imagine for the license. Do you have a picture of it?  Personally I think they should be licensed or outlawed unless written permission is granted to fly over private propert at anything less than 5000 feet 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)

I looked it up and if the drone weighs between .55 lbs and 55 lbs you need to register it. If you don’t and crash it or get a complaint you are in legal trouble. You need a license to fly IF you use it for commercial use not private entertainment

commercial flight only in class G air space leaves most major cities out. 

• Class G airspace*
  • Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)*
  • Must fly under 400 feet*
  • Must fly during the day*
  • Must fly at or below 100 mph*
  • Must yield right of way to manned aircraft*
  • Must NOT fly over people*
  • Must NOT fly from a moving vehicle*

All of these rules are subject to

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has a page on their web site regarding Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)  (aka Drones).

Unmanned Aircraft Systems

I suspect when it comes to HE& R property the "within 25 feet of private property" is what applies here.

With Penn State Hershey Medical Center just a few miles away, drones are a bad idea when it comes to their Life Lion Helicopters as well.

Edited by charlier (see edit history)
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, charlier said:

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation has a page on their web site regarding Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)  (a.k.a. Drones).

Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Thanks, Charlier, that was the perfect answer to my 

question about where drones are permitted.

In Pennsylvania at least, not over private property, 

not over pedestrians, etc.  That means that a drone

can't legally fly over the Hershey show field.

In some future years, as drones become more reliable,

flying over pedestrians might be legal, and an operator

might get permission from the Hershey corporation--

so filming our show from above would make a good record

of the event for AACA members.

I was at a car show two years ago when someone thought they'd be 'cool' and use a drone to take an ariel video of the show.  On the 'return flight' he clipped a tree with it and it came crashing to the ground, narrowly missing a participant with a 1940 Pontiac.  A young person who owned it showed up out of nowhere, grabbed all the pieces that were left of it, and immediately disappeared.  (He must have seen the anger in the Pontiac owner's face.)  Since that time, the show organizers have added "no drones" to their list of rules, and I suspect a lot of outdoor events of any kind now have the same ruling in place.

Craig

1 hour ago, 8E45E said:

...Since that time, the show organizers have added "no drones" to their list of rules,

and I suspect a lot of outdoor events of any kind now have the same ruling in place.

It sounds as Penna. law has already covered that issue,

so the organizers don't need to prohibit them.  And if 

such is the case in your state, no show organizer could

permit them, as that would be overruling state law.

One of those Velocity shows, "Carspotters" look it up. They talk about a 55 Chevy Bel Aire, (rough shape etc.).

It so happens that the 'buyer' is a friend of mine.

These guys found the 55 by flying a drone over very rural NW forest land, I think they may have crashed, or landed near the guys place and walked in and bought the car.

Well the pilot broke two of the rules. First by flying over people and second, it was out of  the pilots sight. When it left the show field it headed over the tree line and disappeared.

I hate to see this drone on :rolleyes: but we will fix this issue!  Everyone is tuned in to it and next year we will be even more diligent on this issue.  People will know that they need to report any use of a drone to the authorities so it can be dealt with immediately.  It will be added to our regulations for the show as well.  With your help we will put a stop to this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I hate to see this drone on :rolleyes: but we will fix this issue!  Everyone is tuned in to it and next year we will be even more diligent on this issue.  People will know that they need to report any use of a drone to the authorities so it can be dealt with immediately.  It will be added to our regulations for the show as well.  With your help we will put a stop to this.

Pretty sure Steve has indicated the 'dastardly drone' was not authorized like 3 times now. I think we're all set.

He has a lot of packing to do, (HQ's new building,) lets drop the drone for a minute.

Thank you again Steve - it was a great few days!

I dreamt of this last night. I thought of the kind of net used in the '60s and '70s in this country to capture wild deer for farming. It was fired from a modified shot gun by a shooter in a helicopter. When the deer was engulfed in the net the chopper would come low so the shooter could hop out and hook the deer to the lifting eye under the chopper and recover the net. Such a net fired at the drone would capture it all right.... but control of the crash landing was problematic! Then I thought an Ent could just grab it out of the sky! :rolleyes:

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, SC38DLS said:

I looked it up and if the drone weighs between .55 lbs and 55 lbs you need to register it. If you don’t and crash it or get a complaint you are in legal trouble. You need a license to fly IF you use it for commercial use not private entertainment

commercial flight only in class G air space leaves most major cities out. 

• Class G airspace*
  • Must keep the aircraft in sight (visual line-of-sight)*
  • Must fly under 400 feet*
  • Must fly during the day*
  • Must fly at or below 100 mph*
  • Must yield right of way to manned aircraft*
  • Must NOT fly over people*
  • Must NOT fly from a moving vehicle*

All of these rules are subject to

Let's be a bit clear on the rules. SC38DLS has most of it correct.

First of all, the airspace is regulated by the FAA, not the state, nor the local municipality, nor the property owner.  If you read the PA rules, that is just a rehash of the FAA requirements.

Within 25 feet of personal property does NOT mean a lateral limit of 25 feet of your property line, it means within 25 feet of your car/house/bike/ etc.

Over people is subject to much interpretation.  25 feet above you would be a problem, 400 feet above you would not.  Flying over large crowds is prohibited without getting "special permission".

So, whomever was flying over can do so legally if they were flying over the outskirts of the crowds.  What would limit them beyond that is:

If it was used commercially, you need a license.

If it is over 55 lbs it requires special permission (does not apply to this one).

If there is a airport or heliport nearby, then you have some airspace restrictions (typically a 5 mile radius), however, you can get permission from the owner of that airspace (ex. control tower).

Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do if someone operates within the rules to protect your privacy.  It isn't all that different from an airplane or helicopter, they just need a longer lens on their camera due to some additional height restrictions, although you can typically hear them buzzing around.  When the property owner (HE & R) says they don't allow drones on their property - all they can protect beyond what is stated above is landing or operating the drone while standing on their property.

Why do I know all this?  I'm a helicopter flight instructor and I don't like seeing drones flying around me. I have a 500 ft height minimum over rural areas which doesn't leave much between the kid flying the drone from the ground trying to guess how high 400 feet is.  Of course I typically fly higher but even around 1000 feet there are drones.  It's hard to regulate an industry of millions of teenagers and young adults flying their toys everywhere. It gets worse when you want to land somewhere.  Drones do open up a lot of possibilities but I'm hoping this new industry doesn't degrade the airspace for human flown aircraft.  Think of it as being regulated off the road by the autonomous car fleet because they are safer.

Scott

A friend of mine was taking a hot air balloon ride over a wooded area when they saw a small herd of deer in a clearing. He took his pistol out of his pocket and started making red dots on the deer, just in fun. Boy, did he get a lesson in regulations from the pilot. Apparently that was worse that the time they X-rayed the 50 caliber  machine gun bullets in my carry on bag and the Ontario, Ca, airport.

Yes, my application of a drone was a commercial one, needed a license. Although I usually follow most rules, I do practice that "Gee, I didn't know." look in the mirror every morning, just in case I get caught.

Bernie

Didn't see the Drone but heard it over head. I belonged for years to an RC Club and stopped flying as the new age of Drones are taking over. Drones and RC Helicopters don't mix well with fixed wing planes. If you can fly a Computer Simulator you can fly the expensive Drones, the ones in the $2K cost range, using a lap top computer screen and joy stick. The screen on the Lap Top shows what the camera on the Drone is shooting. Watching these Drones from the ground, line of sight isn't how they are flown. If you lose sight  of the drone it is programmed to go auto pilot and will stop at 3 miles turn around by its self fly straight back and land at you feet where it took off using GPS. Any dummy can buy and fly one, no skill required. However Drones for lesser cost that require Line of Sight only to fly can be challenging to an inexperienced pilot, hard to see and control. 

I did see a Drone fly over the field last year and wondered if this was allowed. The FAA requires that they be Registered and there are Restrictions.

Also I saw a Bi Plane circle the Show Field Saturday, not sure if he was restricted, but if not he would be required to fly same rules as the Banner Planes that fly over the Stadiums. He wasn't towing a banner.

• Like 1