This is a LOOOOONG Shot

Curti

So is there a background story with this item?  I have certainly never seen one, was this a short-lived "Cadillac of trash cans" before a trademark infringement suit took hold?  I do know there was a Cadillac Screw Company in Belvidere Illinois in the 1950s-60s, maybe their product?  Would like to know, Todd C

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)

There were other things sold that were named Cadillac, for example, there was a Cadillac dog food, and if you look at picture it sure alludes to the car!

The trademark laws allow you to use a similar, or same, name, if the product is totally different and the advertising doesn't tie them together.

The coat of arms would be protected by a copyright, and either used by permission, or, a possibility, at one point Cadillac had these cans made for dealerships.

cadillac-dog-food-wheels-frank-nasworthy.jpg

Your can is the rare Cadillac Convertible Trash can. The story goes that a couple of engineers at Cadillac Trash Can Co had a secret "skunk works" where they designed and built one of a kind experimental cans unbeknownst to management. 6 of your can were built and all were supposed to have been destroyed but somehow yours escaped the crusher, possibly by being hidden in the trunk of the Tucker Convertible. Such a rare can should bring big money at auction. For an amount of money to be negotiated I could be convinced to "remember" seeing it in its developmental stage many years ago.

• Like 2

I have done some research on the Cadillac dog food. I don't believe these trash cans and the dog food have any relationship. 

I think there is more than a few of these Cadillac trash cans out in the wild.  Here is the one on eBay now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Large-Galvanized-Metal-Cadillac-Industrial-Garage-Wheeling-Trash-Can-W-Lid/232482881047?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

2 hours ago, Curti said:

I have done some research on the Cadillac dog food. I don't believe these trash cans and the dog food have any relationship. 

I think there is more than a few of these Cadillac trash cans out in the wild.  Here is the one on eBay now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Large-Galvanized-Metal-Cadillac-Industrial-Garage-Wheeling-Trash-Can-W-Lid/232482881047?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Hi- I didn't say they had a relationship, my point was just that other companies used the name Cadillac, and under trademark law, as long as it's a significantly different thing and is not advertised as having any connection, then the name can be used.

I'd bet that Cadillac would license the name and shield in a heartbeat back then, it's all good advertising!

Cimarron hood might be expensive, so just buy a Cavalier hood, same part number IIRC.:D