I'd buy it, but it's too far away......

trimacar

This is a general comment, not directed at anyone in particular, nor any post, past, present or future, that may resemble this topic, in any way, shape, or form.  There, now that the PC legalese is stated, let's get to it.

I see, so often, great deals on parts or cars.  With the Internet, the world is your oyster, so to speak, if you like shucking and eating oysters, but I digress.

So, a great deal on parts or car or that long sought after advertising piece that's just SO big.  And, what do we get, we get a post of "Oh, if it were only closer" or "Oh, I live on the wrong end of the country" or "Oh, I'd love to have it but it's so far away".

Sheesh, guys, these days miles are just that, miles, and someone, every day, is putting miles behind them.

Examples.  I found a George N. Pierce icebox, circa 1880, but it was in the Indianapolis area, and fellow wouldn't ship.  Give up?  Heck no, I put the question out to my great friends in the Pierce Arrow Society (ummm, I've mentioned before, we don't have a Club, we have a Society, neat, huh?).  Wow, a  fellow member drove 60 miles and picked it up, then transferred it to another friend at a Michigan meet, then I picked it up at Hershey!  A great network of friends, but I pursued it too, which makes the difference.

A one time occurrence, you say, just got lucky.  Well, no, where there's a way there's a "will do".  Found a Pierce Arrow wagon, circa 1920's, same issue (there were a lot of child's toys with the Pierce Arrow logo attached, not a part of the company but using the name, either under license or not).  It was in the mid west, and while the owner would let UPS pick it up, there was a HUGE cost to doing so.  He wouldn't deliver to a shipping point. Again, a fellow car collector stepped up, he was on a business trip close, and got it picked up and delivered to my house!

Point is, if you're serious about acquiring something, distance is meaningless.  There are transport companies, there are people coming to and from Hershey, and there are people in the clubs that will help you. Yes, I realize that there are cost constraints, but these days you can get a car shipped coast to coast for $2000 or so, enclosed.  I've seen it done. 

And my newest, what I've wanted for a while, the Pierce Arrow 1937 Travelodge, did I give up, 500 miles away?  Nope, it's home now....

Oh, man, there's an Auburn in Sweden that just came up in the ACD club magazine, hmmmmmm...

trailer.JPG

• Like 4

I agree completely. As mentioned, there are multiple ways to get it done. I actually enjoy hitching up my enclosed trailer and going to get whatever it may be, if necessary. The trip is part of the fun/adventure. It WOULD be nice if items would turn up close by once in awhile, lol, but distance is not a deal killer for me.

As a side note, I always make use of google earth to see what I'm getting into at a given address. This is useful from a safety aspect, as well as for accessing any trailer parking issues. I also use it now for hotel selection on any trip where I'll have the trailer.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Great advice on Google earth, I agree with that too.  One of my concerns (almost said "fears"!) is getting into a situation with a trailer that's very difficult to extricate oneself from.

I went to a meet lately and kind directions were, go past the front of the hotel and down the hill to find parking.  Well, past and down ended up being, for me, a parking lot with no exit.  Whew.  Had to walk the path to see how I'd get out, how many of you have done that, gotten out of tow vehicle and looked around going "Oh my" (bad words deleted).  Was able to make it out, forward, by inches, what a relief.

If you really want something, you can, and will, make it happen.  It's oh so easy just to sit back and say "gee, if it were only closer...."....c'mon guys.....

• Like 1

I am currently in the market for a motorhome. I sold the last one when the family had no interest in going anywhere. They assure me that this is not going to happen again... we will see. We are going to try it again. I have made a few trips looking at motorhomes that just were not in the condition that they were represented to be in. I have one friend who is out of town now but when he gets home, we might make a deal on his 27 Foot Winnebago. As soon as I find the right motorhome, I will be traveling to the Boston area to pick up a car project. I don't need a project but it turns out that it is the right project for me at the right price. I am really looking forward to owning a motorhome again but really looking forward to the car project. Without friends in the car hobby, I would not know about the car project. Networking is certainly the best way to enjoy the hobby. 

Yes, Matt, networking was my basic point.  If you come up I-81 on the way to Boston, please stop and visit!  We have a daughter and grandchild living in Boston, bless their hearts....

We enjoy camping, have an Aliner with dormers, easy to tow, great room, hard to explain unless you see one in person.  I'll be at Hershey with it again this year, Good Lord Willing and the HMO don't rise.....

• Like 1

For me travel has always involved a long trip with dubious towing gear.  My open trailer is fine and I don't mind camping at rest stops but I have never been able to afford a truck that I really trust further than a $200.00 tow home. If I stay in Canada distances get far fast. There is for the most part a whole lot of landscape between places in Canada, and our gas is quite a bit more expensive than the U.S.

If I chose a purchase in the U.S. the cost snowballs quickly. The border is a real pain with all the recent regulation changes to do with motor vehicle export from the U.S. Any project car ;or parts car for my existing Canadian registered projects, without a valid title is more or less impossible to export. And I am generally priced out of running , driver cars. Yes I  see cars I would like to own , but distance is often a deal breaker. If I was in the $30,000.00 - $50,000.00 purchase  league I would no doubt also have a dependable later model truck. But I am almost exclusively in the sub $10,000.00 fixer upper category and am often frustrated by parts/ project cars that are attractive but located 1/2 or more of a continent away. And if it doesn't run and drive almost no transport Co. will touch it.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

"Oh, man, there's an Auburn in Sweden that just came up in the ACD club magazine, hmmmmmm..."

Oh come on you can't tease me like that without a little more info.  

I was part of the ACD for a little while.  The magazine's piled up unread so I kind of forgot to renew.  

Life happens unfortunately. 

If someone seriously wants something, they'll buy it no matter what the shipping cost and/or will overcome whatever shipping hurdles are in place. In today's world, there are rarely any shipping hurdles can not be conquered.

If someone uses the "it's too far away" line, it usually means they are too cheap to buy it and it is a way to get out of the deal without looking like a cheapskate. Very similar to the old "I need to ask my wife" line.

A frequent and prolific member of this forum has badgered me for a month regarding something. I just got both lines in one sentence via email: "it's too far away and the "boss" said no." I knew he wasn't a buyer from the beginning. 

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

"Oh, man, there's an Auburn in Sweden that just came up in the ACD club magazine, hmmmmmm..."

Oh come on you can't tease me like that without a little more info.  

I was part of the ACD for a little while.  The magazine's piled up unread so I kind of forgot to renew.  

Life happens unfortunately. 

1935 851 Salon phaeton, restored, in Sweden since shipped there new, cem@businesslaw.se  history and price available upon request, no price given in ad, not affiliated with car in any way but since you asked....

Actually motoringicons there is a pratical limit. How can you justify $2000.00 or more in  expenses to bring home a $2500.00 parts or project car ? I have bought and transported more than my share of collector vehicles over the last 40 years in the hobby. But many others have had to be passed on because of logistics.

You are quite correct ,there is really no transportation hurdle that cannot be overcome,..... if you spend enough money. But money is for many of us a delicate balancing act.  For me , here up in the Pacific North West transportation can be a substantial percentage of the total cost.  I pretty much never inquire about something I am not seriously interested in buying, and in several instances have spent more on transport than  the original purchase price. But every potential deal has constraints, and more than once distance/cost of transportation {not to mention a inflexible work schedule} has been the straw that made the deal a no go. I have bought parts from England, Germany, Holland , Australia and lots from the U.S.A., probably spent as much on shipping as a average entry level collector car would cost in total. So I would hardly call myself a cheapskate, but I don't have nearly deep enough pockets to make all my long distance desires happen.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Actually motoringicons there is a pratical limit. How can you justify $2000.00 or more in  expenses to bring home a $2500.00 parts or project car ? I have bought and transported more than my share of collector vehicles over the last 40 years in the hobby. But many others have had to be passed on because of logistics.

I suppose it depends on how badly you need the parts. A Model A parts car, no, but something really rare? Where else will you get the parts? I tend to not argue about shipping costs if it's something I need or want. Lifes too short to sit around waiting for bargains all the time. I value my quality of life and having fun more than my money I guess. Its been ok for me tho.

I bought my 32 devaux from a sale in Indiana I live in calif,a good friend of mine has a brother in Illinois long story short he was looking for an excuse to buy a muscle car from calif,hooked him up with my old stage one Buick he picked the devaux up in Indiana brought in to my door step 3 days later I paid for fuel and eats. Dave

8 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Not getting off topic, the story in the ACD newsletter says that a unrestored Duesenberg in fair condition would cost $50,000, and restored it jumps up to $250,000. I am guessing that this is a misprint. 

If you look closely, you'll see that the article is a reprint from the year 1979.

In that time period, those numbers were correct.  I had a friend who paid $190,000 for a Duesenberg at auction around that time, and it was touted as the highest price paid for a Duesy up until then.

Back then, the saying was that you couldn't pay too much for a Duesenberg, but you could pay it too soon......as they were climbing in value daily....

• Like 1

I did find a limit I couldn't overcome.  The car was 3,000 miles away, and I was willing to buy it and ship it.  A fellow member even went and looked at it for me, even offered me to stay at his home if I flew out myself.  Yes, I wanted to buy it, and still do.  But, there is an obstacle I couldn't overcome.  The owner had gotten a title loan and one of those loan companies.  He couldn't pay it back, and thus had no title.  I found if I flew out and went to the loan company and paid it for him, it would take 5-to up to 30 days to get a title, and it would come back in his name.  Now I'm not stupid (or am I?...another subject :) ).  No leverage there.  I couldn't stay around and wait either.  A lawyer?  I couldn't find one.  The bank?  Very helpful until they found they couldn't get the title in their name when they paid off the loan with my money (third party intermediary).  I even called a local dealer who said he wouldn't even consider buying it and reselling it to for a profit...too messy to try and do.  So, I gave up.

I just finished moving (5) vehicles from Napa, CA to Carson City, NV last week over a (10) day period.

Each vehicle was transported separately with antiques ....

Each trip involved 500 miles of driving - (4) of the vehicles did not run - they necessitated a rollback tow truck

to get them out of storage barn(s) in Napa and into a storage building off a 15% grade in Carson City.

It wasn't cheap ....

Folks usually call me wanting below cost transport ....

There are no discounts on operating costs ( insurance - fuel - tires - maintainance & repair - lodging ).

Don't buy something you can't go get yourself - don't expect someone to do it at a discount.

Jim

Webp.net-resizeimage (17).jpg

Webp.net-resizeimage (18).jpg

file-1 (13).jpeg

file-1 (14).jpeg

file-1 (15).jpeg

Webp.net-resizeimage (19).jpg

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bought a '53 Jaguar big sedan in Federal Way, Washington for $2800 or $3000, I forgot, and shipped it to western New York for $1600. I owned it and worked on it for 3 years or so and made something like $2500 after my fun.

I have helped get about 25 old cars over to Sweden.

When I look at cars online I search the whole country. I had an Okie Buick one time and the silt or dirt never stopped sifting out of every nook and cranny. That was a surprise.

Right now I am in the market for a new or used Chevy truck or maybe an upscale car. A dealer in Texas has a new one exactly what I want, it is sitting on the lot cooking right now. I prefer to look at ads in the Virginia area, 500 miles away. The weather is better and the economy in that area helps maintain better service and maintenance.

Distance is way secondary in my mind.

Bernie

47 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

It wasn't cheap ..

I laugh when I read this or hear someone say it...... and sooooo often.

Is cheap a prerequisite or something, just curious about the origin of the aphorism.

Bernie :)

5 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

I did find a limit I couldn't overcome.  The car was 3,000 miles away, and I was willing to buy it and ship it.  A fellow member even went and looked at it for me, even offered me to stay at his home if I flew out myself.  Yes, I wanted to buy it, and still do.  But, there is an obstacle I couldn't overcome.  The owner had gotten a title loan and one of those loan companies.  He couldn't pay it back, and thus had no title.  I found if I flew out and went to the loan company and paid it for him, it would take 5-to up to 30 days to get a title, and it would come back in his name.  Now I'm not stupid (or am I?...another subject :) ).  No leverage there.  I couldn't stay around and wait either.  A lawyer?  I couldn't find one.  The bank?  Very helpful until they found they couldn't get the title in their name when they paid off the loan with my money (third party intermediary).  I even called a local dealer who said he wouldn't even consider buying it and reselling it to for a profit...too messy to try and do.  So, I gave up.

That deal seems to be a magnitude or two beyond "difficult", and, in my opinion, is more trouble than it's worth ... especially when there is a good chance of your paying for the car, then winding up with nothing but "experience" to show for it.  I, for one, would not say that you "gave up", I'd say that you made a wise decision.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

I laugh when I read this or hear someone say it...... and sooooo often.

Is cheap a prerequisite or something, just curious about the origin of the aphorism.

Bernie :)

I deal with fiscally challenged folks every day .....

i listen to their sad stories about cars promised for pick up at below cost broker quotes .....

Cheap is is a prerequisite when it comes to transport of a car for a lot of people .....

You get what you pay for - sometimes you don't like what you get ......

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

2 hours ago, mercer09 said:

Don't buy something you can't go get yourself - don't expect someone to do it at a discount.

and this is the problem I have, concerning asking friends for help-

why I dont "network".

Nothing wrong with " networking " - as long as favors are reciprocated.

I make genuine friends in the course of my travels - we reciprocate favors.

Jim

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I bought a '53 Jaguar big sedan in Federal Way, Washington for $2800 or $3000, I forgot, and shipped it to western New York for $1600. I owned it and worked on it for 3 years or so and made something like $2500 after my fun.

I have helped get about 25 old cars over to Sweden.

When I look at cars online I search the whole country. I had an Okie Buick one time and the silt or dirt never stopped sifting out of every nook and cranny. That was a surprise.

Right now I am in the market for a new or used Chevy truck or maybe an upscale car. A dealer in Texas has a new one exactly what I want, it is sitting on the lot cooking right now. I prefer to look at ads in the Virginia area, 500 miles away. The weather is better and the economy in that area helps maintain better service and maintenance.

Distance is way secondary in my mind.

Bernie

Was that Buick a 1941 Buick Limited....black?  Just wondering.

7 hours ago, capngrog said:

That deal seems to be a magnitude or two beyond "difficult", and, in my opinion, is more trouble than it's worth ... especially when there is a good chance of your paying for the car, then winding up with nothing but "experience" to show for it.  I, for one, would not say that you "gave up", I'd say that you made a wise decision.

Cheers,

Grog

Thanks Grog.  Yes, I think it was a decision of a wise man....me!  But let me just tell you why I wanted it so bad...sentimental.  The owner, long ago, drove the car to my house, for a car show I was putting on, from Buena Park, CA to Glen Burnie, MD in 1967 and drove it back...3 days each way.  In 1971, he did the same thing again, but this time with his whole family.  We became the very best of friends, and in his words, "that's not too shabby".  Well, my friend passed away suddenly in 1986 and I never knew what happened to the car.  Two months ago it showed up on eBay owned by the Grandson of a good friend of my friend.  When I called breathlessly to buy it, I found out the title was tied up.  I tried various angles, but there simply was no safe way to get the car and title.  No doubt the car was well used up when my friend passed, but the current owner said the engine had been rebuilt back in in the day and new seat covering installed 30-35 years ago.  I honestly think the owner would have come through with the car and title, but you can't take a chance on 5 figures with anybody....probably not even a brother, although I never had one of those.  In 1967 this car was the very first one of its type I had ever seen.  In 1973 I bought one, and in 1974 I bought another one and I restored the second one to an AACA Senior and then foolishly sold it in 1981.  I have no idea where it is either.  Good memories can sometimes make you do crazy things.  But this time somebody was looking out for me I think.