Sign of the times

Joe in Canada

This past summer I noticed a very different location for a car local show. I do not frequent these evening events where hot roders and vintage hobbyist's gather to show off their rides. I will stop occasionally and have a fast look around if I happen to be driving by as I prefer driving events. But now I find things are going sideways for locations for these type of shows. I noticed that there are weekly shows hosted at two different funeral parlors this past summer to my surprise. Is this something new where the local car hobbyists are having a difficult time finding a location for a weekly show or am I the one that is different. On the other hand car hobbyist's are in the upper age group of the general population so is the funeral chapels trying to capitalize on future business. Any other different locations for a car show?

That is crazy, a funeral home? A top notch restaurant around here had the British car club show there last year. In one show, raised the bar for shows around here IMO. Hope they do more of them. It brought some class to the car scene. That is needed, I think people like nice things, and to have a nice setting to showcase the cars, brings up the level of interest. The burger joint car show has run it's course.  

Here in Shrewsbery Pa. near the Mason Dixon Line there is a large Amish Markets where a local Car Club is welcomed to have a Show the 4th Friday of every Month from Easter to Halloween. It runs from 4PM to 10PM and usually draws 1,000+ Street Cars, Antiques,and Custom cars if the weather is nice. Cars should be 1972 or earlier. There are Car Shows  nearly every Saturday, at a Fire Company, Lodge or Community Park in our area.    

Back in the day, malls were closed on Sundays and there were a lot of autocrosses. Now there are just lots of static shows with Mustangs, ricers, and a few Italian jobs driven by people who would be scared a power shift might hurt something.

6 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

This past summer I noticed a very different location for a car local show. I do not frequent these evening events where hot roders and vintage hobbyist's gather to show off their rides. I will stop occasionally and have a fast look around if I happen to be driving by as I prefer driving events. But now I find things are going sideways for locations for these type of shows. I noticed that there are weekly shows hosted at two different funeral parlors this past summer to my surprise. Is this something new where the local car hobbyists are having a difficult time finding a location for a weekly show or am I the one that is different. On the other hand car hobbyist's are in the upper age group of the general population so is the funeral chapels trying to capitalize on future business. Any other different locations for a car show?

Car show at funeral home ?

I guess you could say folks were just dying to get there.;)

• Like 1

On 1/25/2017 at 10:15 AM, Joe in Canada said:

I noticed that there are weekly shows hosted at two different funeral parlors this past summer to my surprise. 

Funeral parlors do seem unusual locations for a car show.

Maybe the local undertakers are car fans.

But you might see some interesting antique hearses, 

as car fans with jobs in that business tend to like professional cars.

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Maybe the local undertakers are car fans.

But you might see some interesting antique hearses, 

as car fans with jobs in that business tend to like professional cars.

One fellow in our region does have two 1930s  hearses and does use them on occasion at his parlor. No it is not his location that hosts a car show.

LOL ... love the puns...!

I suppose it's a good idea to have car shows at funeral homes; can't say I've ever seen a show at such a place, tho.  Certainly they don't have scheduled shows if an actual funeral-visitation is happening....?

Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc

"You know it don't seem right" | Bobbie Gentry | 'Ode To Billie Joe'

• 1 month later...

Just east of Seattle is the small town of Redmond. From April thru October The Redmond Town Center hosts a car show on Saturdays from 8:30 am until 11 am. If there is a less than 40 % chance of rain. It originally started out as an exotic car show and now encompasses Antique, Vintage, Exotics. The limit on time pretty much eliminates hot rods loud music and burn outs. Each week during the summer a marque is featured . Its great fun, and usually after the show different makes marques will break up and do a run somewhere for lunch.

brasscarguy

On 1/27/2017 at 1:10 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Look around at the guys attending these events. Tell me you haven't seen the guys in shorts with the Nikes and support hose, gray pony tail, and an ear ring.

There's a shadow just back from the window watching.

Bernie

Let's not be putting people down over car gathering locations.  As I see it, many big funeral homes have big well landscaped parking lots

and little traffic.  A nice quite place to gather for nice ride in the country with other antique cars.  I remember the days when the old, old car guys would leave when the D.J. stating playing Rock & Roll music.  Now the sound of a well running 100 year old automobile is all the music

I like to hear at car gatherings.  I guess that comes with age, but I still rather be driving my early Ford V8's and listening to Model A's & T's and other Pre WWII vehicles climbing the mountains in our area.  

Reserved parking for: Nash, Hudson, Studebaker, Packard, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Rambler, Stanley, Willys, Pierce Arrow, Duesenberg, Auburn, Cord, Bantam, Plymouth, Austin, Morris, Sunbeam, Borgward, NSU, Isotta Fraschini, Stutz, Mercer, Chalmers, Chadwick, (and a "few more" I missed!)

Craig