Stearns Knight

alsancle

8 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I swear about once a month someone asks about the fellow in Austrailia that does stainless castings (and I do not have his contact information parked someplace like here so that I can find quickly) - he does make a Stearns Knight handle.  https://vintageandclassicreproductions.com/product_brands/1927-1929-model-ghj/

Hopefully the gentleman that bought the unrestored J90 is aware since I believe he has two broken door handles.

21 hours ago, edinmass said:

Fuel pump is back from the rebuild at Arthur Goulds/Parkers Packards in Mass for a "driver" rebuild........here are the photos........we have installed a new modern electric prime/vapor lock pump, and have had the tank cleaned. All the lines are copper, no rubber in the system anywhere, and now the new mechanical pump rebuild........sorting the fuel and ignition system BEFORE we try and install the new carburetor. Do it once, do it right, and then forget about it for the next 30 years....

I want to publicly thank you for sending the pump 3 day instead of your usual method of shipping it in a seat on Net Jets.

8 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I want to publicly thank you for sending the pump 3 day instead of your usual method of shipping it in a seat on Net Jets.

It was 17 dollars or 225 dollars.....each way. It's a good thing I'm a nice guy!

• Haha 1

AJ forgets to thank me for scoring that for him, humping it a half mile on my back, crating it and storing it for over a year, and then getting it up to him for free............

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, edinmass said:

AJ forgets to thank me for scoring that for him, humping it a half mile on my back, crating it and storing it for over a year, and then getting it up to him for free............

You beat me to it. Here is the fantastic crate you built with Phil that weighs 300 pounds, that tom and I dragged up the stairs to store, and I really was in fear for my life.

C57594C4-D521-416E-AE4A-952E57C2384E.jpeg

E5B65DFC-3E3A-41BF-99D0-798A55A7BE7C.jpeg

• Like 1

AJ forgot to say how Phil with “the hands like George the Animal Steel”  and I got it working........must have slipped his mind. It’s one of the best auto show pieces I have ever seen. It was dated to 1917 by an expert. I was thinking more like 1925. Overall, I would say it’s one of my better scores......

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

I like the shipping crate !

Engineered by two drunk half assed tractor mechanics..........

Update: Got the Stearns distributor on the machine today......it was way off. Film tomorrow......

• Like 2

Ok ......here we go. With all the family issues that Phil, I and assorted people around me have been dealing with, toss in COVID back ups with parts and supplies, shipping delays, holidays, and every other conceivable problem that can come down the road......we have an update on the Brunn.

Normally we would make a plan to deal with any new car that comes into our garage for sorting. Stearns Knight eight’s toss that book in the trash. We took this car one baby step at a time. First.....get the thing to stop smoking. On the first drive in my historic neighborhood after we picked it up from the last owner, we let the car idle in a neighbors yard for a few minutes while we shot the breeze.......it smoked so bad someone actually called the fire department from the smoke and stench in under three minutes. Well......we fixed the smoking issue and have slowly poked and prodded our way to short drives within two miles of the shop. The car kept giving all sorts of headaches......like any other old car.......but factor in tractor mechanic repairs done in the 50’s, short cuts, lack of knowledge on many of the cars systems........it was basically a mess from a running and driving standpoint. The game plan was to figure out if the car was going to be garage art in a nice building as an interesting talking point, or could it actually turn into a drivable and useable weekend tour car. I’m glad to report we are now crossed the bridge to........it’s going to be a great tour car. Step by step we kept poking at things.........even things we thought were fine.......and guess what? They weren’t. We did the entire fuel system.....fuel tank, electric boost pump, rebuilt the mechanical pump......and even adjusted the boat carburetor that’s currently  on it for the last fifty years. Much improvement, and so we next tackled the ignition.......it looked fine.......holy shit was it a mess. The points were out of synchronization by 9 or 10 degrees. Point gap was off a country mile, as was the timing. Put the distributor on my trusty Sun Distributor Machine...........like the engine, the distributor is very unusual........and the second generation of what was installed in 1929 on the eights. It’s now dialed in......working exactly as it should........don’t ask why I had the drawings and specs on this crazy thing..........anyway, with a BASIC ignition sorting the car is now much better than it was before. I would guess a twenty percent improvement in power and throttle response. And for the first time since we have had it.......100 percent reliable for starting hot or cold, and it no longer runs out of gas with both pumps engaged. It’s actually as reliable as any other car around the shop now......a MAJOR accomplishment. It’s now in the “take it anywhere at any time” and not worrying about getting stuck in the side of the road. The over all sorting is probably 80 percent done with the exception of installing a Stromberg UUR2 on it. Which I expect will turn this thing into a serious thoroughbred. For a while I thought the gearing was too tall.......now that the power is up......it’s going to be fine. Stop light pull always are fifty percent better. We are going to bring the car on a few local tours and do the AACA meet in March in Vero Beach. By the end of the summer we will be finished with all the mechanicals........we still have a long list of small items to fix........the kind of stuff that takes a month of Sundays.......but they will be done. I told AJ a few days ago I want to do a CCCA caravan in this thing..........I’m confident it will perform as we want and expect. The bad news is it won’t be with me by the end of the summer...........parking space is at a huge premium here......... overall I would own any Stearns Knight eight..........they are a cut above the common high end cars. I am thoroughly enjoying the car now..........it’s a pleasure to drive when sorted. Another great American automotive legend is now back on the road....(I must confess, getting this thing sorted has been a pleasure, and the car turned out to be a real driver.......I’m stunned!)..........keep your eyes peeled for it at events from now on. All these Cleveland cars are turning out to be undiscovered gems..........I think I need a big early Winton next...........AJ pry open you check book.........we need a Winton in the collection.   Did somebody say 75 horse power Peerless? 😏

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

One last special note about the 1929 Stearns Knight Brunn..........

If it wasn't for Mark Young.........this car would still be locked in a dark and dingy garage......and it would have never gone down the road again. A big THANK YOU to Mark, and all the other sleeve valve guys who held my hand and walked me through much of the process.........

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, alsancle said:

And Ed, I think Cunningham should be next on the list. You don’t like them because you haven’t sorted one.

How about a Cunningham from West Palm Beach........I know it's post war....but they are cool.

I put a headliner in a postwar Cunningham when I worked at White Post.  Leather, it was stretched tight as I could get it.  Had to make a platform inside car so  I could lay down to install it, not enough room to squat.

Looked great.  Owner took to a show where it was 100 degrees in the shade, he called the restoration shop and complained.  As soon as he got it home it tightened up again.

Lesson learned.  As Ed states, neat car…

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A Stearns J is currently being upholstered here. We are using Packard Broadcloth sourced20220317_100814.jpg.ba552d9e82ae694ae82c65d3d6450596.jpg from Hirsch Auto. Noticed this detail on the backside of the original headliner that was removed. Ahhh...another detail few people care about.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Things are backing off from insane to ridiculously busy around here........got some hours done on the Stearns, we had a failed brake component in the front left backing plate.......another tractor mechanic repair. Look close at the threads on the brass plug.........wiped out, and only a crappy cotter pin holding things together........we realized the problem before it failed.......by about two miles. We limped it back to the shop. Made a few new brass cup/plugs and all is good with the world......we can finish adjusting the brakes..........we went through the entire system as well as the front end and wheel bearings.......all are as good as new now............enjoy the photos.

BF87EDB1-D561-4CC0-A020-06D7A1D00901.jpeg

9AB3704F-AE49-4EDD-9377-1F9DDCCD7129.jpeg

35FD0F42-C3D2-4566-8EAB-8E75C075DE6F.jpeg

73EBD18D-00A6-4432-A4D7-AC0A2485BEFB.jpeg

47A086C2-0852-48D8-ACA2-9602913598A0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Fortunately, AJ has two or three goats at his house......and I keep offering to cook them for him.........if he agrees, we will have plenty of goat leather..............yum yum!

Got the brake control rod back on today, and decided to do a big road test on the Stearns.............took the old girl up on Interstate 95 in the afternoon.............pointed it North and opened her up for the first time in a BIG way..........Phil and I were laughing our asses off............the car is now much better tuned and dialed in.......hell......after a year of working on it on and off, she is getting near the end of the mechanical sorting......let’s say it had no issues keeping up in modern traffic.........75 mph in the slow lane.......typical Florida driving! It was smooth and quiet.....no bad habits..........need to make another steering box adjustment......she is a little loose over 60 mph. Impressions?  It’s an ass kicker classic..........it had lots more to give.......and we will work our way up slowly to the 100 mph guarantee they had on this old girl. Next time.......”we will drive it like we stole it!” 😎

9C52EBBF-0E71-4CE4-A50B-BD55D0D4E6F9.jpeg

776AFAB8-721F-47FA-8C5A-02530B3424D3.jpeg

8A6978A7-822D-4168-8DC7-657830F18E9F.jpeg

EE2543A5-C246-4366-AF18-4FB4C2460433.jpeg

• Like 5