Stearns Knight

alsancle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Sitting around reading my De Luxe Stearns-Knight salesman's booklet for the eight cylinder cars.   Maybe this is mentioned already?

"As originally developed, the engine has nine main bearings, completely counter-weighted crankshaft, weighing, complete, 134lbs."

This makes me wonder what other crankshafts typically weigh.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, a Packard 356 crank is 105 pounds . The counterbalances are bolted in and then welded over. Unfortunate if you have to grind journals .

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alsancle said:

Sitting around reading my De Luxe Stearns-Knight salesman's booklet for the eight cylinder cars.   Maybe this is mentioned already?

"As originally developed, the engine has nine main bearings, completely counter-weighted crankshaft, weighing, complete, 134lbs."

This makes me wonder what other crankshafts typically weigh.

1934-37 Chrysler Custom Imperial straight 8, 384.5 C.I. , nine main bearings, 115lbs.

Edited by 34LaSalleClubSedan (see edit history)
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Surprisingly, this one wasn't particularly heavy when I dragged it out of the storage room earlier this week. Marmon Sixteen. I was able to lift and move it pretty easily.

20191203_110158.jpg.3072371f4ae59f24fef5dd9a1eb08809.jpg

That engine is all about powered to weight ratio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/6/2016 at 10:48 AM, pughs said:

This is a photo of my 1927 Model F 4 passenger coupe on the day it arrived at my shop. It came from Illinois although it seems to have spent a lot of time in Boyertown PA before going to Illinois.

DCP_2157.JPG

Such a neat body style on this car.  One of my favorites.  I like the F's and G's.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Cookie Man said:

It’s been quiet on the Stearns Knight topic so I am posting some pictures of the progress on mine. Most of the painting and plating are finished. Still some sanding and buffing to be done and then reassembly. The front seats are at the upholstery shop.

IMG_0263.jpeg

IMG_0121.jpeg

IMG_0119.jpeg

IMG_0113.jpeg

Its really fun to see your pictures.  Such a great looking car, landau bars on a collapsible top and an open front limo.  Thumbs up to a regal car.  

• Like 2