Stearns Knight

alsancle

We need a thread on Classic era Stearns-Knight which was a luxury building in Clevland using the sleeve valve Knight engine.  According to the Stearns guys there are about 96 Stearns-Knight cars known to exist in all body styles for the years 1912-1929.  Of these, there are only 23 eight-cylinder.

I'm particularly interested in the very last model 8 cylinder cars: Model # H8 90 meaning an 8 cylinder with a 137” wheelbase. There is a J8 90 which is also an 8 but has the 145” wheelbase.

Attached is a couple of pictures of Lilian Roth with one of the final H8 90 Convertible coupes.  This car exists and is very cool (although the whitewalls ruin it).

1929-stearns-knight-convertible-coupe-now.jpg

1929-Stearns-Knight-with-Lillian-Roth2.jpg

1929-stearns-knight-convertible-coupe.jpg

Here is a 29 6cyl model sport coupe I pulled from a 50 year plus slumber last year. Ive known about the car about 15 years but things changed with the family that they decided to sell. Its in great original condition and the motor isn't stuck. The tool roll was still under the seat. It was last on the road in 1948. The car has landau irons in the rumble seat area  that had been removed  as well the bumpers.

stearns.jpg

1101151619.jpg

1101151620b.jpg

• Like 2

When I was a kid ,45 years ago my dad dragged me around to bring home these cars. The garages and barns still had cars ...great cars , not rotted out Fords and Whippets but desirable antique cars. Today these garage finds are getting few and far between. I have my eye on a original 41 Cad convertible coupe that I haven't been able to make a deal on but Ill keep trying.

No I never tried to start it . I never had time to get the oil pan off to clean out the sump.so left it alone Its either a Phillips  or Murray body, I don't remember . It has a badge on the cowl .  I think Murray ................ Ill check,

Hi AJ

I copied these photos of a 1929 J8-90 seven passenger sedan offered on eBay a few years ago.  Presumably it was their factory sedan body, the maker wasn't identified.   Someone should have photos of the Brunn convertible Victoria bodied J8-90 that has been featured in various articles including Special Interest Autos magazine at one time.

Steve

'29 Stearns-Knight J-8-90-a.jpg

'29 Stearns-Knight J-8-90-b.jpg

'29 Stearns-Knight J-8-90-c.jpg

'29 Stearns-Knight J-8-90-d.jpg

'29 Stearns-Knight J-8-90-e.jpg

'29 Stearns-Knight J-8-90-f.jpg

'29 Stearns-Knight J-8-90-g.jpg

• Like 1

One of my dad's very first employees (a good friend and avid model railroader too), Dave Bell, drove a 1929 Stearns Knight 6 Cylinder Coupe - I believe it had a Robbins body and was very similar to the green 6 cyl coupe pictured above (excepting wooden wheels and a rear mount spare).  The body was mostly aluminum.  And, it was maroon with black fenders and natural wood  wheels - original interior.  Black long grain top - with landau irons. He drove the car everywhere and it was weekend regular in our driveway in the late 60's and early 70's.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

Hey John, back in the mid 1990's on one of my many visits to Bob Agle's farm he had a Sterns Knight 6 coupe there once.  I thought it was brown in color.  It wasn't his, but he was trying to get it running better for the owner who I believe was a woman.  The fuel line was plugged up and it wasn't getting enough gas to the carb.  We disconnected the fuel line at the vacuum tank and I blew in it while Bob held his ear to the gas cap opening to listen for the gas bubbling.  We reconnected the fuel line and the car ran great.  Bob then took me on an hour long drive in the car and drove it hard like he did all his cars.   Who's car was that and where is it now?   Maybe it's the same car you just mentioned.    

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

OK, I found a couple pictures of it.  I believe John & I are talking about the same car.   The one I rode in was dark maroon after all.   These photos were taken in the summer of 1996.  These are pictures of pictures, so forgive me for the poor quality.   Digital cameras weren't available in 1996.    

IMG_4449.JPG

IMG_4448.JPG

• Like 1

Jason, that is the car-  Bob Agle was getting it running for Ann Bell (Dave's Wife) after Dave's death.  Dave was like glue for the Willys Overland Knight Registry - President for years and also held all the factory drawings, plus a host of cutaway display engines.  And when he died also had a 1925 Touring (yellow an black) and an incomplete/project yet spectacular 1929 Stearns Knight 8 Cylinder Murphy Boattail Speedster (a match in body to several surviving Duesenbergs).  The Coupe was a Dark Maroon that could have been easily mistaken for a very rich brown.  The Coupe was from Los Angeles and pretty outstanding original car.   He was very fortunate that he had a second engine for it - this Coupe was and one of the most successfully driven Stearns Knight cars known.  Ann Bell sold it and I have no idea where it is now, nor the 1925.  

Dave Bell also had a 1930 145 Series Franklin Sedan and a 1931 153 Series Franklin Sedan - aka why we had the 1930 147 Dietrich Speedster 4 Door Convertible Sedan.  And, Dad and I took Bob Agle to his first Franklin meet - I am thinking 1979.

By the way, Dad will always speak of thew quests for alcohol based antifreeze for the Coupe (allowed evaporation if leaked into cylinders) and I remember a few late evening engine disassembly/reassembly, as well as many a rumble seat ride.  Polished it a few times too.

Kirk,  am I that obvious?  I'm pretty sure it is not period coachwork but when I was at Hershey I had 4 coachbuilt design sketches for 29 Sterns-Knight in my hands.  I put them back thinking I was going to regret not grabbing them later on.  No Murphy,  Brunn, Derham, and I forget the other two.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Kirk,  am I that obvious?  I'm pretty sure it is not period coachwork but when I was at Hershey I had 4 coachbuilt design sketches for 29 Sterns-Knight in my hands.  I put them back thinking I was going to regret not grabbing them later on.  No Murphy,  Brunn, Derham, and I forget the other two.

AJ NEVER EVER put them back! you have to buy them so no one else gets them.

One of the first cars dad ever looked at in about  mid 1960's, was a 1929 Stearns Knight Landaulet (or it could have just been a Town Car) by I want to say Brunn - I recall seeing pictures of it years ago - I was told it disappeared off the face of the earth and then showed up for a Leakke Auction or ... Auction some time in perhaps the late 90's (I want to say it was painted light green) to disappear again.  Again. a car that was sourced by Art Aseltine and Dave Bell. Any idea where it is now ?