How do I buy car from deceased person?

Guest VONZ72

I have found a car that I want to buy. It is at an abandoned home. I have checked tax records and apparently the owner has passed away or is ill and no longer lives at the home. Tried to find other individual listed on deed but no luck finding them either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

21 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Try asking around the area neighbors. They may know where the resident went.

The next-door neighbors will also probably know

who takes care of the place--who the nearest

relative or friend is, and how to contact him.

If "Joe Jones" is deceased, you would buy the car from

the estate of Joe Jones.  In that case, you would contact

the executor of the estate, which is probably a relative

but which might also be a local bank.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

O.K....we are on the edge of our seats (well, I am at least). What kind of car is it??

1965 Eldorado convertible

Thanks to all who have responded so far. Some good info that will hopefully lead me to the owner.

Florida has rules for this situation, but first you need to go to the county court house an check the property records to see who's name the property is deeded in.  Get the name and parcel # and go to the Registrar of Deeds, probably in the same building.  Find liens on the property if any, then go to county records and see if that person has died or if the lien holder has filed for ownership.

It's possible that the person died Intestate (Without a will, and the property is in Probate)  in that case the State of Florida is in line for a big share of the adjusted estate value, along with any distant heirs)  

It's an interesting, but slow process, but a lot easier if you find an Executor of the Estate or personal representative to deal with.  If it's a Pro Bono Executor for an estate without assets of any real value, they may be happy to meet you.  If the State gets the property, it will be sold on the courthouse steps and that's the day you should be there with money.  (At least 10% down and 90% in 24 hours)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Florida has rules for this situation, but first you need to go to the county court house an check the property records to see who's name the property is deeded in.  Get the name and parcel # and go to the Registrar of Deeds, probably in the same building.  Find liens on the property if any, then go to county records and see if that person has died or if the lien holder has filed for ownership.

It's possible that the person died Intestate (Without a will, and the property is in Probate)  in that case the State of Florida is in line for a big share of the adjusted estate value, along with any distant heirs)  

It's an interesting, but slow process, but a lot easier if you find an Executor of the Estate or personal representative to deal with.  If it's a Pro Bono Executor for an estate without assets of any real value, they may be happy to meet you.  If the State gets the property, it will be sold on the courthouse steps and that's the day you should be there with money.  (At least 10% down and 90% in 24 hours)

Thank You Mr. Dobbin. I will be using the information from you and others. I plan to be downtown first thing Tuesday Morning. Sounds like it could take a while! If I am successful I will let everyone know.

As Paul said, check the property records; however, you may be able to do that from the comfort of your home.  Depending upon which Florida County is involved, you can go on line to check the property records which will give you most of the information you require, including whether or not the property is tied up in an estate.  For example, in both my former county of residence, Miami-Dade, and my current county of residence, Lake, all of that information is available on line.  If you need help with your on line search, let me know.

Cheers,

Grog

I fear it might be more trouble than it's worth. There might be an opportunity for you, but there might also be hassles with heirs, probate court, and other blockades. Most folks don't really respond favorably when someone comes along wanting to buy something from a deceased family member, often taking it as a buzzard picking over a corpse. Not that this is what you are doing, but they may be emotionally vulnerable and upset and having someone come along and want to buy grandpa's treasured old Cadillac (which some idiot family member has surely mentioned is worth a fortune) is going to go over like a lead balloon. And if the guy doesn't have a will, then it may be years before the car could even be legal to sell.

There's no shortage of 1965 Cadillacs around--maybe there are those that might be easier to acquire?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I fear it might be more trouble than it's worth. There might be an opportunity for you, but there might also be hassles with heirs, probate court, and other blockades. Most folks don't really respond favorably when someone comes along wanting to buy something from a deceased family member, often taking it as a buzzard picking over a corpse. Not that this is what you are doing, but they may be emotionally vulnerable and upset and having someone come along and want to buy grandpa's treasured old Cadillac (which some idiot family member has surely mentioned is worth a fortune) is going to go over like a lead balloon. And if the guy doesn't have a will, then it may be years before the car could even be legal to sell.

There's no shortage of 1965 Cadillacs around--maybe there are those that might be easier to acquire?

You did a nice job of popping that guy's balloon! What a buzz killer.

If he likes the car, and wants to put some time in finding a way to buy it, more power to him. I think Mr. Vonz72 was looking for positive advice, not negative Nellies telling him it's hard or impossible to pursue it.

• Like 2

Neighbors are the easiest, and should be your first avenue. Many years ago I asked the neighbors who was handling the estate of Miss P, an old maid who had a 1936 Buick 40 sedan in the garage, untouched for three years.  The neighbors told me the [name of bank] Trust Dept.  I called the Trust Dept and asked for the trust officer handling Miss P's estate.  I said "I'd like to place a bid on the 1936 Buick in the garage."  He said, "What is your bid?" I replied "$25."  A week later the trust officer CAME TO MY RESIDENCE, signed off the title and gave me car and garage keys, and I handed him $25 cash.  To show you how long ago this was, I cleaned it up, drove it for six months, and sold it for $160....

As has been mentioned, the worst cases are when the person has died intestate (i.e., without a will), or there are a passel of greedy relatives, or the state is owed money from the estate assets for nursing home care.  There may be an executor, who must be confirmed by the court.  Deal (i.e., offer) with no one other than the executor, which may be a Trust Dept.  These days the executor will have to have professional appraisal(s) and offer widely by advertising.

It's worth your time to do a little research.  It's nowhere near the Too-Hard-to-Do box yet!

I've been an executor.

I think the process will be quite easy, and nothing to fear.

Just find out who is in charge.  It's very possible that the owner

isn't even deceased, but just in a rest home.

Don't be discouraged at at all.

It may well be that they're HAPPY to get rid of "that old car."

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I've been an executor.

I think the process will be quite easy, and nothing to fear.

Just find out who is in charge.  It's very possible that the owner

isn't even deceased, but just in a rest home.

Don't be discouraged at at all.

It may well be that they're HAPPY to get rid of "that old car."

even in that case, there may be someone else with 'power of attorney' .

The person with power of attorney would be who you see to buy the car

Edited by JamesBulldogMiller55Buick (see edit history)

If the owner is alive, even if comatose, the person with a durable power of attorney will, unless the document limits his/her powers, be able to sell the car.  Note that as of the moment of death, the power of attorney becomes invalid and the executor has the power.  In most states, the appointment of executor via a will must be confirmed by a court before the executor can do anything on behalf of the estate.  This may take four to six weeks.

17 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I feel that a lot of what Matt says is very important to remember. The reality is that you sometimes run across EXACTLY that situation. Probably more times than not.

I've been in the same situations as VONZ72. Most didn't turn out so well & a couple did. I enjoyed all of them because I enjoy the hunt as much as the final sale. Yes, it's disappointing when you don't buy the vehicle, but if it's not only about the cash, you still enjoy most of it & you probably learn something along the way.

I may feel the same way, except for the fact that he seems to come down hard on newbies, makes fun of people in some posts(along with others here), and seems to be very thin skinned if there are any negative comments about his posts/cars. Matt may have vast knowledge of old, classic, and antique cars, but when someone comes across as a know-it-all, I get turned off real quick. If you know a lot, it's great that you share your knowledge; just don't be an a-hole about it. I've had people come across that way to me at car shows & swap meets. My response is to turn and walk away. I don't need it.

There, the cheap seats have spoken.

I purchased a Tahoe from an estate here in Florida less than two years ago. After you locate the person in charge of the estate and determine the car is for sale, the process is very simple to transfer it to you. Wishing you luck on your hunt. I love old Caddies and this sounds like it might be a good find.

It doesn't hurt to ask, if you do it with respect and sensitivity, most are open to hear the offer. I bought an Amphicar from the children of the owner. It took 5 years before they agreed to sell. Once they did, I was the only person they contacted because I was respectful and understanding of their loss. It cost nothing to ask and if you don't ask the result will always be a "no sale" at least there is a chance if you ask.

I believe the poster's title for this thread was " HOW DO I BUY A CAR FROM A DECEASE PERSON?"

Old me believes a QUESTION mark like he ended the title of the post with, means FIRE AWAY, No holes bared, IMHO.

Matt is NOT a person that picks on folks, just review his past posts,

Dale in Indy

Been through the process before and Florida is very strict but has forms for everything. Last time it took me a year of occasional attention to get a clear title. Good news is if you can get a signed original title and bill of sale, it does not need to be notarised

First take the VIN and go to the Florida DMV site. This will tell you if the car has a current title (with number), registration or when last registered, and lien.

For the next step you will need a friendly police officer or DMV clerk to run the title number. Officially they will forward a stamped envelope/letter to the owner. Unofficially the name, address of record, and license number are displayed on their screen.

If the deceased lived in Florida, there will be a public record of the death and trustee/executor.

Good luck. All I can tell you is that with perseverance and a little luck it can be done. I have.

ps if there is any way you can legally have the car moved to a locked garage, do so. Things sometimes just disappear.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

On 9/4/2016 at 10:28 AM, VONZ72 said:

I have found a car that I want to buy. It is at an abandoned home. I have checked tax records and apparently the owner has passed away or is ill and no longer lives at the home. Tried to find other individual listed on deed but no luck finding them either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

So,

Are the taxes paid to date ?

If so - someone must be paying them.

Just because no one lives in a home does not mean it is abandoned.

As mentioned previously - you need to find who owns the property.

Jim

Has it been determined that the car owner is deceased, or for that matter who the owner of the cars is? Using the license plate or other identification plus information from neighbors it should be possible to determine the ownership and consequently the party that could legally transfer title. Until this information is obtained everything else is guesswork. Why is it assumed that the owner of the real estate is the same as the owner of the car?

Edited by A. Ballard 35R
Additional comment. (see edit history)

Well,,,come to find out the owner is not deceased, he just lives in a home where the yard is severely overgrown and most of the windows have been boarded up! I talked to a neighbor ( who does not have much love for the owner) who tells me the car was restored 4 or 5 years ago and has been parked ever since. The owner is somewhat of a crotchity old fellow who only comes out to get the mail. Someone brings him groceries every so often. He told me to go "bang" on the door for a while ( which I have done previously to no avail) I did so and finally got yelled at from behind one of the boarded up windows and was told the car is not for sale! I will be keeping an eye on the place though because you never know when someone might change their mind.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I learned quite a bit during the process and enjoyed every minute of it!

Now that you know he's alive and existing behind the boarded up windows, it's time for a letter.  Write him a letter introducing yourself and tell him how much you admire his antique car and that you are sure you could learn a lot from him about that model.  Tell him that even if the car is not For Sale you would like to meet him and see & hear about his car.

Give him you name and number and ask that he keep the letter for future reference or possible future visit.

Who knows, it could be a great 49 cent investment.

It will cost you a stamp and a few minutes. Sending him a letter is respecting his privacy. I spent 10 years with one guy who had a 59 Skyliner sitting for 20ish years. It took me 3 years to get him to open the door, 8 years to see the inside of the car and 10 to own it.

We spoke a lot, 85% of the time when I'd see him the car was not part of the conversation at all. One day I got the call that he was ready to sell. The 1st place I drove the car was to his house and let him take it for a drive. Seeing a grown many tear up, is a special thing. Just before I left, I gave him a love note from an old girlfriend(dated 1978)  that had died tragically some years later. That and the drive meant more to him than the car did. You could only see a single tail light from the road. I thought I was the only one, but once I began driving it every day, I found out I was far from the only one who know. I was the only one who did not pressure him. 

A letter is the kindest and most respectful way to make contact. If its meant to be, it will be. The answer is ALWAYS "no" if you don't try. I tried for years to buy a 34 For Phaeton, but without success. One day I drove by to see the Ford (squished by a bulldozer) and the garage it was in being loaded into a dumptruck.... sad day to be sure. Some just won't survive ignorance.

On 9/12/2016 at 11:17 AM, Paul Dobbin said:

Write him a letter...

Who knows, it could be a great 49 cent investment.

Good idea, Paul.  A courteous letter will at least

get behind the closed doors.  It might even bear 

fruit some day.

But did you realize that the price of a postage stamp

went DOWN to 47 cents?

He may not have been a friend until we met because of the car. Like my experience with my Skyliner, we became friends because of the car. Now the car lives on, he's happy and I'm happy and we both have new friends. He is thrilled that he chose me to sell it to. Len was only concerned somebody would lowball him to turn around and sell it for lots of money. I gave him a reasonable price and he accepted.

I have zero problems asking if a car could be for sale and zero problems with people asking me about mine. It has worked out for both the seller and buyer MANY times. I only go to the door and not wander around. If there is a gate, I do not open it and revert to using a note or sending a letter. Several times I have been told they wanted to get rid of it but did not know how to go about it. See, once again, both are happy and nobody is worried about privacy, the bigger concern is RESPECT.

14 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

But in this case the man apparently yelled thru a closed door "the car is not for sale". Badgering him won't help.

He may be open to a letter, not a flurry of letters, but a single letter. Many people out there are agoraphobic or other social phobias. It may be the presence of somebody at his door that is bothersome, whereas a letter is less in his face. I would still send a letter.