MrEarl's Daily Therapeutic Dose of Buick

MrEarl

On 3/25/2018 at 3:22 PM, 60FlatTop said:

The life of a chick magnet is not always easy.

PoolRM.jpg.02d26d41759133bf879835d90c25a4a0.jpg

I have absolutely NO comment on what the man at the top left may be saying.

Bernie

Apologies guys , just noticed this enlightening me what Buick is this ?

5 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Beautiful!  Lost me, John. 

Ben

It is a 1969 Special Station-wagon Ben.  Very tasteful resto-mod.  The chrome strips on the body panels indicate it would have been a car with woodgrain inserts.  It is not a Sport wagon with roof skylights. It is powered by a 455 built to stage 1 specs.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, zeke01 said:

Maybe you could utilize a gofundme account to help with the expense of a fill-up. Zeke

Sir? can you shut off the car while I'm filling you up, you're gaining on me.

• Haha 3

Been off this project for too long, my self imposed due date is 4 days away so an updated finish time is now Labour Day.  Yesterday and today I have been installing and trimming the excellent battleship linoleum, walnut brown, I purchased from Tony Lauria in Pa.  The ring you see is a repop from Gregg Lange in Mi and is called a floor thimble.  It helps in lifting the main floor, gives you something to hang onto.  I have one in my 1913 Buick but was missing in this 1915 McLaughlin, the beautiful plate which surrounds my shifter and parking brake I received with the project but am still missing a moulding around the exhaust cutout.  Easy to replicate though.  The mouldings are from L and L, a company which I believe is out of business.

The windshield is finished and installed, the two buttons at the bottom center are tube nuts which, should be plated but to me that looks odd so they will be painted black.  The handle inside is also black and is stamped with the name of the manufacturer.  

I erected the top I got with the job because I needed to measure the total height, 81", 5" less than the height of my trailer and 3" less than my 1913 Buick.  The serial number of the car is stamped in large type in the front seat wooden, riser board and on a brass plate nailed to the floor.  The total restoration, so far, two weeks short of 3 years, a big job, but doing everything myself, in my home workshop is a rewarding experience.  Regards, Gary

DSC_4574.JPG

DSC_4575.JPG

DSC_4587.JPG

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

If you are like me when I get a new toy I stay close to home until I get comfortable with the sound, smell and feel of the experience.  This summer I have been using our 1939 Century with our local car club and ice cream runs, etc.  Today went to breakfast in the town down the road with some friends and took the '39, my first time with passengers, 28 miles round trip.  Thursday we are taking the car for a day trip to a Canadian National Park followed by a cruise night at a Museum, should be well over a hundred miles.  Wish us luck, Gary

BTW I am reviving this thread because I like it.  My friends pictured below, keep smiling.

DSC_4894.JPG

• Like 8

For my 1915 McLaughlin I cleaned the four fenders with Spray 9 getting them ready for sandblasting tomorrow.  A local company who mainly works for factories dipped, stripped and coated them with a dense, water soluble oil two years ago.  A sandblaster has to clean the edges and any surface corrosion, giving me a good surface to metal finish and adhere my epoxy primer.  Then paint with single stage black.  I'd like to have the project ready for driving and showing in September except the new top and side curtains which will be done in the winter.  If all goes well I plan to have the car judged for a Junior at Auburn in the spring.  Been an interesting job, thanks, Gary

DSC_4949.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As part of the Old Car Festival in Michigan is the Lansing to Dearborn Endurance Run, as you can imagine Buicks are very popular in this event for one and two cylinder cars.  This year these three, a Model G and two F's were successful.

In the first photo a G had trouble starting and a " riding mechanic" is making adjustments before the return trip to Dearborn,  He made it but with a little difficulty.

The second photo is taken at one of the stops and is the beauty picture.

And finally a stop at a High School showing the students ancient motoring.

As you can see these are working machines, 200 miles round trip.  Regards, Gary

DSC_5087.JPG

DSC_5091.JPG

DSC_5094.JPG

• Like 7

Todays Daily Dose of Buick is from the summer past, a friend was looking to purchase one of these two 1940 Buicks and since I seem to be the local Buick guy I was invited to participate.  The picture I snapped through the fence reminded me of my youth when cars were stored in alleys and boys riding bikes would dream of the day when he would learn to drive.  The black car is a Century and the blue a Super so no parts interchange.  My friend decided not to buy and I do not know the outcome of these cars, I have a phone number if interested.

Enjoy, Gary

DSC_4918.JPG

• Like 2

For taillamp Tuesday I cannot wait, it is raining cats and dogs in Southern Ontario, the remnants of Hurricane Florence.  I've painted the rear parts for my 1915 McLaughlin touring car and this is the first fitting.  Next my local shoemaker will duplicate the leather belts and the paint will get polished this winter.  The front fenders are in final epoxy primer and the headlamp rims are still at the platers.  So far I've painted everything in my home workshop, not the best painter except to say I have time to work out the details and I make up for my failings by employing the best tools and materials available.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5174.JPG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Tail lamp Tuesday.  Found this pleasing photo of our 1913 Buick model 31, on tour, before the Old Car Festival in Michigan.  Maybe Autumn Buicks because it was September.

Regards, Gary

DSC_5089.JPG

• Like 5

• 2 months later...