Odd Colored Chev

Hudsy Wudsy

Well, if it is a stock color and the car was painted this color from the factory, I give them credit for painting it correctly. I know cars of that era didn't have data plates like later vehicles do, that will tell what color they were from the factory, but if they had evidence it was that color, why not?

If it's an authentic color, than I say good for him! It certainly is a departure from more mundane colors. If it was in a field of other vintage cars, I have little doubt that I would make my over to it and give it a close examination. I might even vote on it in some peoples choice category. The one thing that I wouldn't do, however is own it.

Colors go in and out of favor. Just consider

all the brown tones and avocado greens that

permeated the late 1960's and early 1970's.

Later, people hated those colors.

Someone might have repainted a 1969 coupe

to get rid of avocado green--and made it

"resale red" instead.

But we're here to preserve history!

The colors of the 1960's and 1970's document their era,

so I wouldn't mind seeing an avocado green coupe,

and would be happy that that segment of history was

preserved.  At some point it will be back in favor,

and we'll be glad that history wasn't erased.

The same goes with the pea-green 1927 Chevrolet, if 

it's an authentic color.  It documents what one family

ordered 89 years ago. 

Dupont Duco lacquer paint was introduced in 1924 and quickly adopted by General Motors. It allowed colorful finishes to be applied much more quickly and easily, than older types of paint. They made cars, especially the lower priced cars, a lot more colorful as can be seen in colored magazine ads of the time. But a lot of the shades they used, seem a little off or different. The color on this Chevy seems that way to me, which makes me suspect it is an original color.

I don't have a problem with the color of that car at all, especially if its rare.

That pales in comparison to a 1930 Ruxton with the multiple-hued horizontal color bands; especially the cars painted fuchsia/pink/rose shades.

Craig

I am with you Craig, if it is original then there should be no problems.  I am looking now to see if it did exist.  I see a color that may be it for the 1928 Chevrolet called Como Green.  

The Art Deco Ruxton paint stripes was also standard an were the result of Joseph Urban, a movie and play set designer.

For those who can't make up their mind what color to paint....

barracuda.jpg

• Like 1

If you folks looked at the pictures in the kijiji listing you might have noticed a picture of the interior and dash. The dash is painted the same color as the body. I don't know if that is accurate and authentic, but I seem to see that more frequently these days. Wouldn't it have been painted black originally?

17 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

The dash is painted the same color as the body. I don't know if that is accurate and authentic, but I seem to see that more frequently these days. Wouldn't it have been painted black originally?

I don't know for sure about the dash, but I will say unless it looks different in person I would probably accept the color as authentic and maybe the dash too unless proven otherwise.  I can't explain why but in photos that color just hits me as a plausible 1920s shade, Todd C

poci, I agree that this very striking body color is almost certainly authentic. I can't imagine why else anyone would choose it. Not to get too philosophical, I do think that it's likely the culture of the era provides the context for it's unusual nature. The twenties was a time known for excesses and daring ideas. I realize now that part of my shock regarding it though is that it's on an otherwise humble 4dr Chevrolet and not some exciting and flamboyant premium vehicle of the day.

On ‎14‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:25 AM, mercer09 said:

I love it!

pea soup green......................

A good color-matching twin to this one: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?47282-Orphan-of-the-Day-12-26-1911-Pope-Hartford-W-Touring

Imagine, this '27 Chev, the Pope-Hartford, and a brand new Aston Martin V12 Vantage S special ordered in that same color parked in front of your triple-car garage!!!?! :P

Craig

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I'm back with a Cadillac convert in "chartreuse":

http://appleton.craigslist.org/cto/5755504853.html

My question is simply, why?

Henry Kaiser asked the same thing,

Reportedly, someone special ordered a Henry J in a combination two tone of maroon & chartreuse.  He saw it on the production line, ordered it turned around and repainted gray.

Craig

The car looks fine to me. It makes a period correct historical statement about the way things were. Without this car painted this color, I doubt that anyone would even know that any cars were painted that color. The comments, and the numbers of comments, make it clear that the provocative color taught us all a history lesson.

Off subject a bit, but has anyone paid any attention to the lack of color used on new cars? About a year ago I was sitting in a parking lot when I realized that I was surrounded by a sea of white, black and silver cars. These three "colors" (not colors at all!) with a few red, and the colors on the Kia Soul, which buck the trend, must make up the vast majority of the cars sold today. 

5 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

The car looks fine to me. It makes a period correct historical statement about the way things were. Without this car painted this color, I doubt that anyone would even know that any cars were painted that color. The comments, and the numbers of comments, make it clear that the provocative color taught us all a history lesson.

I do not have a problem with that color at all. 

Seems to me, in the 1970's, Fiat offered a similar shade of green on their 128 and 124's, and it is a very to some of the greens offered by Japanese car manufacturers.

Craig

• Like 1