Old Dealerships & Buildings

The topic of early dealerships and buildings is like watching paint dry for some but for others like myself it's interesting. I thought some of you would enjoy.

If you have any photos you would like to share feel free to post.

If you have questions in regards to dealerships please post and maybe we can find answers.

Personally, I've been doing research on a Dodge Brothers dealership in Pittsfield MA. from 1927-1931 named McConnel Motors Inc. located at 14 Maplewood Ave. in Pittsfield. The owner was Walter L. McConnel, he also owned a service station at 164 Wahconah that was located around the corner from the Dodge dealership in Pittsfield MA.

If anyone has any photos (historic or current photos), literature or finds anything on this dealership or service station and it's owner I would be interested in any items if you would be willing to share/sell. Thank you

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest Gary Hearn

Have you tried the local library or historical society? Sometimes long established newspapers have old photo files.

Have you tried the local library or historical society? Sometimes long established newspapers have old photo files.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes I have, the historical society are the ones who provided me the information to this point. They found a Pittsfield MA directory from 1928 that shows the owners name, the locations of these business's along with his home address as being 96 Howard St. The advertisement also listed the phone numbers for both locations so it's a good start. Now that I've confirmed it existed I was hoping to find photographs and any literature for further documentation. Ultimately I'm trying to track down the history of my truck and was hoping someone somewhere could offer more clues. Old photos and literature answer many questions at times and was hoping someone had photos of this old dealership.

When I go to google maps I can see the locations from street level, there's a small brick building at 14 Maplewood that looks like it could have been one of these early dealerships but I was hoping I could hunt down a photo or literature that proves that this is the building. I've also tried Berkshire county accessor office but they only go back so far.

The service station location on Wahconah is an empty lot currently.

I will try the newspaper also, thanks again for the suggestion.

Guest T-Head

If you enjoy photos of old garages and dealerships, the three photos below show you just a small sampling of the 77 pages filled with photos of them that you can find on The Old Motor.

reedbros12.jpg

Hud1.jpg

Euclid1.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Keep them coming, it may help others who need answers. Dodge Brothers and Graham Brothers are of especially high interest during the period of 1926-1933

Here's a Packard dealership in Phoenix AZ. Circa 1928 that may help someone.

http://mmm.lib.msu.edu/record.php?id=25809

EB01e918.jpg

Here is a modern day photo of the red brick building I'm trying to find historic photos of in Pittsfield MA located at 14 Maplewood Ave.

Funny, most of these buildings are a lot smaller than I imagined they would be...

The building sits just to the west or right of the St Josephs High School. If anyone has any old photos of this location I would be very interested in seeing them.

post-69994-143142590563_thumb.png

• 5 years later...

Our car is a 1921 Lincoln Deluxe Touring that was commissioned and sold by Puritan Motors Corporation, Boston Mass one of the first 15 Lincoln distributors,.

A late 1920s map shows the building it was owned by Ford, then the video shows it when it was owned by Ellis the Rim Man, now it is a school.

• Like 1

Ford began assembling Model T's in Charlotte in 1914.  In 1916 moved to a larger existing building.  In 1924. assembly moved to a new plant designed by Alfred Kahn.  This assembly plant operated until 1933.  During WWII it was a US Army weapons depot and after the war became warehouse space.  This building has been saved.

Ford Assembly Plant Charlotte NC.jpg

Edited by 61polara
More info (see edit history)

On 12/20/2019 at 8:37 PM, dc-8dave said:

Hello Stakeside,

Here are a few of images relating to the Elko, Nevada Dodge Brothers Dealer better known as Van Leer & Harriman. I don't know when they gave up selling Dodge Cars & Trucks.

01.jpg

167071.jpg

3971200.jpg

ad.jpg

ad2.jpg

Thanks for your information. This will be an addition to my history of this truck. 

This area is known as a farming and mining community. 

After I Goggled mapped this address it appears the building has been replaced with a motel.

• Like 1

Love the Maxwells !  My dad's uncle George Kaufman in Akron, Ohio had one.  I got to see it in 58 when we drove up to visit them.  Being 9 at the time, I was much more impressed with Aunt Elsie's new 58 Ford convertible with loud mufflers, ha !  Wish I knew then what I know ( and appreciate ) now.

Lundstrom’s Mercury-Lincoln Dealership and Service

Lundstrom’s Mercury-Lincoln car dealership is pictured at 1631 K Street Sacramento in this July 25, 1948 photograph. The business was founded in 1941 by the Wisconsin-born Fred Lundstrom. A man known for his automotive connections, it is said that he was friends with Ford Motor Company founder and mogul Henry Ford, and his wife, Edsel. After his sudden death in 1954, the reigns of the business fell to his son, M. Wesley. After four years, however,the dealership was sold to former Lundstrom sales manager Roy Jacobes who promptly opened R-J Lincoln-Mercury Sales. Over the next three decades, the property, which sits on the northwest corner of Seventeenth and K Streets, fluctuated between vacancy and auto-related occupancy until, in 1995, it became home to the Sacramento Ballet Company.

Original selling dealer for my 1966 Mercury Parklane convertible. 

Lundstroms_MercuryLincoln_Dealership_and_Service.jpg

IMG_2801.jpg

R J linc Merc.jpg

1966 PL cv_0001.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

dc-8dave, Thanks for identifying where this was taken. The heart shaped radiator opening was last used in 1919 so it's no later than that. Because it shows a factory cut away chassis I'd say they  are touting the longer wheelbase  and new rear springs of the 1918 Model 25. 1918 also saw the windshield bottom corners rounded instead of 1917's square corners.

Howard Dennis

Not near as palatial as most on here, but I came across this country crossroads service garage just yesterday. The road in front of it was built up years ago,making auto access difficult. There appears to be a '70's-ish Mercury (?) showing in the right front window. It's located just north of Scotland, Ontario.

IMG_1598 (2).JPG

IMG_1598 (3).JPG

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

My contribution to this topic around old dealerships, comes from finding a badge mounted to my 1938 Plymouth. I purchased my car in May 2019. A local car from BC Canada I was told. I travelled to Vancouver Island to purchase it. Ferry service to and from Vancouver Island did not commence until 1960. Good chance my 1938 Plymouth may had never left Vancouver Island until I towed it to the mainland. I took it home and got to work on it. 

When my head was down under the dash one day I noticed a brass badge mounted to the inside of the firewall. Up and ahead of the transmission gear shift. As seen attached here. This led me to the internet to research things.  I learned that Begg was BC's first every automotive dealership. They carried several brands of cars. It appears the Chrysler Corp relationship started in the 19-teens when Begg was a Dodge Brothers dealer. As we know Chrysler purchased Dodge Bros in mind-1928. Begg must have then taken on the full Chrysler line up. Plymouth, Desoto, Dodge, Chrysler and Imperial.  I was informed by car's previous long-time owner that he bought the car from the original owners from the Victoria BC area in the early 60's. My car, originally purchased from the Begg dealership on Vancouver Island, when new in 1938.

Attached here are a few pics of the old Begg car dealership. The company ended a long time ago. Only history remains. I am proud and happy to own a piece of local BC history.  I hope that some day I can take the car back to Victoria BC to the "Duece Days". Probably the largest gathering of old cars in the region. 

This first pic is Begg's display at an annual car show .

2009036407_ScreenShot2020-02-01at8_06_33AM.png.be0db283dd7862526984f9b3168c30b3.png

Here is the badge I found attached to my car:

IMG_4317.jpg

Out front of the Begg dealership in about 1920?

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 8.28.15 AM.png

Archives claim this is inside the Begg dealership. The showroom in 1921. I find the decor interesting. Like they were attempting to 

bring a feeling of tropical adventure. Perhaps taking the cars on an expedition to new tropical warm lands somewhere?

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 8.30.18 AM.png

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)

• 3 years later...

Thought I'd bring this old thread up and share this information for anyone looking for Miller Motor Co or the A.E. Mayhew and Son Hudson Dealership in Atchison KS on 9th and Commercial streets. Both locations still exist according to Google maps.

00944547.jpg

image.png.cf5d0826480e0080701dcb16f9c3f494.png

• Like 4

• 8 months later...