Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend

JohnD1956

Back from about 150 miles of perfect top down weather in the Park Ave convert. I have been working, off and on, since 2011 to take that smooth reliable ride- with time out for a stroke and a heart attack.

I let my wife out by the house and told her I was pleased with it, the white car can do the same, the black as well, and the Riviera. I told her the Packard was next and she gets to be test rider. I think she was speechless. She just got out and didn't say anything.

Bernie

Although I have been driving the 56 all weekend, and took it to our Chapter Picnic in the hill towns of Albany County, NY first I need to get caught up with last weeks trip to the Yankee Chapter show.  So without further ado , and with apologies for any lousy quality pictures, I'll begin with one of the photos snapped on the drive from NY to Wallingford CT, via the interstates:

Even the Mass Pike is a gorgeous ride in the Berkshire Mountains:

med_gallery_77230_214_15224.jpg

But later on, closer to Wallingford the trip was a lot less friendly.  Still the Beautiful Buicks at the show soothed the soul

med_gallery_77230_214_141588.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_157716.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_283168.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_323272.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_64946.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_378342.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_400494.jpg

And check out this modification...

med_gallery_77230_214_79479.jpg

The GPS!!!  Bet the original owner could have used that back in the day!!!

Just a few more:

med_gallery_77230_214_69580.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_510101.jpg

I found this one particularly interesting because it had a black interior.  I don't believe I had ever seen a black interior on this era Buick before.

med_gallery_77230_214_356539.jpg

Anyhow, there were a lot of nice A bodies, and some great modifieds, plus the Buick powered dragster.  Just another nice show by the Yankee Chapter, and now back to the topic, the ride!

• Like 1

So, at 3 PM, with the 90+ heat of the day at it's peak, the last place I wanted to be was back on that interstate.  A quick route was chosen which meandered through the CT interior and not knowing what to expect, I missed a lot of nice photo opportunities.  But here are a few pictures of the open roads we traveled.  A wonderful ride

med_gallery_77230_214_409334.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_28883.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_295220.jpg

Some great New England Architecture, murdered by the picture taker, but you get the idea

med_gallery_77230_214_214444.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_342596.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_155652.jpg

med_gallery_77230_214_93476.jpg

And the final one for this trip:

med_gallery_77230_214_282262.jpg

The back roads added about 45 minutes to the ride, even though the mileage was less.  But it was an awesome trip! 

Great photos, JohnD1956!

Lots of Buick activity on my end during the last few days.  My wife and I met up with Eric & Karen Bernard and their fine, original '58 Buick Century on Thursday for dinner and a few photos with the '58 and '59:

20635434350_33a70f50e9_b.jpg

20636693629_54671d35ef_b.jpg

20813950992_bac5909cf8_b.jpg

Saturday morning's visit to Seattle's Museum of Flight, where the '71 Centurion pays homage to the majestic Lockheed Super Constellation.

20831727785_6e3452151a_b.jpg

• Like 1

A bit late with this post, but we drove home in the '41 Roadmaster without incident, the car ran great all weekend. We traveled about 325 miles from Friday aft., to Sunday aft.

Really nice weather throughout the weekend, low to mid 70's, mainly sunny, with a few pretty clouds to make the sky look good.

Keith

Great photos, JohnD1956!

Lots of Buick activity on my end during the last few days.  My wife and I met up with Eric & Karen Bernard and their fine, original '58 Buick Century on Thursday for dinner and a few photos with the '58 and '59:

20635434350_33a70f50e9_b.jpg

20636693629_54671d35ef_b.jpg

20813950992_bac5909cf8_b.jpg

The radical change in design from 58-59 is astonishing. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Had the Buick out on the 47th Annual Bug Tussle Trek!  From home it was 290 miles round trip with start in Farmersville and stops in Bonham, Bug Tussle, Honey Grove, Roxton and overnight in Paris (Texas, that is).  Then back through Roxton, Ben Franklin, Pecan Gap, Ladonia, and Wolfe City, to Celeste and then to Farmersville for lunch.  Nice weather for the Trek and no problems for any of the 35 or so old cars.

post-111250-0-00711100-1441055837_thumb.post-111250-0-26785400-1441055806_thumb.

• Like 1

Took a 110 mile jaunt in the Electra, to the Motorama show in North Adams, MA.  Haven't had it out in two weeks, and was really missing the ole girl.

Rt 2 through NY is a back woods route to N. Adams.  And it must be years since the road was paved.  But the Queen just flowed over those rough patches, reinforcing the decision to purchase a large car!

med_gallery_77230_219_45908.jpg

med_gallery_77230_219_94401.jpg

But the roads in Mass were much better!  Once we entered Williamstown Ma,

We drove through the Williams College Campus, which features some awesome buildings:

med_gallery_77230_219_35520.jpg

med_gallery_77230_219_92526.jpg

med_gallery_77230_219_92428.jpg

med_gallery_77230_219_69679.jpg

But then it was on to the show, where we were greeted by this:

med_gallery_77230_219_209770.jpg

I heard there were over 500 cars, which took up the main street, and 3 side streets, plus more than one parking lot, including two large parking lots.  There were a few Buicks, and a number of cars in original condition, or restored to original condition. But most vehicles were modified. There were big tractor trucks, farm tractors, motorcycles, snowmobiles, pickups and at least one Funny car, which was quite loud. 

More pictures coming soon.

I took the '56 to a local cruise in tonight, not too far, about 10-12 miles round trip, but it was nice to drive it for the first time in a couple of weeks.

A Mercedes 190D parked beside me, I think it must be late 50's early 60's ??? I really don't know those cars too well, but look at the lights on the sides of the front fenders, turn signals, I'd guess. The tires were so small 175/13's compared to the Buick's.

Keith

post-119367-0-85170100-1441161860_thumb.post-119367-0-68512600-1441162419_thumb.

Has to be fun to find a picture of your car on someone's photo album.  It is such a nice vehicle.  Thanks for posting.

The event always brings a ton of people.

This year DENNIS GAGE of “My Classic Car” was the special guest.

DSC_0100.jpg

Edited by xp-300 (see edit history)

I drove the 37 Century to our local Cars and Coffee this morning. After that, we took it to lunch at a local diner. Lots of folks wanted to admire it and talk about cars at lunch. One of our local AACA Chapter members took this photo at Cars and Coffee.

post-90592-0-28466500-1441509989_thumb.j

• Like 2

I drove the 37 Century to our local Cars and Coffee this morning. After that, we took it to lunch at a local diner. Lots of folks wanted to admire it and talk about cars at lunch. One of our local AACA Chapter members took this photo at Cars and Coffee.

Awesome looking 37.

• Like 1

Thanks John. The first antique car that I fell in love with was a 1937 Buick Sedan. I could not buy it but I vowed that one day I would own a 1937 Buick Sedan. In 1996 I bought my first antique car, A 1931 Model A Ford Sedan. I have owned quite a few different Model A's and other antique cars over the years.

A year or so I realized that I was retired and "one day" had arrived. I found the 1937 Century on Ebay and bought it. 

I have told this story a few times but some may not have heard it, and nobody knows the additional information that I received about that car recently.

In 1980, I joined the Whiteville Police Department.  About 1981, while working as a night shift police officer, I discovered two old Buicks parked on the back lot of Harold Wells’ car wash on Walter Street.  Mr. Wells was also the local Oldsmobile and GMC Truck Dealer at the time.  He later owned even more Automotive Franchises in Whiteville.

Anybody who has worked as a night shift police officer can tell you that sometimes you have to get out of the car and walk around on slow nights for a few minutes to stay awake.  My favorite place for my occasional sleepy strolls was around those old Buicks.  If memory serves me correctly, one was a 1937 trunk back Sedan and the other was a 1939 Sedan.  I liked the vertical grill style of the earlier car.  I tried to talk Mr. Wells into selling me the car, but he was not interested in selling.  It probably was good that I did not get it, as I would have had very little idea how to go about restoring the car at that time.  

I moved away in 1984. Every time I went home to visit, I would stop by and look at those cars. Time did not treat them well.   About 10 years ago, I last saw the rusting hulk of the 1939 Buick behind a Highway 130 car dealership that Mr. Wells had subsequently bought and sold since I had first seen the old Buicks downtown.      

I recently spoke with Mr. Wells son and asked if he had any idea what happened to the 1937 Buick. He told me that Mr. Wells had traded a new car for those two Buicks and several other old cars. A few they sold, but the two Buicks sat there for a long time due to title issues and lack of inside storage. Mr. Wells eventually advertised the cars in Hemmings and sold the 1937 to a collector who only wanted the Side Mounted Spares and was going to part out the rest of the car. So, now I at least have an idea of what happened to the 1937 Buick Sedan that first inspired me.

• Like 2

To MCHinson, thanks for sharing your story with us, it was quite interesting, sad too, that what might of been a decent car was left to decay. But it gave you the inspiration to buy one some time, so its' time there was not really in vain after all.

One of the first '56 Buick's I tried to buy was in a similar situation, and in way, it is just as well that didn't get to buy that car too, as I did not have the skill, time, or money, to repair it properly.

I just loved the cars, that's all.

Anyway to get back on track, my wife and I took our '56 Roadmaster out for an after dinner drive to a corner of our huge city where a the country meets the city for about a 20-25 mile drive. Still quite warm here in Toronto, but the heat of the day was gone by then and it was lovely to cruise around with all the windows down!

Keith

• Like 1

Love driving the truck.

Started out the day by driving to church and back home.

Then went out to Costco for a few things, then to the grocery store, then to Sam's club for some gas, then Home Depot for some hardware, and finally home.

Put on about 35 miles.

Getting ready for a parade tomorrow with friends.

• Like 1

We are on the road to the 1936-38 club's Tour around Nashville TN. Since we had the embarrassing roll back ride home on our attempt to drive our 37 to the Buick nationals in Springfield we feel she was now ready to go. After installing my re-cored radiator and redoing the manifold gaskets the 37 is running cool and quiet. We put on 385 miles today driving from Chambersburg PA to Bristol VA/TN. Temperature gage pretty much stayed around 160-180 all day. Even at over 90 degrees. We have a little under 300 miles to do tomorrow to get to Muffreesboro TN where we will meet the rest of the group.post-121302-0-89850100-1441592849_thumb.post-121302-0-79191800-1441592942_thumb.

• Like 1

I don't remember hearing that story before Matt.  Interesting twists.  I always figure if you can't make the deal you want then it just is not meant to be.  And there is a good reason.  Of course, that means someone had it in for me when I got my first 78 Electra, and my 95 Riviera too.  Both of those cars really tested my patience! 

Also to get back to the thread, had the 56 out today for 38 miles of pure enjoyment!  Many thumbs up and "nice car" comments,  even two from some 40'ish ladies...  I just love those unsolicited but appreciative comments when driving by?

Matt,

Your '37 Buick looks great !  

It would have been a hit on the Glidden Tour last week. Maybe we'll see it on Founders next week in Ohio?

Marty,

Sorry you won't see me there, but now that the temperatures are starting to be a little bit more moderate here, the 37 is likely to be out on a nearly daily basis for the next month or so.

I drove my '67 Riviera from Ft. Worth to Georgetown, TX Sunday to attend a funeral of a family friend.  Its about a 3 hour drive each way.  I first thought I'd take my Lucerne for economy, but when I found gas available for $1.88/gallon decided it was a good day for the big block to get exercise.   I-35 was in better condition than the last time and traffic wasn't too bad for a holiday weekend.  Of course it was a comfortable ride, after all it's a Buick! 

Chuck Bloomberg.

• Like 2

Took the truck to the Romeo Peach Festival parade today. 

Was it HOT-HOT-HOT.  Over 90degF.

:)  The best news is that we drove the whole parade and the truck DID NOT OVERHEAT! :)

Had a good time with some high school friends who rode in the back of the truck for the parade.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I took the '56 Roadmaster to a local cruise night that I often attend on Tues evenings. It sometimes get boring, but every once in a while something neat shows up. A guy had a 1980 Rolls Royce Corniche convert there for the first time. Nice car, near flawless paint, but the interior show showed wear, and it is a fairly high mileage car. I think that is nice, as some one bought and then loved to drive this very expensive car. Which is what the current owner likes to do also.

Then he went back to his garage and brought another of his cars, one car I have never seen before, a Borgworg Isabella coupe, 1957 I believe he said. I have seen the odd sedan, but never a coupe. The light was bad so pictures were tough, but I'll post one of the Borgworg. Very neat looking little car, made in Germany.

Keith

post-119367-0-20137300-1441812738_thumb.

• Like 1