Winter Buicks

JohnD1956

On 5/4/2019 at 9:38 PM, RivNut said:

You must live in a different part of the country.  I've never seen snow come in swim trunks.

You must live in a different part of the country.  I've never seen snow come in swim trunks.

Corrected my post , but swim trunks common in Cyprus , so you never know.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/11/2019 at 2:04 PM, Elpad said:

Coming soon to a region near you

just a reminder to my friends up North

Sorry guys.

805E613C-6985-48D6-B041-5D8113C2D802.jpeg

Thanks for the reminder  ElPad!  But we still have a little time left for this fall. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Believe me, there are at least two Buicks in this picture from this past Monday's storm here. 

Holy, Holy John!

That's some snow fall you got there! Old Lake Ontario must have blown some your way to give you that much.

Guess I'll give some thanks as we missed any measurable amount that day and if Sunday's forecast holds true... considering taking the Special out for a ride and some pictures.

Hope you didn't break a shovel (or your back) with the cleanup.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dei said:

Holy, Holy John!

That's some snow fall you got there! Old Lake Ontario must have blown some your way to give you that much.

Guess I'll give some thanks as we missed any measurable amount that day and if Sunday's forecast holds true... considering taking the Special out for a ride and some pictures.

Hope you didn't break a shovel (or your back) with the cleanup.

Dei, I believe it was a stalled Nor-Easter.  Came in from the  Atlantic and then sat for a few hours.  But the snowblower chewed it right up

pXnLaSfSZvOGfkr5bss6eajTftfA2VlvF_Olw_kYc6i5QyLYgR_wjxKRvDCVdQcGiz4YsbeZ2EulUmSbwsA7beDM7mr6iClch_A_BhAoyPtw1-AffoXh56turQgRa7fIsLvj9MN6dpx-XB1lmWJIQZ8qk7WaSDzz4tM0GvPAylUq5qHkycrFe2tFvjM-BrctrVo4bfq-AdWaKrw-7gYmiaGhBWAYRQGBKKwpmPHjZ4qEJ0C7Edb509viFHM8N-WyqbVx8Z1TlmSUKXA--DaqCdJ86dKHI1cWMmC3KhMUunTZ6Q5y_-VxTqz74WHp1vCW1J5h_hdX_cnK1dq0h_zfLZ2U9j_wFqpRM94SjEMWSfPMFoNi_ycsDD8j1ZoTtFvoMyatXqHiXBixcuiYEQQsRUdwTsMEQQrBhj7Q00gtPBA5YT-TVqa6OwJGwKdDtPoycrGBSULemAsPHkGGGNMPyH-H-CHOKUAGj-zQecjjXG3KbEdo9oLynx9_XnN58XYTijsZEhDzE5Z1Nk4ITwK1w48HsCUS3b0rDSdxo7KbGY-rL5I827PRw2HcMaabx2urLCcSNIMmwNPberoLYVzHQliV8Y3wSkWwvt2oIqUveF796wIqJRH2QKe92fXpGstX7oRPYybqECYm_7ACQTnXZqk-MSB0cD9E5csQop5rkUNcZ6G4y4sXQEg=w492-h655-no 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Last week the heating contractors were here to install the gas furnance for the new garage, plus put a larger one in the old one, so the '41 Roadmaster had to sit outside overnight, and we had a few inches of snow.

Here's a couple of pictures, it does look kind of neat covered with snow. Now it's warm and most of our beautiful snow has melted!

Keith

BuickSnow1.jpg

41BuickSnow2.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, neil morse said:

winter.jpg.a0dea54c9089a96b35abe3d4bf8d282a.jpg

How does the girl who fixes the snowplow-

Get to the snowplow?

(with apologies to VW)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

What is "Winter"?😎

We did have a cool-ish night several months ago when the overnight temp got down to the mid-40s

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2020 at 11:37 PM, Marty Roth said:

What is "Winter"?😎

We did have a cool-ish night several months ago when the overnight temp got down to the mid-40s

Isn't that the 4-5 days you don't have a hurricane or tornado threat?  🤔

Of course we in the Northeast face a risk of the same ourselves.  While in no way as powerful as some from the Midwest and south, we did have a EF-1 tornado in Saratoga  County on Friday evening.  They are very rare events in our area but it was enough to knock out power to something like 71,000 people and snap off some soft wood trees.   Luckily, we were not among those. 

• Haha 2

On 5/17/2020 at 12:08 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Isn't that the 4-5 days you don't have a hurricane or tornado threat?  🤔

Of course we in the Northeast face a risk of the same ourselves.  While in no way as powerful as some from the Midwest and south, we did have a EF-1 tornado in Saratoga  County on Friday evening.  They are very rare events in our area but it was enough to knock out power to something like 71,000 people and snap off some soft wood trees.   Luckily, we were not among those. 

Yes, John, there are possible complications to essentially every part of this wonderful country.

Our last flood damage here in Metairie, an suburb of New Orleans, was August, 2005 when Katrina hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast but political stupidity caused flooding here 4 days after the storm. The later-jailed council president kept evacuated police, fire EMS, and Pump station operators away for a week. In nearby jurisdictions, firefighters broke into the pumping stations and saved entire neighborhoods. The gigantic drainage pumps here in Metairie lost their air-lock and Lake Pontchartrain back-flowed through the pumps into the drainage canals, streets, homes and businesses - strictly a man-made disaster, at least in our neighborhood!

While dozens of tornados have tended to travel north of the lake, (not to mention the Great Plains), there was a strong wind shear which took a roof in our neighborhood a few blocks from home back in the 1970s.

We're on alert six months out of the year for tropical systems, but generally have a good week's worth of advance notice as to general area, and a few days of actual time to batten down the hatches, or to get-outta'-Dodge.

Having been raised in the frigid north, and spent too many winters shoveling too many driveways, sidewalks, etc - slip sliding through snow and ice, and arriving at my office with slush in my socks.

Having met my now-bride of nearly fifty-one years in New Orleans, and enjoying Gulf of Mexico fishing, shrimping, and water skiing - even over Christmas and New Years holidays,

I will deal with my choice and be able to drive our old cars year-round.

Oh, by the way John, we do love your area of the country, and very much look forward to this year's Glidden Tour, to be hosted by VMCCA at Saratoga Springs, New York, and my Dad was raised in Plattsburgh, NY!

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...