BCA Driven Class "Judges" for 2013 Needed

38Buick 80C

Time for my annual plea for Driven Class Judges at the BCA National Meet.

I need 6-8 volunteers to help judge the Driven Class. The Driven Class is the fun class, so I use the term judge very loosely. Basically we gawk at old Buicks that have intrepid owners willing to drive their trophies and hand out grill badges in return.

Generally we split up into teams of 2-3 and certify all the cars. We'll start at 9AM and we are typically done in an hour, so you have plenty of time to socialize and see the rest of the showfield.

OK so downsides

We are not official BCA judges So...

a. no hat

b. no pin

c. no official judging credit

d. no free judges breakfast

Upsides

No judges breakfast to sit through

No judges training either

No sitting through Judges admin after judging is complete

Get to see a wide variety of Buick and socialize while doing it and then have plenty of time to do as you please.

If you are interested, let me know (PM me your email and cell phone) and I'll establish a meeting location on Saturday morning of the event and we'll have some fun gawking at Buicks.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to provide a big thank you to

Brian, Mark, Marck, Dave Rex, Ship, and Bill McLaughlin (and Brian's son helped too)

for assisting me as Driven Class hooligans, ...I mean judges... and for carrying around all the grill badges for me. I really appreciate your assistance and I hope you had fun. I know we got to see some really neat cars in the driven class including a '62 Ambulance (or maybe it was a '63, have to check my notes). Also several forum members had cars in the driven class that we got to see in person so I want to thank them for bringing their cars out!

Thanks again guys!!:D

I want to provide a big thank you to

Brian, Mark, Marck, Dave Rex, Ship, and Bill McLaughlin (and Brian's son helped too)

for assisting me as Driven Class hooligans, ...I mean judges... and for carrying around all the grill badges for me. I really appreciate your assistance and I hope you had fun. I know we got to see some really neat cars in the driven class including a '62 Ambulance (or maybe it was a '63, have to check my notes). Also several forum members had cars in the driven class that we got to see in person so I want to thank them for bringing their cars out!

Thanks again guys!!:D

Thanks. Great show. Great cars. Great people. Pomeroy's brother could not make it to the big meet, so Pomeroy brought his brother's 1941 Buick Series 90 Limited Model 91 Six Passenger Touring Sedan for him. Lots of looks. Thanks to Mike Book and Brian DePouli. Plus I got a nice shirt out of it too.

post-75225-143142028643_thumb.jpg

That 41 Limited was NICE!!!!!. It was my pleasure to both work with Brian and meet some of the guys I knew of but had never met. You know that saying about "the best laid plans of mice and men...." The hotel put up an iron picket fence shortly before the meet that wound up blocking direct pedestrian access to the Driven class area. With many thanks to Mike Book we were able to, after judging the cars, direct the Driven Class cars to an area behind the hotels which was much closer to the main show field activities.

Don't know which National I'll able to get to next, but I'll look forward to judging in this class and working with these guys!

Had a great time judging the Driven Class!

Saw a lot of cars that were Bronze, Silver or Gold quality if they had been registered in 400 point judging.

Thanks to all who helped judge and those to brought their cars to be judged, without which our judging would have been unnecessary! :)

Had a great time judging the Driven Class!

Saw a lot of cars that were Bronze, Silver or Gold quality if they had been registered in 400 point judging.

Thanks to all who helped judge and those to brought their cars to be judged, without which our judging would have been unnecessary! :)

Amen to Brian's comment on the quality of many of the cars in this Class.

It is interesting to note that the " driven class " is still treated like second class citizens. They are not given anything except the grille badge, and that is given out on the field. All the emphasis is on the "trailer Queens" although the people promoting the BCA are the ones that DRIVE their Buicks.

I think Brian tries hard to promote tbe BCA to people that enjoy their Buicks, but he is still fighting a losing battle. I quit fighting the "powers that be" and don;t even belong to the BCA anymore I drove a Buick to EVERY BCA National from 1971 to 2009 and finally threw in the towel. I won't say anymore.

It is interesting to note that the " driven class " is still treated like second class citizens. They are not given anything except the grille badge, and that is given out on the field. All the emphasis is on the "trailer Queens" although the people promoting the BCA are the ones that DRIVE their Buicks.

I think Brian tries hard to promote tbe BCA to people that enjoy their Buicks, but he is still fighting a losing battle. I quit fighting the "powers that be" and don;t even belong to the BCA anymore I drove a Buick to EVERY BCA National from 1971 to 2009 and finally threw in the towel. I won't say anymore.

Please don't deprive all of us of your knowledge. I would really like to meat you sometime. I probably will not drive my '50 as many miles as you have your '40, but not for want of trying. I will probably just run out of time!

Ben

IMO the only thing wrong with the way the Driven Class is handled is that there are too many rules. If you drive your car to the meet and want a driven award, you should get one. No if's, and's, or but's... I too am sorry you feel the way you do Joe, but I had a thoroughly enjoyable time at this meet. 400Pt, Archival, driven...it's the owners choice and what floats their boat. Who are we to take that from them? And the way the award is given, and the award it self is appropriate for the class. You don't have to be there for your car to get this award. You don't even have to clean your car. And that allows you more time to visit and enjoy the rest of the event. In the end you have proof that your car was seen and appreciated for it's stamina. What could be better than that?

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

I was under the mistaken impression that the "Driven" class would be judged on a point scale. We wanted to get a judging sheet so we would know what we would need to bring the car up to snuff. Live and Learn. Next time we'll just have the car judged in the 400 category.

I was under the mistaken impression that the "Driven" class would be judged on a point scale. We wanted to get a judging sheet so we would know what we would need to bring the car up to snuff. Live and Learn. Next time we'll just have the car judged in the 400 category.

There is often confusion on the class among first time participants. The Driven Class judging really comes down to a "certification" that the car is not modified (hence the Modified Driven Class), has necessary safety items (fire ext and spare tire), and was driven all the way from home to the Meet. The judging form itself is intended to be filled out by the owner themselves. The "judges" simply verify the form and issue the award.

In Ames, we were able to register in both "Driven" and either 400 point or Archival. This allowed people to be recognized for both driving their car to the meet and recognized for the condition/restoration/preservation of the car as well. This is the best of both worlds and should not be difficult to do. PLUS, Driven class was only a $10 fee that year!

As a Driven Class judge and Assistance Driven Class Chairman, I appreciate and thank you for your efforts to drive and enjoy your Buick on the way to the Meet!