Car of the Century

Terry Bond

It's time for the annual Hampton Roads Auto Show in Virginia Beach, and this year the event celebrates its 100th Anniversary. The event sponsors put together a special contest this year as a tribute - they've created a "Car of the Century" contest of sorts. Local collectors were asked to enter their vehicle with photo and a representative sample was chosen by a committee as finalists, one car from each decade. Here is the list of finalists - all currently on exhibit at the auto show. My Model T sure looks great under the lighting, on red carpet no less! The public gets to vote for what they think is the "Car of the Century." I thought it would be great to see what the folks on the forum might choose. I know there were a lot of great cars entered, and probably some not even entered that should have been - but this is the list we've got, so let's hear from you -Car of the Century

Decade Finalists

1903 Cadillac Rear Entry Tonneau

1914 Ford Model T Touring

1928 Ford Model A Sport Coupe

1933 Packard V12

1948 MG TC

1958 Chevrolet Corvette

1962 Willlys Jeep Station Wagon l

1971 Chevrolet C-10

1981 DeLorean DMC-12

1991 Porsche 928GT

Thought it was pretty cool too that 7 of the 10 cars belong to members of our Tidewater Region AACA. We'll sign up the other three.

Terry

post-30751-143138791764_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138791774_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138791783_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138791791_thumb.jpg

post-30751-1431387918_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138791809_thumb.jpg

post-30751-143138791817_thumb.jpg

Hi Terry,

I'd nominate the 1955 Citroen DS-19.

The beauty of design, mechanical / hydraulic self-leveling circuitry which also shifted the 4-speed stickshift;

the basic roll-cage with detachable steel body panels and fibregleass roof simply bolted on;

4-cylinder HEMI Mid-Engine Front Wheel Drive;

Fantastic handling in Ice and Snow for the Alpine Rallyes:

Inboard mounted front Disk brakes with rotors larger than the wheels and fresh-air ducts acting upon them;

Single Bolt attachment for road wheels

Supreme comfort/safety/handling.

Front and Rear Crush Zones while protecting passenger compartment with roll cage

Extreme low coeficient of wind-drag

Steering head lamps (in later model)

No-Dive front suspension under heavy braking

One single hydraulic system for:

Suspension

Power Steering

Power Brakes - Reserve capacity for 20 stops

even without engine running

Shifting Fork Actuation

Clutch Disengagement/Engagement

Automatic Jacking for tire changing

Adjustable Ride Height

And you could still Crank-Start it if the battery failed

Guest Oracle

I have had this argument before online...the car that defined the layout for millions of cars afterwards was the 1959 Austin Seven and Morris Mini-Minor, aka the original Mini. Transverse engines, front-wheel drive, car for the masses, badge-engineering, it had it all. Built in steel and GRP, in the UK and overseas... The T was the first mass-produced car but it did not lead anywhere in the development of the automobile. However, this will run and run and Italians may well argue that the FIAT 600 Multipla was the first MPV (though I have said that the 1922 London-built Chevrolet 490 Superior Rural Bus 7-seater convertible bus/van was the first). the French the Citroen Traction Avant, the Germans the VW, etc. so you will never get a concensus.

The T was arguably not the first 'world car', and I have been quoted in magazines to the effect that this title was bestowable on the '1926 Selling Season' or 'Late K' Chevrolet Superior K Series K, which was assembled from S America to Australia. The last Ts as you know were built in Cork, Ireland, in 1927, just after Trafford Park, Manchester, England ceased.

Guest Oracle

I think I am right in saying that in one poll of journos the T won in the Car of the Century poll and in another the Mini. In the end it's probably a tie. The Mini has also great historical interest, influence and sociological effect. The T introduced mass production, and production for the masses but did not introduce any new standards of engineering design. However at the end of the day it's down to where the poll is being held and by whom...much the same as the European Car of the Year compos each year!

I must also mention the 1915 Model 51 Cadillacs: the first GM cars to introduce the now-standard left clutch, centre brake and right accelerator. Also the first series prodcution V-8s. I think Englishman F. R. Simms had a V-8 racer in 1905? Willing to be corrected here!

Edited by Oracle (see edit history)

Car of the last century, It's the T for me! :D

We are now starting the 12th year of this century. I've been wondering what will be the coveted mile stone automobiles of this century in 50 years. Perhaps a Hybrid? Dandy Dave!

Guest Oracle

I respectfully understand what you guys say, but from this side of the Pond, it was the Mini that, after it went around the world, made mass motoring possible for the masses. Its competition success was legendary. The T did nothing for us, and possibly less for other countries including Canada. That said, the T did introduce the first concept of a peple's car.

The Mini meant the death knell in the UK for the motorcycle and sidecar, the bastion of the poor man's transport. It set the precedent fpor a whole new way of life.

That all said we non-American vehicle historians understand and respect what Henry achieved, and so plaudits are due both to both Henry Ford and Alex Issigonis for being visionairies.

Best wishes,

David

I must also mention the 1915 Cadillacs: the first cars to introduce the now-standard left clutch, centre brake and right accelerator.

I would respectfully disagree with that statement. My EMF has the same pedal pattern, as did MANY cars of the era, and mine was built in 1910, albeit on the right side of the car...

Frank

I'd have to add, even though I would support the T, the Curved Dash Oldsmobile gets a lot disrespect as the Olds Motor Works had a huge amount of firsts from mass production, assembly line and advertising. You didn't think I'd let this one pass by did you?:D The T just had too much of an affect on the population to not give it credit.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

I'd have to agree that Austin would be an important one to discuss, if we were talking about the world-wide picture on the topic, and I'm sure there are a lot of other historically significant cars like the VW, Olds, and the 1955 Citroen Marty mentioned, but the show was restricted to a selection of what was entered, and selected by the committee, which I suspect was comprised of folks from the Hampton Roads Auto Dealers Association who put the event together. I sort of anticipated a Dusenburg as we've got a couple of them in the club. It must have been difficult to narrow this down to the ten on display as I know of several amazing vehicles that were not selected. The final selection was done by the public. When the votes were counted today, the 1933 Packard was chosen, and it sure is a fantastic car! Of course I'm kinda partial to the Model T and I agree with everything said about it's place in history.

I'm not sure what they will do for next years event but they enjoyed participation by our members and we really enjoyed the way we were given "red carpet" treatment.

Terry

As we all know, the public doesn't always get it right in elections.

Yes, I too liked the Packard and would love to have it in my collection,

but that was not the question.

The Model T wins without a doubt, the Car the last Century. (I'd like

to have that one too)

post-32318-143138794274_thumb.jpg

Anybody who came to the show was eligible to vote. The auto dealers association had nice signs up and we all added our own "show signs" telling the history of the car and other info. Of course some people stop and read, absorb the info and really anguish over their choice, while others vote based on some other criteria - sort of like every other election I guess. Anyway, we had fun and again, we all enjoyed showing our cars in a venue where we were really appreciated. I had a blast visiting with folks and telling about the car, something we often don't have time for at some events. Sharing with (and educating) the public is a big part of this hobby and our responsibility. I think the Tidewater Region AACA did a great job of promoting and we are picking up some new members in the process. I know that on my sign in bold letters I had "Love Old Cars? Visit our website www.aaca.org/tidewater." We gave out a lot of applications.

Terry

Guest Oracle

The Olds Runabout was the first widely-exported car by 1902. Examples were shipped to the UK and Australia as well as other countries. Olds had British patents as well as US ones!

..............I think the Tidewater Region AACA did a great job of promoting and we are picking up some new members in the process. I know that on my sign in bold letters I had "Love Old Cars? Visit our website www.aaca.org/tidewater." We gave out a lot of applications.

Terry

Great job Terry. The Tidewater Region always seems to be ahead of the curve with the promotion of our hobby. Kodos to you guys!

Wayne

Guest Oracle

Good point; I have seen that episode. I can be seen in one episode of Top Gear as I was given four free tickets once!

I have had letters published in the British motoring press on the subject of 'nothing new under the Sun'. One occasion was the launch of a new Renault with semi-automatic clutch. I pointed-out that the Renault Ferlic transmission of 1956 used iron filings in the (electronic) semi-auto trans. Also that the 1906 Magnetic had a smiliar-concept trans.!

One argument that has raged over the years is who invented the removable top? Porsche's Targa Top is famous but Ron Hickman of Lotus and Workmate fame designed a removable top for the 1957 Ford Anglia-based sports car that he penned. Certainly by 1918 Rex removable tops were available to convert open cars, and I think that the concept is even older. Perhaps someone will point out that such was available for horse-drawn vehicles? The US concept of a wagon that had removable seats in it to take the family to church on Sundays came across the Pond to be adopted by 1922 to create the 'Rural Bus' convertible van/bus. As has just been said:

To make a universal statement would require a universal survey

That's a nice quotation to be kept for future adoption if not copyrighted!

Guest Bill Miller

I can't think of any car more deserving of Car of the Century status than the T, no contest, and I don't even own one and never have. It's just because the assembly line construction and right hand drive and competetive pricing set the pattern for nearly everything else thereafter. A distant second choice would be the 1912 Cadillac for the self-starter (and its predecessors for the concept of parts interchangability), and a close third would be the Rolls-Royce 40/50 HP Ghost for craftsmanship.

Bill, that's a car I'd thought somehow would have been discussed before. No doubt, craftsmanship is a key consideration. Think what that alone did for the auto industry - not just the assembly line, but the parts interchangability of Cadillac and of course those early Rolls Royces. While living in Scotland I once had the pleasure of getting close to (and riding in) the second oldest rolls known - the famous 1905 three cylinder Rolls belonging at one time to the Royal Scottish Automobile Club. It was steady as a rock, whisper quiet and unbelievable smooth for such an early car. I was told the three cylinder configuration was "perfect." A couple of years ago I attempted to learn what ever became of that car and was told it was a matter under litigation. Seems the car was property of the Royal Scottish Automobile Club and given under the condition it never leave Scotland. When the RSAC became defunct it got tied up in a law suite the caretaker filed because he had put so much money and time into the vehicle, he felt he had a rightful claim to it. Details are fuzzy but the car seems to have simply vanished. I heard it may reside in the Museum of Transport in Glasgow but can't confirm. Would like to know where it is today.

post-30751-143138795038_thumb.jpeg

Guest Bill Miller

Terry,

Great story. I remember that several years ago a fellow named John Kennedy brought over a pre-Ghost Rolls-Royce from the UK to a mid-year RROC meet Daytona. It looked quite similar to the car in your photo and even had the hand-painting brushstrokes visible on the body. Kennedy gave anybody who asked a ride and drove it all over the place, even around the Daytona Speedway track (which had been arranged for all vehicles at the meet). I wonder if they ever got all the oil cleaned up off the track! What a fine old car.

Guest CorollaNut_69

Which car has sold the most worldwide? (I think over 30 million and growing) It didn't make the list, it started as one of the most basic, easy to own, easy to work on (though hardly ever needing work) cars ever produced. It cost just over a dollar a pound in 1968 here in the US (and at 725,000 + miles mine still gets 40-45 mpg!). But I would think if it has sold the most, it has affected the most people...everybody has had one or knows someone who has had.....the Corolla.

I don't know what criteria was used in making the list, but if I had to vote the list, I'd hafta go with the Vette...for sheer worldwide recognition....travel into the deepest jungle, show someone a picture, they will recognize the 58 Vette

Edited by CorollaNut_69 (see edit history)

I have seen arguments that the Corolla has been, as with the Honda Civic of 1972, a 'name' whereas the Beetle, T, Mini, and that most-produced vehicle on the plant, the Honda Cub, recognisably the same vehicle but developed. Of course the Chevy Impala has been running since 1958 on and off and the same point applies.

Maybe they sold the most because they were cheap and needed to be replaced more often? I once owned a Mini while living in Scotland and went back to the dealer to complain about the tires wearing out so quickly. His response: "Silly - they are smaller so they go around more often than bigger ones."

Criteria for this "contest" was as explained in the beginning - people were invited to enter so if we didn't get any Dusenburgs it was because nobody sent in a pic of their car. Doesn't matter anyway because it was all public choice and we all know how that works at some of our smaller local car shows.

Good fun was had by all and that's why we were there.

Terry

I respectfully understand what you guys say, but from this side of the Pond, it was the Mini that, after it went around the world, made mass motoring possible for the masses. Its competition success was legendary. The T did nothing for us, and possibly less for other countries including Canada. That said, the T did introduce the first concept of a peple's car.

The Mini meant the death knell in the UK for the motorcycle and sidecar, the bastion of the poor man's transport. It set the precedent fpor a whole new way of life.

That all said we non-American vehicle historians understand and respect what Henry achieved, and so plaudits are due both to both Henry Ford and Alex Issigonis for being visionairies.

Best wishes,

David

I was interested in watching a program where a current day family was supposed to live in a 1970's replica environment, where one day represented one year of the 1970's. Each morning, they got the new technology of that year.

I was interested in seeing this since my car is from 1976. However, I got really irritated with it early on, as they made everything very primitive. They claimed homes did not have indoor heat or telephones or many other items in the 1970's. I thought this was ridiculous because items such as these and many others were commonplace in the 1950's and even earlier. However, then I realized the show was based on the average home in England in the 1970's, not in the U.S.

So with that in mind it is not very surprising that it took until the Mini in England to accomplish what the Model T did here decades earlier. So just because the Mini had some features that current cars do, and Model T's did not, I do not think that makes it more of a "car of the century" than the Model T. After all, it had several decades to come up with the improvements.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Interestingly the first reference to a 'Mini Motor' that I know of was in a British weekly car magazine, in The Motor, 31 January 1939, being an idea mooted by the esteemed journo Laurence Pomeroy. At the time the UK industry was frightened to death at the prospects of subsidised (quote) 'flivver' exports from Germany of a car called the 'Volks Wagen'.

From my research paper on Opel imports into the UK:

. It was British concern that German export subsidies had gone far beyond the field of the individual industries concerned and that the Government would minutely regulate them. The flood of Opel cars into the U.K. in the spring was suggested to be but a taste of what was coming in other product lines. ‘Scouts’ were suggesting that there was no doubt that the Germans intended to export the new Volkswagen on a large scale. Observers were suggesting that these ‘flivver’ exports would amount to 50% of production if this was necessary in order to build up foreign exchange accounts for the purchase of raw materials abroad, and that consequently the German people would see less of their ‘People’s Car’ than the people of other countries! If this was true, then U.S. manufacturers would be equally concerned over the long-term trend of German competition:2 July 1938: Business Week magazine

Pomeroy suggested, to counter the Volkswagen:

...[what] he called ‘The Mini-motor’: a car smaller than the then ‘baby car’ and what we would call the ‘mini’ series. The claim was made that economic necessity might bring forward a smaller car than had been produce previously, not exceeding 6 h.p. when the Austin Seven 7 h.p. was the next step up from a motorcycle and sidecar.

Pomeroy stated that all over the world quantity-produced cars were sold on the basis of pence per pound: the easiest way to make cars lighter was to make them smaller. Reducing wheelbase and decreasing engine size would lower depreciation, improve fuel consumption and reduce taxation and insurance. Taking the then current 1939 Model cars, the 8 h.p. range would then cost 20% less than the 10 h.p., and the 10 h.p. range of cars then cost 15% than the 12 h.p. Pomeroy called for a new sub-8 h.p. car, a 6 h.p. which would sell for £90. ‘Such a reduction in price will alone ensure tremendous sales, for past experience shows clearly that price and volume are closely related.’ In 1929, the cheapest 10 h.p. car was priced at £189, and in 1936 £135, though the 1936 Model were nearly ten times that of the 1929 Model. Pomeroy took a leaf out of Nuffield’s book: he claimed that the British 6 h.p. car would ‘ensure the retention of our home and export market in small cars in the face of competition from the German Volkswagen, which will be put on the market next year’. The Volkswagen was stated to sell for just under RM1,000, which meant that if it was marketed in the U.K. at a sterling price comparing in price the same ratio to that of ‘another well-known German imported vehicle’ [i.e. Opel Kadett!], it would retail at a little over £100. Using the last known quoted Reichsmark/Sterling average rate of 12.17, the VW would have been on the market at the equivalent of £82.0.0. or so, and therefore the calculated figure of £100 would have included, as per Opels, import duty at 33 1/3%, shipping, profit margin, etc. and must therefore have involved a hefty subsidy: if the 1938 prices held sway in 1939, the Kadett actually sold at RM1,795, considerably more than the VW was intended to sell at. Although output of the Volkswagen would be initially absorbed by domestic demand, it was a potential competitor that had to be treated with considerable respect. The German Labour Front, the Volkswagen’s sponsors, had tremendous resources in money and brains, and the organisation was relieved entirely from both normal commercial anxieties in selling and from other overhead charges. Pomeroy believed that from the viewpoint of the British market and Britain’s export trade, the economic case for a British car of around 6 h.p. was clearly established. His ‘Mini-motor’ echoed Alec Issigonis’ Morris Mini-Minor and Austin Seven of 1959, although the engine of the 1939 ‘Mini’ would have a capacity of 600 c.c. as against the Austin-design A-series 850 c.c dating to 1955, and would have a power output of 18 b.h.p., practically the same power as a typical 8 h.p. car of 1935-36. However, the 1939 car would out-perform the earlier models because of lighter weight, etc.

I have to quote cases against me, to use a legal expression, and although a Car of the Century poll held by The Autocar, the world's longest-running motorong mag placed the Mini ahead of the T and Beetle, an international poll place the T first then the Mini and I think Citroen third.

• 3 years later...

Which car has sold the most worldwide? (I think over 30 million and growing) It didn't make the list, it started as one of the most basic, easy to own, easy to work on (though hardly ever needing work) cars ever produced. It cost just over a dollar a pound in 1968 here in the US (and at 725,000 + miles mine still gets 40-45 mpg!). But I would think if it has sold the most, it has affected the most people...everybody has had one or knows someone who has had.....the Corolla.

I don't know what criteria was used in making the list, but if I had to vote the list, I'd hafta go with the Vette...for sheer worldwide recognition....travel into the deepest jungle, show someone a picture, they will recognize the 58 Vette

The problem we have here is the Corolla name. Rear wheel drive, front wheel drive and a list of eleven generations that have nothing in common with each other except the name.

The beetle, on the other hand,  you could install a 1600 engine from a  2003 (last year of production Mexican Beetle) into a 1938 Beetle engine bay, in fact you could install a complete 1938 body on to a 2003 pan and chassis engine trans axle. Try that in a Corolla.

So VW beetle first and a Model T second.

FYI, We don't count VW beetles ( 1st and 2nd generation water cooled ) that are Front Wheel Drive . They are VW beetles only in name. Water cooled Beetles ( Audi's ) don't count. Dr. Porsche would be appalled at what has happened. 

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I nominate the Mercedes Benz 600.  In late 1963, it was a technological tour-de-force, and remained in production until 1981.  Mercedes Benz was manufacturing high quality cars in Europe concurrently, and produced a number of notable cars over the years besides the 600, which would include the 540K, 300SL Gullwing, along with several others.

The Ford Model T is definitely worthy of mention, as it changed the entire culture of America when it came to mobility.  Thirty years later, the government-of-the-day in Germany must have thought the concept behind the Model T was a good thing, and produced VW Beetle with the intention to make it affordable to every German until the war intervened.

Craig