Car You Drove to High School

jeff_a

Guest Jim_Edwards
Anybody here drive the same car to high school their Dad drove? We both drove the same 1930 Model A Ford Standard Coupe -- to the same high school! Hutchinson High, Class of '42....and '71. Go Salthawks!

No, my Dad was a motorcycle freak when in high school. Got thrown out of high school when he was in the 10th grade in 1928 for ridding his motorcycle through the main hall during classes. He never went back! Was not a cool move. Never heard an explanation for why he pulled that stunt, but I'm sure he caught hell from my Grand father, who owned the largest bank in town.

Jim

The Model A often was hard to start and Dad always had at least five friends riding in or on the car (mostly on the running boards) who would help push it to get it to start, in return for getting to ride six blocks to school. Once he admitted that a couple of times they pushed him all the way there. He knew there wasn't any gas in the tank, but didn't have the heart to tell them!

Edited by jeff_a
I had to go to Google maps to see how far it was to school. (see edit history)

Guest Jim_Edwards
Maybe he figured that, being the son of the owner of the biggest bank in town, he could get away with it!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Gil, I think it was more like a typical case of teenage stupids and having forgotten you didn't make the mistake of screwing around with my Grand Father who was a no nonsense pioneer type from what I understand. My Grand Father was a product of the Civil War era and passed away ten years before I was born. I have all of his guns and all appear to have been well used, which is to say he apparently lived a great part of his life in very rough times. There is no absence of very colorful family folklore dating back to the early 1700s and colonizing North Carolina. My Dad's escapade just added to that colorful folklore.

Jim

Guest THE ARS
No, my Dad was a motorcycle freak when in high school. Got thrown out of high school when he was in the 10th grade in 1928 for ridding his motorcycle through the main hall during classes. He never went back! Was not a cool move. Never heard an explanation for why he pulled that stunt, but I'm sure he caught hell from my Grand father, who owned the largest bank in town.

Jim

Sounds cool to me, I bet the ladies were chasing your Dad after that.:cool:

Tom

Sorry, I had a 1972 Nova, in 1989.

Didn't have a car until I got to college. I did occasionally have use of my parent's '66 Impala Sport Sedan in high school. Hated it then, but would love to have it now. It was the only new car my father ever had. He passed away in '73. In '74, my mother traded the Impala for a '74 Dodge Dart Custom sedan. The Impala had 82K on it then.

I didn't have a car until my senior year of college, and had to give up my drivers license (to avoid having to pay for car insurance & tuition at the same time) for the previous 3 years. My dad left high school on his 16th birthday, and finished college 2 years after I did.

Guest Oldengineer

I got fairly close I guess. My grandfather had a 32 Plymouth when my Dad was in high school. I drove a 1937 Dodge to school - when I could get it to run.

Regards:

Oldengineer

I graduated in 2000 and drove a 1982 Firebird that I bought for $350 and an engine for $350. Over my freshman summer I got the engine in and cleaned up what I could. I beat the crap out of that car lol.

I've owned about 20 cars since then and learned allot!

My first car had been my mothers and was then given to my older brother to take to college. When he went into the army in my sophomore year of high school I got the car; boy was I excited. It was a 1948 Dodge sedan and our high school didn't have a no car policy so I was able to drive it to school. My only complaint was I always wanted a convertible but for a teenager, a big sedan did have its advantages.

Guest carlnut50

I had to ride the bus to school so I figured why not drive it. So, my senior year I drove a 1953 Ford 6 cylinder bus. It was an overhead valve inline 6 with a glass bowl Holly carb. The state of North Carolina paid me one dollar per hour.

We were pretty financially strapped when I was in high school (64 grad). All my buddies had cars and besides I only lived a block from the high school. After graduation I bought my first set of wheels (56 Vette) for $1100.00, (OMG, that's less than I just paid for my T engine rebuild). Had three jobs, so it was out of necessity more than anything. Used it in college for two years and had a blast. Dropped a new 63, 375HP FI engine into it in the Summer of 65. Unfortunately the car was totalled a five months later. Sure wish I still had it.

My first car, at the age of 17, in 1983 was a Nissan Cherry (not sure what it was called in the US).

It had an 1100cc engine and 4 speed gearbox, in metallic blue. I thrashed that car mercilessly and it always came back for more. It would lift the inside rear wheel when cornering hard and my friends would remark on my 3 wheel cornering exploits.

27 years later, when I am sitting as a magistrate, I have some empathy with the young motorists that come before me.

Guest CarAdMan

Here's what I drove in 1965, my Dad's '32 Ford pickup (with a self portrait of me) and my first car, the one I drove in '65 -'66 (my senior year) a '59 Ford Custom with the 292 V8. In 1965 I paid $100 for the '59 on the back lot of Keller Ford in Oneida, New York.- RICK

post-59657-143138453951_thumb.jpg

post-59657-143138453954_thumb.jpg

Edited by CarAdMan (see edit history)

Guest De Soto Frank

"Anybody here drive the same car to high school their Dad drove?"

Don't I WISH !!! That would've been a 1930 Chevrolet standard coupe.

When I first got my license, if I had to drive to school for some reason, and my mother didn't need her car, I got to drive her orange 1974 VW Campmobile... which made me royally embarrased... ( too bad I didn't date then ! :rolleyes: )

My first very own set of wheels was my Senior year (1984-85), when I started driving my Grandad's 1954 Chevy 3/4 ton pick-up. Late the same year, I "upgraded" to a 1962 Ford Falcon Deluxe 4 dr that I had bought from a merit-badge counselor in Scouts, for the princely sum of $100. They knocked $50 of their asking price when I told them I really didn't want the shearling "sheepskin" seat cover... the poor beast had 189,000 miles on it at that time, and I put another 20 or 30 thousand on it before it got hit by a '77 Buick Regal.

I miss that old Falcon...

And am still hoping to get "Dad's Coupe" someday...

Here's what I drove in 1965, my Dad's '32 Ford pickup (with a self portrait of me) and my first car, the one I drove in '65 -'66 (my senior year) a '59 Ford Custom with the 292 V8. In 1965 I paid $100 for the '59 on the back lot of Keller Ford in Oneida, New York.- RICK

<LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>

79487d1298120411t-car-you-drove-high-school-32fordpickupdads.jpg

The truck you show is actually a 33-34 with the slanting back grille. Sorry to be picky.

I wish I had my Dads high school car. He had a 49 Merc coupe. Black. His dad gave it to him. It needed a trunk lid rear bumper and brakes. It got bumped from behind. Dad said he got all the parts from a Junkyard for 20.00. The trunklid was even black so he didn't have to paint it. The brakes he got off a car that was already flipped upside down in the yard. Too bad those days are gone. I wouldn't mind finiding another one for him. Anyone got one for sale?

Did not drive the same car my Dad did as his was a 1926 Model T roadster which he sold a long time ago. He is soon to be 87 and an antique car owner today and always said he wished he still had that 'T'.

Me on the other hand still have two of my High School cars and the picture is of the second taken a few years ago in Port Huron, Michigan at their restored local Gas Station they turned into a Tourist Information Office. This one is a 1958 Buick Special convertible. My other is a 1958 Buick Limited 2dr that Dad gave me in 1970. Drove both (at different times naturally) to school and because of limited parking got called down to the office when I somehow parked in the Vice principals spot (DDhooo!).

The Special is currently up on stands needing a complete brake job. I have all the parts but with no heat and recently getting hit with 12 inches of snow this Sunday will be waiting till spring to get back on the road.

Happy Motoring Everyone!

post-36036-143138460129_thumb.jpg

All three of my offspring have/ are driving Chevrolet S-10 pickups with a 4 cylinder engine so they can not go out racing crazy. The youngest even has a 5 speed manual.

Larry Schramm

Good for yoiu Larry! That is the exact reason I got Dad's Limited!!! He was not going to let me drive around like my buddy's in some hopped up Chevy and terrorize the neighbour hood!

The 58 Buick's in the early 70's were a bit old school for sure but I dared to be different then (as now according to my wife).

i drove the first car i ever owned.bought it with money i saved from mowing yards since i was seven.my first car was a 1930 chevy coupe and i still own it.i am the third owner.my dad help me get it running.it had been sitting for eleven years.we had it running in three weeks.went to sears and bought some tires for it.and started driving it to school.

Guest greg walsh

My first car was a 57 Ford four door automatic with a six cylinder that I bought off of my uncle for about $50 because he had put a new exhaust on it. That was back in 1966. Anyway I got T-boned on the way to school by some woman in a 63 Chevy and the insurance company totaled my car and gave me $300! Such a deal! Plus I got to get out of school for a day.

Those few times I was allowed to drive to school it was either in my folks' 66 Chevelle Malibu hardtop (230 6 cylinder powerglide) or their 74 Chevelle Malibu Classic coupe (350 2bbl THM 350). The 66 was on it's last legs and the 74 was brand new.

For my Junior Prom I took the 74, but for my SENIOR prom I took my brother's 74 Caprice coupe that was in some sort of lime green with a black vinyl roof. I was stylin'!

The week before graduation my folks got me a, get this, 75 Cosworth Vega. Hmmm.