Car You Drove to High School

jeff_a

• 1 year later...

Finally found the pictures and scanned them of My/Dad's '58 Buick Limited which I drove when I was 16. It's on the front lawn because after him driving it for just over two years, the U-joint broke Xmas day 1970. Sat there till spring when he offered it to me IF I would help him change the joint and pay for the new exhaust.

Sadly it is pretty far gone today but is a part source for another Limited I bought which is identical right down to the options (could be a twin). Can't be soon enough to get that out on the road but for now... (sigh).

post-36036-143139283956_thumb.jpg

Anybody here drive the same car to high school their Dad drove? We both drove the same 1930 Model A Ford Standard Coupe -- to the same high school! Hutchinson High, Class of '42....and '71. Go Salthawks!

How about the most cars driven to high school? In order, I started with a 1963 Corvair Monza, then a '62 VW Beetle, a '65 Pontiac LeMans and finally a '67 Dodge Dart.

I don't see how it could have very many responses at all. Did anyone read the question??

[h=2]Car You Drove to High School[/h]

Anybody here drive the same car to high school their Dad drove?

I only lived a block from High School so I didn't drive to school, but I drove my 49 Crosley Wagon when I was in High School. Still have it, I need to go through it again to get it back on the road. Bought it when I was 14 and then spent 2+ years rebuilding it mechanically, body off, frame striped bare rebuild. Got in a hurry once the body was back on to get it done and did a Western Auto rattle can paint job. Redid the mechanics in the mid 70s and found the same color rattle cans at Western Auto to freshen up the paint. :-)

'71 Super Beetle Convertible that my dad helped me purchase (color was L20D "Clementine"). I think I recall the purchase price being around $1,200 or so.

These pictures were from the summer of 1976, when I was 16 and working my summer job at the McDonald's on the west side of Meriden, CT (directly across the street, coincidentally, from the late great "Davella VW"--I still remember those brand-new '76 Bugs sitting in their lot...). This was the summer between my junior and senior year of high school...

post-34222-143139286482_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139286474_thumb.jpg

Cool VW. :cool: I always loved those Love Bug Movies as a kid. Dandy Dave!

I think I was subliminally influenced also, since my dad had driven '57, '61, and '63 model Bugs back in the day (I was born in '59). I have only the vaguest of recollections of the '63 (a red Convertible--very cool), but who knows, maybe the sound of that air-cooled flat four humming away in the back of the car somehow crept into my brain way before my ability to consciously recognize and store information...

Guest Sidney22

My father was a die hard Chrysler man. So, my first car and what I drove during high school was a 1963 Chrysler 300. I hated when it threw a rod and ruined the engine. I still miss that big thing! What an awesome car to drive. Wish I could find another!

I took the school bus. I attended a class on auto repair (Auto Shop) for two years, and we took care of the drivers ed cars. Four of us were snagged drag racing these cars out behind the school. They were '57 Chevys, one was a six/stick and the other a V8/auto. We just had to know which was faster for the first 200' ... and now I can't remember.

I graduated H.S. in 1972. In the fall of '71, I got a 1964-1/2 Mustang convertible for $700. British Racing Green with white interior, black top. No power anything. Floorboards were pretty well rusted, so I pop rivited some sheet metal in, along with some spray on undercoat. The previous owner had taken the 260 V8 out and put in a 302-2V. Had a 3 speed manual floor shift. When I went off to college, my dad ''took'' possession of the car, and ruined it. He bought me a '68 Mustang convertible (289-2V) to replace it, then the parents got divorced, and I didn't see the car for 10 years. When I finally got it back, it looked like it had been parked in the ocean for all 10 years. I sold it for junk. My dad didn't know crap about taking care of cars, and didn't care. I turned out just the opposite. Anyone who gets in my car(s) is instructed NOT to touch the paint, the glass, no eating, no drinking, and gods help you if you slam the door!

Edited by jay144 (see edit history)