Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow....

Dandy Dave

Guest Skyking

A relative of mine can't understand why I come south for the winter and get out of New England. I guarantee her attitude changes when I get back. They got another storm yesterday and more coming tomorrow. My nephew told me he feels like he's living in a snow globe. High 70's today, 80 tomorrow.........

I would never encourage anybody to move to Oregon, but it has been t-shirt weather here for at least a few hours every day this week.

I got my lawn mowed.

Even took the convertible for a spin.

We've had some mild weather most of winter across the river from you. There was a patch of frost on the roof of my car this morning.

I'm careful about encouraging anyone moving north to here. There are enough kooks in Portland. I wish there was a way to send them back.

• 3 weeks later...

Spring has been trying to come here but that Canadian Arctic air just keeps hammering us. Day time highs are suppose to be 45. Tomorrow is suppose to peek at 25 with an overnight low of 2. Reel feel of -11 . The 2 is good for a record if it happens. Old record was 4. I'm ready for a real spring thaw.

Returning from New Jersey for Dale's sister's funeral, we were in Fairfax, Virginia Friday night and awoke to serious flakes. Roads were relatively clear as we drove west on I-66 to Front Royal, and then south along I-81, but the ground was covered with a blanket of the white stuff until we were pretty far south. Thankfully there were no problems driving as we were in Dale's little Sebring convertible - the 4WD was at home in New Orleans.

• 10 months later...

Not much Snow to report here this year until now. It has been pretty much a snowless winter in this area. Looks like about three inches this morning. You folks south and east got way more than we have here just south of Albany, NY. The Buick Snow Master Super Shovel will ride again. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I've only plowed twice until today.  one 4 inch cement mess and a couple of inches just to keep the driveway from becoming a sheet of ice from the snow getting packed.  We got about another 1.5 to 2 today.  Thankfully that's just inches and not feet like last winter.    There has been more to the north and much further south as Dave mentioned.  Our coldest air of the season is set to come in this weekend as well with -12 predicted. I was enjoying the weather we were having after the last 2 brutal winters.  It's nice ot go to the shop and get work done that doesn't involve heating or snow removal everyday like last year. 

On January 23, the snow-deficient winter suddenly

corrected itself.  Many towns around this part of

Pennsylvania received 28, 32, 33 inches of snow.

I heard of 38 inches of snow in one town.   I measured

35 inches of level snow in my back yard from that

single snowfall:

Note that there were "only" 32 inches when the

pictures were taken alongside a 1965 Chevrolet yardstick.

post-91841-0-94126900-1455028165_thumb.j

post-91841-0-59867400-1455028234_thumb.j

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Another inch or two this morning. Wet and Heavy type. I pushed it off as it is suppose to get very cold this weekend and did not want the slush turning into ice. Ice makes it hard to maneuver on the hills around here. Dandy Dave! 

This year is the warmest winter I think we have had on record. With our coldest day of the year coming this Sat. at 3 F . Last week we had one day at 54 and have only had to plow my lane way out one time. Then all the snow was gone by the end of the week anyway. I may have to cut my grass in a week or two. LOL

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Yard stick, good thing to use in SNOW.

I remember in the 40's dad's Buick dealership had special yard sticks with their name on such, and holes to hold the valves,  that kept them in order.

Man oh man, that's a lot of SNOW.

Dale in Indy

Dale, I remember those yardsticks. I would like to have one today.

Ben

Dale, I remember those yardsticks. I would like to have one today.

Ben

They're all over eBay Ben. Just type in Yard Stick and Ford, Chevy, Buick, Whatever car you like.... Not expensive either. I typed in Yard stick, Holes, and even came up with ones from Auto Parts Distributors. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 1

I see ya shot that picture as the earth was sideways,  it does turn DOESN'T IT?

I remember as a young kid I picked up the yard stick FULL of valves, and pulled one out, dad YELLED, don't mix them up, leave them alone,   He had a way of getting points across, a weeping willow stitch was another way toooooooo!  Ouch,,,,

Dale in Indy

Well Dale. It started out upright. Something in the photo posting program on this site turned it side ways. May just as well be up side down with the Wind Chill Factor.  :P Dandy Dave! 

I see ya shot that picture as the earth was sideways,  it does turn DOESN'T IT?

I remember as a young kid I picked up the yard stick FULL of valves, and pulled one out, dad YELLED, don't mix them up, leave them alone,   He had a way of getting points across, a weeping willow stitch was another way toooooooo!  Ouch,,,,

Dale in Indy

Last fall I upgraded from dangerous to lethal.

post-89785-0-62334200-1456180811_thumb.j

Post #581, see the guy push the snow into the hedge? That's why I bought the tractor. They kept breaking the bottom branches of my blue spruce.

And it didn't snow until last week. Then I found out the 12 volt battery the previous owner had been using to start, it's a Fairbanks-Morse mag ignition, had pretty much porked the starter drive.

So tomorrow I pick up the rebuilt starter and put things back to 6 volt. And there are Daffy Dills sprouting under the tractor and snow drops coming up across the yard. I ain't gonna scoop nuthin with it this year.

I take full credit for the mild winter and on the way back from the city tomorrow maybe I'll stock up on something for a hot summer.

post-89785-0-40481700-1456181239_thumb.j

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

Fairbanks Morse Mags were common on Allis Chalmers Tractors and equipment Bernie. And yes. It should be a 6 Volt system on an Allis B. With all your years and wisdom I know you will get er back right. Tire chains will work wonders in the snow and Ice.  Speaking of lethal, don't take up driving her on side hills with the bucket all the way up. Let's say they become flops that way. ;) Dandy Dave!   

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Starting to brighten a little here in NE PA but still snowing. Tractor is about 100 yds away. I'm going to need my snow shoes to get up there. About 18" on ground but at least not too much wind......................Bob

• Like 1

Got to tell you: Snow shoes ain't what they are cracked up to be especially in 18-20" of powdery snow. My shoes are the real deal, steam bent ash, raw hide and leather and they are going back up on the wall over the fire place where they belong. Towards the end of the uphill mush I had to stop about every 20 feet of so to collect my self. I've got a fairly nice brute of a tractor, 4 X 4 diesel, good chains and locking differential. It struggled as much as I did with the snow shoes.

Finally got the drive way ( 800' long) open but not before taking out a section of 3 board horse fence. Then I dug the ladder out from under the garage eaves so I could get up and onto a 20 X 20 section roof and shovel that off.

Finally dig out the wood pile and carried in enough wood for the nite.

What A great day!

So how are you guys in Florida and Texas making out? Bet you're eating your hearts out with envy.......................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Got to tell you: Snow shoes ain't what they are cracked up to be especially in 18-20" of powdery snow. My shoes are the real deal, steam bent ash, raw hide and leather and they are going back up on the wall over the fire place where they belong. Towards the end of the uphill mush I had to stop about every 20 feet of so to collect my self. I've got a fairly nice brute of a tractor, 4 X 4 diesel, good chains and locking differential. It struggled as much as I did with the snow shoes.

Finally got the drive way ( 800' long) open but not before taking out a section of 3 board horse fence. Then I dug the ladder out from under the garage eaves so I could get up and onto a 20 X 20 section roof and shovel that off.

So how are you guys in Florida and Texas making out? Bet you're eating your hearts out with envy.......................Bob

That,s why I put the Back Hoe close to the porch when it is going to be like this Bob. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 1

Just now, Dandy Dave said:

That's why I put the Back Hoe close to the porch when it is going to be like this Bob. Dandy Dave! 

Haw Haw Haw! That's EXACTLY what my wife told me to do last night but I blew her off as being too soft. She was the first one out this AM to feed her horses. She almost got stuck walking to the barn. Every time she fell over the dogs thought she was playing and would play attack her. Pretty amusing to watch out the window while drinking my coffee.

Snow stopped about an hour ago. Pretty bright out and not much wind. The walks can wait to be shoveled until tomorrow.

It's beer-oclock................Stay safe..............Bob

• Like 1

We've got about 18 inches as of a couple of hours ago and it's still snowing here.  I didn't realize I only had a 1/4 of a tank of diesel in the tractor until I dug it out of the pile of stuff I had it buried under to work on the garage.  I usually wait until it's all over to plow but the wife was getting nervous it wouldn't stop and we would be stuck if I didn't plow at some point before it is all over.   I did manage to get the worst of it plowed out before I decided it was getting low enough to call it quits.  I jumped in the truck and went for another 5 gallons.  Fortunately within a mile we have 3 different stations with diesel.  The first one was out.  not a good start.  I figured they wouldn't all be.  

I hated putting the tractor back in the heated garage as it was covered with ice from all the snow melting on it while I was plowing.   Now I'll have a pond to deal with.   I'll finish it all tomorrow when it's finally pretty well over.

We definitely didn't need this.  Most of our snow was gone.  

I have to get the plans and info to the zoning guy by end of the day tomorrow to make the deadline for the April meeting to get my garage built.  I went right by his office yesterday but the architect didn't get the drainage plans to me until after I got home and all he had to do was email them.  (a bit frustrated with him) He showed them to me on Sunday morning, so he had them then.   Lets hope the roads are cleaned up and someone is in his office. 

The mountains are getting a lot of snow around here.

But in the valley it has been raining ALOT.

The news is full of mud slides and floods. Several hiways and railways closed due to landslides. Taking the train from Portland to Seattle requires a Greyhound today.

Not uncommon for me to not leave the place for days at a time.

So there is a flooded stretch of road closed near me that requires about a ten mile detour. There are many people driving around the barricades because they know better than the Sherriff.  These idiots are driving thru water deep enough that their cars are floating off the road and out into the fields. The Sherriff had to run chains fully across the road in an effort to close it. I guess that they are levying a huge fine to these bone heads because these people have to be plucked up by a helicopter.

With the deep water you can't see the cars that are under water from the barricade so they are stacking up.    Idiots !!

4 hours ago, JACK M said:

But in the valley it has been raining ALOT

Not uncommon for me to not leave the place for days at a time.

These idiots are driving thru water deep enough that their cars are floating off the road and out into the fields.

With the deep water you can't see the cars that are under water from the barricade so they are stacking up.    Idiots

Personally I'll take MY water in the variety that  can be  plowed or shoveled. All dug out here. Life largely back to normal.................Bob

Measured this morning and came up with 19 inches. But it is melting and settling all ready. What I moved with the "Buick Snow Master" was wet and heavy today as the sun came out this morning. Forget about moving it with a pickup and plow without beating on it. This kind of snow will separate the good reliable machines from the old and tired, or those built with low quality. Dandy Dave!  

We have a little over 36" here and I am tired of moving snow.  Snow blower, quad with plow, shoveling.  We are right above Scranton North of the mountain ridge if that is what you would call it and it dumped on us. I had at least another inch fall this afternoon while I was re-doing the driveway.

Was tired yesterday. Today exhausted!

Matt

Edited by jackofalltrades70 (see edit history)

Matt, Didn't want to press the like button so just wanted to say been there and done that in the ten years I ran a Chevy (Sorry, not a Buick). More than one 16 - 18 hour days of contract work when we got that kind of snow.

Not sure I could do it today.....

Everyone be safe out there.

• Like 1