Cars I shouldn't have sold

Guest Dave41

Do you have a list of cars that you should not have sold

Mine starts with a 1946 Chev "Woody Wagon" made in OZ from 1940 -46 identical to the USA model but only 3 doors, then there was a 1939 Chev Master Deluxe ute made on the sedan chassis, wood-grain dash , column change

Then a 1940 Buick 6 wheel equiped Century and a 1955 Sunbeam Talbot Alpine

The sad part is I was talked into selling then by a woman!!

How clever am I???

Every car I've sold went for what I wanted for it at the time, no real regrets. I've seen the restored 1912 AC threewheeler and wouldn't mind having it back. The ARCA two man race car was one I should have kept, found its history two years after I sold the remains. I really should have bought the Maserati A6GCS for $1,500, back in the 1970's along with a Ferrari Loso for $6,500, who knew were they were going to go at that time............Oh, the Ferarri Testa Rosa with sponson front fenders at $7,500, was another could have should have deal.

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Bob ...... We could do this all day long for weeks

I would say my T-head Mercer it were not for the fact that 35-O is a loving owner and drive of my old car. Whenever I get sad about the car I think of them driving and enjoying it.

I do wish Dick had somehow cheated death. AND we could have driven it together.

There are lots of good reasons to miss a car you once owned.

My 65 Safari ran real good when I sold it. I had used it to carry ladders ect. but no longer needed it when I got a pickup truck.

I sold it for $60 and was happy that I got the same amount that I had paid for it.

(the sound that you hear in the background is me banging my head against the wall)

Guest Skyking

The two cars I mostly regret getting rid of was a 1940 Ford 2dr sedan my cousin gave to me when he went in the service in 1963. The body was 100% rust free but not in running condition. I kept it for maybe a year and then sold it for $75.00. The other was a 1964 Malibu SS convertible. I bought that car in 1970 for $650.00 from a Volkswagon dealership. It was Honduras Maroon with a white interior and in perfect condition. Ohhh! I loved that car........ I gave it to my younger brother in '78. He kept it for quite a while and eventually sold it, which to this day regrets himself...............

OMG the list would be horrendous. Mostly I regret the 1971 Dodge Demon 340 clone that I put together for my wife. Actually she is the one who sold it so she could get her Packard, but still would that we still had that one.

So far, I have no regrets when it comes to selling a car.

I have only gotten rid of one car so far and I did not even sell it.

It was a parts donor car that I took all the parts I needed off of then gave it to a friend who took more parts off of it then scrapped the VERY rusty shell.

Guest mystarcollectorcar.com

61 Volvo 544-had the head done on the B-16 then put it back together.I solved some serious electrical problems via a long,painful process of trial and error.

My 16 year old mind couldn't solve the "set timing issue" so I sold the car for 300 bucks.It was a rock solid body for a 544 so the guy that bought it set the timing,it ran like a top and he drove it for years.

Guest DeSoto Frank

'50 Chevy Fleetline 4 dr

'48 International KB-2

'61 Plymouth Belvedere 4 dr

'51 Chevy 3/4 ton pick-up

( Unfortunately, I STILL have all the rest !!!!! )

Big block 1969 Dodge Coronet 500 hardtop with every option except an FM radio, black over turquoise with black vinyl buckets. It had some rust in the rear quarters, and I hadn't heard of mig welding yet. The a/c was so cold it would make fog like a dry ice machine! Sold it at the peak of the late 1980's muscle car boom for $2000 over what I paid for it, and have been sorry ever since.:(

I've owned quite a few cars and sold a lot too. There are 3 cars I am looking for that I sold and I want back. I sold them to help buy a house 14 years ago, I love my house but want these 2 back.

1966 Cadillac DeVille Cvt, White w/red factory buckets and a console! Factory cruise, stereo, pwr eveything but vent windows. The 1st car I bought myself was a 66 Cad Cvt for &70 (needed a trans) in 1978. Had this car for almost 14 years and the licence plate said "HAD1B4". It was stolen from the body shop and gone for 11 1/2 months then returned by my friendly Colo State Patrol officers in better condition than when it was taken. They got her running, in primer, many new parts for me! :)

1964 Olds Jetstar 88 Cvt - Blue/blue/blue. 330 Police interceptor, Owned this car for 20+ years. Took 1st drivers test in it, 1st wreck in it, took it to prom (no comment), drove it cross country many times oonce towing a 1962 Old 88 cvt, too many stories really.

1969 Pontiac Bonneville Brogham Cvt - Orig red w/black int. 428 3x2 SCREAMER! This car I also had for 18 years. Many stories, many miles! Oddly enough this is the very car that broke my back paralzing me ever since. I owned it for 6 days when my accident happened then I drove that car daily for 18 years after the accident!

58 MGA, $600

1969 Dodge Super Bee, $800

1955 Chevrolet 2 Dr Bel-Air HT, $600

1955 Chevrolet 2 Dr, pushed out into the street for the city to take

1957 Chevrolet 210 2 dr W/'59 Corvete 283 305 HP, $650

1948 Chevrolet 2Dr Fleetline I think, $10 to the junk yard and the fellow that was sent to pick it up drove it for years after!

All but the one I abandoned ran fine.

Should have kept them all.

Guest my3buicks

My 53 Buick 56R - I loved and miss that car, a couple others that I wish I hadn't parted with, 69 Electra 225 Conv, and a 57 Century.

post-30591-14313813064_thumb.jpg

Short list:

70 Skylark GS 455 Stage One

69 Hurst Olds 455

69 Cutlass Convertible

70 AAR 'Cuda 340 Six-pack

67 GTX 440

64 Galaxie 500 XL 390 4-speed

64 Olds Jetstar 88

55 Ford Fairlane Victoria

I didn't worry about value when I sold them (and they weren't worth much back then) but if I had a small warehouse to store them in my retirement plans would be quite different today!

Guest Skyking
JUST TO NAME A FEW........

1966 Chevrolet Impala

1968 Plymouth Fury III

1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible

1988 Ford Bronco II

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park

1995 Chevrolet Caprice

My mother had bought a '68 Plymouth Sport Fury off my uncle in '69 before he moved to California. It was a convertibe, Teal with Black interior. That was one of the prettiest cars I remember her having..............................

Edited by Skyking
added Sport (see edit history)

Guest 41_packard

'69 Camaro. We started a family so we traded it for a 4-dr Olds 88! What was I thinking? About the same time I could have had a '57 Chevy 2-dr hdtp, (low miles) from an estate my dad was handling, for $50......but I didn't have an extra $50, and he didn't want "that old thing sitting around!" Ohhhhhhh!

The list is posted on my office wall...with pictures...as a reminder:

1958 Morris convert

1960 Morris hardtop

1961 Bug-eye Sprite (sebring version)

1962 Falcon Delux

1964 Jag XKE (this one really disturbs me)

1967 Mustang convert

1983 RX7

Scuse me whilst I kick my own butt...again!

Around 1978 I had a 1966 Shelby Mustang GT 350 that had a great history but it was not much fun to drive. I sold it while I was living in So. California at the time, don't even ask how little money. I moved back to Wisconsin to work for Old Cars Weekly again about then and bought a spectacular 1966 Mustang GT fastback with the K-code hi-po, solid lifter 289V8 in it. That car was fantastic, an Emberglo fastback with a pony interior, ran super strong and had mid-30's miles on it and mostly original. I kept it a couple years before moving to Carlisle, PA to work for the Millers and hace missed it ever since. I've owned a couple red K-code fastbacks since but non have ever been the equal to that very special Emberglo fastback. Cruisin' the back roads of Wisconsin on the two or three days of nice weather up there. We always used to say in Iola, "If Summer comes on a Saturday this year, we can have a picnic."

Bob says "Cruisin the back roads of Wisconsin on the 2 or 3 days of Summer"

I was over there in Sept 2000 and 2005 cruising the roads with buddy Tom Starr and the weater was great

Dave , from the Land of OZ where the sun always shines

I had a 1950 Pontisc convertible. I was able to trace ownership back to the original owner. I actually had photos of the car when it was new. After 14 years I wanted to buy a 1960 Ford because my father had one when I was a kid. I couldn't afford two collector cars. The Pontiac had to go. I got a fair price for the car. As the Pontiac left on the car trailer, I knew I had made a mistake. I thought I could take that money and buy a 1960 Ford in nicer condition. Boy, was that an incorrect assumption! I'm still kicking myself for selling the car!

An all-original, unrestored 1968 Mustang 4-speed convertible with 390 V8, sold for $6000 in 1988. What a fool I was!

A 1963 Buick LeSabre 2-door sedan with factory stick shift on the column, no options, no power nothing. That 401 V-8 would get 22 mpg on the highway, and it would fly. Had to have been the only one like it in the world: heater delete, radio delete, manual steering, black beauty with about 30,000 act. miles. I think I sold it for $1500 in 1979.

A 1964 Dodge Polara 500 2-dr. hardtop with 383 V8, unrestored with original paint, bucket seats, console shift & working factory A/C, sold for $1000 in 1984. DUMB!

1955 Chrysler 500, a one-owner unrestored car when I got it in 1999 with less than 80,000 miles; got it running and let it slip through my fingers in 2002 (but I got my price for it then); will never again be able to afford one now!

1957 Buick Special 4-dr sedan with 22,000 miles in 1997. It was like driving a 2-year old 1957 Buick.

Another 1964 Dodge Polara 500 2-dr. hardtop, gold and ivory, with factory A/C. I got it from the original owner's estate with 42,000 miles. Repainted it and sold it in 1999 for $4000. I saw it for sale at Hershey last year for $22,000, in basically the same condition as when I sold it. Gorgeous car. I nearly cried when I saw it at Hershey. One of the most beautiful cars ever made by Chrysler Corporation, and I know the entire history of this one, it having been bought new in my home town.

Pete Phillips

Sherman, Texas