2017 national meet photos

Pete Phillips

I'll start a new thread here with photos of the meet. Only 15-20 Buicks here as of Tuesday afternoon, but the weather is nice and some vendors are already set up, so I need to get out there and shop as soon as I finish this.

The drive up from Texas was exactly 1,020 miles. Most I paid for gas was $2.19 today in NE Iowa; least I paid was $1.78 in southern Oklahoma. Took me 2-1/2 days driving by myself, so I took it easy. Looking forward to the rest of this wonderful week of Buick overload!

Pete Phillips

IMG_0884.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0883.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

• Like 9

Mr and Mrs Roger Mays met us at the 1st "oasis" in Illinois with their 1955 Special. My wife Joan and I with our 1937 Special caravanned with them the last 160 miles . Then we met Joe and Ann Suarez along the way with their Roadmaster wagon.DSCF6121.thumb.JPG.cfb8ecb669b662b118e2dfd657a419f9.JPG

Great Buick Day!

Larry

• Like 7

Barney Eaton and I went to the Wisconsin Auto Museum in Hartford, WI. yesterday, about an hour NW of the meet site. I highly recommend it! They have about 140 cars of all makes, but concentrating on ones made in Wisconsin. They have the largest collection of Kissels in the world (24 or 25 of them), which were made in Hartford, WI.  Outboard motors were also made there, so you will see many of those. They also have a lot of Nashes. It's a very, very nice museum.

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

• Like 3

Pete, Your pictures warmed my little heart. All those rear shots reminded me of my friend John Utz, long time editor of The Flying Lady Magazine. Shortly before he passed away, we had lunch in a little diner and ended up in his garage office going through his files, over 50 years worth. He had pictures and knew every chassis number. As he bought out more and more pictures he told me "Look, another grille! Everyone knows what the front looks like. I used to beg for rear shots of the cars. So few are ever taken."

That was a while back. It is fun to have my memory jogged. Great pictures.

I almost grabbed a flight out there Thursday morning. GRRRRRRRR.

Bernie

• Like 3

I tend to concur, Bernie, about "more grilles", but the grille and front end is "the face" of the car and is a primary brand identifier of the styling of the vehicle.   All "lines" flow from the front to the rear of the vehicle.  Some aspects of the vehicle's rear styling are brand-distinctive, too . . . which relates to reinforced brand identity.  But we know which end "Dagmars" always went on.

Thanks for the great pictures, Pete!  I hope that everybody work up with their Buick Batteries re-charged for another year, rested and fulfilled, glad you attended and have made reservations for next year (or will do so very soon!).  Everybody have a safe and enjoyable return trip home!

NTX5467 

• Like 2

Was back on Saturday.  Ran across two items of interest.  The first is a "Twin-Six" experimental engine.  What attracted me to it was a lack of valve covers.  Guess pollution was not a big worry when this baby was developed in 1915?  The other was the model car hauler -

100_2161.JPG

100_2162.JPG

100_2163.JPG

Trust you folk all enjoyed the Milwaukee environs, had a great meet and get home safely!

Edited by D Yaros (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Two unsung heros who keep the national meet on track, straightened out, and running smoothly: Roy and Michelle Faries spent nearly the entire meet in this room behind this computer equipment, making changes, responding to complaints, keeping score, printing out forms, and keeping track of all of the judging results. From the bottom of my heart, thanks to both of you.

Pete Phillips

2017 Meet Head Judge

IMG_1575.JPG

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, Pete Phillips said:

Two unsung heros who keep the national meet on track, straightened out, and running smoothly: Roy and Michelle Faries spent nearly the entire meet in this room behind this computer equipment, making changes, responding to complaints, keeping score, printing out forms, and keeping track of all of the judging results. From the bottom of my heart, thanks to both of you.

Pete Phillips

2017 Meet Head Judge

IMG_1575.JPG

THE BEST!!!!!!

• Like 9

Being only my third National Meet, I enjoy seeing the many years and condition Buick's at the shows. I'm glad we stayed for the Saturday Judging to see the many 400 point class cars too.

Thought this Wildcat was no slouch in that class (IMHO) but liked the humour in his magnetic sticker. 

IMG_1572.thumb.JPG.3438ce756b85c7a52d1a065d6f07508f.JPG

IMG_1573.thumb.JPG.96a4c55ca4ebb9b6268013511c17764c.JPG

• Like 5

While not the show, decided to make a trip to the Lake.

Started right downtown Milwaukee where they were holding their annual Summer Fest featuring Huey Lewis and man was it BUSY!

Headed north and there are many great overlooks to view the Lake till we came upon this beach area.

IMG_1576.thumb.JPG.60ccce0a7e561f58dba0fa21a4ec75e1.JPG

Looking south towards downtown Milwaukee.

IMG_1574.thumb.JPG.7a007584534d7370eee65bae4657fb40.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dei said:

Surprised and glad to see "RED" Special's there. (minus mine :()

Just wish I had been able to talk with the owners.

They are, well.... 'SPECIAL' to me. (groan) <_<

I was there on Friday and Saturday.  Looked for, but did not find you.

In terms of talking to Buick owners, I did and found them to be very approachable, friendly and all around decent folk.

• Like 4

Dave,

Please don't tell me you were standing there when what I presumed to be his son was telling about the tonneau cover not only snapping up to the dash letting the driver drive the car but then zipping up over the driver seat to leave the top down for the night?

PLUS... they had the original as a pattern to prove this not often known option?

I was the tall guy with the red backpack.

2 minutes ago, dei said:

Dave,

Please don't tell me you were standing there when what I presumed to be his son was telling about the tonneau cover not only snapping up to the dash letting the driver drive the car but then zipping up over the driver seat to leave the top down for the night?

PLUS... they had the original as a pattern to prove this not often known option?

I was the tall guy with the red backpack.

Ok, I won't tell you that, but in fact it was me!  So close, and yet so far?  

• Like 3