2017 national meet photos

Pete Phillips

WOW! 

That was the one thing about this event, so much to see, so many to catch up with (especially from the Forums) and didn't manage to see everyone. 

Still, a great fun time for me and my wife. (her first) :D

Will be planning on the Cleveland Meet so perhaps will get together then. 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, dei said:

WO:DW! 

Will be planning on the Cleveland Meet so perhaps will get together then. 

I would have to say the odds of that happening are not good.  As I presume you have figured out by now, I am not a Buick owner.  "Some men are Baptists…others Catholics…My father was  (and I am) an Oldsmobile man." 

I was there solely as a spectator who knows of and likes Buicks, who hobnobs with you Buick guys here and who knew that Nat was being held in my neighborhood.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D Yaros said:

I would have to say the odds of that happening are not good.  As I presume you have figured out by now, I am not a Buick owner.  "Some men are Baptists…others Catholics…My father was  (and I am) an Oldsmobile man." 

I was there solely as a spectator who knows of and likes Buicks, who hobnobs with you Buick guys here and who knew that Nat was being held in my neighborhood.  

All good Dave.

Loved your area, the Lake and the hospitality we had!

It's only an 8 hour drive to Detroit (across the river from me with the current road construction) and about another three hours to Cleveland so.... who knows given time? 

I have Oldsmobile's in my blood too growing up and driving Dad's '59 Olds 98 flat top, '64 Olds Dynamic 88 and mom's '65 Olds Delta 88.

You have good taste too. :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

It sounded much more awesome in person...

Heard it at the Old Car Festival held at Greenfield Village (The Henry Ford) two years ago (?).

You are right Brian! It is an awesome engine and piece of History given it's design and era it was developed! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dei said:

All good Dave.

Loved your area, the Lake and the hospitality we had!

Knowing full well your location the question of the day is:  Were you aware that you had to travel north to get to the Nat show site?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D Yaros said:

Knowing full well your location the question of the day is:  Were you aware that you had to travel north to get to the Nat show site?

Oh yes!

Tried to book a passage on the Express Boat to Milwaukee but left it too late....

Had hoped to avoid the Chicago loop around and freeway / toll roads but in the end it was all good in our 2009 Chrysler mini van which only has 30,000 miles and locally built.

Managed to get a parking spot close to our entry door Saturday night.

IMG_1611.thumb.JPG.0d283222686cdbb57499bde992ad1b80.JPG

No I did not touch the bumper of this beautiful car....

I'm sure he came out and said WT....

(I have too much respect for all vehicles for that)

Huey Lewis...sorry I missed that...would have brought back memories of 2003. 

Actually at one point my youngest asked which was my favourite National to date (at a meal just before we left home) so we reminisced about the ones we've been to. They've all been Special in their own right. Suzanne and the progeny are still taking part in the PWD after tour. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thriller said:

Huey Lewis...sorry I missed that...would have brought back memories of 2003. 

Actually at one point my youngest asked which was my favourite National to date (at a meal just before we left home) so we reminisced about the ones we've been to. They've all been Special in their own right. Suzanne and the progeny are still taking part in the PWD after tour. 

Sadly while we attended the 2003 Meet too did not sign up for the Huey Lewis show there either but still had a great time during that meet.

We actually heard about the Summer Fest and Huey Lewis show AFTER we were home that night on the local TV news plus we also found out why we were detoured off Greenfield too. Seems a train bridge over the road had derailed 20 coal cars which spilled some of the coal down on the road like 1/2 an hour before we came to it! No one was hurt by the reports but.... Thank Heavens for my GPS! 

Funny how when you are not in a hurry to be somewhere at a certain time the traffic is not as frustrating?!

Hope your family travel safe and admire your dedication to this "Buick Family" Derek.

At some point you must have been awarded a long distance Award right?

• Like 1

No long distance award to date. There's always someone driving from near the opposite coast to take that prize. If I ever take a bit more time and drive the 1941, longest pre-war may be a possibility. I'm not in the hobby for hardware...the house is messy enough without more stuff. 

• Like 4

Oh Ya, know exactly what you mean regarding the house (and my garage...).

Wished we could have met and had a chance to talk.

I'll bet you and your family were in the restaurant for breakfast while we were, just didn't feel right running up and staring at name tags with a plate of food. ha ha

• Like 1

Here is a rare late model car....1986 LeSabre GN owned by Allen Oldfield one of 117 made.

That 1933 Modified green sedan made to look like a sedan delivery with the gold leaf Marshal Fields name was outstanding. 

There were 30 Reattas registered but they were in 3 different classes..."R", U-3, and Driven so you never saw them all together....

lesabre GN.jpg

• Like 3

Here is a photo of Barton Close and Paul Marr (on the right) with the V-12 Experimental Touring.  It was nice to be able to visit with both of these guys and get to hear that beautiful engine just set there and tantalize a person.  I had the honor of rebuilding the valve cages in this engine for Paul.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P7080056.JPG

• Like 6

On 7/11/2017 at 4:55 PM, Barney Eaton said:

Here is a rare late model car....1986 LeSabre GN owned by Allen Oldfield one of 117 made.

Perhaps even more remarkable is that this 86 LeSabre is displayed with a fire extinguisher.  I was there on Saturday and can state as fact that I saw very few fire extinguishers. 

I guess our Oldsmobile cars must be a "hot commodity" as at our Nats virtually all were displayed with the requisite extinguisher?

Edited by D Yaros (see edit history)

4 hours ago, D Yaros said:

Perhaps even more remarkable is that this 86 LeSabre is displayed with a fire extinguisher.  I was there on Saturday and can state as fact that I saw very few fire extinguishers. 

I guess our Oldsmobile cars must be a "hot commodity" as at our Nats virtually all were displayed with the requisite extinguisher?

I judged the driven class. Every car I judged had a fire extinguisher...maybe not front and center as a wheel chock but there...no rules says it has to be prominently displayed...just so long as you have one...

Says the man  with experience needing one:

Edited by 38Buick 80C
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Smartin said:

We bought out the Sears next door of all fire extinguishers in minutes.

You all must have passed my wife in there that week. :lol:

Told her she should have worn her name tag.....

• Like 1