Velocity Channel Ruins Wheeler Dealers

1957Birdman

2 hours ago, poci1957 said:

They credit H.L. Mencken with the immortal quote that "...no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."  Certainly a truism in cable TV

H.L. Mencken, now there is a name you seldom hear anymore. His novel "The Girl from Red Lion" was based on a town maybe 4 miles from our shop, known for its ladies of easy virtue back in the day.

5 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Years ago he was approached by a production company with a new children's cartoon. He could have bought the rights to air the show for $25/week or he could have bought in to the production company in hopes of making a good profit. He turned the show down because in his professional opinion it had no chance of success. In his words it was some idiotic cartoon series about some teenagers with mutant turtle ninjas or some such foolishness,

Just for the record the creator of Teenage Mutant Turtles, has a fine Vintage car collection, many Vintage race cars as well, the two man INDY 500 Studebaker being my favorite.  Bob

3 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

H.L. Mencken, now there is a name you seldom hear anymore. His novel "The Girl from Red Lion" was based on a town maybe 4 miles from our shop, known for its ladies of easy virtue back in the day.

Interesting, never heard of the story and did not know about the reputation. A Google indicates it was a short story featured in the "New Yorker" in 1941 and the "Girl from Red Lion" had a boyfriend she feared would unfairly malign her reputation and ran away to Baltimore to save herself the shame. 

Edited by poci1957 (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Wheeler Dealers, Season 15 Ep 5, 1970 Scout, Ant refereed to the transfer case as a Dana 18! That is incorrect, it's a Dana 20, The Dana 18 has both output shafts on the passenger side, the Dana 20 has the rear shaft straight out in line with the transmission and the front shaft on the passenger side! For what it's worth!

I have only seen a few episodes of either Chasing CC or Wheeler Dealers.  Cable is another one of those services like Cell Phones and Internet service that is much higher in Canada than the U.S. so by not having it there is another $100.00 in the old car kitty each month.

My main objection to the vast majority of these shows is the emphasis on turning a profit from the old car hobby.  

To me it should be about the cars and preserving History, not about doing whatever it takes to make money.  I am personally careful to avoid car that will cost far in excess of their value but only because I don't have that much spare cash to begin with. However I never look at an old car with the thought of "flipping" it for a profit, rather to hopefully be in a cash neutral position should I some day sell it. Something I rarely do.

In my opinion the focus on profit does a great deal of harm to the hobby. And ultimately many of the cars themselves.

Greg in Canada 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Scout68676 said:

Wheeler Dealers, Season 15 Ep 5, 1970 Scout, Ant refereed to the transfer case as a Dana 18! That is incorrect, it's a Dana 20.......

I caught a similar technical error on another episode, maybe something about the Alfa but it was not too noticeable for most viewers.  Having weighed in last year I am compelled to say the change has not been too bad; I preferred Edd but Ant is OK with me.  They said last year that the technical filming was the point of contention with Edd but I have not noticed much difference in quality or quantity of the hands-on part of the episode.  Wheeler Dealers for me is not perfect but remains much better than the other "reality" car shows on cable, Todd C 

• Like 2

I watched the Alfa Romeo episode, seeing as how I own one. He disassembled the rear axle and differential. This type of thing should be interesting to some with a mix of general information and opinions and some mechanical repairs, though not a detailed complete engine rebuild. It is not meant to be fodder for those of you who insist on nitpicking and finding every little error. Obviously that is a serious sport for some.

Here is the vid on the Alfa Romeo - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6iwry4

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, mike6024 said:

It is not meant to be fodder for those of you who insist on nitpicking and finding every little error.

What a great idea for a reality show. Too bad Tony Curtis is not with us anymore he could host a British version "Yonder Lies The Cars of My Fodder."

I do a real good Gilbert Godfrey style "What's That?" when I tell my Wife about nit pickers on my car. my voice grates on her more than the nit pickers bother me.

I think the show is as good as ever, and continues to be one of the better ones on Velocity.  I enjoyed the Alpha, Scout, and Lancia episodes recently.  I always learn something each time I watch.  

• Like 1

As petty and mean-spirited as our country has become, I bet there would be a large, eager audience eager to watch TV hosts picking other peoples' cars apart. They just show up at car events with a film crew and go from car to car pointing out everything wrong with it and everything that's poorly done. Nobody's car would be safe and it would be fun to watch everyone scramble to leave when they saw the TV guys show up. It would kind of be the opposite of most car shows where nobody wants to be on TV.

• Like 4

a) I got tired of nit-picking other peoples cars and quit points judging. Now if I spot something wrong I just take the owner aside and mention. Most of the time they already knew.

b) Most judged event awards are used to increase the asking price.

c) My cars have always been "personalized". One car I got tired of the picking and offered a prize to anyone who could spot all of the changes. No-one could. Of course some involved the month and assembly plant.

d) Was surprised at the Lancia, seemed more like a resto-mod when they got done.

e) One I remember is the MGA with the Stewart-Warner gauges.

f) At least with the west coast cars they aren't doing repairs over rust.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, padgett said:

a) I got tired of nit-picking other peoples cars and quit points judging. Now if I spot something wrong I just take the owner aside and mention. Most of the time they already knew.

b) Most judged event awards are used to increase the asking price.

c) My cars have always been "personalized". One car I got tired of the picking and offered a prize to anyone who could spot all of the changes. No-one could. Of course some involved the month and assembly plant.

d) Was surprised at the Lancia, seemed more like a resto-mod when they got done.

e) One I remember is the MGA with the Stewart-Warner gauges.

f) At least with the west coast cars they aren't doing repairs over rust.

So far...

I am liking the new Wheeler Dealer. Maybe not quite as much as it was with Edd but just about every show has technical learning for me. I especially like the fact that it is one of the few auto shows that isn't completely full of bleeps and bad language. I can watch it with my grandson and not be embarrassed. 

I also miss Edd, but Ant is O.K.  Wheeler Dealers is, I think, the only automotive series that doesn't add drama via a some off-the-wall deadline.  I also enjoy the informational aspect of the show.  I still watch Wheeler Dealers, but miss Edd.  If Edd comes up with his own show, I'll surely watch it.

Cheers,

Grog

10 hours ago, capngrog said:

the only automotive series that doesn't add drama via a some off-the-wall deadline.

It is the formula.  The producers get it stuck in their head and it is hard to get them to change.

The 100 year old movie theme that is most common is the climax. Back in those teens and twenties movie days, when the foreign accent directors started cranking out movies, someone must have told them the importance of the climax. It had to be mistaken for "Climb, Max" Because very often, I point out to my Wife, "This must be the end. They are climbing." Buildings, water towers, oil tanks, even the Hollywood Hills sign, for a hundred years the final scenes have had someone climbing.

My Wife says it is not funny for me to say it so often. But it is way too predictable to be a coincidence. It is just one of those things one guy made a nickle doing and everyone else, needing a nickle, copied. Kind of like my Grandfather painting all the rusty cars and equipment red.

Think I'm kidding, pay attention to a few. There goes Max. He's climbing.

Bernie

Only difference is that 500 years ago the climax was in the middle and the rest was what resulted. Now it is at the end and any aftermath is in the credits..

Sounds like they need my Crossfire: first gear is so low it can go up the side of a wall.

ps Thelma and Louise.

I just started getting the Velocity channel a year or two ago, so I have probably watched an equal number of episodes with both Edd China and Ant Anstead.  I like them both!  Most importantly, they both demonstrated what they were doing and were not afraid to jump in there and take something apart for fear of not being able to put it back together!  I also like that before they sell the vehicle, they make a tally of how much $ the vehicle cost, how much $ they spent on parts, and how many hours it took to get it to saleable condition!  Did anyone ever figure out how much $ per hour Ant (or Edd) made on each vehicle?  It seems to me that a lot of times they are just about breaking even, realizing that Mike and Ant are still making a salary from the Velocity channel. 

While I occasionally watch FantomWorks, the host seems to be a jerk, but he does present a bill to the customers which is divulged to the audience.  Most of those owners will never get their $ back on their vehicles, but the family histories of the vehicles are more important than the price to get them repaired. 

I really like Iron Resurrection because they sell the vehicles for what seems to be realistic prices! 

Graveyard Carz seems to only restore cars to factory specs and I can only handle the antics of the owner for short bursts.  It seems to take forever for them to get anything done (it seems to take multiple episodes to install stickers and stripes correctly!). 

Bitchin' Rides is great but I'm guessing the owners of these cars must have to come in with blank checks!  The staff are truly experts at what they do. 

Overhaulin' and Garage Squad are also good, especially since they typically help out someone in need or someone that deserves it!  

The smartest person on Fast and Loud was Aaron Kaufmann - he left! 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 10:26 AM, 60FlatTop said:

It is the formula.  The producers get it stuck in their head and it is hard to get them to change.

Manufactured tension is the foundation of every (un)reality show on TV. Pretty much every episode of every automotive-themed "reality" show will have a point where the engine won't start, and they have to cut to commercial. Of course, as soon as we come back, the engine is running.  Ass Monkey Garage is the worst for this.  I thought these were supposed to be experienced car people. ?

• Like 1