Have you driven your classic today?

Dave@Moon

Doing a bit for the little ones is a lot of fun.

We have a 63 Mini that is painted a bit gaudy, but is just a really neat, basically stock little car. I had not attended car shows to actually "show" any of our cars more than once till we got this little car. It draws so many kids who want their picture taken with it that we try to take it even when we take another one or just go to hang out with the gang. It absolutely thrills the kids to walk over when they are getting their picture taken and ask if they would like to set in it and get a picture. The expressions are priceless ! Of course the parents beam too, but this is such a small thing to do that hurts absolutely nothing, it amazes us that more folks don't offer or suggest something as simple as this. Now, on the other hand, when given a ride, the kids are just tickled, but the most fun rider was a lady that wanted to ride in it and do some of the stuff "they did in the movies or rallys". After her ride, with me doing a couple of hand brake turns, then flying back the other way, she had to run to the bathroom laughing all the way. Sure was funny, and she immediately started working on her husband to get her one, ha ! As for the kids, though, give 'em a seat, a ride, a little explanatory tour about the car, something ! It is SO worth it !

Guest Old48Truck

You know what might make a great video? Show an old couple walking to an old car and climbing in. Then show the car going down the raod with them turning younger and reliving a ride in that car when they were young and carefree. I know that's a poor explanation, but do you get the idea?

How about an old guy at a car show looking at a vintage pickup. Then he's in that pickup as a younger man at the feed store or mill...

Period clothing, too.

Drove the '41 Cadillac to Toronto, Ontario to visit friends and family and to attend a car show at the GM headquarters in Oshawa. A flawless 900-mile performance by the Cadillac, cruising along the interstates at 60-65 MPH to get up there and back (about 300 miles each way) plus a few trips to the car show and to a family get-together. I'm just shocked how good that car is. Not a vibration, no noise aside from the wind through the cowl vent and windows, and if my calculations are correct, fairly close to 20 MPG overall. It always started, never stumbled, never even got hot, even while waiting in line to cross the border. I had 1941 Ohio plates on it, but carried a dealer plate just in case, but no issues crossing the border, although coming back the US guard asked if it was plated in Ohio and looked at the plate.

An excellent, excellent car. What a contrast to growing up when we expected to be stranded every time we went out in an old car (which is why my father gave up on them years ago). After the first 200 miles or so, I was able to relax and enjoy the journey, confident that the old girl would take care of me, and she did.

Wow!

Hello Matt,

So glad to hear the Caddy performed for you like she should! Back in the day my 58 Buick Limited (4 barrel) would give me about 19 MPG (Canadian) on the highway too, especially if I kept the pedal off the floor with that dynaflow.

[HTML](An excellent, excellent car. What a contrast to growing up when we  expected to be stranded every time we went out in an old car (which is why my father gave up on them years ago)

I grew up with old cars (Dad always bought 8 to 10 year old Buick's, Oldsmobile's) with about 70 to 80 thousand miles on them and religiously put another 50 thousand or so on them before retiring them so.... glad you experienced the Old school Engineering of dependability when quality came with the name.

In the mean time, how was that show in Oshawa?

I'm assuming you came up through Buffalo or Fort Erie to Toronto and GLAD you did not experience more issues at the Border! I'm in Windsor, Ontario and...... with having family in Michigan, go back and fourth often. Even with taking my antiques over for shows, it can be an experience.

HOWEVER..... this post is about what did you do with your classic right?

Today (Labour Day) I took the carb off the 28 Whippet, changed the choke cable setup on the side draft carb and went for a ride, filled the tank up with fresh gas (32 bucks Cdn @ 1.28/L) and enjoyed friendly waves from many. She creates a parade behind it but...... nice day!

post-36036-143139158478_thumb.jpg

Drove the '39 Buick to a Car and Truck show yesterday (Saturday) at Farmers Branch Historic Park. Park has old buildings and other structures from early 1900's, and is well maintained overall. Weather was very good and with the breeze we were very comfortable - but still better in the shade. The Buick received a "Show Favorite" plaque which we weere very pleased with. The show was very well run and well attended.

Today we are driving the Buick to Heath for an AACA (Texas Region) meeting and late lunch followed by a short car tour. Should be a great afternoon!

Friends are visiting the area from WI. In conversation the husband has some interest in old cars (all though more as cheap transportation) so we took the FarmOroad out for a short drive. I couldn't convince him to try driving it (no sycros scare a lot of people) but he was enthused and talking about possibly going to our National show next summer and wanted some reference links.

I think I need to send him some for sale ads when they are with in his general area just to keep tempting him :-)

Drove my '72 LTD to the Mount Washington Valley Antique Car Club show in North Conway, NH, yesterday. Not so nice at home but nice blue sky and sun shine there - about 50 miles away. Nice show, but a little smaller than it used to be. Complaint - why do people/clubs who put shows on think that oldies music blaring so loudly that you can't carry on a normal conversation is a good thing? If I had had to park near the DJ and speakers, I would not have stayed.

Well I just got home and found this thread so you might be interested in this South Australian Chrysler Restorers trip of 9 days over 970 miles including 670 miles of dirt roads and some of those were along dry stony creek beds (I wish I could post pics), and others down to first to climb steep hills.

We took the following oldies; my 29 Dodge D.A. ute towing my teardrop, A 35 Dodge ute towing a 'cub camper', a 36 Chrysler C6 sedan towing a small trailer, a 47 Fargo truck with tarp on frame for sleeping in, a 52 Fargo ute towing a 'cub camper', a 58 Dodge 108 panel towing an Aussie WW2 army traiel and a 1966 V.C.Valiant sedan.

Troubles included my 2 split rims and faulty starter (i had a spare), 1 broken trailer spring which we repaired for the ladies by lashing a tree branch between the axle and the traier body, 1 headlight surround fell off the Valiant, 1 windsceen wiper failure on the 52 and 2 flat tires on a 4x4 and a twice broken axle on his caravan.

We had to carry 10 gallons of fuel for the long stretches where we couldn't get any.

This was a camping trip in the 'great outdoors' Google maps Arkaroola South australia to get an idea of the remoteness of this area.

Some of this scenery is to die for.

Beetles

Another exhilerating pre-dawn commute this morning in the gnarly '69 Bug Convertible, and wow, I could've used some gloves! But the windbreaker and wool cap did well.

I can't say I'm unhappy about the return of cool nights lately here in Southern Connecticut--definitely works for me...

I checked the odometer this morning and it appaers I've put 834 total miles on the car this year, from when I first really started driving it, back around the end of July. Still not running totally great--but a heck of a lot better than when I started...

Image below: Creeky at The Creek (Stony Creek Village), Saturday afternoon, September 1, 2012.

post-34222-143139168021_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve (see edit history)

Drove the '31 yesterday to the diner and back....all went well. Later went to put the car in the garage and the accelerator spring got hung up on the choke cable and it revved really high. I shut it off immediately, but all of a sudden smoke arose from under the dashboard. I disconnected the battery. That big red wire under the dash that goes to the ammeter is really big now....and kinda toasty looking. Looks like I gotta save up for a call to "Y N Z's" or "Rhode Island Wiring". Please PM me with your experiences with either place. Thanks. John

post-37352-143139169481_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139170858_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139170866_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Odometer check upon pulling into the work parking lot this morning shows that I've crossed the 1,000-miles mark for useful driving in the Creeky '69 Bug so far (1002 miles to be exact)...

Steadily warming mornings thru this week have negated (for now) the need for gloves (though windbreaker and wool cap protocol is still in effect)...

Onward and upward...

...and Happy Friday!

Drove the 25 Buick downtown to farmers market, to breakfast, to some yard sales then out for a country drive About 10 miles round trip. Still finding things to deal with. Overheating issue is being minimized since there was hardly a pump shaft or overflow drip till we returned home. Motometer showed normal driving temp. Still having an oil slinging problem. Not from fan hub since there are now sealed bearings installed. Looks like I will need to take care of the front pully seal on the timing cover. Belt is oil soaked and fan is slipping. Now that the engine had a chance to actually get hot the oil pressure dropped to 10lbs. Charge is still good. Only inconvience was with the top down and the car traveling at the blinding speed of 45 mph, the folded top, even strapped down to my home made top rests wants to act as a parachute. Had to stop to refold top and tighten the straps. Of course one strap broke.

Larry

post-79073-143139172491_thumb.jpg

Took a nice 100+ mile drive in the F1 today. Went to a gathering of the Tin Can Tourist. They were having an open house so we could go in an examine a bunch of antique campers from fully restored to just cleaned up after pulling from the barn. Great way to spend the afternoon and met some nice people that really enjoy sharing their hobby. Several were pulled with vintage vehicles.

Guest 4 bufords

drove my 62 invicta convert to bennington,vt today for the annual car show/ swap meet,had a great time visiting with friends and pawing through lots of stuff. cars were nice too.this year was 46th year and i have been to about 18 of them.4 bufords from ct

Guest 37Packard

I put about 12 miles on the Packard this afternoon. I took it for a spin down the interstate (cruising at 60-65 mph) to pick up some food at Arby's for the wife and I for dinner. I'm having "major surgery" on my right hand on Monday so that means I won't be driving an old car with a manual transmission and no power steering for 2-4 weeks.... :(

Not exactly today, since I just got back yesterday from almost two weeks of touring. A week ago Thursday I drove the one-lung Cadillac 100 miles from Dearborn to Lansing, Michigan. The next day I drove it 100 miles back. Cracked a fuel line (some fellows fixed me up with a modern flexible gas line - thanks!), and ended up with the exhaust stack held up with baling wire, but the car made it, by golly! Saturday and Sunday I chugged it around the Old Car Festival at The Henry Ford. Last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I put about 300 miles on the '13 Ford at the Snappers frosty north of Traverse City, Michigan. Beautiful touring country! Now I'm plumb tuckered out.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

I heard about some possible rain from the weatherman today, so I opted to drive my modern car to work--and probably tomorrow as well. I noted 1,103 miles driven so far as of yesterday in the Creeky '69 Bug.

Planning on dragging the '70 Bug out on Wednesday, though, to drive up to the Big E (Weds. 9/19 is Connecticut day at the E). God-willing, we'll be in the 5pm parade around the fairgrounds with it, along with any & all other old cars who are signed up to participate. Recently rebuilt engine for the '70 is looking, sounding, and driving wonderfully...

post-34222-14313917477_thumb.jpg

Fun time at 'The E' yesterday, aided by a great-running '70 Bug (in honor of the car's model year I drove 70 mph all the way up and back--har har--but seriously the car did not miss a beat, with 4 people aboard no less--I was talking on my cell phone the whole way too--JUST KIDDING!), and magnificent weather. Couple of pictures are attached--including of a few other cool old vehicles (including some great antique tractors) visible here and there around the Fairgrounds. Thanks to CVR-AACA, of which we are members, for making this opportunity possible.

post-34222-143139179813_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139179824_thumb.jpg

post-34222-14313917983_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139179838_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139179846_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139179855_thumb.jpg

Edited by stock_steve
To space the photo thumbnails out a bit. (see edit history)

Nice drive to work and back on a gorgeous day yesterday (9/21/2012) with the sweet-running '70 Bug. Staples stop at the Branford (CT) store on Route 1, and then back home again...

post-34222-143139182517_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139182525_thumb.jpg

post-34222-143139182535_thumb.jpg

Not too happy seeing leaves on the ground. We had a very windy overnight a couple of nights ago that knocked down a lot of leaves and branches, but I guess it's still a sign of the early fall season...

And that's our old collie Roxy coming out to see me.

Last weekend our 1937 Roadmaster 80C was awarded her HPOF ORIGINAL recognition at the Canyon, Texas Meet. Time to get back to driving.

We put about 300+ miles on the 1937 Roadmaster convertible sedan this weekend.

The Slidell Chapter of Louisiana Region - AACA hosted a weekend Tour in Columbia, Mississippi, about 110 miles north of our home near New Orleans.

We hit the road at about 7:00 AM Friday, driving the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway and LA-21, crossing through mandeville, Covington, Waldheim, Bush, Bogalusa, Varnado and Angie. Soon we crossed over into Mississippi onto MS-35 which lead us toward Columbia where we met up with 105 people from all over Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, and even Joanna Cooper from Broken Arrow, Oklahoma who arrived with her daughter in a beautiful 1956 Oldsmobile Holiday 88.

Friday's tour was in Downtown Columbia, including several local merchants such as Hill Hardware - we felt as though we were stepping back several decades. Dinner was Pizza, beverages, and Ice Cream, and was enhanced by conversation with long-time friends and some new ones as well.

Saturday, after breakfast the group visited the Hobby Honey Farm of Mr. Wesley and learned a lot about Bees and Beekeeping. We then drove winding, hilly two-lane roads, stopping to view Red Bluff, an erosion feature which looks like Mississippi's miniature Grand Canyon - andf then continuing on to Monticello for lunch at the Baptist Church and a visit to the local museum and the boardwalk along the Pearl River. The drive back to Columbia was equally enjoyable as we kept the top down on the Buick.

Saturday evening's banquet featured bee keeper Mr. Wesley who regaled us with tales of his youth, and of his experiences as a Mississippi State Trooper - he said his Patrol Cars included Buicks, Mercurys, and a very "hopped-up" Dodge - sounds like Broderick Crawford on Highway Patrol.

Sunday's weather was just as pretty as the past two days and we drove home in time to donate blood at our congregation's quarterly blood drive, and to pick up our grandson from Sunday School.

post-54863-143139185027_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143139185029_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth
spelling (see edit history)

Took my 1928 Whippet out today to attend an Open House at our Windsor International Airport with about 20 other cars. It was a full day to promote the recent building of a new repair facility for some of the biggest planes flying today. All new, high tech and able to manufacture parts/repair on site that otherwise might not be able to be shipped on time or are completely obsolete.

There was even one of the last two flying Lancaster Bombers that came in and allowed the public to board and see what they used in WW2.

Great Day! Great weather!

Pictures to follow (after I locate my usb cable for the camera).

Doug

Drove my 41 Cadillac to WallMart to pick up a pizza. Then back home to drag out my 57 Chevy that has not seen daylight since 2003. Hosed off all the spiders, aired up the tires and drove it around the house.. Dang insurance company wants pictures of it. NO WAY I was oing to take pictures of it back in the corner covered with 10 years of dust. Pretty cool that after some pre-checks it started--- must have done the right pre-storage stuff back then! Even the brakes work fine. Then headed out in the 65 Cadillac to check out my buddies 50 Chevy pickup he just got back from the paint shop. Today after NASCAR the plan is to work on the 1922 American laFrance.

Took in a fun VW enthusiasts' gathering/informal car show at the Montesi Volkswagen dealership in North Haven, CT this past Saturday (9/29/2012), with the '70 Bug. Slightly cool and overcast, and even drove thru some drizzle getting there (top down all the way though!). Thanks to the friendly folks at Montesi VW (www.montesivolkswagen.com) for the wonderful hospitality, and also the CT VW Association enthusiast group for organizing (www.ctvwa.org).

post-34222-143139194909_thumb.jpg

Yup, that's our AACA "MAP" program badge on the front, mounted just above the license plate...

Edited by stock_steve
grammar (see edit history)

OOHHKKK,

So my son has helped.........?

Here is one pic of the Whippet and the Lancaster in the background.........

It flew in from Hamilton, Ontario and the public was able to board and see (smell) what it was like.

A REALLY GREAT DAY!

Doug

post-36036-14313919862_thumb.jpg

OOHHKKK,

So my son has helped.........?

Here is one pic of the Whippet and the Lancaster in the background.........

It flew in from Hamilton, Ontario and the public was able to board and see (smell) what it was like.

A REALLY GREAT DAY!

Doug

Wow, super kool! That's a great picture, and the Whippet sure is a beauty!

I think I see a WWII Volkswagen "Kubelwagen" right under the front of the awesome "Lancaster" airplane, too!

Good job Doug & Doug's son!

Guest namvetschrysler

No didn't drive the Chrysler, can't, as work is in progress but while waiting for another BB1 Carby to arrive (replacing the one i dropped) i fitted a B model ford carby and got her going, even with this carby she ran like a top but not sure how it would go on the road.

Wow, super kool! That's a great picture, and the Whippet sure is a beauty!

I think I see a WWII Volkswagen "Kubelwagen" right under the front of the awesome "Lancaster" airplane, too!

Good job Doug & Doug's son!

Thanks for the comments!

A couple of things;

1- Yes that is a Kubelwagen (pronounced Koobelvaugen) that my fellow Club member purchased a year age to go with his Willys Jeep! They both have mounted guns (non operational of course but period correct) and along with his other car collection enjoys the Military auto connection and Planes.

2- re: the Lancaster Bomber - We here in Windsor, Ontario had one on a pedestal (up off the grounds since the late 60's and while complete, was deteriorating from the elements (kinda like cars behind the garage thing). A group was formed and the Lancaster was taken down, found a home at our Airport and is undergoing a physical restoration in the hopes (money willing) that some day it too might see the air once again. You think car restoration is expensive?????? Truly a great bunch of dedicated people!

To bring this back to "Have you driven your classic today?".......

This past weekend being our Canadian Thanksgiving, with family coming into town for the first time in four years, brought the Whippet home to polish her up to take it over to Dad's for the afternoon. Wouldn't you know it started to sprinkle on the way there and as it was cool (my relatives have been living in the South), no one wanted to go out and go for a ride. That was OK as I enjoyed taking the back residential roads after dark to her garage. That jeweled light really does light up the dash!

Need to check the mileage with what it was last year when Dad changed ownership to me. I have a feeling it has seen more this year than in the last 5 ........

Doug

BCA# 35039

post-36036-14313920936_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143139209386_thumb.jpg

WOW!

While not my car (sigh)........ my fellow Car Club member offered me one of his cars for a Fall Colour Tour today. IT is his 1966 Lincoln 4dr Convertible! What a road car!

Watched it roll over 80,000 miles on the odometer about lunch time. For a 5400lb car it will never beat a tuned Mustang off the line but....

found myself left behind at a light and after getting out of town at 30mph and not seeing the rest of the group in sight, pushed down the pedal about halfway and next thing I know, had to back off as the speedometer was reading 80 very quickly! A real thrill in such a big car!

Ended the day back at his home just before it started to rain again and with driving about 130 miles it ended up costing 53 bucks to refuel her @ $1.32 per L. I know... converting litres to US gallons.......

How ever you calculate it, JUST A GREAT RIDE FOR THE MONEY!

Thanks Joe for the opportunity!

Doug

BCA# 35039

post-36036-143139214064_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143139214034_thumb.jpg

Drove my 55 sunliner to a mostly hotrod show today.

I did my semi-annual "I couldn't go the Hershey this year" trip to a local cruise @ the Big Boytoday. Out of about 400 attendees I saw a couple of really nice cars ('58 Eldorado Brougham, mint '63 Avanti & '69 Mach 1 428), but mostly it was a rat-rod convention. The two MG's and I (Triumph) were not among the treasured guests.:o:D

Even though it's kinda overcast and gray this morning here in Southern Connecticut, I am still thinking it'd be fun to make at least a quick run (possibly with my gnarly '69 Bug Convertible) out to the East Haven Police Department Local's 4th Annual Car Show at EH High School. They had postponed it from last Sunday due to the weather, and so today is the "rain date," and from a broadcast email I received yesterday from an EHPD rep connected with the show, the event is indeed "on" for today!