Survey about younger audiences in the Classic Car Community

Cman640

Dear Classic Car Enthusiasts,

I need your valuable input to understand and enhance the engagement of younger individuals in the classic car community. As part of a senior project, I am conducting a survey to explore how younger generations are involved with classic cars and what can be done to encourage more participation.

Your perspective is incredibly important, especially if you have observed or interacted with younger enthusiasts in the community. By sharing your experiences and insights, you will help me identify trends, challenges, and opportunities that can drive positive change.

Survey Details:

• Time to Complete: Approximately 5-10 minutes
  • Confidentiality: All personal details like Email, Name, and Age are completely optional.

Please fill out the survey here:

https://forms.gle/vBJBbEwwUa8PhBnq8

-Please let me know if you have any questions

Define Classic car community - do you mean the luxury cars built from the late teens until just Post WWII era? Do you mean the 55-57 Chevys, Mustangs, GTO, Dodge chargers of post war? The words classic car has became a very very broad term to describe anything any car.

• Like 5

I would highly recommend not clicking the OP survey link, especially since OP is new and the link could be a click bait or portal to potential scams, etc. 

If OP is serious about surveying/studying this subject, all answers can be found already on this forum or could be asked directly here without a need for outside link(s). 
Just think people.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I second Walt's comment. The word "Classic" has come to mean absolutely nothing...it can be anything from a 68 Buick to a coach built 29 Rolls-Royce.

Needless to say, you aren't going to find many people under 25 collecting or working on the luxury cars of the 20s and 30s. The cost alone would preclude 99% of them. Which is not to say there isn't an interest in them but I don't see how that is possible to measure from a general survey. It would be good to give us more background details on yourself and what you are trying to discern. The members of this forum are always happy to help a younger enthusiast but we are constantly assailed by scams and most here are very wary about what they will share with someone unknown to them.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Define Classic car community - do you mean the luxury cars built from the late teens until just Post WWII era? Do you mean the 55-57 Chevys, Mustangs, GTO, Dodge chargers of post war? The words classic car has became a very very broad term to describe anything any car.

Great point, I intentionally left it a bit broad to encompass a wide range of sub-communities and cars. For my project, I am trying to gather a large base of people. But as a general rule personally I would consider anything Pre '80s/ Oil crisis a classic at this point of time. That being said the car I am restoring for the project is a post-war 1940's MG TC.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

I reported it.

16 minutes ago, TTR said:

I would highly recommend not clicking the OP survey link, especially since OP is new and the link could be a click bait or portal to potential scams, etc. 

If OP is serious about surveying/studying this subject, all answers can be found already on this forum or could be asked directly here without a need for outside link(s). 
Just think people.

Your concerns are valid as I am new to this community. I will say that the emails are not recorded by the form and the personal information questions are completely optional. I am a senior in high school researching the classic car community as I restore a 1940's Mg TC. Your responses will be used to gather data about involvement and hopefully to create younger engagement opportunities in my community in GA. If you are still uncomfortable about the form please by all means do not fill out the form.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, JV Puleo said:

I second Walt's comment. The word "Classic" has come to mean absolutely nothing...it can be anything from a 68 Buick to a coach built 29 Rolls-Royce.

Needless to say, you aren't going to find many people under 25 collecting or working on the luxury cars of the 20s and 30s. The cost alone would preclude 99% of them. Which is not to say there isn't an interest in them but I don't see how that is possible to measure from a general survey. It would be good to give us more background details on yourself and what you are trying to discern. The members of this forum are always happy to help a younger enthusiast but we are constantly assailed by scams and most here are very wary about what they will share with someone unknown to them.

Yeah, I guess I should have definitely added more information about my senior project. I am currently going to get my grandfathers 1940's MG TC running again. However, I am required to serve my community with my project so I will be hopefully creating young enthusiast initiatives in my local car shows. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

In the past any outside surveys required AACA headquarter approval.  Did you get the appproval?

I was unaware of this rule. Where/ who do I contact to get approval for my survey?

6 minutes ago, Cman640 said:

I was unaware of this rule. Where/ who do I contact to get approval for my survey?

A website administrator will get back soon.  

• Like 2

Cman640, I applaud your efforts. Please be aware that as a worldwide forum we get our share of scammers on here requesting all sorts of silly things. If your mission is legit (and at this point I have no reason to believe it is not) then great. One of the things we constantly hear in the 'old car community' is "We need to get young people involved". The responses so far are not very favorable and I can surely see it as not being very friendly. I am not sure if there is a student membership in the AACA but you should look into a membership. Even if you have to pay the full ride its worthwhile just for the magazine and perhaps in the long run you will get more out of it than you can think of. 

Good luck with your MG restoration, and again if your are a member (or not as its not required to participate in the forum) you will find a very helpful community during your restoration.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Welcome, Mr. Cman.  I was happy to 

answer your survey, though I did not

provide personal information such as

age and e-mail address.  In past years,

other students have occasionally posted

similar surveys on this forum--maybe from

the same school as yours?

I assure you that most old-car fans are

welcoming to younger enthusiasts.  The

chary comments you see here are due mostly

to caution, not to unfriendliness.  Anyone

would welcome students to attend and participate

in car shows!

• Like 4

Funny, we complain about the lack of young people getting involved in the hobby.  Then an interested high school kid comes on the forum doing research (that most of us would probably be interested in), and he gets the 3rd degree, hostile-toned interrogation by some members.  Way to go!  "Gee,why aren't more young people involved with the old cars?"  Ha ha

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jeff Deringer said:

Funny, we complain about the lack of young people getting involved in the hobby.  Then an interested high school kid comes on the forum doing research (that most of us would probably be interested in), and he gets the 3rd degree, hostile-toned interrogation by some members.  Way to go!  "Gee,why aren't more young people involved with the old cars?"  Ha ha

I reported it.

So, years ago we requested that forum members stop using the survey option that was available on our software.  There were too many problems associated with it.  However, I believe I speak for the club that we certainly hope that those so inclined will help this young man out as he has clarified what he is doing.  We are all for high school students getting involved in the hobby and this young man is doing it in his education  as well as wanting to get his hands dirty.  Bravo.  I personally will now go to his survey and probably skew the heck out of the results! :) 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

So, years ago we requested that forum members stop using the survey option that was available on our software.  There were too many problems associated with it.  However, I believe I speak for the club that we certainly hope that those so inclined will help this young man out as he has clarified what he is doing.  We are all for high school students getting involved in the hobby and this young man is doing it in his education  as well as wanting to get his hands dirty.  Bravo.  I personally will now got to his survey and probably skew the heck out of the results! :) 

Thank you, Steve.  C640man is good to go.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Cman640 said:

Great point, I intentionally left it a bit broad to encompass a wide range of sub-communities and cars. For my project, I am trying to gather a large base of people. But as a general rule personally I would consider anything Pre '80s/ Oil crisis a classic at this point of time. That being said the car I am restoring for the project is a post-war 1940's MG TC.

Oh well, that dumps me out. 1997 Buick Riviera. 
Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀

(from Down Under)

• Like 2

I read the survey and it seems straight forward. I'd have filled it out if my observations had any value but I haven't attended a car show in years and none in my area show any promise of being of interest to me. I should add though that I bought my first serious antique car, a 1927 Cadillac, when I was 19 and before I was 25 had several more, including a 1910 REO and a 1929 Rolls Royce. This was all done on a very limited budget. I do not come from a well to do family and received little or no encouragement from my parents. This was fifty years ago but I assure you it was considered VERY unusual then, certainly as unusual as it would be today. The constant "doom & gloom" prognostications about the demise of the antique car hobby are, to me, greatly exaggerated. Interest, like knowledge, is something that grows over time. Discounting the influence of fad and fashion I think serious interest will persist in a  small portion of the population...but it was always a small portion. One of the failings of all collectors is that most of their friends share the same interests and thus give the false impression that everyone does. For my entire life I've been surrounded by people who considered my interests as, at best, eccentric...at worst, outright crazy.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, erichill said:

Caution aside I completed your survey. Saw you mentioned you are in Georgia. Where abouts if don't mind me asking. 

Thank you, I can assure you that Google Form is a secure connection between you and Google and the personal information is completely optional. As for my location, I am doing the project for Fellowship Christian as a Capstone project. I hope to take the MG to the show in Roswell Canton Street oct the 12th. 

18 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Completed.

FWIW, there is a decent sized car show next weekend in my area that is organized, operated by and judged by the local High School kids. Its called something like Cars for the Kids. 

If you want to email me the details at Carson.wallace.75@gmail.com I'd love to attend.

9 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I read the survey and it seems straight forward. I'd have filled it out if my observations had any value but I haven't attended a car show in years and none in my area show any promise of being of interest to me. I should add though that I bought my first serious antique car, a 1927 Cadillac, when I was 19 and before I was 25 had several more, including a 1910 REO and a 1929 Rolls Royce. This was all done on a very limited budget. I do not come from a well to do family and received little or no encouragement from my parents. This was fifty years ago but I assure you it was considered VERY unusual then, certainly as unusual as it would be today. The constant "doom & gloom" prognostications about the demise of the antique car hobby are, to me, greatly exaggerated. Interest, like knowledge, is something that grows over time. Discounting the influence of fad and fashion I think serious interest will persist in a  small portion of the population...but it was always a small portion. One of the failings of all collectors is that most of their friends share the same interests and thus give the false impression that everyone does. For my entire life I've been surrounded by people who considered my interests as, at best, eccentric...at worst, outright crazy.

Thank you for your response I might reach out to you later about a possible contact to the community.

13 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I answered. All of the negative reactions above could have been easily avoided by simply looking at the survey. 

THANK YOU, I tried to emphasize that all personal information was strictly optional but I guess I didn't do it well enough.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

And I'm anxious to see more of the MGTC.

Here's ours.

Terry

20230912_142838.jpg.99ed05f3d3cb98babbac6e79d794c877.jpg

WOW looks great. My grandfather restored the one I'm working on and won a ton of shows, but unfortunately, It has been sitting. I'd love to get into contact and possibly have you as a community contact for my project.

Thank you to everyone who filled out the form. I did receive some pushback but this forum was by far the most welcomingI was told, "Obviously he has nothing to contribute here on MGExperiance" on a different forum. I will probably leave the form up over the weekend and share the results (minus name, ages, and emails of course) next Monday.

Thank you to the admins who supported this post it means a lot.

I can't wait to get more involved in the community as I work on this project.

• Like 2

Cman640…

Have you scrolled around the AACA home page?  Therein is the AACA History, Library & Research Center, AACA Rules & Regs, all sorts of info.  So much more than the forum General arena.

Peter

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I answered. All of the negative reactions above could have been easily avoided by simply looking at the survey. 

I would like to point out a essential flaw in this statement.

I have well over 35 yrs of computer support/ IT / IT security under my belt, one can not be any to overly careful/cautious when it comes to randomly clicking/opening on random strangers links or putting in personal information that can be used for not so good things to the right actor.

There are a lot of scammers out there looking for easy marks, they tend to use "social Engineering" methods which are designed to gain enough trust that you are willing to hand them personal info that they can use to gain access to identity, logons, passwords or bank accounts.

Makes it difficult to weed out the bad guys from the good guys and sometimes you end up tossing the good guys in the process.

When someone that just signs up and with first post gives a link, I do treat that with caution/care and will wait for others to chime in for a while before responding or looking at a link.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1