Is a non-running studebaker commander 1955 worth 3500?

Glad to see you are still looking. This car sounds like it has been 'street rodded' at some point. I have no idea on value. But some things that will affect it are the condition of the body, the interior, if all of the trim is there, glass etc. Obviously the motor has been changed. If youre wanting original you should be able to find a more correct power plant.

3 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Studebakers did come with SBCs in the 60s. I think they were only 283s.

They even had Studebaker scripted valve covers.

Yes, 1965-66 I believe.

• Like 3

The engines used by Studebaker in 1965/66 were not sourced from GM. They came from McKinnon Industries which was a supplier of industrial engines.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, dictator27 said:

The engines used by Studebaker in 1965/66 were not sourced from GM. They came from McKinnon Industries which was a supplier of industrial engines.

Yes, a Canadian engine supplier using GM designed 230 6 cyl and  283 small block V8s.

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Is a non-running studebaker commander 1955 worth 3500?

I've never seen an original '53 or newer Studebaker regardless of body style or wheelbase that didn't have rust. Most of them significant, some less so.   ...and I'm here on the salt-free, relatively dry west coast. You may be in for a serious cosmetic, if not structural  restoration. Parts are getting harder to find.

Good Luck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reynard said:

I've never seen an original '53 or newer Studebaker regardless of body style or wheelbase that didn't have rust. Most of them significant, some less so.   ...and I'm here on the salt-free, relatively dry west coast. You may be in for a serious cosmetic, if not structural  restoration. Parts are getting harder to find.

Good Luck

Yes and no regarding rust. I live on the WC too and have 11 rust free Studebakers in my collection. But some I've owned since the early 60's. All cars in the 50's rusted. At least Studebaker was still body on frame and rust could be handled easily with a wrench rather then a torch. This forum is apt to be a bit tough on street rodded cars. Regardless $3500 is not that much money. Is it worth it? Who really knows? Are you ready to do some work on the car, because you know you will have to? If you put some sweat equity into the project and a little money you shouldn't loose much. As an old friend once told me "If you have an itch you have to scratch it." I can't really guess at how bad your itch is, but you keep coming back to this car so....

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2024 at 4:36 PM, dictator27 said:

McKinnon Industries is a GM engine plant in St. Catherines Ontario Canada. They supplied Chevrolet engines for the Oshawa Ontario assembly plant as well as the SAME engines painted black for Studebaker Canada. Here's a picture of my old 1966 Studebaker with the 194 c.i. inline 6 that also was installed in Chevy Nova, Chevelle,  GM Acadian and Beaumont, etc. 

66stude 016.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 10:17 AM, myerstowner said:

Only one way to know for sure and it doesn’t involve or require opinions of random strangers on any internet forum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

As an old friend once told me "If you have an itch you have to scratch it." I can't really guess at how bad your itch is, but you keep coming back to this car so....

If you are taking the time to ask a bunch of people their opinions just move along. There is another car coming along that will sweep you off your feet.

17 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I live on the WC

The WC? That one got a double take out of me. I know I would have remembered that second use of the initials if I had ever seen it.

• Haha 1

In the Studebaker world, a sbc 350 is not unusual to find, nor a fatal detriment. We need to know a lot more. 

Also post pictures here and on studebakerdriversclub.com and the answers will be a lot more helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 1:17 PM, myerstowner said:

Nope.

It could be if the body was NOS perfect! $3500 is cheap for no rust repair and repaint needed for ANY car. 

Pictures?

• Like 1

You are waiting too long. I would guess that you really don't want it. Endorphins don't flow for over 20 days. And that is the only motivation I have found to get the cars I really want to keep.

Pass and move on. Something better is coming.