"Not Mine" for high rollers only?

What's happened to this forum lately? We used to see (recently) lots of offerings under $10k, but now we're looking at more and more cars at $20 to $50k and higher. Maybe fun to see, but way over market for most of us normal people. Nothing wrong with big-buck cars, but if you're looking for a driver (or near-driver) that you can afford to rehabilitate over time, these glowing examples of mechanical perfection are way out of bounds. Drivers of most every make and model are out there and being advertised. There's also lots of junk that can be skipped. Why can't there be at least an even mix of asking prices, low, intermediate,high, and ridiculous? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, 7th Son said:

Why can't there be at least an even mix of asking prices, low, intermediate,high, and ridiculous? 

We all welcome you to scan CL. Facebook and any local ads that you are aware of and post cars of interest and cars that meet your criteria so that we can all enjoy them! 🤗

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, 7th Son said:

What's happened to this forum lately? We used to see (recently) lots of offerings under $10k, but now we're looking at more and more cars at $20 to $50k and higher. Maybe fun to see, but way over market for most of us normal people. Nothing wrong with big-buck cars, but if you're looking for a driver (or near-driver) that you can afford to rehabilitate over time, these glowing examples of mechanical perfection are way out of bounds. Drivers of most every make and model are out there and being advertised. There's also lots of junk that can be skipped. Why can't there be at least an even mix of asking prices, low, intermediate,high, and ridiculous? 

I'd love to find low that isn't also junk. Hard to find anything good under 20k that isn't 3000 miles away.

• Like 2

Your observation is correct, finding cars at least on Craigslist in reasonably decent condition for under $10K has become increasing more difficult in the last year or so.  Whether it's because sellers think that folks are more affluent or as an influence of general inflation or both or some other factor is moot.  It was easiest to find decent cars under $10K when the pandemic was raging, not that we want to experience that ever again.

• Like 3

I'm a cheapskate that was buying 1,500 to 2,500 dollar cars during the mid '70's until the 1990's, It's very hard for me to reconcile today's asking prices with what I've been comfortable with. However too many cars on sites like CL are just ridiculously priced for what they are. Sellers of rough cars are asking between 10-20K for junk. I see rough '60's Rivieras selling for 10k plus, while fairly nice ones are asking 25K. Then I see a real nice '68 for sale from a Las Vegas dealer for 22K. That car looks to be a good deal and worth the price. Asking prices have no relationship to condition, every seller with a rough barn find, thinks that it's worth 20K. Some are, most aren't.

I still find rough project cars, some not too bad for less than 2,500 dollars, but you'd better be ready to jump on them. Right now there is a '55 Buick and a '57 Oldsmobile, both two door hardtops, for sale for 2,000 for both. They are pretty complete but have been sitting for a long time. Maybe not restoration candidates, but would make cool mild customs. Check out SF Bay CL, there is also a '60 four door hardtop Olds that the seller claims runs, and the price is now down to 1,500 bucks. It had been sitting at 2,500 for several years. 

One of the problems with unreasonable pricing is that it scares off potential buyers. On the other hand, a good car in good shape, with a new interior, rebuilt engine and trans is going to cost you.  That blue, '54 Caddy sedan listed above, is an example of that. It's nice and you couldn't restore one to that level for the 22,000 that they are asking. Plus you can enjoy it NOW, that's important for us old guys! And you know that a rough, cheap car, though they can be fun, and refurbished quite a bit, will never be brought up to a show car level. 

I'm now accepting the fact that a decent car will run me between 10-15 grand at minimum, and will be more satisfying overall. It's not like I haven't spent thousands of bucks fixing up cars in the past. I should know better, but I'd love either that '55 Buick or that '57 Olds or preferably both! A grand apiece, and maybe the seller will take less! 

• Like 2

Blame it on the internet. A layer of anonymity coupled with no cost or low cost ads. Then add the most human aspect=greed. Yes a large majority of old cars are far overpriced. Top that off with Classic Car Auctions with over hyped cars, semi drunk rich guys trying to be the big shot and a few chandelier bidders and you end up where we are today.

Everybody thinks their Mop N' Glo beater is Mecum or B-J quality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

After all look what happened to E Bay motors.  Ads sit for months without a bid.  Starting bids of $5000 are not uncommon.  Even for complete junk.

eBay motors have many 10K to 20K cars listed.

Trouble is they are listed for 100K to 200K.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I have seen this trend and it's a little disappointing.  However there are maybe are a small handful of members that actually post the bulk of the ads and of that there 2 or maybe 3 that stand out.  I am not going name names hats off to them as their contributions are very much appreciated!  If it were not for these contributors this probably would be half of what it is today.  My point is that this is a forum with a general description and direction of what it's all about and it's up to the members to keep it going. We are all free to post old car ads of our liking at any price.  

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I post a few not mine ads from time to time.  Generally I find interesting cars while searching for cars I might buy.  If I intend to buy I obviously don’t post.  But what I’m searching for influences what I find (and post).  There are thousands of less expensive cars on Craigslist and Facebook but I’m not chasing those.  I expect that this applies to most of the not mine posters.  I really appreciate the efforts of those regular not mine posters.  So far I’ve bought a car from a not mine post and someone bought a not mine car that I posted!

• Like 4

I agree that  finding good value for the money old cars has become much harder. Lots of them that sit on CL or Marketplace for months and months. Way overpriced, looking for a sucker ?

And the decently priced ones seem to sell in a blink. At least around here. I already have a couple of good projects, but I am  always keeping an eye on what's out there in my area as well. Very short list of cars I would like. But all of them are quite scarce.

Morgan +4 or 4/4, almost anything TVR 1958 - 1976, Peerless GT 1957-1962, Anything Lola, Elva or Lotus prior to 1962. 1965-66 Mustang GT coupe.

Loads of parts I am looking for. Nearly all are available new but at what I consider to be eye watering prices. I keep looking for reasonably priced , second hand, second or even third rate condition, but I never find. I guess that is why people have tooled up to make new ones. Everyone looking comes up against the same dead end regarding used examples. But man, you really have to desperately need the part. A perfect car that needs that one part to be mobile again, not a project car that has many needs.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

My searches are generally pre- mid 50's. I do see some cars that are sub $10K but in general, I don't find them interesting. 

Here's an example...Model A listed for $5K

00707_7hfPyUmBY0j_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

• Haha 2

Ah the ever-present "Prices These Days" complaint... or was it "Kids These Days"? No matter, it's all the same.

Let's look at this a bit differently. When times are hard, prices are low because no one can afford anything extra and the demand for toys is down.

And when times are good, yes now we can afford a few extras (namely TOYS) but guess what? Now those toys are more expensive because people can finally afford them and the demand is up. 

What's that expression... something about having your cake and eating it too or something or other?

And deals DO come up on CL every day, but if you dick around and wait for an even better deal, it'll be gone and you'll complain that it Happened Too Fast.

I.e., ya snooze, ye loose. Chop chop

Edited by Skidplate (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Skidplate said:

Ah the ever-present "Prices These Days" complaint... or was it "Kids These Days"? No matter, it's all the same.

You could also look at it this way...

I bought a new Chevelle with a 4-speed, V-8 ,bucket seats, and lots of other options in 1964 for $3,113. out the door. In 1972, I bought a Ford F-100 Ranger (full sized, top of the line) pickup for $4100. Today, the economists say those amounts are equivalent to $30,581. and $30,100. respectively. The average cost of a new car today is $48,250. The published average price of a new pickup is over $60,000. That tells me we are being charged $20,000 to $30,000. over the inflation rate of the last 60 to 70 years.

My folks bought a modest California tract home in 1946 for $12,000. That is equivalent to $189,000. today. Zillow says it could be marketed today, maintained, but virtually unchanged in nearly 80 years, for $1,200,000. That's $1,011,000. above and beyond. the inflation rate of the last 80 years.

I sold my '50 Ford that I drove in high school for $150. in 1960 and felt good about it. That's equivalent to $1,550. today. When was the last time you saw a good running, clean, rust free '50 Ford with nice paint, interior and tires for $1,500? More like $15,000. or more, right?

I think most the observations in this thread are basically correct in agreeing prices have far out distanced inflation (and normal incomes). Few can afford to restore a project car even if it were given to them. Most goods and services take a higher percentage of your income than they ever have. Food, housing, education, entertainment - everything.

Don't get me started on education. I attended a private high school in the '50's, but lived at home, for a tuition charge $200. per academic year. Today's tuition is an absolutely astounding $27,000. per year. I later graduated from a state university with a B.S. paying $45. per semester. Today they charge $5,700. per academic year for in-state residents. My kids, never having attended exclusive colleges, will be paying back student loans for most of their working lives.

Almost makes me happy I'm on my way out instead of in.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I'll give you that 90% of every woe that this country has, would be solved by a far better educate public. No Child Left Behind was probably the worst educational mistake ever made. 

But an old guy once told me, a friend of mine who was much older and wiser than I... he said. "Stand on any busy street corner and look at the condition of the cars passing through. See how many are new and how many are old and need repair. And look at how many tractor/trailers pass through and in what condition they are in. Look at the various Company Trucks and see if they are new or newer or barely rolling through. That will tell you far more about the state of the economy than any economist can."

So then, what does YOUR street corner tell YOU?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 4:50 PM, 7th Son said:

You have nothing for sale in this post and I find this complaint a little strange. 

On this page of 40 listings, 18 are under $10,000. Yes, I have posted listings here that I find interesting or of good value but there is NO way to dictate what cars are available at any given time. I have to note some truly grievously priced listings are posted for amusement or to show hideous restoration practices but that is for fun.

My interest is in prewar vehicles and I do not expect to find complete running vehicles under $10,000. If there were only  1960 or newer vehicles in your price range I would not follow this link. 

Be grateful for those who take the time and effort to post a vehicle here and am sorry that there is nothing that suits your interest or price range.

Maybe you should consult with the moderators to add a different category that you are interested in.

The original post asks: "Why can't there be at least an even mix of asking prices, low, intermediate, high, and ridiculous?"   Some will interpret this as a complaint; some will see it as an attempt to influence future content of the site; and etc., etc., etc.    Each person is different and each will have their own opinion of what the 'poster' meant and their own unique reaction to it based on that opinion.   To me, I think the answer is fairly simple, but, it took more than three years of observation and participation on this thread in the forum to reach my conclusion (ok I'm slow).  The answer: this is the Antique Automobile Club of America forum.  Many on this forum are very knowledgeable about one or more car marques.  In general, they prefer their cars to be as close to original as possible.  Non-OEM modifications, enhancements, do-dads, etc. are frowned upon and simple things like continental kits and fuzzy dice appear to drive some members crazy.  However, I happen to like hearing everyone's opinion, as I learn immensely.  But, back to the answer to the question.   Many of the 'low' price cars available have already been "messed with" (i.e. modifications, enhancements, etc.).   If someone posts one of these, forum members highlight the deviations - some with finesse and some with fervor.  As a 'poster,' it doesn't take long to find yourself deciding not to post a low car because of the easily anticipated forum reaction.  My point is, what we see here cannot help but be influenced by how we react to what is being posted here.  It costs hard-earned money to maintain highly original and well-maintained cars and owners do not see the other highly modified cars out there as an apples-to-apples comparison.  So, should we be surprised to see that we 'err' on the side of posting better than average cars?  I don't think so.  As other replies have pointed out, we are all free to post whatever interests us, but, our collective reactions will either reinforce or dissuade whether a person posts again.   Long live this forum :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skidplate said:

Ok, I'll give you that 90% of every woe that this country has, would be solved by a far better educate public. No Child Left Behind was probably the worst educational mistake ever made. 

But an old guy once told me, a friend of mine who was much older and wiser than I... he said. "Stand on any busy street corner and look at the condition of the cars passing through. See how many are new and how many are old and need repair. And look at how many tractor/trailers pass through and in what condition they are in. Look at the various Company Trucks and see if they are new or newer or barely rolling through. That will tell you far more about the state of the economy than any economist can."

So then, what does YOUR street corner tell YOU?

Just North of you , here in Canada we have an education system that is at least somewhat better than in the U.S. according to every survey and ranking I have seen. We are typically ranked in #4 spot , following #1 Denmark, then Finland then Japan. The U.S. often barely cracks the top 10.

But here in Canada incomes are on average 10% or more, less than a apples to apples comparison with the U.S. And taxes combined with cost of living is quite a bit higher.

Unfortunately better education does not necessarily translate to a better standard of living.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 4:50 PM, 7th Son said:

We used to see (recently) lots of offerings under $10k, but now we're looking at more and more cars at $20 to $50k and higher. Maybe fun to see, but way over market for most of us normal people. Nothing wrong with big-buck cars, but if you're looking for a driver (or near-driver) that you can afford to rehabilitate over time, these glowing examples of mechanical perfection are way out of bounds.

1 hour ago, jukejunkie1015 said:

...I find this complaint a little strange. 

My post was an observation and a comment on the times as much as anything. There have been numerous posts in other AACA forum sections commenting (complaining, if you will) on the escalating prices of automotive service, as well additional other services, parts, paint, tires, upholstery, "supply chain" problems, shipping, and so forth. Prices are higher, pricing many of us out of the market. Younger people, even if they had any automotive interest, still would need tools and a space for their projects. An ever-increasing number of families live in rented apartments that provide no facility for working on projects, even if one could be afforded .

I offer no solution. The causes and the current situation are more obvious. (foresight vs. hindsight) I agree, post what ever rings your bell. Laughs, head shaking and tongue clicking aside, this is my favorite forum section. The comments of both the old guard and the brave newbies are always interesting and, for the most part, informative. No need or reason for change, Just sit back and...

2 hours ago, Skidplate said:

..."That will tell you far more about the state of the economy than any economist can."

• Like 1

My read on the "not mine" postings is that they are more for curiosity, gawking, and observing seller psychology than for being intended to actually help folks find cars or for establishing fair market value for that matter... Therefore the most interesting ones are oddballs that may be expensive (justified or not), or overpriced "I know what I have" junk.  When a car is a curiosity for what a deal it is, let's hope someone here can grab it, but that's not the usual situation.

• Like 2

I post cars that are interesting to me.   I don't pay any attention to what the price is.   My intention isn't to help the seller find a buyer, or a buyer to find a car but to talk about a car that is interesting.

• Like 11

I only look at pre war cars……and I see lots of stuff that is reasonable or under the money from what I would expect. That said, you need to pull the trigger in ten seconds, not ten days. And you need to be willing to gamble a bit. When I was young and broke, I couldn’t gamble…….now with some disposable income, my desire for more cars is cooling off. Having been in the pre war world so long, I get lots of calls and e-mails before cars are offered publicly……and that helps a bunch. I think the availability and affordability of most pre 1970 automobiles is going to astound people over the next decade. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

Over the last few years $20,000 has become the new $10,000 and $50,000 has become the new $25,000. There are lots of reasons that this happened. But demand and inflation are the big ones.

Sorry, but in my neck of the woods, $1,500 has become the new $15,000. What I used to sell for around $2000 in past years, people are asking many multiples for today. Unless you are thinking of brass or really early cars, which I don't follow, I don't see much in the way of deflation - despite the aging and thinning of current owners. '60's through '80's appear strong, followed by '40's and then '30's. Most '90's have not reached their peak and many of them may be of little interest to collectors anyway.

I admit high-buck car prices of the recent past - not including the ridiculous auction offerings that the elite play with - may be in decline, but so has disposable income for most of us in the 99% as living expenses climb.

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

I only look at pre war cars……and I see lots of stuff that is reasonable or under the money from what I would expect. That said, you need to pull the trigger in ten seconds, not ten days. And you need to be willing to gamble a bit. When I was young and broke, I couldn’t gamble…….now with some disposable income, my desire for more cars is cooling off. Having been in the pre war world so long, I get lots of calls and e-mails before cars are offered publicly……and that helps a bunch. I think the availability and affordability of most pre 1970 automobiles is going to astound people over the next decade. 

Astound is the right word.  I’ve been harping on this subject myself.  The supply/demand equation has already shifted significantly and prices for all but the best and rarest are softening.  We are in the first few years of what is going to be a flood of very affordable collector vehicles coming to market.  Clearly there aren’t going to be enough buyers.  Prices will continue to fall 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, edinmass said:

The trick is to live long enough and stay healthy and wealthy enough to enjoy the windfalls when they occur. I'm ready for a $10k 12 cyl. Packard or '59 El Dorado. 

Maybe my kids or grandkids... (all adults, now)

• Like 2

"The trick is to live long enough and stay healthy and wealthy enough to enjoy the windfalls when they occur. I'm ready for a $10k 12 cyl. Packard,,,"

I totally agree. I am going to grab the first $10k well-sorted 12 cylinder Packard I see. Plan B, of course, is to buy an occasional lottery ticket.

1 minute ago, pmhowe said:

"The trick is to live long enough and stay healthy and wealthy enough to enjoy the windfalls when they occur. I'm ready for a $10k 12 cyl. Packard,,,"

I totally agree. I am going to grab the first $10k well-sorted 12 cylinder Packard I see. Plan B, of course, is to buy an occasional lottery ticket.

You can buy a very nice running and driving V-12 Packard for less than half the cost of a 3500 series diesel pick up truck today….

• Like 6

There’s a lot of talk about high prices, but to say I used to buy a $1500 car in the 90s or 70s, that was 30 or 50 years ago.  Things have gotten more expensive across the board.  Yes, cars have outpaced inflation, but what you get is very different. If you try to find a basic sedan, with a 3 speed manual transmission, manual steering, brakes, windows, and a single sun visor, your choices are limited.  Then ask for one without ABS, airbags, a radio, and air conditioning and the choices are fewer.  Whether or not you think this is an improvement is up to you, but the point is comparing your average car or truck in the 60s to one today is comparing two very different items.  

Houses follow the same pattern.  In the 50, 60, and 70s, many people considered a 3 bedroom, 1 bath ranch under 1500 square feet, with no garage (heresy I know) and no air conditioning to be a very reasonable house to raise a family in and that’s how a lot were built. A nicer house might have had a master bath that had one sink, one stall shower and was considered a major step up.  Starter homes today are larger and with many more amenities, and the next step up even more so.  

Part of the fun of the not mine, is seeing what’s for sale, becoming educated about prices and how to evaluate these cars.  Some are over priced, few are underpriced since they sell quickly, and some are in the range.  If you don’t like the mix of cars here, post ones you want to hear comments on.  It’s easy to say people who ask more for an item than the generic you think is fair are greedy.  The other side would be to say someone who wants the item for less than others think is fair are greedy since they want something for nothing.  Either someone will decide they think the price is fair, it will come down when the item doesn’t sell, or it will remain for sale forever.   

• Like 3

On 2/3/2024 at 12:32 PM, 1912Staver said:

Just North of you , here in Canada we have an education system that is at least somewhat better than in the U.S. according to every survey and ranking I have seen. We are typically ranked in #4 spot , following #1 Denmark, then Finland then Japan. The U.S. often barely cracks the top 10.

But here in Canada incomes are on average 10% or more, less than a apples to apples comparison with the U.S. And taxes combined with cost of living is quite a bit higher.

Unfortunately better education does not necessarily translate to a better standard of living.

It used too, once upon a time. But that leads to discussions that are akin to screaming into a hurricane, and it's better to just post cars that I find intresting and no-one else does :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theconvertibleguy said:

It used too, once upon a time. But that leads to discussions that are akin to screaming into a hurricane, and it's better to just post cars that I find intresting and no-one else does :D

I have seen a few interesting ones you have posted. I am always looking out here on the West Coast as well, but I don't seem to find much. Most of the interesting cars I find are either in the U.S. or U.K. I am mostly a Brass Era  or post war British car guy. Little of either those categories posted on here.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

I have seen a few interesting ones you have posted. I am always looking out here on the West Coast as well, but I don't seem to find much. Most of the interesting cars I find are either in the U.S. or U.K. I am mostly a Brass Era  or post war British car guy. Little of either those categories posted on here.

ooo ya that would be hard to find. There was a nice Chrysler New Yorker'46 convertible out your way on FB for the longest time.

The 1940's are in general one of the decades that interest me the least. But most convertibles are of at least some interest to me. There is always someone willing to pay a lot more for a 1940's convertible than I would be willing to. So I don't really even scan for them. I do like early 1950's cars. I still regret selling my project 1953 Chevy convertible . Sold about 20 or so years ago. No way I can afford one these days.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

The 1940's are in general one of the decades that interest me the least. But most convertibles are of at least some interest to me. There is always someone willing to pay a lot more for a 1940's convertible than I would be willing to. So I don't really even scan for them. I do like early 1950's cars. I still regret selling my project 1953 Chevy convertible . Sold about 20 or so years ago. No way I can afford one these days.

I usually fid the mid 30's to the late 60's are my sweet spot, which sadly, as I like convertibles, means some of the more expensive classics that you can get. You can get lucky, and for me I need larger cars so they're sometimes cheaper, but that's quickly becoming a thing of the past. Case in point, I could have found a few Ford's in the 40's bracket for 20k in 2001. They're like 35-50 now, and most aren't original

I am reasonably tall, but I grew up driving a mix of Mustangs and British MG's and similar sports cars.  I find I fit in both. Although cars like MG Midget's are a bit snug. I also have a couple of 1970's British race cars. I very carefully tested if I could get a comfortable seating position before I bought them.  Early 1980's onward  and most of the British open wheel cars { Formula Fords } started getting smaller. Larger people like me don't really fit in them. 

I looked in the current Antique Auto magazine and there was a welcome announcement.  Vehicles from 1999 are now twenty five years old and are considered to be antiques! When I was buying 50's and '60's cars back in the '70's they were just cheap old cars. There were lots of nice ones available at the time. Cars from the '80's and early 90's are now the cheap old cars, and there are lots of nice ones still available. The question is: "Do you want one?"  All of those cars that I bought back in the '70's are pretty  expensive now. I do a lot of complaining, but I've just moved on to those newer old cars.  I've had the '50's/'60's  cars already, and don't think that I want to go back. I've got a '96 and a '97. I also have an '05 and an '06. These were cars that I liked when they were new. Now I get to own several cars that I can afford and they are all " nice ones."