Cars I purchased from barns, and sheds and falling down garages

Paul from PA

Going thru some pictures I have realized I have bought more into the daylight than I thought Some not pictured include a 1957 Chevy Convertible and a really rough 1969 Boss 302 Mustang, 1954 Dodge convertible out of a storage trailer and probably others. My wife is so in love with me. Always bringing her "gifts"

leon 63 012.JPG

20201023_131112.jpg

32buick rear 005.JPG

65 mustang 001.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3689.JPG

• Like 12

There are worse things you could do than drag another old car home.

Tell the wife it's like when you let your housecat go outdoors for a while. "Chat" is almost guaranteed to bring you a gift and lay it at your feet on the steps when he meows to come back in. Sure, it may be a mouse, chipmunk, lizard or snake, but it's Chat's way of saying "I love you. See what I hunted and brought you?"

I also well understand not every better half sees it that way!

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Who cares about any of those cars shown { alsancle's special excepted, it's totally cool } . I would absolutely kill for the barn in the third photo. I finally have the space at the new place, but any barn project I find around here is so deterioated that you would need at least a $250,000 budget { probably much more in the end } to move it and make it usable again.  Like I have said before , cars are 98 % of the time reasonably cheap and easy. It's the cost of the land and buildings that make even a wealthy man weep.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

It's the cost of the land and buildings that make even a wealthy man weep.

This....

People shouldn't be allowed to own a nice car if they do not have a proper garage/storage.

Barns seem to be acceptable but have their limits.

• Like 2

Around here a house with a " proper " garage / storage set up  starts at about 1.5 million and up. If it has a bit of land more like 2.5 Million and up, up,up.. My new place was somewhat in excess of the 1.5 figure and still is only mimimally qualifying as " proper ". { I do however now have a couple of acres that are truly mine  to do with what I like}.  The wife has the back patio and front yard. 

I figure I still need to come up with another $125,000 in buildings  before I concider my stuff " properly " housed.

I could have sold everything , cars, shop set up , spare parts etc. . Bought one nice , needs nothing car and made do with what what has come with the new place. But part of the justification for going in debt to buy the new place was to have the room for a fair amount of what I have collected over the last 50 years, as much the shop stuff as the cars themselves. Lathe ,mill, lots of welding gear and much more.

If I waited until I could afford a "proper " place before buying anything it would simply never happen. Property prices around  go up way faster than anyone local can posibly sock money away. All a person can do if they want to actually take part in old cars is take the plunge and hope over time the details like a " proper " shop, garage can be eventually managed. Lottery ? Unexpected inheritance ?

P.S. the barn would be more for things like tractors { although I sold my steel wheeler as part of the slim down prior to moving } and probably the couple of 1920's trucks that did make the move , no one wanted to buy them so it was either scrap them or move them.  Not for any of the cars. Plus I just really like old barns. All my older relatives had them back in Manitoba where I am originally from. Just never have had one of my own.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

I would absolutely kill for the barn in the third photo. I finally have the space at the new place, but any barn project I find around here is so deterioated that you would need at least a $250,000 budget { probably much more in the end } to move it and make it usable again.  Like I have said before , cars are 98 % of the time reasonably cheap and easy. It's the cost of the land and buildings that make even a wealthy man weep.

That's why no additional cars have come to live on HydraMatic Drive. The cost of building something to keep them in and the added real estate taxes convince me I have enough.

Course a wiser man would have built a 40x70 instead of a 36x50 in the first place!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, JFranklin said:

So 4 photos and I don't know what it is/was.  ???

AJ must have missed this, I know it's here in our forum also but here you go, just have some spare reading time! 😁

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1928-schumacher-special-early-hot-rod.82304/

• Like 3

I would like to think this car ended up in good hands, given the timeline and inability to keep contact with the owner of it.

Urban Exploration: Interesting '63 Lark Police Car - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

The '63 Y3 Lark Marshall 4 Door in Indianapolis, IN - Studebaker Drivers Club Forum

As mentioned in these posts, it was a special-order police car.

Craig

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paul from PA said:

Going thru some pictures I have realized I have bought more into the daylight than I thought Some not pictured include a 1957 Chevy Convertible and a really rough 1969 Boss 302 Mustang, 1954 Dodge convertible out of a storage trailer and probably others. My wife is so in love with me. Always bringing her "gifts"

leon 63 012.JPG

20201023_131112.jpg

32buick rear 005.JPG

65 mustang 001.JPG

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3689.JPG

What kind of car is the filthy light blue(?) close coupled sedan(?) with the trunk and rear tire mount in photo #3?

5 minutes ago, 63RedBrier said:

What kind of car is the filthy light blue(?) close coupled sedan(?) with the trunk and rear tire mount in photo #3?

Looks to me like a 1932 Buick Victoria....here is the side mount spare tire version.

1932 Buick 86-Victoria.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Paul from PA said:

Some of those cars are nice finds, except, I would have left the Pinto where it was.   

Craig

• Haha 4

The Packard came from a farm in Ontario (just across from Detroit).  It was in that barn since the 60's.  The gentleman's father started working on the car in the 70's but had given up working on it only after a couple years.

The Cadillac was in a barn in Avon NY since 1953.  Sadly, I didn't get the privilege of pulling that one out, the prior owner did but didn't document that event.  It changed hands a couple times before I got it.

Pack 1.png

Pack 2.jpg

Cad 1.JPG

Cad 2.JPG

Cad 3.JPG

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

A fine building indeed !  But that would be an easy 1/4 million { probably more } to build around here, and I already have the land.

The one I posted was 200K to stick build 15 years ago.  So you can probably double that these days.  One of the reasons it never got built.

• Like 1

Like I say, the cars are for the most part cheap. It's the buildings that are the killer on the wallet. People that have access to cheap older structures are so far ahead of the game it is not funny. The rest of find a way to get by but it isn't easy. And usually far from ideal.

11 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Like I say, the cars are for the most part cheap. It's the buildings that are the killer on the wallet. People that have access to cheap older structures are so far ahead of the game it is not funny. The rest of find a way to get by but it isn't easy. And usually far from ideal.

When I built my latest garage, I started it right when Covid hit.  I had budgeted to hire out a number of elements but in the end, I built most all of it by myself (all but concrete and roofing).  People weren't available and it made me get creative.  I've been involved in a number of builds before, but never did one solo.  I used wall-jacks, scissor-lift, Genie Superlift and raised all my walls and even erected trusses solo without a crane.  My father is a retired electrician, so I knew what I was doing there... even installed the custom garage doors I had made.  Last thing I have to do is put copper gutters on it this fall.  Eventually, I'll get back to insulating and finishing on the inside but will be saving money by recycling one of the air-handlers from my house when I remodel/add-on this winter.  I would have loved a much larger footprint (and could have if my topography would have allowed 1/2 cost was in concrete work).  I'm lucky that my wife lets me have the whole basement for my hobbies too.  Right now, I have ~$75k into it, probably closer to $80k once it's all done.  If you're willing to roll-up the sleeves and get creative, you can do any hobby on a budget (even today).

20200129_175558.jpg

20210405_124730.jpg

20210405_192602.jpg

20210502_153448.jpg

20211002_181650.jpg

shop 3.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MGRAB said:

When I built my latest garage, I started it right when Covid hit.  I had budgeted to hire out a number of elements but in the end, I built most all of it by myself (all but concrete and roofing).  People weren't available and it made me get creative.  I've been involved in a number of builds before, but never did one solo.  I used wall-jacks, scissor-lift, Genie Superlift and raised all my walls and even erected trusses solo without a crane.  My father is a retired electrician, so I knew what I was doing there... even installed the custom garage doors I had made.  Last thing I have to do is put copper gutters on it this fall.  Eventually, I'll get back to insulating and finishing on the inside but will be saving money by recycling one of the air-handlers from my house when I remodel/add-on this winter.  I would have loved a much larger footprint (and could have if my topography would have allowed 1/2 cost was in concrete work).  I'm lucky that my wife lets me have the whole basement for my hobbies too.  Right now, I have ~$75k into it, probably closer to $80k once it's all done.  If you're willing to roll-up the sleeves and get creative, you can do any hobby on a budget (even today).

20200129_175558.jpg

20210405_124730.jpg

20210405_192602.jpg

20210502_153448.jpg

20211002_181650.jpg

shop 3.jpg

Nice garage!  You should post this over in the Barn & Garage thread I linked earlier.

• Like 1

I don't know how you guys find these. By the time I see them they're either on the local forums for a mint, or some local restorer has gutted them and selling for a premium.

Also I'll take some of those barns. Sadly anything up here that would have anything like that is guaranteed to be seven figures. <insert rant about the idiocy of local governments here>

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Nice garage!  You should post this over in the Barn & Garage thread I linked earlier.

Thank you!  I will do just that.. I'm traveling for work this coming week and will be looking for something to do at night vs the same old shows.

8 hours ago, MGRAB said:

20200129_175558.jpg

20210405_124730.jpg

20210405_192602.jpg

20210502_153448.jpg

20211002_181650.jpg

shop 3.jpg

That's a great looking shop. And a very challenging site. But even that $80 K budget is about $110 K Canadian or about 3 years total after tax income for this retired Canuck.

Like I have mentioned in other threads if after all expenses are paid I am very lucky to have 15% - 20% left over to spend as I please. So that do it your self , economy build would represent about 15 years of any and all of my discretionary spending. That puts me at 80 before it's paid for and then can spend on the cars. And that is not even counting interest on a loan to get the thing built before the materials rot away.

A very nice solution, but clearly not one we all can move forward on.

The solution I have been using for the last 25 years is to buy existing buildings on properties being re developed. Dismantle and re erect on my property. The final step in my move will be to take down two buildings the the new owner of my old place does not want. Both were second hand to begin with, and I put them back up 25 years ago. Plus the two that I had bought, dismantled and not been able to put back up yet at the old place { good thing as it turned out } all I had to do was move the pieces to the new place. So two quonsets  to go back up , and a wood frame building , plus a commercial greenhouse { 30' x 65 ' } that I bought a couple of years ago. The greenhouse is great for storage and as it is an agricultural building it does not effect my allowed square footage of buildings. I am ag zoned and limited to 2000 sq ft of non ag use buildings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theconvertibleguy said:

I don't know how you guys find these. By the time I see them they're either on the local forums for a mint, or some local restorer has gutted them and selling for a premium.

Also I'll take some of those barns. Sadly anything up here that would have anything like that is guaranteed to be seven figures. <insert rant about the idiocy of local governments here>

It's not just local !  Out here on the West coast if anything the situation is worse.

On 9/21/2023 at 3:48 PM, rocketraider said:

That's why no additional cars have come to live on HydraMatic Drive. The cost of building something to keep them in and the added real estate taxes convince me I have enough.

Course a wiser man would have built a 40x70 instead of a 36x50 in the first place!

40 X 70 is too short in my opinion. Some of the Vintage vehicles are 20 foot long give or take and you want room to walk around them. It is too tight when you double park them. 50 X 100 would be a lot more user friendly. 😁 

• Like 2