Favorite examples of understatement in classic car auction descriptions

1935Packard

I always enjoy reading how classic car auction descriptions acknowledge problems with a car's condition.  This one may be a new favorite:  "There is no denying that 0406 MD will require a comprehensive restoration to return the car to the condition of its glory days."

Yeah, I would think so:

Screenshot2023-06-12at10_51_37PM.png.81f420147e87cca00b3b9e9c97883d17.png

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/mo23/monterey/lots/r0058-1954-ferrari-500-mondial-spider-series-i-by-pinin-farina/1358217

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

59 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

"There is no denying that 0406 MD will require a comprehensive restoration to return the car to the condition of its glory days."

They could have phrased it more forthrightly as:

"As the pictures show, this relic is now little more than a hunk of rusty and twisted metal.

Use its data plate and serial number to fabricate one entirely from scratch."

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 4

There is an E Type Jag lightweight that was in similar condition that is now restored - I read about it in a car magazine a few years ago and was amazed at the meticulous process that was involved. I found the link below about it.

CMC's Lindner Nocker Jaguar E-Type Returns To Racing Glory (hotcars.com)

With enough money in the bank and the right team of people anything is possible.........someone may be brave / foolish enough for this one.

I know there may be some that will argue, but I can see a rusted quarter panel being replaced, and a new floor pan. BUT, IF this car is "rebuilt" how much will really be there? ALMOST NIL. I am sure someone will spend several kings ransomes on this and it will be sold at an auction some day for stupid money, but it will be a re-creation, not a restoration.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I know there may be some that will argue, but I can see a rusted quarter panel being replaced, and a new floor pan. BUT, IF this car is "rebuilt" how much will really be there? ALMOST NIL. I am sure someone will spend several kings ransomes on this and it will be sold at an auction some day for stupid money, but it will be a re-creation, not a restoration.

As I was looking at the pictures I was thinking that the original car would make an interesting accompanying piece to a re-created one.  Won't cost any more and in my mind more respectful to the original car.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TAKerry said:

The Ship of Theseus question.

• Like 2

A while back, I wrote an article for RM Shift Magazine about a Ferrari 340 America that had to be largely recrafted, and this was done using 3D scans of a sister car. The work was done by Touring, the maker of the original body, so it was rebuilt to essentially new condition by the original maker. If memory serves, it was Classiche certified with the red book and everything, so the Ferrari people are OK with recreations as long as they are done properly.

Edited by zdillinger (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As badly damaged as it is, this is still without question 0406 MD . A replica is just a replica. This is a competition Ferrari, just a badly battered one. Even in this state it will no doubt bring a very handsome price. And when restored will be worth multiple millions. Why would you not restore it ?

" We have the technology "

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TAKerry said:

To understand why you can read about the how about one of the most bummer car barn fires of them all.   Basically a 30 million dollar car burned was buried for 30 years, turned in to 1k dollars worth of scrap metal and then turned into a 4 million something dollar car.    The 30 million dollar car is gone, but some expensive still exists.

The original car:

412021k.jpg

What it looked like when they dug it up in the 80s:

d29f.jpg

"restored" car:

new29k.jpg

http://home.exetel.com.au/seasalt/Alfa.html?fbclid=IwAR2AezWdpOqSMwrlSSagk-KvfCmamOnwVSHghgEj5AS7WuE56rjJyGQkmV8

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I remember Old Cars doing an article on the restoration of former cars of the President of the Philippines. They had been stored in the wet basement of the presidential palace. I have searched online trying to find information but didn't come up with anything.

I have purchased a number of real disasters over the years... but I sold them all. Don't recall any I didn't come out ahead on. I used whole number multipliers but never more than 2 digits.

My latest doozy was a '67 427 Corvette I was hired to authenticate this spring. It was sold about 7 years ago by a large auction house (won't say who), advertised as a frame off resto of a supposed  21,000 original mile car. Loaded with options including PS/PB, A/C, tilt-tele, headrests and side pipes. Numbers matching, of course... Sold at auction 7 years ago for 160k. Seller decided to sell it this year and was wanting about 190 for it. An interested buyer sent me to go through it, and while it was absolutley beautiful, I ultimately found a small block car built around a legitimate 427 engine, transmission and VIN tag. (yeah I know, never happened before). Naturally, my client ran for the hills and I ruined the seller's day (week? month?). Last I heard, high-five figures would buy the car, (and credit to the seller who made an honest mistake buying it and is fully transparent about what they now have). If you think the auction will step up voluntarily to cover the seller's massive losses I have a bridge to sell you...

IMO some dealer ads are ridiculously more misleading and/or inaccurate than what I see at auctions, where typically the less said, the better.      

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zdillinger said:

A while back, I wrote an article for RM Shift Magazine about a Ferrari 340 America that had to be largely recrafted, and this was done using 3D scans of a sister car. The work was done by Touring, the maker of the original body, so it was rebuilt to essentially new condition by the original maker. If memory serves, it was Classiche certified with the red book and everything, so the Ferrari people are OK with recreations as long as they are done properly.

Ferrari Classiche is simply Ferrari's latest way of separating rich people from their money. Their "certification" standards are pretty lax as long as the check clears.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Ferrari Classiche is simply Ferrari's latest way of separating rich people from their money. Their "certification" standards are pretty lax as long as the check clears.

Absolutely. I mentioned it only to support the claim that the totally rebuilt car will be accepted in that crowd.