More harm than good? passing these 5 covered cars for 5 years now.

31plymouth

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to More harm than good? passing these 5 covered cars for 5 years now.

If I were to leave a car outside and covered I would probably use this method. Loose enough to let some air flow. I doubt theyre trapping moisture, but also most likely not preventing it either. There was a guy nearby that had a decent looking 65 mustang. Parked beside his house he had it shrinkwrapped like they do boats. I am sure that one is trapping moisture. And it has been there for years now cant imagine what it looks like.

Remember front end BRAS  ( covers to protect front leading surfaces )

Wind damage and sand/ dirt got under BRAS and damaged paint.

Long term storage under tarps has not been a good thing for many.

The packaging for most of those car covers claims that it uses technology that allows moisture out without letting moisture in. When I used them I would see moisture on the windows of the car so I would take it off randomly and put it back on after it’s dried for a couple of hours. 

I would guess that they used to be uncovered and driven in rotation to keep them up and running. And enjoyed by the owner. Then new owners bought the house you can see in the background. And when they are loading the washing machine or the dryer. They could see those cars just sitting there. This bothered them so much, they contacted the City. To report this horrible act, and get it resolved. Now the cars must be covered according to City code R-46831-1h. The unsightly car act of 1998.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What about abrasion to painted surfaces from 5 years worth of winds whipping the covers around? Think: March winds, windstorms, thunderstorms, breezy days, snow squalls etc. That's a lot of abuse over 5 years. Maybe the cars underneath are in poor condition and painted surfaces aren't really a concern. A neighbor of mine had a few dead junkers stored outside under car covers. The winds completely destroyed the covers in a year or two. 

• Like 2

Keeping a car cover on for any length of time is not recommended, it even states it on the paperwork you get with the cover. Even the finest material will abrade the paint over time. If they aren't "breathable" covers they will trap moisture and promote mildew and rust.

On 5/26/2023 at 10:07 AM, 31plymouth said:

I've been passing these 5 covered cars for 5 years now.  Are the covers keeping moisture trapped ?  I have never seen them with the covers off.

IMG_1749.jpeg

I could have sworn I drove past those cars this past weekend in Lagrange NY. My wife was driving and we were killing time between the church and the reception, I think it was RT 55? 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 10:25 AM, John348 said:

I could have sworn I drove past those cars this past weekend in Lagrange NY. My wife was driving and we were killing time between the church and the reception, I think it was RT 55? 

Yep, RT 55.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 31plymouth said:

Yep, RT 55.

WOW, that was it, it was Lagrangeville last Saturday afternoon, the reception was right near where those cars were parked at Ryan's Family Farm. On the way to the Church when we went past I noticed a late 60's early 70's GMC pick-up in the drive way. It was gone on the way back. Small world....   

Here in Windy Wyoming those covers would have been heading for Kansas in just a few months. People with boats and cover them find they have to buy three new covers a year. The last two or three years have really been tiresome. My backyard gets rearranged on a regular basis.