Looking to find value of some project/parts cars. (Added Pictures)

yj4000

Hi, A co-worker is looking to sell some cars that I am interested in. I saw pictures only. I am hoping to go see them this weekend. (2-4-23) There is a 57 Belair 2 door outside not covered very rough,  60's Mustang (outside and covered not sure of year or condition), 80's MGB,  and a 56 Cadillac convertible, not sure of model. The MG and Caddy are inside but the roof fell in and has since been repaired. I know the convertible top frames are damaged. What I am looking for is someone who knows Cadillacs to get an idea of what its worth. I will add pictures when I get some. 

Thanks, Ryan.

EDIT: It's a 56 Cadillac.

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

Edited by yj4000
Added Pictures (see edit history)

We need pictures in order to give any opinion.   Value of Caddy depends on how rusty it is.  Look at the floors & crawl underneath and look at the frame and brackets that support the body.  These are notorious for rusting out.   Also take an engine picture and a picture of the data tag on the firewall.  The Cadillac LaSalle Club forum on their website is also a good place for info once you get pictures.  

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, yj4000 said:

Hi, A co-worker is looking to sell some cars that I am interested in...

Ryan, since you're new on the forum, we don't know what

your experience is with old cars.  Are you going to sell off

the parts over several years?  Restoring a rough car costs

great amounts of money that is never recovered.  And anyone--

even an expert--should not take on more than one project at 

a time.

There may be reasons why no one else wanted those cars.

Cars are a fun hobby, but realistic views will keep it fun for you.

If you let us know your thoughts and plans, we can advise you.

It's not clear whether you are looking at buying all four cars or just a certain car(s). From personal experience I can say that the value for all purchased together should be 50-60% of the retail number 4-5, condition. What this would relate to in money terms I have no idea. Some of these cars are going to be interesting while some he may have a hard time getting rid of (call them throw ins). There's nothing obscure here, you should have little trouble getting a value on each car.

Location can also play a big part in condition. A car that spent it's life in Arizona may be salvageable where a car that has been outside all it's life in Seattle most likely will not be.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

Amazed that anyone thinks that the only place that you can sell a vintage car is the East Coast. There is a spirited car hobby on the West Coast, and with over 50M people in Cal, Or. and Wa. alone, there is an active market close to home.

Ok, If the car is in Boston how much will it cost to ship to Long Beach, California? 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ok, If the car is in Boston how much will it cost to ship to Long Beach, California? 

5k enclosed by a major carrier. And you will wait months.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I wonder how my life in the hobby would have differed if I started with Better project cars or held off and bought something running. 

Bob,  things were different 30-40 years ago.  Getting work done was a lot easier and cheaper.  

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies. I'm north of Syracuse NY. So yes they are rusty. I will get some pictures as soon as I can. The temps here are -15F plus (or minus) a wind chill. I will wait till the temps are a little better. I am familiar with car old and new. I have been an auto technician/mechanic for over 30 years. I don't plan on restoring them. I have enough projects, like most car people. I will have a better idea what my plans are after I see them in person. I am trying to help out a co-worker and have a fair price for both of us, and still make some money to help with my other projects.

Thanks Again, Ryan.

22 minutes ago, yj4000 said:

Thanks for all the replies. I'm north of Syracuse NY. So yes they are rusty. I will get some pictures as soon as I can. The temps here are -15F plus (or minus) a wind chill. I will wait till the temps are a little better. I am familiar with car old and new. I have been an auto technician/mechanic for over 30 years. I don't plan on restoring them. I have enough projects, like most car people. I will have a better idea what my plans are after I see them in person. I am trying to help out a co-worker and have a fair price for both of us, and still make some money to help with my other projects.

Thanks Again, Ryan.

See what 1957 Caddy parts are SELLING for on eBay, figure out how to remove the parts with value and scrap the junk. Shipping costs have a big effect on selling things these days. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• yj4000 changed the title to Looking to find value of some project/parts cars. (Added Pictures)

I do not plan on restoring it. The Intake is off but not sure if it's with the car. The engine is not stuck, I can turn it by hand. I would like to go back when I have more time and jack it up to look under it.  I would like to make a fair offer for both of us and be able to make some funds to put into my other project car. I have a good idea what the other cars are worth. Just not the Cadillac. I have explained this to my co-worker. Just would like some idea. $2500 $5000 More? Less?

Thanks, Ryan.

Edited by yj4000 (see edit history)

I can almost guarantee that Cadillac has a lot of floor rust and frame rust.   There are outriggers on the outside of the frame that support the body that rust out.   If the car has dual quad carburetors with the air cleaner that set up is worth more than the rest of the car.   I’m thinking $1500.   Someone already took the rear bumper.   Oh, and it is an Eldorado, not a 62 series.  

For the record a local 1956 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special 4-door sedan project car I was very familiar with sold on Ebay 2 years ago for $2600 (11 bids).  It was an all original complete non-running 77,000 mile car from very long dry indoor storage but needed everything. There were some minor rust spots but the floors & frame were solid. I don't know its fate but in my opinion it was a better parts car than a fixer-upper. The car was located near Hershey, PA. 

3 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Is it possible for a person short on honesty to buy this and use the necessary parts, VIN tag, Trim Tag, etc. to convert an Eldorado coupe to an Eldorado convert, then try to pass it off as the real deal?

It’s only a matter of time and money…

1 hour ago, yj4000 said:

Thank you. Yes it's a 56 Eldorado Biarritz. The rear bumper is there, just not on the car.

Ryan.

If any of the trim is in good shape, there might be some good value in selling the trim, and such things as seat frames command big money. As a project, no, but to support other projects there is huge potential depending on the condition of the parts. 

Ryan:

Rough, rusty Northeast cars have little value other than as parts cars.  Since this is a '56 Eldorado Biarritz convertible, there may be some demand for the Sabre wheels and other Eldorado-specific trim parts.   Contacting the Cadillac-LaSalle Club would be a good idea.  

Steve

The intake, carbs, and air cleaner are not on the engine. I did not see them around the car. I will have more time when I go back to look. I have posted on the Cadillac-LaSalle forum. They have been helpful also.

Thanks Again, Ryan.

Buy the car if you like it. There is no law that says anything has to be completed. If I had a spot in the garage I would like it just sitting there to look at.

But if it was at my place it would look like I saw some value in it.

To offer a car for sale and them walk into a mess like that would leave me speechless. And it happens often. That car cleaned and presented by someone with the most minimal sale skills could bring around $5,000 if handled aptly. Like take the fender off the convertible top for starters.

I have been accused of taking advantage of people when a seller found out I bought a car like that and cleaned it as if I were going to a car show and sold it for multiples of the purchase price. You can do as well, I'm sure.

I know your area. I am surprised the guy in Adams Center doesn't have them. But he wouldn't have done anything to present them better.

Good luck. Don't marry it Just make a few bucks selling as a unit and keep the profit toward a better car.

• Like 1

Another perspective/way to consider the "as is" value of the '56 Eldo (or anything similar) would be that to completely and correctly restore it to as-it-left-factory condition will cost much closer to half than quarter mil $, maybe more, if done by someone who knows what they're doing.

And yes, it/they can be "done" for less, but that wouldn't be very respectful of the car, as it would likely end up being just another half-hearted job, which the world already has more than plenty. 

OTOH, regardless of the resurrection approach, the saddest result will be if the car ends up not getting driven/used enough as is the common fate of 90+% of rebuilt/restored old cars. ☹️

Edited by TTR (see edit history)