Adventures of getting your classic find home

arcticbuicks

So here is the short story of my big adventure getting my 1931 Buick 8-66S home from Cary, IL to Port Huron, MI.

Ingredients: 

1 1931 Buick purchased on E-Bay in April, 2018

Before 002.jpg

Add 1 brand new Ford E-350 Super-Duty diesel pickup

DSC_0027.JPG

Plus one enclosed rental trailer

rental trailer.png

Plus one faulty trailer hitch-up (no picture available)

Plus one group of about 4 grown men pushing my new prize up the loading ramp tailgate on the trailer (and my wife stood by expecting the worst reaction from me when the next step occurred, I said nothing!)

Equals one 6" x 6" hole punched thru the aluminum tailgate skin of the Ford when the trailer coupler pops off the hitch ball with the Buick half way up the loading ramp!

Before 037.JPG

This was how my 4 year effort to finish this car started.  How will it end?  Your guess is as good as mine...

20220930_131343.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 8

No pictures but plenty of adventure(s):

Back in the 1980's I bought a 1947 Nash Suburban Sedan. It was in Feb. 

I lived in New Jersey and the Nash was in New Hampshire.

Needless to say that the weather in Feb. is WAAAAYYYYY different in N.H. than in N.J.

So, I decided to go get the car on a Sunday morning and use my 1963 Mercury Comet (6 cyl / 3 spd) and my bumper tow bar to tow the car home. Not a great idea but youthful inexperience (stupidity) overrode that .

Got to the car no problem (except that it was so cold everything was iced up).  Hooked everything up and crawled out of the driveway. I was going to make a right out of the driveway but the guy I bought the car from told me it would be shorter if I made a left. What he DID NOT tell me was I was headed down a very steep hill which came to a "T" - which I had the "STOP" sign. Seeing that I needed to stop I gave myself, what I thought, plenty of stopping distance. I gently applied the brakes and, not seeming to slow down fast enough I then "stood" on the brake pedal. The brakes were doing their job of locking the tires BUT the ice on the road had other plans.

As I am now skidding towards the Stop sign all I could do was try to control the 2 cars. The Comet went into a skid and the Nash, of course, followed its lead. I jack-knifed and wound up in the middle of the intersection and I couldn't move because the Nash was almost at a 90 degree angle to the Comet. And naturally there were other cars waiting at the intersection to pass. 

So, because I was doing this alone, (another great idea I might add) I had to get out of the Comet and slowly turn the wheels of the Nash until I was able to finally get the 2 cars "lined up" again. 

I drove home in a downpour where I could hardly see in front of me but I made it. Only took 12 hours.....

Bought a 1948 Chrysler NY'er in upstate New York. Needed to tow it back to Pa.

I decided to use my trusty old bumper tow bar again (and this time I cannot blame youthful stupidity because I wasn't youthful and I already went through this nonsense before - so you'd think I should've known better - NOPE!!!!) 

BUT I did have a friend with me this time which would prove to be absolutely necessary.

Got all hooked up and got on I-84. 

The tow car had a mind of its own and did not want to "track" with the tow vehicle. So I had to sit in the towed car and steer it in order to keep it somewhat in the lane. It was tough and an extra added "bonus" was that we were doing this in the summer so I had to have the windows open - no big deal except I was breathing in all of the mouse turd odor and all kinds of stuff was flying around me.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, f.f.jones said:

I believe there is a good story about this one; involving huge fines for an unsecured, and oversized load, and a extra large surcharge for breach of contract from U-Haul where transporting a vehicle inside one is against their rules & regulations.

Craig

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have always like old cars since High School.  I have never been able to afford anything except project cars through the years.  Here are a few of the projects I have dragged home.  One from Colorado where the bolts on the factory hitch broke and the hitch and trailer tongue ended up on the pavement.  Another from Ohio that almost didn't fit on the trailer. And one from PA that attracted so much attention in rest areas that I had to give history lessons on the car and the car company before I could continue on. 

IMG_0208.JPG

56MKIIRear.jpg

IMG_1809_a.jpg

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, dibarlaw said:

The arival of "Beulah" back in 2011. The owner and some of his friends trailered it from Ogdensburg, NY. to Chambersburg, PA.

651747737_DSCF1283(2).JPG.8a4d837c333d209a55f9b6c26fab2635.JPG

DSCF1284.JPG.dfb8c054d592d3c1f6a65b97e996487f.JPG

318623348_DSCF1287(2).JPG.0fd9c95d21d129d39627ceed60a41571.JPG

My neighbor Monty there for the arrival.

DSCF1285.JPG.7409985982fc4f5dfb5579091b4e84d0.JPG

Finally a pic of what appears to be the correct way to do so! LOL.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

More Photos of that trip. After it arrived home. 

post-44142-143141958901_thumb.jpgpost-44142-14314195891_thumb.jpgpost-44142-143141958917_thumb.jpg

What are your plans for the Buick, Dave?  Or, is it already done?

• Like 1

Here is a 1929 Chrysler 65 that we towed home behind a 1942 Plymouth in 1971. Trip was about 900 miles on the original tires. made a homemade tow bar. Had one flat near the end of the trip and it destroyed the wire wheel as well. Trip was from Fort McLeod Alberta to Surrey, British Columbia. First try was with a U haul trailer, but the Chrysler was too heavy and the tires were rubbing. 

car tow 1971.jpg

Edited by ckowner
added to text (see edit history)
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

What are your plans for the Buick, Dave?  Or, is it already done?

Well it has been one roller coaster of a ride. It is here on the farm safe and sound. Everytime I get set up and get ready to do something with it, it seems something happens that prevents it from going forward. Not all bad because it is parts for the Charteruse Lady if nothing else. I have no rear seat as it was hacked off and turned into a pick up years ago with an old wagon body attached to it's back. Though I may just keep it as I found it as it sure has character that way other than to make it run and drive. Stopped to see the fellow I got it from last year in Apirl. I don't feel so bad as he still has a Model A Roadster pickup that has not been worked on in all that time. We keep on dreaming about what it could be until it is all gone. Gone with the wind.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

that Buick looks exactly like one about 3 hours from me and much the same condition but has seat back etc still standing ,i knew the fenders were huge but i didnt know the wheels were so big.

26 inch Baker rims on the 1915 C-36 and on the C-37 Buicks.

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

interesting rear springs ,there are frame shackles at the back but then big half leafs ?

They are 3/4 elliptics  in the rear. Spring were full elliptics in the early years on horse drawn vehicles and early autos. Cut to 3/4 elliptics in the rear for a time, and half elliptics in the front. 1/2 Elliptics all the way around for many years after. And then the coil spring was thrown in the mix.  

• Thanks 1

When I was a kid, back in the early 90’s,  I went with my dad to a museum close out auction in Ohio, mostly fords. He ended up buying a model t, and then we had to stay to the end of the auction to buy the single axle homemade trailer to bring the car home. It was cheaper than renting a u haul or having the car shipped. Still have both.

• Like 3

I got a call one morning from a car friend of mine when I was at work (1979). He said he was selling his cars and buying a boat. (Big mistake!) I had a couple of hours to get over to his place and make a deal on his 34 Dodge Conv Coupe that I had asked about a few times. If I didn't want it their were some hot-rodders coming over in the afternoon! Told the boss I was sick and left immediately for Deep Cover, just outside of Vancouver. It was stuffed under his carport on the side of a steep driveway. Needless to say I bought it and asked my wife for forgiveness afterword. That went better than I had anticipated. I had to get a crew of 4-5 guys to help and borrowed a trailer but the rescue went well. It was a great time and I still have many good memories about that adventure. 

I quickly found a correct 34 engine, trans and radiator and had it on the road looking like that for many years. It's at the back of my shop now still waiting for its turn.

Ken

docu0053.jpg

Dad. just got running..jpg

• Like 9

Flat towed my 1931 Dodge Brothers coupe from Detroit, Michigan north through the upper peninsula and west across the US to California with my Dad. He was a chain smoker. MAN, that was a long trip.

1467489_10201964512253365_1450239591_n.jpg

post-37352-143138334008.jpg

post-37352-143142170482.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bills Auto Works said:

Tough angle to unload! @Brass is Best LOL

I have a file in my computer with dozens of pictures showing clowns who call themselves transporters trying to load cars with Junk Cargo Trailers or Being Completely Clueless about classic cars! 😅

Sad thing is....Some of them actually get a small percentage of our car guys to unknowingly pay them to transport their new babies to them! Scary!

I wonder how that Class 8 hauling that Lamborghini trailer ended up like that.   Perhaps a sudden wind shear from a sudden thunderstorm looking at the sky and pavement in the photo?

Coming home from Wisconsin last June, I drove through one hell of a thunderstorm, with repeated tornado warnings on the radio.  Half hour after I was out of it, there were three semis, similar to the one above, all on their sides in the ditch; one the same direction as me, and two opposite.  None of the three were still on all 18 wheels like this one. 

Craig

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

I wonder how that Class 8 hauling that Lamborghini trailer ended up like that.   Perhaps a sudden wind shear from a sudden thunderstorm looking at the sky and pavement in the photo?

Coming home from Wisconsin last June, I drove through one hell of a thunderstorm, with repeated tornado warnings on the radio.  Half hour after I was out of it, there were three semis, similar to the one above, all on their sides in the ditch; one the same direction as me, and two opposite.  None of the three were still on all 18 wheels like this one. 

Craig

We have a big flat area in the Valley I live in here. Locals call it the Copake flats but it extends from Millerton to Hillsdale. I've seen semis on their sides along the route many times from the power of the wind that blows though here at times.

• Like 1

It wasn't mine. And I wish I had some pictures.

Oh so many years ago, two of my (then and now!) best friends went together and bought a 1925 Pierce Arrow (model 33 I think?), big huge seven passenger sedan!

We all lived in the San Francisco Bay Area, the car was at a collector car dealership South of Los Angeles, about four hundred miles each way. Someone had gone to check the car out, and it was a basically solid original car that had spent some time in Mexico. It was running and driving okay, had a bad 1950s paint job, and not so great upholstery that didn't look too bad, provided you didn't look closely.

Car was purchased, arrangements made, they and I going along to help, headed down to get the car. Now, nobody we knew in those days (early 1970s) had a trailer big enough to carry this thing. So we went down hoping to drive the car home, but with ropes and chains and even a rented tow bar just in case! The three of us headed out near midnight in one of their's 1955 Chevrolet Cameo (fiberglass box) half ton pickup.

We arrived at the dealership at about eight in the morning, finding the dealer with the car outside "ready" and waiting for us. He says hello, and then proceeds to say "we wanted to help you out a bit, so we worked on the car some yesterday hoping to make it run better for you!" 

So now, the car which two weeks before could run out and get onto the freeway, could barely make it to the end of the block on a closed street!

Okay. Tow-bar time! Still on the closed street behind the dealership, we turn the Pierce Arrow and the Cameo pickup around so that we are facing the correct direction for driving out, and hook them up. Having spent over an hour there now, we are in the midst of L.A.'s heavy traffic. We pull out of that street, begin turning onto a busy street and quickly find that the Cameo doesn't have a lot of say in where we are going! We only get a couple blocks, and decide that SOMEONE is going to have to ride in the Piece and steer it! I can't remember now who went first. But we all tried each position, with dubious results. Clearly, the issue wasn't us, the Pierce and the Cameo just didn't like being barred together. We finally settled in to who was most willing to handle what (neither one was mine, so I got the passenger seat in the Cameo (giving signals between the drivers)! We drove several miles across town on slower surface streets trying to get used to this big heavy thing, and finally feeling a bit more comfortable, and a stop and discussion, pulled up onto a freeway.

Well. THAT was "interesting"! Seriously? I don't scare easily. To this day I think that was the most frightening few minutes in all my life! We of course tried to stay in the right lane. However interchanges would add lanes to our right and then take lanes away. We had to change lanes over and then back fighting our way to get back into the new "right" lane. Even with me signaling, the two vehicles tied together was extremely sluggish! Cars were constantly shoving their way around us on both sides! We hadn't gone five miles and then it happened. How, (Thank you God!) it happened, I don't know. But the Pierce Arrow decided to change lanes on its own! Somehow, not only was there a newly added lane on our right? IT WAS EMPTY! Wherever it was going on the upcoming interchange, we went that way, and took the next exit.

Discussion time again. The senior partner in our youthful trio had been in the hobby a few more years than the other two of us. And he knew a few people living in the L.A. area. So a few phone calls were made, and a good friend of his who happened to be home that day volunteered his driveway.

As it turned out, in spite of the harrowing experiences so far that morning, it was a good thing that the dealer had messed up the car. We divided up the work, including properly changing the oil. Although we had been assured it was ready to be driven, that oil had obviously NOT been changed in DECADES! So, while I as the one with the most background in electrical tackled the ignition, the other two took care of the pan and oil.

The big model 1925 Pierce Arrow had dual ignition, with two distributors and fully independent systems. Both in TERRIBLE condition. So I sorted through it, bad as it was, and chose the best of all pieces to swap into one system. Both distributor caps were good. But only one rotor was any good at all. Only eight of the twelve wires looked decent. One coil was bad. The dealer had mixed up parts I don't know why? So that both systems were bad enough that one would BARELY run, and the other would not run it at all! 

Once the oil pan and oil was taken care of, and my sorting of the ignition was waiting, we fired her up! What a sweet sound! As a longtime close friend used to say (he passed way too young about ten year ago and wasn't on this adventure), puckity puckity puckity VROOM puckity puckity puckity!

After a bit of discussion, we thanked our good friend for the use of his driveway, and drove on out and to a lube shop. After spending a few hours on the thing's mechanics, we KNEW it needed more lube! Up on the hoist, and the high pressure pumps do their thing! (This is important!!!)

Now, it is nearing late afternoon! And once again, we are on the road and heading North! Remember, none of us had had more than an hour or two sleep in 36 hours! Who drives what is as much a matter of who feels like they CAN drive what for awhile! Mostly, I allow the other two to drive the Pierce Arrow, as it IS their car, while I would take turns driving the Cameo pickup. So one is driving the Pierce, the other two of us are in the Cameo following, and all is going well for quite some distance. I am not thinking of the miles at that point, just enjoying making some distance and talking with my friend. Then the Pierce pulls off the freeway and off to the side of the surface street. We say "He must be getting tired or wanting to check something?" We all get out, and he says "Lost the brakes!" We say "What?" "The Pierce Arrow lost its brakes!"

Shoot.

Always one to dive right into anything, I climb down under the car. Look around a bit and shake a few things. Everything looks to be in order. Then something catches my eye. A clevis arm, on a cross shaft, is in the right place, or IS it? Something doesn't look right. Looking closer, the cross shaft has shifted, and the clevis arm is jambed against something on the chassis. Using a tire iron, I try to pry the cross shaft back into place. It won't budge! Then a light goes off in my head. The high pressure lube machine! Getting a small wrench out of the tool box, I remove the grease fitting on the errant cross shaft, and grease squirts out! Then, again using the tire iron, I pry the shaft back into its proper place with grease squirting out of the fitting hole! Keyways and keys hold the clevis arm in axial direction on the shaft. A rivet was supposed to keep the clevis arm from sliding off the end of the shaft. The high pressure from the grease machine had sheared the rivet and pushed the shaft sideways until the clevis arm came off the key! The fully equalizing brakes with one wheel disconnected effectively caused total service brake failure! With everything back where it belonged, the brakes were now functional again, but how to keep the clevis arm from vibrating off? I'm laying under the car, staring at the shaft and arm wondering how to keep it together? Maybe hose clamps? Bailing wire? (Always a model T'er at heart!) Maybe even tape would be safe enough for  few hundred miles? One of my friends asks "Can you get the rivet out?" I am thinking NOT @@@@ likely!  As he hands me a hammer and a big nail. "Give it a shot!" Lo and behold, It worked. All three sheared pieces of the rivet popped right out with ease!  One large cotter pin through the rivet's holes and we were good to go!

It is beginning to get dark. And I am told it is my turn to drive. We are now only a short few miles from the famous Grapevine! In our discussion, should we try the freeway over the top? Or take the really slower low road? Everybody says to try the freeway, I add in I will make a stop at the bottom for a quick safety check before the climb.

We reach the bottom of the climb, I pull off into a safe spot to do a quick visual check. It is now fully dark! After everything looked good by flashlight, I walk over to the hood, turn the flashlight off, and lifted the hood. The sight to behold was BEAUTIFUL, and frightening! Like a fourth of July light show with lights running all around the ignition wires! I watched for a few seconds, slowly closed the hood. Then got in the car and began driving all the way to the top of the Grapevine! On the freeway! The car was running great!

The rest of the drive up to the San Francisco Bay Area went smoothly. However, the adventure wasn't quite over, yet. All that was Friday night, all day and night Saturday, and the wee hours of Sunday morning. And it just so happened that there was a scheduled Swap Meet that Sunday morning in San Francisco! We were pulling into Hayward, just before sunup! The car was running fine. None of us had had more than a few hours snoozing while riding in 48 hours now! So what are we to do? Drive the Pierce Arrow the forty miles to the Swap Meet of course! We arrived shortly after the gates opened, and the car, and our story, was the hit of the show! 

Frankly, I don't remember much of that day after that. I remember us standing around, retelling the tale over and over again. I know I wandered around the swap and bought a few things for my model T. And, somehow, we got back home again.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 14