What are the Best Looking Prewar FOUR-DOOR Sedans? Custom and Production.

alsancle

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Highly unusual Franklin sedan. Note the splash aprons and split windshield. Body by Walker.

2009-SH_0029.jpeg?time=1673441230

2009-SH_0031.jpeg?time=1673441230

2009-SH_0036.jpeg?time=1673441230

The Franklin Pirate designs executed by Walker based on Dietrich's El Pirata show car probably look better seen in profile where the ungainly flaring of the lower body to cover the frame valance and running boards isn't as obvious.  The rear prow is striking but not attractive.

Only two "Pirate" sedans were built. that rear lower body section was not the same on the 5 or 7 passenger Pirate touring cars which were the standard body shown in the sales material.  Only this sedan had the pointed rear section of the body as well. Car looks much better in person then in photos.  I drove the sedan you see when it was part of the Harrah collection.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Reverting back to my Yiddish they taught me in CCD!

I just verified that expression, so thank you for expanding my knowledge.  You learned that in CCD?  Not my CCD!  You need to add that as a comment to yesterday evening's thread on the ungapatcha 1966 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S that was the forerunner of the Superfly Eldos of the 1970s.

• Like 3

On 1/10/2023 at 5:06 PM, edinmass said:

I just got this car on the road today, purchased from a well known forum user with great taste in cars……..almost went broke buying this one……….the shipping was a killer for 1500 miles. InterCity was asking if I was joking when I dropped it off. To make things more interesting, Florida changed the rules for registration on cars over 30 years old…….but didn’t publish anything on their website……..so it will be three trips to get a plate. I bitched at them so much I got a temporary plate to drive on………look for this one on a show field soon!

1post Vietnam

Come on ED!  A Clark Griswald car?   Pre WWII, not post Vietnam era.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Almost to page five and CORD hasn't been mentioned?

Hey there Bob!

Someone mentioned Cord on page one, but no photos were given.

Me? I always lean toward slightly earlier (or a lot earlier!) cars. One of my all-time favorite production sedans was Buick's master series oval window brougham. 1926/'27 is best, 1928 begins to get a bit swoopy for me. I couldn't find a really good picture after about a half hour with google. But this one isn't too bad. Harvested from a website that I am pretty sure had it misidentified as a 1924, so I won't name them unless asked.

The cars are much more impressive in person than this small picture. Fifty years ago, I knew of three of these cars! Now I haven't seen one up close in over thirty years.

buick-six-master.jpg

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Walt G said:

Only two "Pirate" sedans were built. that rear lower body section was not the same on the 5 or 7 passenger Pirate touring cars which were the standard body shown in the sales material.  Only this sedan had the pointed rear section of the body as well. Car looks much better in person then in photos.  I drove the sedan you see when it was part of the Harrah collection.

I was the driver who took The Walker to the St. John's show that year on behalf of the H.H. FranklinCollection. It is one fabulous car to see and to drive. 

Edited by ericmac
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Some really great looking "cheaper" brands and models,with quite amazing style ,and being not so big have some better proportions, interesting to me is that in 1934 even the cheapest of cars are all fantastic looking

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

2 hours ago, PFindlay said:

For a twenties sedan, I like the looks of my Auburn.

I love that Auburn also! There are a lot of sedans in the 1924 through 1927 years that I like a lot! Rickenbacker built some incredible cars those years, as did Paige. Most of the higher side medium priced manufacturers, Hudson, Nash, and a couple dozen lesser-known cars all built a number of well proportioned club sedans and others with what I consider great looks!

My longtime friend's 1925 Lincoln seven passenger sedan was great! But I knew several people that had 1925 or 1926 Lincoln club sedans or Berlines. For style proportions, those club sedans were gorgeous! One sad story. About thirty years ago, a wonderful friend had been chasing a Lincoln Berline for almost twenty years. Wonderful person, very overweight. The car finally became available, and he bought it! Only to die from a sudden heart attack before he could take delivery. It was so very sad, he wasn't even 50 yet. He was so excited about getting the car he had wanted, and he never got it home. Another longtime good friend bought the Lincoln Berline from his estate, and owns it to this day!

A Berline is supposed to have a divider window. However, and I don't know really why? (I think a few people were misinformed?) But a few people I have known have had Lincolns or other club sedans without a divider window, that they were insistent had to be called a "Berline". I guess whatever makes one happy. And, I wonder? If it does have a divider window? Can it be called a sedan?

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

A Berline is supposed to have a divider window. However, and I don't know really why? (I think a few people were misinformed?) But a few people I have known have had Lincolns or other club sedans without a divider window, that they were insistent had to be called a "Berline". I guess whatever makes one happy. And, I wonder? If it does have a divider window? Can it be called a sedan?

I know the French used the term 'berline' to indicate a car that had a divider window.  In North America, the term, 'limousine' is generally used, even for a 5/6-passenger car.   Studebaker offered one in 1935.  Studebaker did label it the 'Berline', although their description in the advertising stated it was a 5-passenger limousine.  It was designated the M-body in the body style listings because of the divider window, different front and rear seat coverings, and extra door lock for the rear door.   (Regular 4-door sedan was the W-body) 

In later years, Continental also offered a 6-passenger limousine with divider window that was modified by Hess & Eisenhardt in 1959 & '60.

Craig