paint cost range

tcslr

24 minutes ago, dl456 said:

I’m enjoying resurrecting crusty originals more than restoration these days

Dennis

I generally agree, but I tore my Model T apart to redo because it was painted a white color with white vinyl upholstery in the 60's.  Way too ugly.  Going to go back to the original(as close as can be) midnight blue with black fenders along with black upholstery.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I made a thread on another forum about how a diy guy (myself) can paint a car with decent results for less than 3k! Thats about what I have into my black car. It is more like 4 or 5thou now with inflation. I got a lot of positive responses but one particular fellow that owned a body shop kept flaming me so I pretty much just walked away from there. I wasnt trying to undercut anyone, take any bread off of anybodys table, or put a pro's work down. Just trying to make a point that one doesnt need a 25k paint job to enjoy a car. I still stand by that a car can be painted relatively cheaply and still be a looker. If you have the means for a high end job then all the more power to you.

I bought black paint from one mail order source that was about $100 a gallon with hardeners etc. For my car it takes a gallon. I got the clear from a local paint supplier and it was about $150 a gallon with all the good stuff. When I painted my TATA I got silver and grey paint online from a different source for less than $500. I went back to the same auto paint supplier locally and the clear was about $200. 

When I painted my black car I bought a decent Iwata spray gun that was around $400. A good pro gun will set you back at least $1000. but this one was great for all the more I paint. With epoxy primer, build up primer, paint and clear I was all in for around 1k. I bought a decent buffer for around $200, again not top of the line but good for limited use. The pads and polishes were one of the more expensive things I got. I think I spent about $500 on that stuff. Throw in another $100 or so for sandpaper, $100 for gun cleaner, some tac rags, one time inline air filter and that was about it.

When I did the silver car, most of the big items I had leftover from the black car, spray gun, buffer, sand paper, polishing compounds etc. So that part of the cost went way down.

My black car has been on the road for 6 yrs now and still looks great, IMO, lol. I have yet to get the silver one out but hopefully that will change this spring. My paint job is not the best, but I have to say I have seen worse. I am not ashamed at all to tell anyone I painted it in my garage at home.

28536897748_53a814aac6_c.jpg2018-05-28_10-41-20 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

48799434372_ef0b7d8ed7_c.jpg2019-09-26_12-15-50 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

• Like 17

On 12/26/2022 at 11:06 AM, TAKerry said:

When I painted my black car I bought a decent Iwata spray gun that was around $400. A good pro gun will set you back at least $1000.

It ain't the tools that make the job it's the guy using them. I'll put my old Binks #7's, in the right hands, up against any of the "gee whiz high zoot" big bucks guns...............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 2

When I purchased my paint,clear,gun and all the other stuff needed, I spent about $1400. That’s for 2 gallons each paint and clear. The color is Chevy super red. It’s not a metallic. I’m proud that I did all the bodywork, priming, sanding and paint. A friend stopped by and said he has seen lots worse from professional shops. I did have a couple of runs that I will deal with this coming spring. Mike

I am not a paint guy but when I could not find any shop that would paint my 38 after I wrecked it I did it the ultimate cheap way. I found an auto paint store that matched the paint on my car from a panel I brought to them. They provided six cans of spray paint from what they mixed to match. Cost was just over $125 

it may not be perfect but it sure is when I’m driving it down the road or to Hershey. 
dave s 

837EBD08-382E-40DD-A39C-1077E2D7805B.jpeg

15BB5F5E-1EFA-422D-9196-7740361897EA.jpeg

6115A688-7BC9-401D-9E71-ABAD9AF25EA0.jpeg

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 12

Not all automotive paint companies charge more for red. Of course they do this by averaging the cost of all colors together.;)

• Haha 1

I tried to paint a car once back about 1985. It looked so bad I took it to a local body shop for a re-do and told them my brother-in-law did it. 

I have a hotrodder neighbor that is a very skillful person. He painted his Model A with Rustoleum, which he thinned and sprayed, followed by color sand and buff. It really looks nice! 

On 12/24/2022 at 2:45 PM, GARY F said:

I would say white.

White is probably one of the harder colors to match (right up there with silver and the million shades of black). 

Sidenote to a contested topic:  And then you can paint your pre WWII car or .. white to take a huge beating on its price and sale-abillity 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

I like Acrylic Enamal with hardener.   Enough hardener and I can sand and buff the waterfalls out the next day.

Same applies to orange peel, dust, bugs and drips.   However I remember the lacquer jobs as a young hobbiest 

it worked the same way and was cheaper.    Everything was back then.

• Like 4

Is this an auction? I'll give $50 if it is acrylic lacquer. :D  I might have to up that  bid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1