1970 Oldsmobile Toronado GT W34

Welcome to my once a month I found something I think is pretty cool.    Everybody here know what a W34 Toronado is?   It is the one you want to buy.

I wonder if the guy flipping it knows what it is?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Oldsmobile-Toronado-/115621794826

About this vehicle

This 1970 Oldsmobile Toronado is an original. The owner has had it for 1 year. The vehicle runs great.

Seller's Notes

Definitely needs some metal fabrication, not as much as most, please view pics.

Vehicle Details

Drives and runs great, however, needs a brake booster.

Exterior

The crown jewel is the engine and transmission! Shifts smoothly and engine runs strong !! True dual through bumper exhaust! Only a little over 5300 produced ! UNBELIEVABLY, doors shut solid, no sagging whatsoever! Will come with additional parts that were going to be a part of the restoration.

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/KQoAAOSwftRjhrIh/$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/3acAAOSw1PljhrIl/$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/UuwAAOSwonpjhrIu/$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMDQz/z/gt4AAOSwnf5jhrIU/$_57.JPG?set_id=8800005007

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TexRiv_63 said:

Cool rare car that few are aware of. Pretty rough, you have to love Toros to spend the money to restore since you won't get it back later.

I think it was originally black? Or black

You are correct, I will not be the one spending the money. But if anybody is bothering with a tornado, this is the one to bother with.

• Like 2

In my humble opinion, the '70 was not nearly as attractive as the '66 and '67.  The '68 and '69 also had the W-34 option (400 hp, 500 ft. lbs. of torque), but it wasn't called a GT.  GM should not have allowed vinyl tops on the '66-'70 Toronado, Riviera and Eldorado.

Muscle Cars You Should Know: Oldsmobile Toronado W-34 (streetmusclemag.com)

• Like 4

Here is a good description of the W34 package in 1970.   Reminds me of the Drag Pak option with Ford that was not much money but you got quite a bit of performance upgrades.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/05/14/the-1970-oldsmobile-toronado-gt-was-the-last-of-a-breed

The W34 Toronado GT Package of 1970 reinforced how effectively the outgoing design could deftly meld muscle car power and styling cues with plush surroundings. For just $47.39, the W34 included a 400-hp 455 with a more aggressive camshaft and bigger intake valves than the standard 375-hp 455, and its dual exhaust poked its tips through cutouts in the rear bumper. The three-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic and torque converter were tweaked, and a “Toronado GT” hood emblem and paint stripes highlighting the wheel openings were included.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AJ, I happen to have a 1968 W-34, they only made a 111 of those.  The  number made in 1969 is still under debate.  They made a lot of 1970 w-34 that they called a GT.  I really do not think the Gt is much of a different animal, a badge and some pinstripes. Notice my car does not have a vinyl top

D8DDFF40-8D3B-40A1-B149-FB865BF3CF99.jpeg

6473FD33-06CA-4EA7-A7AE-E32AEC584D3A.jpeg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, ramair said:

AJ, I happen to have a 1968 W-34, they only made a 111 of those.  The  number made in 1969 is still under debate.  They made a lot of 1970 w-34 that they called a GT.  I really do not think the Gt is much of a different animal, a badge and some pinstripes. Notice my car does not have a vinyl top

Cool Michael!  I Need to visit and go for a ride.  By the way, you are the reason I know about these.

I think that the GT implies W 34 in 1970? No?

With the W 34 gives you get the upgraded engine which I guess is the whole point. You can distinguish by the transmission code I believe maybe somebody needs to ask eBay seller to post the transmission code? He doesn’t look to be the most astute seller I have ever seen.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

Cool Michael!  I Need to visit and go for a ride.  By the way, you are the reason I know about these.

I think that the GT implies W 34 in 1970? No?

With the W 34 gives you get the upgraded engine which I guess is the whole point. You can distinguish by the transmission code I believe maybe somebody needs to ask eBay seller to post the transmission code? He doesn’t look to be the most astute seller I have ever seen.

No matter what Toronado’s made killer demo derby cars back in the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, edited by John Gunnell states that only seven percent of 1970 Toronadoes were equipped with bucket seats.  Of the 25,433 Toronadoes that year, only ~1,780 had bucket seats.  Those GT's with the bucket seats but without vinyl tops would be the most desirable now...maybe 20 cars altogether... 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I was on the prowl for a W 34 bucket seat car for years. They don’t really exist.

I did check out a well-used '70 Toronado with bucket seats about forty years ago, but it wasn't a GT.  Still should have bought it just for the bucket seats.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Is this what constitutes bucket seats in a Toronado?  Or is this a split bench?  Picture from a 70 W34 car that was on Barn Finds years ago.

1970-ToronadoGT5-630x354.jpg

Split Strato Bench for sure.   This is what I had in all of my Toronados.  I have owned 3 1966 or 1967.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Is this what constitutes bucket seats in a Toronado?  Or is this a split bench?  Picture from a 70 W34 car that was on Barn Finds years ago.

1970-ToronadoGT5-630x354.jpg

A.J.:

Apparently, that is the standard front seating, shown in this brochure image.  "Individual Strato bucket seats are available with a sport console between, if you wish".  is only noted on this page from the prestige brochure in the upper left corner but without an image. 

Unfortunately, I can't transfer that memory image I have of those in that well-worn '70 Toronado seen 40 years ago...but the description confirms faded memory.

Steve

'70 Oldsmobile Full Line Prestige (10-69)-22-23 - crop b.jpg

'70 Oldsmobile Full Line Prestige (10-69)-22-23 - crop a.jpg

• Thanks 1

The standard seat was an all-vinyl bench.  There might be exceptions I'm unaware of with the Riviera, but the standard interior on the '66-'70 Toronado did not have a fold-down center armrest.  Since these were considered luxury cars, most ordered the optional interior.  Pictured are '67 and '69 standard interiors.  Bucket seats are uncommon on the Toronado, but were available all years from '66-'70.  If the seat back resembles the seat back of a bucket seat, then it's the optional interior.

image.png.97a3f8561ab5ae862f1b3d94eceb57cc.pngimage.png.69b61ee2bab87171752aa2e3d0ef783a.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ramair said:

This is simply a beautiful auto. Not sure I have seen one exactly like this. Dare I ask.....where are the headlight?

As for bucket seats, theyre overrated. I had a 72 Gran Torino with a bench seat when I was young and on the prowell. Much better than a centre console!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

AJ, the 1968 w-34 package came with a different shift point transmission the tag on the turbo 425 trans can be seen just under engine by left front fender, w-34 code is OM, sometimes these transmissions were changed out or the tag could come off. I was lucky as I am the second owner of a car delivered new in Santa Barbara and garage kept.  I can honestly say a zero rust car, a lot of the undercarriage was not painted at the factory and today those parts look like stainless steel.  The transmission housing is clean of grease or dirt and you can see a factory marking with a grease pencil the letters OM.  If the tag is gone there are other clues, the left front fender has a hole cut on the inboard side to accept force air ductwork, this is the only year that the factory did this, most 68 toro’s have the hole but the hose is missing.  Because of air hose a new smaller windshield washer reservoir was installed in an offset position.  The radiator has a special vacuum switch that opens the front headlight grilles to pull in more air to cool engine.  Also the regular Toro comes with single exhaust but the W-34 has duals along with a special rear bumper that is notched. These are all the things you can see, the things you can’t see is the .472 lift cam shaft the special distributor with a whole different advance weights and springs. As stated by others the bucket seat option was not checked very often. The W-34 option for 1968 was $210.00.  My first car was a 1968 W-34 that I bought in 1975 when I was a junior in high school, I did not really know what I had until years after I sold it.  I have personally looked at 12 of the 111 that exist, only one had bucket seats and a console, it was white with black interior. I included a picture of a story board that my talented artistic daughter put together along with the factory announcement to the dealers about the package availability 

ABA14A22-54F7-4A47-A9EC-18EAC6B5E308.jpeg

C8A2D13D-26D7-42C1-B4CB-D57F0D983C36.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/30/2022 at 9:06 PM, alsancle said:

Here is a good description of the W34 package in 1970.   Reminds me of the Drag Pak option with Ford that was not much money but you got quite a bit of performance upgrades.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/05/14/the-1970-oldsmobile-toronado-gt-was-the-last-of-a-breed

The W34 Toronado GT Package of 1970 reinforced how effectively the outgoing design could deftly meld muscle car power and styling cues with plush surroundings. For just $47.39, the W34 included a 400-hp 455 with a more aggressive camshaft and bigger intake valves than the standard 375-hp 455, and its dual exhaust poked its tips through cutouts in the rear bumper. The three-speed Turbo Hydra-Matic and torque converter were tweaked, and a “Toronado GT” hood emblem and paint stripes highlighting the wheel openings were included.

I have a friend with one of these fully restored. Great car.

Beautiful!  '68 has always been my favorite year for these (followed by '66).

D8DDFF40-8D3B-40A1-B149-FB865BF3CF99.jpe

If I had the money & space I'd love to have a '68 Toronado and '68 Eldorado to go with my '67 Riviera.  And I also like these sans the vinyl roof; though I'd consider it on the Eldorado...  ;)

• Like 1

B jake Moran, if you look above you will see a picture of my story board, in the center section there is a picture of the engine with the cold air induction hose and duct work. Not as impressive looking from under the hood nor on the exterior of car as you can’t see it. We are so use to seeing those air intake hoses now but in 1968 it was unusual. One thing I should mention is, the W-34 performance is amazing especially since it is a 4,500 pound car. Road and track tested one of the 111 cars produced and it did 0 to 60 in a hair over 8 seconds. Back when I had my first one in high school class mates that would have  the hot cars would come up along side of me at the stoplight , they would roll down their window and say something like hey how does it feel driving mommas car.  When the light turned green I would asphyxiate them with the smoke off my front wheels and scare the hell out of them with a tire squeal which only can be produced when there is thousands of pounds of weight pushing down on them along with 400 hp and 500 pounds of torque turning them.  I will try to get some under hood pictures latter today. Below is a picture of the original interior, the exterior pictures I posted earlier show the car the way it was born with its 50 year old magic mirror lacquer paint in ocean turquoise 

C133B354-2828-4326-81F2-6F842DE2F2ED.jpeg

• Like 2

AJ, that Cadillac must have had the 472 engine, great motor. I have owned at least 10 Toronado’s and all the early ones would do a decent burn out from a dead stop, I think what gave the W-34 an ability to not only destroy tires from a standing start but allowed it to burn out by just tromping that huge gas pedal to the floor when traveling less than 10 mph was the special torque converter along with cam, valves and distributor

• Like 1

All 66 and 67 bucket seat cars were column shift. The console box was another option. The 68-70 had the console floor shifter option. Ive only seen one 70 with bucket seats and column shift. I traded it to a friend in MI as he had been looking for one forever. It was a factory race car practically. Manual bucket seats, crank windows, no AC, GT plain Jane. Story that came with the car was it was a brass hat car that a higher up ordered to drag race with. 

• Like 1

Of course if you want to really screw up the tires that’s all you have to do is push on the emergency brake, 

• Haha 1

AJ, next year when you come over to Pebble, you can relive your youth and do a few burn outs in my 68

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ramair said:

AJ, next year when you come over to Pebble, you can relive your youth and do a few burn outs in my 68

AJ!  I hope you are watching!  Now there is an offer that can't be refused!!!  Ask RamAir if you can drive it like you stole it too!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

So my pictures disappeared but I believe this is the car that started this thread.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Oldsmobile-Toronado-/126003277243

1970 Oldsmobile Toronado Gt - W34 package. 455 rocket, front wheel drive. Fires right up, transmission shifts smoothly. Needs master cylinder or brake booster, otherwise driveable. Less than 5500 built. Doors shut solid, rocker panels are solid. In my opinion has minimal rust. Definitely worth restoring. Has original spare and air condition unit along with many extra parts as shown in pictures. No READONABLE offer refused.

1970 Oldsmobile Toronado - Picture 1 of 24

1970 Oldsmobile Toronado - Picture 3 of 24

1970 Oldsmobile Toronado - Picture 10 of 24

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

The later nose isn't as slick as 66, 67 but not horrible.  When was the  w-34 option initially available?

I believe 68-70.   With 68 being the low production year.   The high lift cam makes a nice sound.

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I believe 68-70.   With 68 being the low production year.   The high lift cam makes a nice sound.

Does make a sweet rumble..😁.
Wanted to always ask, can you get a posi with the front wheel drive?

Edited by bubu1 (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, bubu1 said:

Does make a sweet rumble..😁.
Wanted to always ask, can you get a posi with the front wheel drive?

I can tell you from experience when I was 16 years old. Eldorado, not Toronado, if you floor it, both wheels light up.

• Haha 3