Pre-War car celebrity model names

Leif in Calif

There's a  Studebaker Rockne over on the "Not Mine" forum. It's named for Notre Dame's football coach. In the same period, there was the Marmon Roosevelt, which had Teddy's picture on the front. Were there any other similarly named cars? Obviously Lincoln was named for the president (wasn't it?) and you could kind of count Rickenbacker, since even though he was involved, the only reason it was named that was his celebrity. 

Good topic!    Lasalle, Cadillac, Desoto, Marquette, Lafayette, Pontiac, Lincoln, Tesla, Chrysler had a Frank Sinatra trim package in the 80's, Mercury is fictional. 

All named after people who were not the founder of the company.  Edsel fits this category.   Franklin was named after the founder 

Edited by Tom Boehm (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

and you could kind of count Rickenbacker, since even though he was involved, the only reason it was named that was his celebrity. 

People today vastly underestimate the status of Capt Eddie as a celebrity.

After all, Rickenbacker Motor's tag line was "A Car Worthy of It's Name"

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

Obviously Lincoln was named for the president (wasn't it?) and you could kind of count Rickenbacker, since even though he was involved, the only reason it was named that was his celebrity. 

Odd that you picked Veterans Day to post your opinion of this World War One Ace. 

Bob 

11 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

In 1936. Studebaker had a model called a "Dictator" and had to drop the model name a few years later because of Germany's Dictator.   Anybidy know what they change that model into?

I'm sure the Chevrolet Confederate Coupes were slow sellers up North in the early 1930's. 

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

In 1936. Studebaker had a model called a "Dictator" and had to drop the model name a few years later because of Germany's Dictator.   Anybidy know what they change that model into?

Commander?

I dont think that Ford, Chevrolet, Mercedes etc. fit into the original intent of the op's question. I see it more as a known manufacturer naming a car after a contemporary celebrity. The Eddie Bauer model is close, but not really the same as a 'Rockne'. I would have assumed that the Rockne was named after a beloved person of the day as a tribute, whilst the Eddie Bauer (and to a lesser extent Cartier) may have been 'bought' naming rights.

2 hours ago, zepher said:

People today vastly underestimate the status of Capt Eddie as a celebrity.

After all, Rickenbacker Motor's tag line was "A Car Worthy of It's Name"

By far the most fascinating biography I very read was Rickenbacker! What a fantastic life that guy had!  

3 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

By far the most fascinating biography I very read was Rickenbacker! What a fantastic life that guy had!  

He led an amazing life.

Capt Eddie had enough life experiences for 3 lifetimes.

I am fortunate enough to have a singed copy of Capt Eddie's autobiography.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 12:39 PM, bryankazmer said:

Goddess of the hunt, associated with the moon.  Greek version is Artemis.

Yep, Romans tended to appropriate Greek gods.  As you say, she also was goddess of the moon, hence the connection to the car.  And she was goddess of fertility and childbirth, ironic since she was considered to be a virgin.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, 8E45E said:

It was called the 'Director' in most European markets:  1929 Studebaker Direktor sechs sales folder | eBay

Craig

I was introduced to the Studebaker Dictator on thw 1987 Great American Race when George Reitenour raced a beautiful red and silver one

Disneylant to Disneyworld. Here is a link to Hemming's Motor News story about the Studebaker Dictator.,  Google them, there are many of

them for sale now.  All 3 window coupes.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALiCzsamBatBKF8_NcMPO1csw-1B9gFMHQ:1668282658868&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I was introduced to the Studebaker Dictator on thw 1987 Great American Race when George Reitenour raced a beautiful red and silver one

Disneylant to Disneyworld. Here is a link to Hemming's Motor News story about the Studebaker Dictator.,  Google them, there are many of

them for sale now.  All 3 window coupes.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALiCzsamBatBKF8_NcMPO1csw-1B9gFMHQ:1668282658868&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=

Before the Fascist connotation, the original Roman office was very noble - a person given absolute power for a limited time to solve a crisis.  Cincinnatus and Fabius Maximus were Dictators.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

Before the Fascist connotation, the original Roman office was very noble - a person given absolute power for a limited time to solve a crisis.  Cincinnatus and Fabius Maximus were Dictators.

That is correct.

Here is my 1935 Dictator radio.  (Manufactured by Electrohome, and sold under the 'Dictator' label by Hudson's Bay department store.)IMG_1359.JPG.27c64526b40047b5b35e7d9d18ed9359.JPG

Craig

I didn't mean to start a diacussion of Dictatoes and Tyrants, I tried to post a link to Hemming's Motor News, article on the Studebaker Dictator.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1936-studebaker-dictator-business-coupe

Any other link was a Computer mistake, I apologize.

I like this topic so here is all the names mentioned in this thread so far:     These are cars named after a celebrity who did not have anything to do with founding the company or designing the car. Most are pre WWII. A few like Mercedes and Goggomobile are not well known celebrities but relatives of the founder. I included Edsel. Edsel Ford was dead by the time the car came out and they named it in his honor. Was Louis Chevrolet involved in founding the company or did Durant just use his name?

Rockne,   Roosevelt,   Lincoln,   Rickenbacker,   Mercedes,   Washington,   Grant,   Lasalle,   Cadillac,   Marquette,   Lafayette,   Pontiac,   Tesla,   Sinatra Edition Chrysler,  Edsel,   Eddie Bauer Ford trucks,   Daniel Boone,   Daimler Docker,   Goggomobile.                Diana,   Mercury,   and  Minerva are Greek/Roman gods/goddesses. 

I find The Marquette name interesting. Like Lasalle, Cadillac, and Desoto, Marquette was a French explorer of North America. He was also a missionary. This is probably the only car named after a Catholic Priest ! 

Along those lines, There is also the Wills Sainte Claire and the Dodge St. Regis to include in the above list. 

6 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

I didn't mean to start a diacussion of Dictatoes and Tyrants, I tried to post a link to Hemming's Motor News, article on the Studebaker Dictator.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1936-studebaker-dictator-business-coupe

Any other link was a Computer mistake, I apologize.

I was making a statement to emphasize the term 'Dictator' did NOT always have the bad connotations it received in the mid-1930's in Europe.

Same with the Swastika.  It was actually a stamp-of-approval for many cast iron fittings and used other consumer products until the 1920's.  A notable example:

18_KRIT_1.jpg

18_KRIT_2.jpg

• Thanks 1

St. Regis was also a Jesuit Catholic Priest like Marquette. St. Claire was a catholic nun in the middle ages. It is a possibility that these cars were not named after saints directly. The Dodge St. Regis was probably named after the hotel and the Wills Sainte Claire could have been named after the St. Clair River or Lake St. Clair in Michigan.