Crankshaft Magazine fifth issue (# E) start of new year if initial subscriber have you renewed yet?

SC38dls

https://www.crankshaftmagazine.com

I was just emailing back and forth with Richard regarding renewing my subscription. He mentioned issue No.5 will be out soon. As an old circulation guy I just want to remind you if you subscribed when he first started the magazine a year or so ago your sub expired with #4 so you may want to check your emails and even your junk folder to see if you missed a notice. You certainly don’t want to miss an actual issue and especially Walt’s historical stories that may be in #5 

Just a reminder so we all keep informed. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Part 2 of the history of Willoughby coach builders, Utica, NY  will be in issue #5 . Future issues will see my story and period images and photographs of the styling transition /changes in the WWI to WWII era for all makes of cars , Locomobile styling and design history 1914 to 1930, just so much visual material that has not been seen since it was new pre 1950 . American car sales in Europe and European car sales here all well illustrated  will be forthcoming as well

Waltl.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@SC38dls I am a newbie to AACA and just became a member June 2,2022, I am going to renew soon, would I be eligible for Crankshaft # 5? or is that a separate item to sign up and pay for? I would love to see the article from Walt G. Also how can a person get past articles of the Crankshaft?

Thank You in Advance,

Bob

9 hours ago, NailheadBob said:

@SC38dls I am a newbie to AACA and just became a member June 2,2022, I am going to renew soon, would I be eligible for Crankshaft # 5? or is that a separate item to sign up and pay for? I would love to see the article from Walt G. Also how can a person get past articles of the Crankshaft?

Thank You in Advance,

Bob

Crankshaft is a magazine that has nothing to do with the AACA other than its about old cars and a few members here submit articles (for all I know the publisher may also be a member). It is written very well, and presented very well. Very few ads, printed on heavy stock. Its a bit pricey but imo worth the cost for the amount of content.

I too got the email the other day and promptly ordered another round as well as purchased a year for my brother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The publisher and Editor of Crankshaft magazine is Richard Lentinello who is an AACA member and if you look on the ballot who is running for the AACA national board that you vote on his name is there as well as a candidate.

22 hours ago, Walt G said:

Part 2 of the history of Willoughby coach builders, Utica, NY  will be in issue #5 . Future issues will see my story and period images and photographs of the styling transition /changes in the WWI to WWII era for all makes of cars , Locomobile styling and design history 1914 to 1930, just so much visual material that has not been seen since it was new pre 1950 . American car sales in Europe and European car sales here all well illustrated  will be forthcoming as well

Waltl.

Looking forward to part two covering the Willoughby coach builders. :) 

Just out of curiousity, are there discussions for continued coverage of other coach builders in future issues?

I ask because I believe this is the type of publication that can truly make it's mark with continued coverage on the many coach builders of the era and has the potential to draw future generations who have a passion for studying the builders of the era for both historical and design factors that may be otherwise hidden (the more exposure the better). Just a thought as I'm sure it would put more on your plate than you already have. 

As a side note...  I like the fact Rich gives us a very simple and straight forward approach to renew along with an option to go back and start with issue #1 without flooding us with spam.

For those that didn't subscribe last year you won't regret it if you do go back and start with issue #1. Very well done and nothing like some of the over commercialized publications you may have been used to in the past.

I will continue to offer up discussions/history of coach builders for Crankshaft, both for luxury cars and all others ( hope for some commercial cars too) I have so much information, photos, etc on this, all pre WWII era. Have collected this for 60 years - it is why I started the "period Images" thread , all this stuff sitting in peoples collections needs to be out here so we all can enjoy the view...............and it makes us appreciate and think about what was and how it influenced design and styling in an era before vehicles were designed by computer and french curves, slide rules, ellipse templates and pencils and erasers reigned.  Yes, I am old fashioned and a sentimentalist but a few people put up with my eccentricities . My cardiologist confirmed a few days ago that I will remain vertical for a while yet.

• Like 3

If you subscribe or renew today you can say what issue you want your sub to start. At least I was able to do that. I’ve been told there are a very limited number of issues 1-4 that may be available for purchase also but check on line or with Richard thru the website. I’ve been in the publishing world for 45+ years working with all kinds of pubs and this magazine is the best presented and featured articles along with being one of the best run for subscriber communications. You ask a question you get an answer and they like AACA go out of the way to help you. 
dave s 

reminder the AACA renewals are also due asap if you want the Jan issue of the club magazine. 
All this renewal stuff makes me think I’m still working in the fulfillment industry instead of being retired lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Crankshaft E-Magazine #5 - out soon

Yes it is a high quality publication. The only one I now read cover to cover. The good news is it’s not packed with foreign cars like another classic car publication that I will not be renewing.

Edited by Den41Buick (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Den41Buick said:

The good news is it’s not packed with foreign cars like another classic car publication that I will not be renewing.

I find your statement odd. In looking at the website and Facebook page for this magazine the current issue pictured (#4) has about 50% foreign car articles listed on the front cover. The first issue has about 25% according the the cover. The pictures on the website and other sources show 25% or more foreign cars. 

If I am thinking of the same magazine you are complaining about, Crankshaft has the same number, if not more, articles about foreign cars. 

My two cents........

Time and money are two commodities to be spent wisely. Things that I used to allocate Time and money towards, I am reevaluating so that I can simplify my life. Regarding Crankshaft, I am an original subscriber and have the first four issues. I consider it a good investment of both my time and money, and while I might be cutting back on some other things that don’t bring me much value, I intend to maintain my subscription to this publication. I have really enjoyed it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Den41Buick said:

The good news is it’s not packed with foreign cars like another classic car publication that I will not be renewing.

ia-k said:

I find your statement odd. In looking at the website and Facebook page for this magazine the current issue pictured (#4) has about 50% foreign car articles listed on the front cover. The first issue has about 25% according the the cover. The pictures on the website and other sources show 25% or more foreign cars. 

If I am thinking of the same magazine you are complaining about, Crankshaft has the same number, if not more, articles about foreign cars. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Crankshaft is a very professional publicaion edited by Richard Lentinello, a long term and knowledgeable automotive journalist. I subscribed for the first four issues but opted to not continue my subsctiption. I have no interest, knowledge, or experience with foreign cars, vintage or otherwise.  I was a 20+ year subscriber to Hemming's Classic Car Magazine until  Richard (then editor for Hemmings) started including foreign cars when their stand-alone foreign car magazine failed. I could not justify my continued subscription to either publication when half of the content went unread. If you can relate to classic foreign vehicles as well as domestic, then Crankshaft is the magazine for you.

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

Still nobody can say what era is covered, if it is a post 1980 car lot publication please say so. 

No, it is not a post 1980 cars magazine. If any of the four previous issues covered any post 1980 cars I don't remember them. If you checked out the link in the first post, you would have a better idea of the types of cars that the magazine covers: https://www.crankshaftmagazine.com/

• Like 1

1937hd45

why not check out the website for yourself. It is a mix of domestic & foreign cars. I’ve personally enjoyed the few postwar articles and most of the prewar articles. I feel it is more prewar but that just may be I avoid the muscle car and newer stories. Here’s the web site

https://www.crankshaftmagazine.com/

Hope that helps. It really is a good magazine. 
dave s 

• Thanks 1

I think if one likes antique cars they should enjoy this magazine. If I recall correctly there are cars from the beginning up to the 80's. And everything in between. I am more 'in tune' with 60's-70's cars and would hate to see that genre excluded. I do however reading about a car that I had no idea existed that was made in 1920. Foreign car or not I dont care, I like them all. As much as I like muscle cars its refreshing looking at a magazine that is not heavily Mustang, Camaro, Mopar.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 3:29 PM, 1937hd45 said:

Still nobody can say what era is covered, if it is a post 1980 car lot publication please say so. 

Classic era

No modern junk. It's the ONLY Classic era mag I subscribe to. Extremely well written. Photos are tops. I highly recommend it. Each article is an original. Not some syndicated reprint of an article written by someone who does the gardening column the next day. Richard is a Csr Guy 100%, a strong AACA supporter and a fellow Zenith judge. It's one of my favorites.

Terry

You'll be hearing more from him in the future I'm sure.

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just received issue # 5 in the mail today, and friends in South Carolina and Dutchess County , NY ( just north of NY City)  have had theirs for at least a day or two.

Those of you who were wondering where it was - IT IS HERE at least in some places. Like previous issues it will take some time to get through , lots of pages, lots of stories and images and pictures.

Walt

• Like 3

Unfortunately this is a traditional usps time of year for slow delivery. The Xmas card mail is down but still causes extra workload for them. Plus all the days off builds more pressure. It will come. Santa just had to rest a while. 
dave s 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received my copy. Just as with issues 1-4 it is exceptionally high quality and is well worth the investment of time and money. I have thoroughly enjoyed what I have read of it it. I tend to be a cover-to-cover reader and have not been disappointed thus far.  To me the real trick of a car magazine is to pique my interest in a car that would otherwise generate a "meh" reaction from me. Crankshaft does this very well. I encourage you all to give it a try.

Edited by ericmac
Clarification (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I read mine almost immediately.  Went looking for it and couldn't find it - but turns out Sue was reading it.  I read it a second tlime eventually, and will probably go back to it this weekend to re-read some of the articles I skimmed through too quickly.   Without doubt, one of the highest quality pubs I''ve seen.  Highly recommend you give it a try!  I just wish there was a brass era counterpart! 

Terry

• Like 1

No, because I'm in Canada.  One usually must allow an extra couple of weeks for it to arrive to a Canadian address.  I just hope it's in one piece and not all bent, twisted and destroyed by our post office by the time it arrives.

Craig

I think some people further out than myself have gotten theirs, but honestly I dont think that geography has a lot to do with it. Good to know you get it later in the Great White North. I bought my brother (in Canada) a subscription as well and was about to ask if he has his yet.

3 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

The topic title implies its an e-magazine.

When I goto their site I only see printed.

Have I missed something?

Peter. My error, never noticed my fat fingers messed it up. I will change it if I still can or you can. My main reason for posting it was I never received a renewal notice. Being in the circulation business for over 45 years and Literally hundreds of magazines I was worried I wouldn’t be the only one to miss renewing the pub at the end of my 4th issue. The E was based on the letters used for each one A-D were the original year’s subscription so E was the fifth issue and each subscription is for 4 issues. 
dave s 

• SC38dls changed the title to Crankshaft Magazine fifth issue (# E) start of new year if initial subscriber have you renewed yet?
44 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Peter. My error, never noticed my fat fingers messed it up. I will change it if I still can or you can. My main reason for posting it was I never received a renewal notice. Being in the circulation business for over 45 years and Literally hundreds of magazines I was worried I wouldn’t be the only one to miss renewing the pub at the end of my 4th issue. The E was based on the letters used for each one A-D were the original year’s subscription so E was the fifth issue and each subscription is for 4 issues. 
dave s 

Would it not be best to got directly to the publisher to ask?

On 12/26/2022 at 8:52 AM, SC38dls said:

Unfortunately this is a traditional usps time of year for slow delivery. The Xmas card mail is down but still causes extra workload for them. Plus all the days off builds more pressure. It will come. Santa just had to rest a while. 
dave s 

Don't forget the problems with the airline schedules. The PO is heavily dependent on reliable commercial airline scheduling.

• Thanks 1