Roof visor rare ??

Keeferishere

I'm acquiring this old Oldsmobile and curious how rare the roof visor is. It is acrylic blue. I was hoping the car would have been better but with this visor i will definitely be saving it now, so why not haha. (have a 46 chevy parts car at home)  

It says "The Canadian Vision Visor Co" stamped on it

Also if you know what year it is. I was told 47 but I'm leaning to 49-51.  I will have to look at the vin tag at a later date. 

Thank you

Keith20220929_121619.jpg.681a009ac402968534061b432140d246.jpg1907458527_Screenshot_20220929-165946_VideoPlayer.jpg.760f7cd6f014426012e66bcda8bf3536.jpg250508958_Screenshot_20220929-165732_VideoPlayer.jpg.a2c47768ad70d371491d9e09cfe4fa25.jpg

The visor definitely is interesting.  I've never seen

a tinted transparent visor before.

At AACA meets, only factory-offered equipment

is shown on cars, and I feel that's very limiting.

Many interesting accessories were made during

a car's life, but now they may be seen only in

old catalogues and in the memories of old-timers

who are no longer with us.  Such items are pieces

of automotive history as much as the cars.

By all means, preserve the visor!  And thank you

for sharing it with us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The 55er said:

You have a 1949 Oldsmobile there.

That's what i was thinking. Thank you

3 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

The visor is an aftermarket accessory, not factory.  Not terribly valuable.  You might be able to buff out the acrylic if the crazing is not too deep.

Yeah i don't recall any terrible damage but will have to look at it closer next time I'm back to it. 

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

Seems odd that someone would steal the hood emblem and not the visor.

Yeah i thought that as well. Took the time to pull or pry them off but not all people see the value in odd, old car parts i guess. But also those screws are a pain after a few years in the elements to remove. 

2 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

I've never heard of the company. That's worth saving just as a conversation piece hanging on the garage wall, especially if you come from Rodney !

Yes absolutely will be pulling that part, if i can't get the car home this year. I'm in Manitoba the next province to the west of Ontario. I definitely intend to save it. 

11 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

for sharing it with us.

I definitely intend to save the visor and to save the car as well. It will take a lot of effort but I've done it before haha. Sucker for punishment i guess. 

Thank you. I've had it offered to me 12 or more years ago and never had the chance to go look at it. I forgot about it then remembered last year about it and re-acquired about it. Glad i did.  I love old cars and I'm happy to share and that others are also 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

If the visor is salvagable the low rider bomba guys are paying crazy money for things like that

They definitely love these visors. 

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Put the visor on eBay, it will wind up in California, pack it well and make the buyer happy. Bob 

Someone definitely will.  But I think it will just look good in my shop in the future. May as well keep it for a conversation piece. No need to worry about shipping that way. 

6 hours ago, Keeferishere said:

They definitely love these visors. 

Someone definitely will.  But I think it will just look good in my shop in the future. May as well keep it for a conversation piece. No need to worry about shipping that way. 

It's already a "conversation piece" from the number of comments it's gathered in this Forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

It would be great to see the visor on an

authentic car from its own era.

Can the plexiglass (or whatever the material is)

be cleaned well?  If it would crumble or break,

it shouldn't be difficult to put new pieces in.

OP correctly identified it as acrylic - Plexiglass is one supplier's brand name.  Curving new pieces on a buck would be the harder part.

• Like 1

Finally, an answer to what company produced those unique blue Plexiglas sun visors!   Here is a photo of a 1948-'49 Packard equipped with one that was for sale in New Jersey, if I recall correctly.   If I had a blue Packard, I'd want one of those to accessorize it.  I'd also mount an aftermarket 'pelican' hood ornament with those light-up blue plastic wings!   And you thought I had good taste, didn't you?

'49 Eight blue visor -dual tailights.jpg

'49 Eight blue visor -cropped.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

WOW! Is there a Sun Visor protection god that is out there that we never read about? 1907458527_Screenshot_20220929-165946_Vi

Right. The roof had 2 big dents from trees or kids and this large branch that laid across the car but never wrecked the visor.  I bet the shaded damper climate of the bush helped save it. I bet out in direct sunlight and anything that hit it would have for sure wrecked the acrylic. Been there 50 years and more on the car so have to save the visor at least now that i can. 

11 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

It would be great to see the visor on an

authentic car from its own era.

Can the plexiglass (or whatever the material is)

be cleaned well?  If it would crumble or break,

it shouldn't be difficult to put new pieces in.

I believe this car is from the era of the visor. But the acrylic will definitely clean up i believe. I haven't tried anything yet. Cars still at the friends property 45 mintues away and do not want it looking too for out there for vandals or thieves. 

3 hours ago, bryankazmer said:

OP correctly identified it as acrylic - Plexiglass is one supplier's brand name.  Curving new pieces on a buck would be the harder part.

Yeah i wouldn't really have any idea how to curve  "new" visor lens for it. A little work, cut and heat and would turn out ok but hopefully save the original blue acrylic. 

6 hours ago, Ozstatman said:

It's already a "conversation piece" from the number of comments it's gathered in this Forum.

I knew there would be interest but had no idea. It has gathered quite a lot of comments. I had no idea where to post pics and ask info. But AACA was one site that came up and figured there would be a few knowledgeable people here. Thank you all

• Like 1

My grandfather’s Plymouth had a visor like that when he hit a black bear in upper Michigan. The car and visor did not survive. The bear rolled of the top that he crushed and ran away. Gramps had to change his pants!  
dave s 

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Finally, an answer to what company produced those unique blue Plexiglas sun visors!   Here is a photo of a 1948-'49 Packard equipped with one that was for sale in New Jersey, if I recall correctly.   If I had a blue Packard, I'd want one of those to accessorize it.  I'd also mount an aftermarket 'pelican' hood ornament with those light-up blue plastic wings!   And you thought I had good taste, didn't you?

'49 Eight blue visor -dual tailights.jpg

'49 Eight blue visor -cropped.jpg

Hey that's neat. Good looking Packard still imo. The blue acrylic definitely makes the car stand out differently. I have seen those light up hood ornamental pieces. Would definitely suit the look with the visor

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SC38dls said:

My grandfather’s Plymouth had a visor like that when he hit a black bear in upper Michigan. The car and visor did not survive. The bear rolled of the top that he crushed and ran away. Gramps had to change his pants!  
dave s 

That's too bad about the car and visor but at least your gramps was ok. I would not want to hit any bigger animal like bear or moose with these older cars. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2022 at 12:13 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

for sharing it with us.

I see a lot of green tinted ones at California swap meets.  Yes, the lowrider crowd is fond of them.

• Like 1

There wasn't a factory made visor for these models. Peckat made the majority of solid metal ones that you see. This visor, as it's configured, will fit '48 and '49 Cadillacs, '48 and '49 Olds 98s and '49 Buicks. In '50 they introduced the one piece windsheild. I know that's a little limiting, but somewhere there is a lowered '49 Cad sedanet owner who would pay $1,500or more for this.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The 55er said:

You'd have to convince me this is really a $1500 or more accessory for somebody's car. 

IMG_1083.JPG

I am thinking a very happy buyer and a very disappointed seller on this NOS item.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/30/2022 at 1:24 PM, CarlLaFong said:

If the visor is salvagable the low rider bomba guys are paying crazy money for things like that

Us low riding dudes wouldn’t pay to much for this blue plastic visor especially one that’s gotta be sun baked, scratched weathered for years. We work hard for are money and we definitely pay big dollars for something clean and solid like a Fulton visor or a packet and our cars show how we take pride and not afraid to spend on something we want. You can keep that one as none of us “bomba” guys want this one this is your Lafagg

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2022 at 9:29 AM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Are Fulton visors designed to be expanded lengthwise for different applications? They appear to have a broad center section for that purpose.

Sure you can adjust them, these plastic are one size, at least the one I seen at a swap a couple months e