Pebble Beach 2022

1937hd45

WP and a couple posted a couple of pages back "Better photo to see that the landau bars are mounted upside down (need to swap sides)." Not sure they are, cannot imagine a show of this caliber a submission making such a booboo. They are complicated folding mechanisms for a complex top, so I think may be correct, even if they do look strange. But what do I know.

6 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

WP and a couple posted a couple of pages back "Better photo to see that the landau bars are mounted upside down (need to swap sides)." Not sure they are, cannot imagine a show of this caliber a submission making such a booboo. They are complicated folding mechanisms for a complex top, so I think may be correct, even if they do look strange. But what do I know.

Being an old restoration and a museum car (very little money for resources), and displayed this way for many, many years, I doubt they were at PB to win a First Prize award.

• Like 1

The show isn’t over……….I’m still in So Cal chasing cars and parts…….unfortunately I can’t post photos……but another show on Sunday, and we have a car in it. More to come………..😎

Malibu oceanside for breakfast today…….beautiful spot.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The car in question has a 4 piece landau bar setup, and I suspect folds like this sketch. Lowering top means first folding rear landau bar rearward as shown, which would fold the bar and drop main bow to resting spot. Then the second landau bar would be folded rearward so remainder of roof and forward bow lies flat. Note the requirement to have equal distances from forward body top mounting pivot point to the 3 places landau bars are fastened to rear bracket or to bows. As to the question raised about landau bars being possibly wrong sided,  I'm still not sure that there is any way for them to work other than as installed. My understanding bars are always installed so gravity and some compression keeps them locked in place. I suppose there is also a way to have rear bar fold forward first and also have second bar fold forward? Update, having now looked at the implications of the landau bars sticking out back of car, I figure bars must fold forward, and that bars as installed are likely wrong, Not sure left/right changes is issue, perhaps they need to be reassembled to fold forward.

IMG_8333.JPG

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 3

hmm... 3makes, I'm not sure I have it right above. Here is a second sketch based on Landau bars folding forward as top is lowered. This seems correct. However landau bars on subject vehicle would need to be reconfigured to allow this folding method, left/right, upside down, backwards, I'm not sure just what is required, but I now agree that WP (and Walt) identified them as not right. Mea Culpa. 

IMG_8336.JPG

2 hours ago, West Peterson said:

Apparently the double landau bar cape tops work differently, and the top is intended to sit way out back when in the down position. So, 3Makes' first diagram is correct.... AND I stand corrected.

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 1.47.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 1.47.45 PM.png

Looks like stills from a movie I am unfamiliar with. Not sure of the year, but notice the car has whitewalls! I was watching a movie last night "Merrily We Live" -1938- About a wealthy family. There is a scene with a beautiful Duesenburg roadster sporting wide white walls.

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

Kicking around the vault at the Peterson Museum today. Lots of neat stuff. Photos not allowed. 

I belong to a woodworking guild which access to behind the scenes of some major museums was afforded. That kind of stuff was more interesting to me than what was on the floor. I bet your having a grand time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Kicking around the vault at the Peterson Museum today. Lots of neat stuff. Photos not allowed. 

How does someone become your shadow? I am willing to carry a cooler of ice with bottles of your favorite libations to everyone of these sites you get into. I’ll even walk three paces behind you in a butler’s suit if that would work. 
Hope you are having a ball. 
dave s 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 3makes said:

When it comes to a discussion or comments about Landau Irons, the first thing to do is to discover whether they are actually functional or purely decorative. It does make a difference.

When a new top is being installed, are the Landau Irons installed during the job or after. I would think the top guy would test fit the folding operation a few times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SC38dls said:

How does someone become your shadow? I am willing to carry a cooler of ice with bottles of your favorite libations to everyone of these sites you get into. I’ll even walk three paces behind you in a butler’s suit if that would work. 
Hope you are having a ball. 
dave s 

Petersen vault is now open to everyone that buys the ticket and takes the tour.

Bob

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Petersen vault is now open to everyone that buys the ticket and takes the tour.

Bob

Website still says separate, but either way an awesome museum and vault was great!   They have a nice book in the gift shop that I bought that has most, if not all, of the pictures of the cars in vault...as Ed mentioned, no pics allowed.  Flew out there from NY when I was out there for the week for the Superbowl this year, and I became a member.  It was only a mile or so from my hotel in Beverly Hills...which was great as it's in a nice location with plenty to do, but still hit traffic!! :)  The membership also gets you into other museums  such as Audrain in RI FYI if interested, but a great museum to support as member.   Highly recommended if in LA.  Chuck

WP said "Apparently the double landau bar cape tops work differently, and the top is intended to sit way out back when in the down position. So, 3Makes' first diagram is correct.... AND I stand corrected". It was actually my first sketch, but 3Makes can have credit as he inspired my second look. I'm guessing with proper locking mechanism (to avoid gravity issue) 4 piece bars could fold either way. WP is this the first time ever you "stand corrected"? I'm guessing the Mercedes alsuncle posted has some form of locking mechanism to prevent gravity from taking over.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

2 hours ago, George K said:

Still working on the 16v4 White sleeping there?

It’s been moved………but I am hot on the trail. 😎

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, edinmass said:

It’s been moved………but I am hot on the trail. 😎

Ed, The first time I was in the Petersen Vault the collection that LA County ( or whatever the proper title is) owned was there in a special section, where are all those cars now? 

Like many things, it’s a long story. To make it short………Peterson and LA County museums were part of the same entity until sometime around 2000…….so from 1994 to 2000 +/- a couple of years they had all the cars in the Peterson basement. A few years AFTER the split, the cars went back to LA county museum buildings and storage. I have the location, but it’s not open to the public. I anticipate getting in to kick some tires in the next few days……..but don’t have guaranteed access yet. Using a few contacts from Pebble last week, I think my foot is in the door. Seems fairly difficult to get access……."

Interesting day yesterday. I managed to get through to LA County History Museum, worked the phones and with help from a few friends finally got to the correct number and person who is the official caretaker of their automobile collection. The were very helpful, and once I explained my intrest in their White 16 Valve Four, they offered me access to it and files they have. Just one catch………they are currently under renovations and while basically finished, they don’t have their CO yet.(Certificate of Occupancy) Thus I can’t visit for insurance reasons. Bummer……next trip I will get to see it. I was pleasantly surprised that the caretaker was familiar with the car, and White automobile history……..to a very in depth extent. A real museum employee who has an actual interest in the items they manage. They couldn’t have been more helpful. So…….while shut out of cars for the day……..I went to my next destination. 

The Huntington Museum & Library. I have many nicknames given to me by friends and family……..one of them is “Petroleum” because I’m crude and unrefined. Today I visited the best museum in the world that doesn’t have a car on display……….I consider it one of my top three places to visit that doesn’t involve cars……….that’s a top three over the entire globe………here are some photos.

14500927-BE3C-4A7F-8AEF-6F8C1F9D1D07.jpeg

E41AC5B6-56F3-4621-B57B-7550082A1318.jpeg

4B539AB6-51C5-4904-94E9-11784FD15FBA.jpeg

D6E9E7A9-8CBF-45F4-A8C7-30A91828CEC5.jpeg

0A49707B-3FBD-4019-AC68-8EB9BEF749B8.jpeg

1C0DD54E-7E21-4C90-A697-97C6EFC305E4.jpeg

309E0A3C-2065-4F0F-AACF-F595D2CED2D1.jpeg

7FEEF47C-B189-4B59-BA0A-730EA1C4125C.jpeg

8B100F27-67E2-42DF-ADEB-9FCA7224D748.jpeg

747C1B26-641A-4640-ACA8-26FD5C4F5DCE.jpeg

D436A215-25D0-41F6-B779-1354FF075C11.jpeg

8FE06BCE-91DC-47E0-ACE8-C35DB14A33D6.jpeg

9315D0AC-7E3E-4344-84CD-F7C2C37595D6.jpeg

8ED307C5-6954-474F-AA41-3D12AF398EDF.jpeg

DC7230EA-A4D4-4B9A-9F52-DDD4702CE89A.jpeg

E7B921F0-9887-4E26-8B00-E5CFBEA26B39.jpeg

73FE4123-99B0-4A1F-949D-B3BB224ED85D.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

The Huntington Museum & Library.

4B539AB6-51C5-4904-94E9-11784FD15FBA.jpeg

309E0A3C-2065-4F0F-AACF-F595D2CED2D1.jpeg

The architecture looks like it was originally someone's house,

with a less detailed addition possibly after it was converted.

Is that the case?

And the one facade, with the row of columns with statuary

in between, I'm sure I've seen in an old car ad.

The home was designed to become a museum after the owners death. They have a fantastic library with a Gutenberg Bible, papers from Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, and Galileo‘s telescope. There are multiple buildings. They have American as well as European artwork. Silver, porcelain, furniture, anything you can imagine. It’s only 20 miles from the Neathercutt Collection. I always try to visit both of them whenever I am in town. The botanical garden at the Huntington is simply stunning when in bloom. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 12:35 PM, alsancle said:

It might depend on the car.   On this car the bar bends forward.

DCP_0372.JPG

Landau irons were carriage thing long before a car thing and in carriages this would be correct orientation (it is kind of like a dictionary or encyclopedia kinda thing and form before funtion kind of thing too).  So, even in 1920-something people were probably walking up to a car and saying they were installed wrong when you do not see this kind of look at top, middle and lower end.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)