What vehicles do you recall having wrap around back glass giving the appearance of two windshields front and back?.

30DodgePanel

I've always wondered how many cars (or trucks) had wrap around back windows that make a vehicle appear to have two windshields. Here are a few examples of GM styling but I've often wondered how many must have been produced throughout the years. 

What are some of the vehicles you recall having two windshields that have a wrap around effect?

Seems I remember seeing some Pontiacs and Mercury that had something similar but can't recall.

We may be surprised by how many have been made over the years...

I realize what qualifies a vehicle with two windshields may be open to debate, but please, no photoshopped or customized vehicles. 

Thanks
Dave

GM Factory Restorations Rumored

#cars from Jim & Chester's Garage

1958-chevy-apache-cameo-pickup-pa19-f185-7-1560892773215@2x.jpg?1562099384000

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

"Two windshields" generally would evoque a dual windshield phaeton or touring.  I think what you're looking for is a wrap around back lite.  Anything with a reverse angle to the back of the C-pillar will have it.  Look at many mid-fifties hardtops.

Fair enough and I would agree, but I am not sure how to word the heading which is why in my first sentence I opened this post with "how many cars (or trucks) had wrap around back windows that make a vehicle appear to have two windshields."

For now I guess I'll leave the heading unless everyone thinks it should be changed or if the mods think it needs changed they have that authority and I won't mind. 

10 minutes ago, bryankazmer said:

Chevy used same technology (multiple glass pieces) as the Toronado.

It was not multiple pieces of glass fused together.  It was one-piece utilizing 'hot bent wire' glass folding technology invented by PPG.

Craig 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Fair enough and I would agree, but I am not sure how to word the heading which is why in my first sentence I opened this post with "how many cars (or trucks) had wrap around back windows that make a vehicle appear to have two windshields."

For now I guess I'll leave the heading unless everyone thinks it should be changed or if the mods think it needs changed they have that authority and I won't mind. 

Change the heading. Most people who respond will not look at reactions to the heading or your explanations. So please clarify what you want responses to. Also are you referring to a single piece of wraparound glass or multiple pieces with dividers or multiple pieces glued together?? 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, CarlLaFong said:

Certain terms make my brain ache. Rear windshield, front headlights pretty much top the list along with calling wheels rims

I agree,

however I did clarify in the first sentence what I was asking and if one takes two seconds to read it, it's pretty obvious the intent of the thread. I suppose if folks don't even want to take a second to read the first line or are too lazy to read then I guess the rest of us can just ignore them and try and stay on topic. I realize it's difficult for some as our over stimulated minds tend to drift but I feel most of us are able to stay on topic . It isn't difficult.

We can only hope this doesn't lead into engine vs motor debate again. One can hope at least.... ;) 

For those that can't understand the first sentence of this thread

Maybe this thread isn't for you. Please, don't stress yourself, just kindly move on so the rest of us can enjoy discussing  how many cars (or trucks) had wrap around back windows that make a vehicle appear to have two windshields.

Regards

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

1951 Mercury, not as easy to chop as the 49&50. 

Bob 

60962af4d1ef_hd_1951-mercury-monterey.jpg

See, that's not so hard is it Bob?

As BryanK  suggested earlier many of the mid fifties cars had them. I think it would be interesting to see how many we can post that had the wrap around back window making it appear that a vehicle has two windshields, one in the front and one in the back (for those that need further common sense instruction ;)). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill Boudway said:

A 1917 Locomobile dual cowl with a second windshield for the passengers in the back seat

2021 Grand National-Zenith.JPG

Beautiful machine. I'm guessing based on the HYVEE and Taco Johns signs it's in the midwest somewhere.

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

For those that can't understand the first sentence of this thread

Maybe this thread isn't for you. Please, don't stress yourself, just kindly move on so the rest of us can enjoy discussing  how many cars (or trucks) had wrap around back windows that make a vehicle appear to have two windshields.

Personally, the answer is,None". In spite of the old Studebaker joke I have never had any difficulty telling the front of a car from the rear

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Lot of that going on. Woody Guthrie called it the blind stutters. Rigidity of the aged.

So true.

They forgot what fun is or maybe they just haven't been laid in years....

Regardless, it shouldn't stop others from living a normal life even in the midst of the nitpicking negativity. 

"I don't wanna pickle, I just wanna ride my motor... sickle" 

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Never thought of it as having two windshields but it can sure be called minimalist sail panel.

Minimalist sail panel has a good ring to it but I'm sure that would get me 50 lashes, so for now I think I'll refrain from editing the heading ;) 

Beautiful car BTW, and great example for this topic (probably one of the most pronounced examples we'll see). 

4 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

As BryanK  suggested earlier many of the mid fifties cars had them. I think it would be interesting to see how many we can post that had the wrap around back window making it appear that a vehicle has two windshields, one in the front and one in the back.

How about phrasing it 'where the rear window covers more square-inches than the windshield'.

Craig

• Thanks 1

How about "Old vehicles with huge back windows". Nah, I'd probably get nailed for clickbait....

Who knew creating a topic had to be so extremely exact? 

Maybe we should just leave it to piss off those that have OCD?

(Old Cranky Disorder)

Some may be asking what about 60's Cudas or 63 Vette, would that count?

My answer is sure, why not.... split, chrome, no chrome, smaller than the windshield, larger than the windshield or just plain ole wrap around back window...

See the source image

• Like 1

• 30DodgePanel changed the title to What vehicles do you recall having wrap around back glass giving the appearance of two windshields front and back?.

The concept of this thread is wrap around rear window so I think they have to be included.

Anything with a wrap around rear window from any era. 

I believe the 57 88 Olds Rockets had similar back window as this Buick and Olds wagon

Gorgeous wagons.

ch1009-84681_3@2x.jpg?1253199239000

See the source image

• Like 5

60 to 64 4 door Corvairs!

Note, wheelcovers are not stock. The three bar spinners are stock, just bolted to wrong spoke basket.

64 4 door picture.jpg

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, James-Wahl Motors said:

The ‘60-‘61 Chrysler has an impressive curved backlight. With the tailfins there is no question about which way the car goes.

IMG_1566.JPG

Extra points for those fins! 

Here's one of the Pontiacs I was trying to recall from memory. 

The El Catalina

I realize it's a prototype but she definitely derserves a place with all the other beauties. 

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...