Model A Ford ...nightmare

Dandy Dave

11 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

Some people should not be allowed to own tools.

8 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

They would probably then use a rock.

Some people should not be allowed to ever touch a tool of any kind!

If you don't like sad stories? Read no further.

Growing up grade school and middle school. About a block and a half from my house, was a typical young family. The eldest daughter was my age, and in my classes several times over the years. Her sister was about two years younger (a bit younger than my brother), and her brother a few years younger than that (about the age of my sister. Her dad, was a high level engineer for one of the big electronic and computer companies (I don't think it was IBM?). He was well known in the neighborhood for being clueless about tools or anything mechanical. People would be walking down the street and pass their house shaking their heads as he tried to mow the lawn! His attempts to do anything to their car were almost always followed by a tow truck taking their car to a garage! I saw that happen several times. 

One day, the wife and kids went to the store, leaving dad at home. They got home, the daughter my age was first in the front door while mom and sister gathered grocery bags. He had tried to change a light bulb. Used a small step stool, fell off and hit his head. The girl was never the same after that.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing? But some people just do not have that connection to the universe. 

DD, if you think that tale is too dark, let me know and I'll replace it with something less.

Edited by wayne sheldon
Additional thought. (see edit history)

2 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

Some people should not be allowed to ever touch a tool of any kind!

If you don't like sad stories? Read no further.

Growing up grade school and middle school. About a block and a half from my house, was a typical young family. The eldest daughter was my age, and in my classes several times over the years. Her sister was about two years younger (a bit younger than my brother), and her brother a few years younger than that (about the age of my sister. Her dad, was a high level engineer for one of the big electronic and computer companies (I don't think it was IBM?). He was well known in the neighborhood for being clueless about tools or anything mechanical. People would be walking down the street and pass their house shaking their heads as he tried to mow the lawn! His attempts to do anything to their car were almost always followed by a tow truck taking their car to a garage! I saw that happen several times. 

One day, the wife and kids went to the store, leaving dad at home. They got home, the daughter my age was first in the front door while mom and sister gathered grocery bags. He had tried to change a light bulb. Used a small step stool, fell off and hit his head. The girl was never the same after that.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing? But some people just do not have that connection to the universe. 

DD, if you think that tale is too dark, let me know and I'll replace it with something less.

Not to worry Wayne. There's at least one born every minute.

Wayne, I look at it as a cautionary tale. I can tell dozens of stories about people I worked with who scared hell out of me. Some made you wonder how they tied their shoes in the morning, and one of those was known to come to work anytime with shoes on the wrong feet and shirt turned inside out. He had been a Navy machinist's mate. 

Thank you. People just need to know and accept their own limitations. It doesn't mean they are stupid, or worthless. Just that they cannot relate to what end of the screwdriver does what. Or they need to stay away from stepstools. I used to stand near the top of a six foot ladder and swing it around to face the other direction! I often climbed up hundred foot and higher towers to fix equipment failures without safety equipment! I could do it. And I could do it safely! (Point of fact, carrying the safety equipment all the time just because it might be needed wore it out and it could become unsafe for when it was needed, once in awhile climbing the tower was unexpectedly needed, the safety equipment although a wise choice was not really needed by someone that knew what he was doing up there.) Whenever working up the tower was expected, I took and used (still have!) the safety belts and etc.

Among the few really good things in my life, was that between the antique automobile hobby, and the work in cutting edge communications systems, I met a lot of really incredible people! Believe me, there are a lot of truly brilliant people out there that cannot tie their shoes! I spent many hours with real rocket scientists, and even met a few brain surgeons. I had to find and repair some equipment tampering done by a physicist teaching at Stanford University! Ever try to tell a world class physicist that he doesn't know what he is doing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The Larson Cartoon is pretty much where I ended up in teaching Industrial Arts (Tech Ed) when I finished in 2015.

When I started in 1984 it was to be assumed that most of the students by Jr. High/High School age had some experience with fasteners and such and had at least handled some form of manual design tools. 

• Like 1

When I was in Industrial Arts class ('78-'79) you designed a small rack, shelf or table, grabbed a piece of wood off the rack and started sawing and planing it to size. We built little electric motors out of magnets, nails and copper wire. I suspect Industrial Arts these days involves computers and 3D printing. 🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pkhammer said:

When I was in Industrial Arts class ('78-'79) you designed a small rack, shelf or table, grabbed a piece of wood off the rack and started sawing and planing it to size. We built little electric motors out of magnets, nails and copper wire. I suspect Industrial Arts these days involves computers and 3D printing. 🙄

My design class at school was focused on computer design and 3D printing - because that's where the future is headed. We did have a wood shop class available as well, though. It's really amazing what you can make with a 3D printer. Hard to find parts, badges, tools, etc can be designed and made by pretty much anyone.

I'm not bashing new technology so please don't anyone take it that way. I am merely pointing out how times have changed. I feel really old right now. 😒 After graduating high school I did mechanical drafting/design on a drafting board (pencil and paper) for the next 20 years. Then I moved on to AutoCad which I still use. Most of my co-workers now use 3D solid modeling. If you want to send a flat pattern for a square to round transition down to the laser the computer generates the pattern from the solid model and the laser cuts it out in a matter of seconds. Amazing. 35 years ago we had workers that figured that stuff out using a tape measure, trammel points and a square, then cut it out by hand. That type of skill is no longer necessary. I suspect I'll be retiring before things change much more.

Now back to our regular unscheduled programing. I found quite an ouch when I pulled the starter apart to be sure the bushings were lubricated.... Looks like someone was trying to start it with the spark advanced too much. Also had the thought that the squeeling was coming from the bell housing engine mounting bolts being too long and rubbing on the flywheel. Too bad because the fields, armature, and Brushes look like new and the starter spun good. The bendix spring looks like new also, An indication of inproper starting or something binding. Dandy Dave!

IMG_4569.JPG

IMG_4570.JPG

IMG_4574.JPG

Nasty! I cannot offhand recall ever seeing an armature shaft broken that way. It does appear to have been twisted off under heavy load. The crack started forming in the keyway, both the weakest spot and point of greatest shock and stress where the gearset is anchored to the shaft.

Spark lever is handy on the steering column for a reason!

My dad was not a mechanic, but could build just about anything. He had a saying that I learned at an early age and still follow, 'Sometimes its not what you know but who you know'. Getting the right guy to do the job will save a lot of aggravation in the long run.

On 7/5/2022 at 9:36 AM, Larry Schramm said:

They would probably then use a rock.

I knew an old body-man in the 1970s that after a few drinks he would bet a couple of drinks that he could take a dent out with a rock or two.

• Haha 2

I got a correct front motor mount kit installed and was able to get the hand crank to finally work. Fixed a lot of cobbed electrical issues. Starter parts are on there way. Bottom plate in the distributor had a fraid wire and was rusty. The wire in my hand was cobbed into the condenser side of the distributor. Correct shielded as seen in the photo bought and installed.   

IMG_4584.JPG

IMG_4583.JPG

IMG_4588.JPG

• Like 3

Moving right along, With the hand crank I could finally feel the engine. Compression on one and a half cylinders. It refused to start of course. I pulled the head. Valves are filthy and have rust. Also, it has some pitting also in number 4 Cylinder. Yes. It needs a valve job plus other stuff. Talking with the owners to see how far they want to go with it.  

IMG_4595.JPG

IMG_4596.JPG

IMG_4597.JPG

• Like 3

You know of course that old vehicles and machinery are a lot like stray dogs and cats- they find someone who'll feed and pet them, and take care of them, and all of a sudden you find yourself with a companion!

Should its owner decide not to go through with this resurrection, you could acquire a worse companion than a Mardel A Ford!😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2022 at 11:02 AM, Zimm63 said:

Glad to see someone else's workbench looks like mine.  Makes me feel better.

6 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Doesn't everybody's?🤔

I am not proud of this. But, right now, I would have to peel away a couple layers of stuff that should have been put away many months ago just to get it that nice!

I definitely do not get enough time out in the shop.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, oldford said:

Dave, when you get a read from your customer, I have a totally rebuilt engine ready to go. Come over and take a look at it...

Frank

I'm sending you a PM.

Dave be sure to lube and tune the horn, essential noisemaker on every Model A!!  😉😁

Looks like good progress so far.  It will definately run but question of engine wear, condition remains.  Do they want a tour vehicle or an annual parade, ice cream car?  Your efforts can easily bolt onto a new engine.

22 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Dave be sure to lube and tune the horn, essential noisemaker on every Model A!!  😉😁

Looks like good progress so far.  It will definately run but question of engine wear, condition remains.  Do they want a tour vehicle or an annual parade, ice cream car?  Your efforts can easily bolt onto a new engine.

Horn!!! Horn!!! Honk if your Horny. That way you can blow your own Model A horn. 😬 🙃 Actually I have as of yet to test the horn. A short comming on my part. They want to drive it to town and back reliably. That means get a rebuilt engine. Or pull this one and get it done. Either way there is no short cut. There is an engine waiting in the wings which would be the easiet way to go. I'm working on it. And yes, Everything I am doing will be needed for a long or short block anyway. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

We have a friend with a spotless shop and all his tools are in a perfect tool box all lined up like their waiting for the Queen of England.

All highly polished chrome, just like new in perfect order.    My wife asked me "What's he doing in the garage every  night, Polishing his tools?

Could be, we take our own tools when we go to help him.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Paul Dobbin said:

We have a friend with a spotless shop and all his tools are in a perfect tool box all lined up like their waiting for the Queen of England.

All highly polished chrome, just like new in perfect order.    My wife asked me "What's he doing in the garage every  night, Polishing his tools?

Could be, we take our own tools when we go to help him.

Dirty and partly oganized shops get stuff done. Clean organized shops??? Not so much in my honest opinion.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Moving right along. I have aquired a rebuilt engine thanks to oldford. The old engine is out and the rebuilt engine is getting ready to install. I have parts ordered to renew the rear motor mount rubber and hardware. Other stuff. here's some photos. 

IMG_4607.JPG

IMG_4608.JPG

IMG_4610.JPG

• Like 3

Those of us in the prewar hobby  do get enjoyment in getting things back to how they should be.  When I get to Heaven I'm going to try to get into the Maintenance Dept.  and might ask to be in your cabin.  Life is good.

• Thanks 1