For Sale: 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix - "Runs great, Excellent condition, Always garaged" - Brick, NJ - Not Mine - 8/27 Reduced - 9/28 SOLD!

For sale on Facebook: 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix 2-door Hardtop in Brick, NJ  -  $31,000  -  Must be a member of Facebook to access Seller's contact information.

On 8/27, Seller reduced price to $29,000

Link to 8/3 relist: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/591724282617035/1965-Pontiac-Grand-Prix

Seller's Description:

1965 Pontiac Grand Prix 2-door Hardtop

• Excellent condition
  • Driven 70,000 miles
  • Automatic transmission
  • Exterior color: Yellow · Interior color: White
  • Clean title
  • This vehicle has no significant damage or problems

1965 Pontiac Grand Prix - Car is loaded with every option that was available at the time. Runs great, zero rust and is in excellent condition. It was always garage kept. This car is a cream puff! The car is my father's, please call Frank at [hidden information] with any questions. Price is $31,000.

image.png.2029f4a6ca3dc372c68874d91b3e447b.png

image.png.49143c38b0934fb453884a083a8bc05e.png

image.png.6fdf1bde3aae365395bb14c4c3ceaac1.png

image.png.8822c99c1eca12b87f46c977a439b1be.png

image.png.7f75326dc18a4fd55476b7c378749780.png

image.png.ccd5b873107affe23800c63a80d9ea9f.png

image.png.cb235e6ef54feecebe75955ba9ad7542.png

Edited by 6T-FinSeeker
update status (see edit history)
  • Like 2

$31K seems pretty aggressive for a 70Kmi car in what has to be a not too popular color combination.  On the other hand, it appears to be in nice shape and is well-optioned.  $5385.56 would have bought a decent Cadillac in '65...  ;)

Hard to believe those 8-lug wheels were only a $120 option!

Edited by EmTee (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Beautiful car!  I like the Indian Head high beam light!  Unsure about the yellow body with the tan interior...

9 hours ago, EmTee said:

"$5385.56 would have bought a decent Cadillac in '65... 

Only a '65 Cadillac Calais 2dr hardtop ($5,059), power steering and power brakes only, A/C was a $495 option.   This Grand Prix was Pontiac really pushing hard to swipe some of Cadillac's prestige to sell cars.

• Like 3

Beautiful car! I think the colour looks right on this one. IF it truly is all original its quite the time capsule. I dont know the price on these that well but to me its priced a bit on the high side. Personally I would rather have an original car in this condition than one restored to perfection but for 31K I would want perfection!!

I would think that $120 was a sizable chunk of change for upgraded wheels!

• Like 2

Holy smokes that's a nice car. Not my favorite year because the just looks heavy.  The price seems a little aggressive and maybe the seller priced like that so he would have wiggle room if a buyer starts negotiating.  Similarly Gran Prix's never really caught on because I think they were over shadowed by other cars in the Pontiac line up. I think a realistic price would be in the upper 20's.

• Like 1

Bonneville was technically the top of the Pontiac line from about 1957 until 1982.  I may be off a year or two.  But most of that top of the line-ness was  in wheelbase, luxury appointments and ride quality or tuning.  

Bill Mitchell and frankly Ford Motor Company, sought a different chiseled, larger look in 1965.  Across the 3 Box conservative styling with subtle rounded corners of 1961-1964 automakers sought to reduce radical fin era styling.  

But with sales somewhat flat, the 65’s added all manner of extruded sharp edges exemplified by the Gran Prix here.   I have owned a 63 GP and love the 64s with their frenched in style headlamp and tail lamp surrounds.  But this 65 oozes mid sixties style points.   

The parchment bucket seats and trim are a favorite of mine, perhaps as much as saddle. The price is too high, we all generally agree.  But it sounds like Dad wants to sell and got his son(s) involved perhaps with a commission component as a carrot to sell.   

Interesting it seems once again the kids don’t want it.  Just a guess but as so many other times they want the cash.  I think as far as price, it’s a $20,000 car all day long. Subject to records, inspection of course.   

Would you pay $25,000 for it?  Maybe - if that $25,000 was completely disposable fun money.   

We need 6T to continue following this one.  Would be interesting to see what it sells for, or gets reduced to.  If a person just wants mid 60s “Madmen” era 2 door hardtops to cruise around in, they are out there, for less than $25,000, many less than $20,000.  But if you are a Pontiac fan, this one is a nice one to perhaps overpay a bit in. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The 55er said:

Ad says this car is loaded with every option that was available at the time but where's the Tri-Power? Still a nice car.

What engine does this yellow car have?

My Hagerty price guide indicates that that affects

the value quite a bit, and I can't tell from the 

window sticker or the photograph.

I think these cars may be  under valued according to the price guides. They gave the 1965 consumer as well as the 2022 consumer a lot for their money. As a restorer/preserver the hvac is the most intimidating system to get working properly. I am currently working on a 65 GP project car and am impressed with the content and quality of the car. I wish the seller luck in getting close to his asking price.  

• Like 1

I don't think that the idea of passing on your car to your kids works out that often. Unless they are already old car enthusiasts. Taking on the car as a family heirloom requires quite an investment. Besides insurance and maintenance, a car like this really should be stored in a garage, which is pretty valuable real estate in most families. Besides this, unless there are multiple cars to leave to each kid, how can you make it equitable? Even if there is a kid that wants it, their siblings are likely to object that they are getting short changed. You can divide a sum of money but not a vehicle. A lot of bad blood can develop from these feelings. 

Of course it's your property and you can do what you want with it. It might be a good idea to address these issues before everything becomes part of the estate. Nice Pontiac, I like the color combo. It gives the car a lighter, sportier look. I had a light yellow Coupe de Ville.

• Like 2

@Rivguy agree.  My adult son hasn't shown interest in our prewar stuff beyond the occasional ride.  He likes our 89 560 SL and used to take the occasional female friend for a ride but hasn't driven it in years.  He says he wants it, but with his own oversize garage, he hadn't pressed or made it a priority.  Used to be "when I get a house.."  I like the car but if he takes it I will replace it with something else so I kind of want him to but he needs to step it up..  I guess between a new house, wife to be, dog and his own hobbies it's just not a priority for him.  

I share more collecting interests with my father but I also have no issue with one setting their own priorities and interests.

This is a nice car and just the type of 60s car I would like, color and all.  On price, mid, high 20s could be in line.  It would really depend on live look at condition & a drive, imo.

• Like 2

• 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix - "Runs great, Excellent condition, Always garaged" - Brick, NJ - Not Mine - 7/16 Pending
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix - "Runs great, Excellent condition, Always garaged" - Brick, NJ - Not Mine
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix - "Runs great, Excellent condition, Always garaged" - Brick, NJ - Not Mine - 8/27 Reduced
  • 6T-FinSeeker changed the title to For Sale: 1965 Pontiac Grand Prix - "Runs great, Excellent condition, Always garaged" - Brick, NJ - Not Mine - 8/27 Reduced - 9/28 SOLD!