Unbelievable stupid Luck ….. to me - 1934 Dodge Dr rumble seat coupe

Porsche 68

Nice work John. I have a few suggestions for you while you are in the top-end:

Given what I discovered on my car with respect to valves, you may want to consider pulling the valves, checking the heads and seats, and cleaning the valve train area.  I think you will be shocked at how much garbage is in the valve train area.  This will also allow you to set the valve lash cold (.002 over specification for both intake and exhaust).

If the valve faces /seats are not perfect, recut the seats (I will mail you a kit to use for free) and lap the valves.

While you are working on the valve train, soak the tops of the pistons with an acetone/automatic transmission fluid (50-50 mix is what I use) to help clean out the rings.

This is the perfect time to go slow and check everything out.

On edit:  Consider replacing the intake and exhaust brass nuts with stainless steel nuts.

Joe

Edited by Professor (see edit history)

Professor all pistons are out and soaking in diesel number 5 and 6 piston rings are stuck going to run a dingle berry hone through the cylinders Eventually I’m going to order new valves Just want to get it running for now so I can move it around Ihave more projects to keep me busy and I need the one garage I have all the seat grinding tools and everything to do a complete rebuild of the engine Thanks for all the suggestions John 

Edited by Porsche 68
Just wanted to say thanks (see edit history)

Ok having a duh moment cleaning the fuel system I now the accelerator peddle was slow to return looked over at the other side of the motor the vacuum actuator is moving back and forth is this some kind of vacuum assist throttle I thought it was a brake booster ?! Sorry for the stupid questions used to working on my 25 dodge brothers woody thanks John

Can you post a picture of what you are referring to?

Joe

1 hour ago, Porsche 68 said:

Ok having a duh moment cleaning the fuel system I now the accelerator peddle was slow to return looked over at the other side of the motor the vacuum actuator is moving back and forth is this some kind of vacuum assist throttle I thought it was a brake booster ?! Sorry for the stupid questions used to working on my 25 dodge brothers woody thanks John

Hi John,

I cannot be of any help here.  As far as I know vacuum boosted brakes (or anything to do with vacuum and brakes) was not used in 1934.  Additionally, all of the vacuum lines on my 1936 Chrysler are NiCop (or maybe just copper)… I am surprised to see a rubber vacuum line on your car.  By the way, an image of the larger area may help because it is really difficult (for me at least) to orient what I am seeing since the images are too close.  I can see the steering wheel column and what looks like the starter, so I assume the images are of the lower driver’s side of the firewall.  Can you upload an image with a larger perspective of the area?

Thanks John.  I am enjoying your updates.

Joe

The 34 Dodge came with a vacuum operated clutch. That's the unit you're looking at. I don't think it was terribly successful and a lot have been removed over the years. I have this unit for my 34 but it's not installed. My Dad used to work on these in the day and he didn't have much good to say about them! 

Ken

• Like 3

Went scrounging around the attic of my ex gf auto parts store it’s been there since the late 40s Found boxes of new piston rings valves con rod bearings and more going to rebuild the engine in the 34 Dodge.  John

5C00C990-352D-48F8-B389-792B0A47800C.jpeg

FCD8DC69-B109-490F-A43C-E995CFDD4FF6.jpeg

• Like 4

Interesting that the rings were stuck. Perfect example of why jumping in an running an engine is not a good idea like 98 percent of the people usually do. While they would probably have freed up after running a few minutes with temperature, pulling it apart is the correct solution. Same thing goes with the cooling system. It may work and function as is……..but forty years has taught me to just pull the radiator and flush it out of the car and do the heated evapo rust treatment to the block like we spoke about in other threads. Slow small steps……..one jibe at a time. Too many people just jump in and take everything apart and get over their heads and bogged down when they realize it will be months of free time to get it all back together. 

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Well been gathering parts a ring set and rod bearings gasket set while waiting I cleaned the carburetor fuel pump that still works but going to get a new diaphragm Valves cleaned and adjusted Inside of oil galleries cleaned I also cleaned and checked all electrical connections now amazingly everything works! Hopefully within the next two weeks I’ll have it back together and running Them it’s on to the brakes. John 

3FC5A773-D5ED-469C-A038-A366E46B1C37.jpeg

4ECCB46B-EAD0-4F96-A8B3-EBCA05C1CBC0.jpeg

• Like 5

On 6/19/2022 at 8:08 AM, Porsche 68 said:

Got the top end cleaned up ran a tap and die over everything replaced I broken head stud Dropped oil pan very little sludge

Yeah mine (33 Plymouth PD)  had surprisingly almost nothing in it,  but the pickup screen was pretty plugged.  I think it's the design as where the drain plug is it really drains the pan and only has that slight circular indent that catches a few rags worth of sludge. 

You are getting alot more done on yours.  Though i did just finish my brake job yesterday, put in all new plugs and wires, filled the rear and tranny,  now have to replace the positive ground cable,  then it's finally back on the ground.  If i can find a new cap and rotor , I'll give it the rest of the tune up.  It's good to have a supply of old parts,  though I tend to spend more time looking for parts in my Stock than working on the car. 

• Like 1

Auburnseeker I have a never ending supply of points and condensers a lot of spark plugs haven’t found any distributor caps yet The ex gf owns an auto parts store that’s been around since the 40s lots of old stock up in the attic she said she could never sell if I find extra caps you are more then welcome to one   John 

• Like 1

Must have been a very amicable parting with the ex to still have access to the parts.

You are a very lucky man.  Next you will tell us your father in law owns a liquor store.  

Live the dream.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice Find and Car !  With a lot of good comments for things to do for Old vehicles that have been sitting for many years.  Please Keep the posts Coming.

Us folks that don't have extensive knowledge of prewar car mechanics pick up alot of very helpful info.  

Thanks,  CricketKJ26

25 Chrysler G70 Coach 

5 hours ago, Porsche 68 said:

Auburnseeker I have a never ending supply of points and condensers a lot of spark plugs haven’t found any distributor caps yet The ex gf owns an auto parts store that’s been around since the 40s lots of old stock up in the attic she said she could never sell if I find extra caps you are more then welcome to one   John 

Make sure you grab the parts books if they still have them for the stuff.  Most boxes don't have the applications and the books will be the only way to ID the stuff for proper application.  I had a few boxes full of unmarked distributor caps,  so I matched one up.  There are several very similar but this one I think is right. Had the Points , they were on the shelf.  One of the few boxes that were marked. Had a bunch of rotors,  so I matched one of those up as well.  Have alot of spares of those.  Now I'm just short on a condensor.  The one in it may be fine.  I thought and still think I do have some boxes of them,  I can still visualize exactly where they were at my old shop. I  just can't figure out where I put them when I moved.  You wouldn't believe how worn out the rotor is and the cap, not far behind it.  Can't believe they said it ran good.  Plugs were fouled out pretty bad as well.  Glad I did this before trying to start it.  Battery also looks like 2016,  so that's not filling me with confidence.   I'll pull it and charge it,  hoping for the best,  but suspect I'll need a new battery as well.  

As I've said these flat 6's will run in poor shape quite well.  What I could see of the internals when I had the pan off,  looked very good.   Hand cranking it over with the hand crank,  she seems to have really good compression. 

It's back on the ground now.  Once i swap the cap,  It's pretty much ready to go.  Gas smells really good in it,  so that's a bonus. 

• Like 2

Well great news while waiting for parts I figured I’d check the brakes new shoes wheel cylinders The cylinders were a little bit sticky cleaned them all up nice n free will have to re build the master cylinder though And my ring’s arrived so the pistons are put together So tomorrow I’ll be honing the cylinders So might have it running smoking this weekend!

9EE6EE9E-C002-47F7-82A6-22BD1AE31C03.jpeg

5B608BCD-C302-437D-9AC4-B0B318838D41.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well today after I got all my outside chores done I figure I would put a tube in the very old flat bald spare tire It’s a cities service Acme 6.00 by 16 wide white ( most of the white peeled off) got the tire broke down  and found a red tube inside never seen one before There was literally nothing left of it! But the one problem I am having now is the the metal tire cover doesn’t fit There is sprung metal tabs that go around the tire to center it It seems a larger tire would be better but maybe it’s because the tire is so worn

9C216F5F-6432-4C23-948D-4A0F80F1DCF0.jpeg

6D66DC7B-8B65-4CE2-92A6-599C8F16DCCB.jpeg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Porsche 68 said:

Well today after I got all my outside chores done I figure I would put a tube in the very old flat bald spare tire It’s a cities service Acme 6.00 by 16 wide white ( most of the white peeled off) got the tire broke down  and found a red tube inside never seen one before There was literally nothing left of it! But the one problem I am having now is the the metal tire cover doesn’t fit There is sprung metal tabs that go around the tire to center it It seems a larger tire would be better but maybe it’s because the tire is so worn

9C216F5F-6432-4C23-948D-4A0F80F1DCF0.jpeg

6D66DC7B-8B65-4CE2-92A6-599C8F16DCCB.jpeg

Surprising that it would not center in the cover.  Both the inner 'clamshell' and the wheel itself attach to the spare bracket that comes up through the rear apron.  Usually on the 34s the inner clamshell is held on with two small bolts, about 1/4" or 5/16", but then the wheel lugs (bolts, not nuts) go through the inner clamshell and screw into 3 of the spare bracket holes, which should line it all up.  Usually, these covers are stamped with the wheel/tire size along the edge by the cover clamp.  I have seen lots of 600x16s and a couple of 525x17 from 33s but my guess is checking that the inner clamshell is properly attached and inflating the tire will do the trick.  The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the cover is a 35 with a single center bolt attachment that somehow got attached to a 34 mount.  Can't tell with the tire in place.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s alive ! Got the motor back together last night had no oil Had to wait until today to start it after coughing and hacking and a pound of mouse house from the bell housing it started very little smoke drove it out of the garage and power washed all the muck out of the block and radiator Will be installing the water pump and freeze out plugs tomorrow and let it run    John

88F250AC-BC9D-4B32-83F2-1D8DA54F05C9.jpeg

AE19A72D-C8EC-4CE7-A68A-483C398165DD.jpeg

• Like 12

I vote to rename the thread,

"Amazing luck again, and again, and again, and  ...."

The car Gods are definitely shining on you brother John :)  

Some say you make your own luck. You must be doing something right sir.

Kudos!

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. 
Amazed and Subscribed

Dave

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Just came back from its test drive A little squirrely on the road forgot I had the tires pumped up 50 lbs to get it rolling easily now back down to 32 Any hoo seems to run a little rich judging by the color of the plugs definitely needs a valve adjustment otherwise it runs cool charging system charges no leaks or funny body noises It’s a good one.  And it’s running on its own gas tank  AND it still needs a bath !

5CFBF499-FD9D-4E13-8CA2-CC49ACD55EC5.jpeg

• Like 9