Amelia Island?

alsancle

OK,  besides the Fat Cat Ed who is going?     Here is my ranking of annual car events in order of fun:

1.  Hershey

2.  Pebble

3.  Amelia

One is not like the others.   You can do a week at Hershey for what it costs for entry in to either Pebble or Amelia.   Both of those are still a lot of fun if not economically diverse.   Multiple auctions which are great if you don't buy anything.    The tour is on Thursday.     Show is on Sunday.

The downside to Amelia is that you are 20 square mile island so your options for lodging and food are limited and expensive.   There are two ways on and off the island an you can get to Jacksonville in 45-50 minutes where the choices are greater and cheaper.

The upside is that the weather is typically 70 degrees and sunny.    Here in the peoples republic of Mass it was 5 degrees when I woke up this morning.

• Like 7

I agree with the ranking of the car shows on the fun level scale. Hershey has always been the best. No pomp, posh attitudes and if you encounter any of those attitudes the other 99% of the people you meet are so down to earth they make up for it. Very few people posing next to cars for photos - just people wanting photos of the cars.................At Hershey for the cost of a ticket to have to pay to  get into the other events /extravaganzas you can walk out with a cool bit of history in a part from the era or a photograph, sales brochure, car mascot , etc.

We all have our idea of what is best - I like the rolling hills of central Pa. and the change of color of the leaves; the  plush perfect lawns , people in dress attire walking around a golf course ( no I don't play golf either) and cars if you get closer then 10 feet to gets you a worried look that you may breathe on it just don't suit me at all.  Supporting a good and worthy cause does not require having to attend an event 'to be seen'.

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 8

I think I would like to go to Amelia one time just because. I had an invite there several years ago to show some of my bikes but could not make it. I thought I just read in old cars that one of the big insurance company's bought the event and that there were steps to make it 'more affordable' to the average joe. I love all old cars and events. I have been to a few concours events and never ran into anyone with an attitude. Most everyone I met and talked to were very approachable and we all had a common bond. 

• Like 1

Yes,  the event has a new owner.    As far as making it more affordable.  I don't know how you do that without moving it somewhere else.   The entire island is at 150% capacity for the weekend at the stupid prices that already exist.  

• Like 1

I'll get to Amelia Island someday, but it isn't a "Bucket List" event for me yet. This year will be 52 years in a row for Hershey, always a good time. I really got hooked on Car Week and Pebble Beach, but it looks like this year I'll be taking a pass. I really think about all the things that go on during that week every day. Jacket and tie for Sunday and I feel fine about it, I do check the pockets for the card from the last wake I wore it to. Green side of Pebble Beach is a lot more fun. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

Been attending various Monterey events since early ‘90s and planning to continue.

Went to Carlisle/Hershey swap meets twice, ‘89 & ‘90, IIRC, but have no interest or plans to do it again.

Hauled and displayed a clients car (my restoration) at Amelia about 15 years ago, no plans to go back there either.

While I like all car shows...........my favorite car event is doing private garage tours. Last month Phil and I hit seven major collections in five days............all for the cost of a rental car. Touring is my next favorite thing........6-9 thousand miles a year is about right in a pre war car. Then the concours........not only great cars.....interesting auctions, and fun people. Each event is different........expensive doesn’t equate to fun.......just high stress. Want great fun for almost no money........buy a brass T and get out  on the road........fantastic people all at Walmart pricing. Too many arm chair collectors today.........get off the chair, get off the computer, and drive you stuff...........

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Too many arm chair collectors today.........get off the chair, get off the computer, and drive you stuff.

I totally agree!!!! 

My favorite events are the tours a local club used to have with a sit down dinner after at the end of the tour, we usually took over the restaurant. Also the tour/end of tour meals we used to organize to celebrate a historic automobile related event ( like the 70th, 75th etc anniversary of the Vanderbilt Cup races) . I did this with a group of people in the L.I. Old Car Club Chapter of VMCCA done decades ago. There were about 6 of us who would organize it and the cut off date was 1938. I also used to organize my own tours that had very much the same plans. I would call them a "No Nothing Tour" - no club, no fee, no awards just about 20 friends and their cars getting together for a 20 to 40 mile jaunt sort of in a caravan so we could all arrive at the end restaurant together mostly. Most of us dressed in clothes of the period of the car we were driving/riding in too. The one in 1988 was the best - 100+ cars newest was a 1938 Packard conv. and Old 16 participated as well. Herb Singe would drive his brass era car in from NJ for it through one of the tunnels .

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:
25 minutes ago, edinmass said:Too many arm chair collectors today.........get off the chair, get off the computer, and drive you stuff...........

Easy to say. If only I could get my garage art to start again I’d be out using up tires!

• Haha 2

Stutz Bearcat? Anything known about it? A friend had one, black, quite awhile ago. He died just about twenty years ago now. He was too young, ALS, a nasty way to go. Last I heard, his family still had the car. I got to follow it and him on a few club tours, always fun to see cars like that being driven as they were intended.

We had a wonderful group that used to do a lot of special tours together. Quite often we would end up where a silent movie was being shown, usually with proper theatre organ accompaniment. Sometimes we went to Turk Murphy's "Earthquake McGoon's for his San Francisco Jazz music and dancing! I sure miss those days. We usually wore attire appropriate for the era of our cars, and attended club tours often as a group.

Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

That Silver 20/25 Rolls Royce is insanely nice. Someone is going to pay for 1/4 of a restoration and get a free car.

Given the color & chrome wheels I thought it was a resto mod.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, K8096 said:

I’m sure the original color was much more sedate than today. I don’t hate silver as much as I hate red.

so yes the car is overdone but it’s such a nice restoration and attractive body I could probably get past it. Wheel discs would tone the car down quite a bit.

• Like 1

Easy to say. If only I could get my garage art to start again I’d be out using up tires!

Need a good mechanic? There's enough of us on this page to get your garage art moving. 😃 Dandy Dave!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, K8096 said:

Change that silver to a more appropriate period grey and imagine it now. 

Wheel disks would be another way to change it up, not sure if black would work or not against the current silver.

You will get tired of me repeating this but : great cars in bright modern colors just don't work, period colors do. The artist who designed the car when it was new wanted you to see the styling of the car not brash or in you face colors. There will be exceptions to point to that "in the day" there were bright colors on cars - sure, 2 in 2,000. Bright colors usually were on cars located new in warmer climates - California and Florida, but there are those out there reading this that will justify that I am wrong because they can point to one car and say " it was bright yellow when new, so there" , sure and most likely the owner was a film star who the studio they worked for was trying to call attention to.

SO what do I base my opinion on - I have a Masters Degree + in Art , and also have been an active historian in car history for over 50 years and local and state  history over 45 years. Spent some time talking to the designers of the pre war era and a few of the post war era as well , including Bill Mitchell.

• Like 5

If you don’t  understand why your typical phantom II rolls Royce was $20,000 when you could buy a top-of-the-line Packard or Cadillac for $5000 look at the firewall on this car. Noticed that all the wiring runs in its own conduits.

FBA446C6-0999-44A3-85AE-D587BDCB61A4.jpeg

AB23B828-1057-427F-BF94-47CFCE213CFE.jpeg

D821DA41-6F8F-4C44-B3EE-7763BE197327.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1