Universal Tire price increases

31plymouth

Received this email this morning

Dear valued customer,

On behalf of the team at Universal Vintage Tire, we would like to reach out directly to inform you about an upcoming price increase. We appreciate your continued support and would love the opportunity to continue providing you with the best tires and service in the industry.

Tire and wheel production costs have risen drastically in the past year. Raw material pricing, shipping costs, and labor rates are all increasing at an alarming rate. These factors directly impact the manufacturing process required to produce specialty tires and wheels for the collector car market. Many of our suppliers have increased pricing, beyond what we can absorb internally. Due to these circumstances, our products will see between 5% and 25% increases. 

These new prices will be effective February 21, 2022. Any backorders not shipped on or before March 25, 2022 will be adjusted to the new pricing. If you have a backorder that is not fulfilled by March 25, 2022, one of our sales representatives will reach out to you directly.

We appreciate your loyalty, and we look forward to providing great tires and service for your next project.

Sincerely,

Universal Vintage Tire

Remember though it's only 7.5% inflation. ;) 

I have been having trouble finding the little 5 oz cans of mother's mag and Aluminum polish.  Recently found it and it is 9.00 and up a can.  Used to be 6.00,  and. I believe that was a year ago.    I just went online and bought a gallon of it.  Got a message from the seller that they are actually out but when their order that is in transit comes in, they will fulfill the order.   Get your stuff now.  Even the common stuff is running out or low and being repriced at "market" value. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, 31plymouth said:

Received this email this morning

Dear valued customer,

On behalf of the team at Universal Vintage Tire, we would like to reach out directly to inform you about an upcoming price increase. We appreciate your continued support and would love the opportunity to continue providing you with the best tires and service in the industry.

Tire and wheel production costs have risen drastically in the past year. Raw material pricing, shipping costs, and labor rates are all increasing at an alarming rate. These factors directly impact the manufacturing process required to produce specialty tires and wheels for the collector car market. Many of our suppliers have increased pricing, beyond what we can absorb internally. Due to these circumstances, our products will see between 5% and 25% increases. 

These new prices will be effective February 21, 2022. Any backorders not shipped on or before March 25, 2022 will be adjusted to the new pricing. If you have a backorder that is not fulfilled by March 25, 2022, one of our sales representatives will reach out to you directly.

We appreciate your loyalty, and we look forward to providing great tires and service for your next project.

Sincerely,

Universal Vintage Tire

They must be owned by Coker as the same email was sent verbatim.

the vintage tire business is quite a racket and so much horrific quality. I avoid them as much as possible! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MarkV said:

They must be owned by Coker as the same email was sent verbatim.

the vintage tire business is quite a racket and so much horrific quality. I avoid them as much as possible! 

I have done ok with a set of Coker and Universal.  But yes, by and large the vintage tire business pulls the strings and wallet.  Classic car owners have very little choice but to accept what is offered or run a standard radial tire.     

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TerryB said:

On the other hand you have to appreciate the willingness to stay in this very specialized market.  If there is no profit to be had the business will disappear. 

Honestly, when I purchased my 54 Buick Special I was astonished a wide white wall bias ply new where available.  And from various molds as well.    i  

• Like 1

Yes!  As time marches on and the ability or willingness to service a specific hobby for the love and challenge of it diminishes each year.  How often do we read here that so and so has passed and no one wants to take over their craft.  We collectively have become the support network to keep things moving along especially in the pre-war cars.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Remember though it's only 7.5% inflation. ;) 

I have been having trouble finding the little 5 oz cans of mother's mag and Aluminum polish.  Recently found it and it is 9.00 and up a can.  Used to be 6.00,  and. I believe that was a year ago.    I just went online and bought a gallon of it.  Got a message from the seller that they are actually out but when their order that is in transit comes in, they will fulfill the order.   Get your stuff now.  Even the common stuff is running out or low and being repriced at "market" value. 

7%???📈

I don't worry about the increase of cost, I worry about the lack of availability. When I needed to purchase 34 x 4 tires for the 1910 Buick 16 last year, my preference was the Universal straight sided tires. I called Universal and tried to order 6 tires and was told they only had two in stock. When I asked about when they would get more, they said "maybe months, maybe years, we have no idea".  I called Coker and was able to order six Bedford tires. They said my timing was good as they were "running low". I am happy to have these tires in my possession.

Back in the old days of this hobby, finding tires for early cars was an obstacle in keeping old cars on the road. Sad to say it looks like we are coming full circle.

In talking to the Model T and A suppliers, they all comment that the demand for parts  is high but they are having trouble getting product as their suppliers are fading.

Don't complain about the prices of car parts, just be happy you can still buy them-or some of them. Support your vintage automobile parts and services providers. Don't complain about their cost. Without them, your cars are useless and valueless. 

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, TexRiv_63 said:

M.O.N.O.P.O.L.Y.

Yeah, on one hand lack of competition sucks but on the other, Coker has invested in making a pretty wide range of tires for our cars.  Tough call.  Inflation though is impacting everything these days..

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, motoringicons said:

I don't worry about the increase of cost, I worry about the lack of availability. When I needed to purchase 34 x 4 tires for the 1910 Buick 16 last year, my preference was the Universal straight sided tires. I called Universal and tried to order 6 tires they said they only had two in stock. When I asked about when they would get 

In talking to the Model T and A suppliers, they all comment that the demand for parts  is high but they are having trouble getting product as their suppliers are fading.

Don't complain about the prices of car parts, just be happy you can still buy them-or some of them. Support your vintage automobile parts and services providers. Don't complain about their cost. Without them, your cars are valueless. 

Guy you articlated a concern I have had for a while.  This year I think I am going to focus on things I need to eventually complete cosmetic restoration on the A, as no gaurantee this or that catalog item will be so easy in the future, which has a way of sneaking up on us...

With A&L relocating to NJ and losing some good help, I wonder how they will make out in the future and I know some providers, LB, a wood top bow guy down south, etc. Have closed up shop.

I'm now on my 3rd attempt to place an order for new bias-ply tires for my '38 Century.  Yesterday, I received a call from someone at Lucas Tires informing me that my 2nd choice, like my first, were not available anywhere in the US.  He said that my third choice were manufactured by a factory in PA and they (Lucas) is expecting to receive a shipment with my 3rd choice on Thursday (2/17).  So, I again updated my order and am waiting for confirmation from Lucas that the tires are actually on their way to me...

22 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

... only one problem there is no war. 

Are you sure bout that...?   

When the Corona kicked in... Immediately bought new tires for ALL my vehicles and ALL three trailers.   Because the road ahead is / looks bumpy...!!!!!!!!!

Someone has been at war with small business.  

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wowabunga said:

Are you sure bout that...?   

When the Corona kicked in... Immediately bought new tires for ALL my vehicles and ALL three trailers.   Because the road ahead is / looks bumpy...!!!!!!!!!

I'm not talking about war against ourselves!

2 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

I'm not talking about war against ourselves!

Missed the part about being at war against small business.  Walmart allowed to stay open during the lockdowns 24/7...  liquor stores ok but my house of worship not ok...? 

My dollars spent in Walmart the last 2 years = Zero dollars.  Shop local.  

Bums me out to no end that Carlisle Trailer Tires no longer makes tires in Carlisle PA.  Great sadness.

• Like 1