(How to ruin) a 1947 Chrysler Three Window Business Coupe Body...

More information as per seller:

1947 Chrysler three window business coupe / great patina / body sectioned / hood pancaked / sitting on a 1978 Chrysler station wagon frame with a 383 or 440 engine. Clear title , needs finished , project vehicle, some rust ,
one of a kind. Can't get any cheaper than this for what you are getting. Price is firm - $ 1500

A Chevy , Ford or a Dodge are nice but how many old hot rod Chryslers are around, would make a great contender for next years Route 66 Street Drags in Kingman. The 1946- 1947- 1948 models look alike for Chrysler. Dodge / Plymouth / Chrysler / Desoto / Mopar.

So maybe the top ismt chopped but thr body is sectioned - what a mess!

Here’s the plan:

Buy it, photoshop an old “little pages” custom car magazine cover with this car on it, create a period correct show car name, and then list it as a barn find long-lost custom with show history. Flip it for massive profit. Probably an extra $5k if you throw some dust on it and take dimly lit photos in an old barn to document the “find.”

Other than that, I can see no use for this car. Unless you have a 1978 Chrysler wagon with a bad frame. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually been thinking about a series of awards for some of our subject cars;

Brown Tarp - best deteriorated or unfinished project car from the antique side 

Green Tarp - best hot rod mess

Blue Tarp - best unfinished, incomplete kit car

Grey Tarp - best wrecked POS left to die in a backyard

Or, maybe defined classes where tarp color designates 3rd, 2nd, 1st place.

And, for that one car that bests all others, the Golden Tarp award, made of course with faux gold leaf.  (I was in Las Vegas last week for biz trip, could be the inspiration for this)...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Would there be trophies?  I envision some kind of artistic shape made from the tarp strands that are always left dangling from the car’s sharp edges and tight grooves, long after the tarp has disintegrated. Maybe mixed in with some tiny remnants of seat foam and upholstery material.

There are plenty of small and industrious crafters in my area who will do the work for free. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not to condone what was done to this Chrysler but sectioning a complete auto body is a far more difficult process than chopping a top.  Not only the linear feet of welding that must be done after the inches of section height is removed but also the metalwork blending of the surface development and leadwork.  Looking past the weathered paint, this sectioning was done by a body man skilled in metal and lead work back in the postwar era.  His skills show particularly in the rear section of the body where the shapes match side for side.

26 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Not to condone what was done to this Chrysler but sectioning a complete auto body is a far more difficult process than chopping a top.  Not only the linear feet of welding that must be done after the inches of section height is removed but also the metalwork blending of the surface development and leadwork.  Looking past the weathered paint, this sectioning was done by a body man skilled in metal and lead work back in the postwar era.  His skills show particularly in the rear section of the body where the shapes match side for side.

I agree, until you get to the hood.  Maybe they never got to finish it.  

15 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I was watching one of the hot rod shows a few weeks ago. There was a fellow with a willys pickup that wanted it modified. It was a really nice restored to original condition truck to start. They took the cab off and literally quartered it. Splitting in two down the middle then in half across the body. They wanted it to be longer and wider. I thought the whole process was idiotic to ruin such a nice truck. But to each his own. Show did not run long enough in the time slot to show the end result. My guess they are still working on it somewhere......

10 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I was watching one of the hot rod shows a few weeks ago. There was a fellow with a willys pickup that wanted it modified. It was a really nice restored to original condition truck to start. They took the cab off and literally quartered it. Splitting in two down the middle then in half across the body. They wanted it to be longer and wider. I thought the whole process was idiotic to ruin such a nice truck. But to each his own. Show did not run long enough in the time slot to show the end result. My guess they are still working on it somewhere......

Limo makers do that all the time!

Ben

If the car was within 100 miles me I could see flipping it and making $1500 to $2000 before the end of June. 

Some may not realize it but following up on an ad like that gives one an opportunity to see all the other stuff the guy owns. I have purchased the contents of a building from a lead like that.

• Like 1

Recently I went to look at a $1,000 pickup that was barely a parts car, but ended up buying a car right next to it that will yield a turbocharged engine and all the parts necessary to swap a automatic over to a four speed...