My New Garage Journey!

MarkV

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

Love it when a plan comes together.

Funny how it starts to look smaller than it started out. Especially when you start with the benches and shelves and such.

True! I’m just using it for two cars and storage of parts. The rear will be used for exercise equipment, work area, etc. the original garage is set up as a shop with tools, workbench, etc.  

67BAB70C-7467-4913-AC39-AE68B03A02C5.jpeg

344F4504-EE7D-4C42-82BA-8BF0A17B42EB.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

LOL!

Was there a lot of difference between the pre-formed and site build price wise?

Ben

When I ordered it about 12-15k remember I ordered it two years ago! I can only imaging what it would be today. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Bigger is always better but I think you did the right thing making the widths the same between the new and the old.    If it was wider you eye would catch the different and sense something was wrong but not know what.

Very true! Also I didn’t want it to dominate my yard.

Nice garage, and so quickly assembled. Interesting framing detail for window, normally the jack studs supporting the lintel are continuous to the floor, thereby eliminating issues of shrinkage as wood seldom shrinks in length. Having the window sill plate as shown bisect the jack stud creates a spot where shrinkage over time may allow jack stud to drop slightly (multiple spikes into main stud will minimize). Not a big deal in a garage, but in a house this method would be a structural no-no.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 11:48 AM, Gunsmoke said:

Nice garage, and so quickly assembled. Interesting framing detail for window, normally the jack studs supporting the lintel are continuous to the floor, thereby eliminating issues of shrinkage as wood seldom shrinks in length. Having the window sill plate as shown bisect the jack stud creates a spot where shrinkage over time may allow jack stud to drop slightly (multiple spikes into main stud will minimize). Not a big deal in a garage, but in a house this method would be a structural no-no.

Here in CA even my house is like this built in 62

On 2/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, Gunsmoke said:

A lot of framers frame like that here on the east coast also . They pre cut everything. Headers and window sills the same size and jack studs the same size as the rough opening . I have been framing for 45 years and do not frame that way but have seen it many times . Jim 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Looks great! Are you doing any finish work on the interior? Good to hear the overhead door is coming soon. In our area they are out months to find one!

Probably just electrical and epoxy flooring. I’ve never understood drywall in a garage! 

16 hours ago, MarkV said:

Probably just electrical and epoxy flooring. I’ve never understood drywall in a garage! 

I have wainscoting, and crown moulding in my garage!

A smooth painted wall will make it a bit brighter and easier to hang tools, a workbench etc. Even if you put up osb and paint it. Although at this point drywall is much cheaper. A bit of insulation may even help to keep it cooler, especially if you insulate the ceiling. Not sure how prevalent pole barns are in your area but a product called panel liner would be good for the ceiling. Its white, and easy to install. It is run off the same machine as the barn siding but a thinner gauge.

Here in New England, insulated walls make it easier to heat the garage, but for fire safety, the insulation can't be left exposed.  I hung 1/2-inch OSB using screws.  It does make it easy to hang things on the wall.  A couple of times when I wanted to change or add wiring, I've been able to unscrew the OSB to get inside the wall.  It is recommended to use a fire-retardant paint on the OSB. 

wagn_in_garaj.jpg.aafb510f95aafdd123802287b2d18e3b.jpg

Nice looking little storage garage, with small cars, you'll get 4 in there.   VW's, Metropolitans. Sprites, Croleys, Etc.   Little cars will make the garage feel gigantic.  Nice work, enjoy it.

• Like 1