How do I find a garage space to rebuild my truck?

Dodgefran

My situation is that We've moved to another town.  We don't have a garage. and I am storing my 38 Dodge truck in a storage facility with no electricity and no room in the storage unit because of the parts.  Has anyone here got themselves out of a situation lie this, and "PLEASE" tell me how you did it.  Thanks

Does not sound like the ideal situation to be starting a restoration. Can you put a shed on your property? Something 10 x 20 would be at least a good start. Another thing to look into is buying (or renting) a shipping container. In my area there are a couple of companies that will rent them long term. 

Build or rent a suitable garage or sbop. You're already giving somebody your $ for that inadequate hole. Hopefully you've factored in all the costs associated with the restoration. That would include purchase of any tools and equipment, supplies and of course the place to do it all. Really isn't any other solution. Sounds like you moved quick and in today's market, finding the ideal home with a nice garage isn't always so simple. 

Terry

In this hobby , your problem is common.  It's easy to get more vehicles then we have space for.   It happened to me when I had 6 cars and a garage space for only 5.    That's when your ability to talk to people comes in handy.   I looked around the neighborhood for homes with two car garages and started asking, especially if they had only one vehicle.  I recomend that you store only finished cars in other peoples private garages in case their relitives come and need the space back.   Somtimes you can get a low rate from neighbors, even including reorganizing their garage an cleaning it.

Any car you will be working on should be in a rental garage where that is common practice.

Once, I got a neighbors carport for free because she was in a nursing home and wanted it to look like somebody was still living there.   When she

listed the house for sale the Realtor tried to throw me out, but the owner insisted I stay until it sold.   I stored my VW there with the cover on lt.

Where we lived there were many storage facilities with electric and they had many of them used as shops for various crafts including cars.

4 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

In this hobby , your problem is common.  It's easy to get more vehicles then we have space for.   It happened to me when I had 6 cars and a garage space for only 5.    That's when your ability to talk to people comes in handy.   I looked around the neighborhood for homes with two car garages and started asking, especially if they had only one vehicle.  I recomend that you store only finished cars in other peoples private garages in case their relitives come and need the space back.   Somtimes you can get a low rate from neighbors, even including reorganizing their garage an cleaning it.

Any car you will be working on should be in a rental garage where that is common practice.

Once, I got a neighbors carport for free because she was in a nursing home and wanted it to look like somebody was still living there.   When she

listed the house for sale the Realtor tried to throw me out, but the owner insisted I stay until it sold.   I stored my VW there with the cover on lt.

Where we lived there were many storage facilities with electric and they had many of them used as shops for various crafts including cars.

Paul's situation is MUCH easier--finding storage for a running vehicle that will not be worked on, much less disassembled.  Years ago, I used to post 4x6 note cards on local churches' bulletin boards saying something to the effect that "Neighbor wants to rent a garage for storage of an infrequently used collector car. Fully insured, no hazardous chemicals."  That was successful.  But homeowners generally don't want you working on your vehicle or making noise.

So as previously mentioned by others, find a commercial or industrial corner that can use a little side income, or rent a cargo container.  If the latter, you'll need one much larger than the vehicle itself--the Rule of Thumb is that one disassembled vehicle occupies the space of FOUR intact vehicles.  Duplicate some fliers.  Try Next Door and Facebook--networking helps.

Edited by Grimy
replaced missing word (see edit history)
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Dodgefran said:

My situation is that We've moved to another town.  We don't have a garage.... 

Are you still in Webster, New York, as your forum

description says?  I see that's on the outside of Rochester.

The farther out you are in the country, the less expensive

garage rentals will be.  Storage units typically are much more

expensive than finding private garages to rent.  Look for

a sufficiently large garage to rent, and tell them you will be

working on your car regularly there.

Here in small-town Pennsylvania, garage spaces can be

found for $50 to $70 a month.  You'll want perhaps two 

spaces or more for plenty of room to work on your car.

I found good storage space in an unused agricultural building.

I was driving out in the country and saw a large building sitting

out in a field.  I stopped at the house and found out that the

building wasn't being used.  Voila!  Plenty of storage space

for me and fellow club members, and ample income for the

owner who was receiving nothing before.  Try it!

• Like 3

If you have the room on your property, in my opinion, it would be better for you to build a small garage than to rent, especially if it's going to be long term, which most restorations turn out to be. You might look into buying a prebuilt garage or large shed that can be deemed a temporary structure, so save some time and hassle. Try to get one large enough to be practical for your purpose. Even if you decide to sell the vehicle, you'll still have the garage, rather than throwing away money on rent! I did a restoration years ago in a 'gifted' garage about 12 miles from my home. While it didn't cost me anything, it sure was a pain making upteen trips back and forth fitting parts as it had no room to work in. It took about 6 years to complete, had one break in where all my tools were stolen, and had no insurance! At least at home, your homeowners ins. should cover most if not all issues, if you rent, especially from a private concern, you're taking a chance!

Finding storage/workspace has always been a challenge.  Last month was the 50th anniversary of my first antique car purchase. and I still have the car!  Fifty years, including college, military service, corporate moves, etc.   A constant cycle of finding and losing storage.  My suggestion is, like some said above, to network.  I have found space through newspaper ads, talking to real estate agents (residential and commercial), listing a "space wanted" ad myself.  Social media is the new newspaper, but many (esp. older) folks still read the traditional papers.  Another really reliable method:  Ask the barber.  No kidding; they are the best networkers in town.  Also, join a local car club.  I was surprised recent club meeting when a member said he was losing his space and wanted suggestions.  He walked away with three good leads.  Good luck!

• Like 2

Thank you all for taking the time to help.  I was in the middle of restoring my 1938 Dodge Humpback RC panel truck when I had to stop and shift my energies to moving from a house that I'd lived in for 45 years.  I had a 2 car garage and most of the tools and equipment (english wheel, 20 ton press, beader, etc).   I had most of the patch panels all ready made and was ready to do the welding needed.  The engine is still being done at the machine shop (8 hours away) and I have a T5 ready to attach.  The original rear end is still in, but I can replace it with a 93 So there is no drive train in the truck.   I got over here ( Webster, NY) and had to find a storage space.  Over the years, I've been buying parts that I would need later.  I'll have to sell most of them after the build gets done...........  So thats my problem and i need a workspace to finish the build.

2 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

...A “Hot Wheels”collection will be more economical and will surely solve your storage problem.

...OR, sell the truck...

Jack, surely you can think of some constructive ideas!

I don't think the original poster wants to sell his truck and

collect toys instead, to solve his dilemma!

AACA Forum members are helpful and always willing

to assist others with less experience.

3 hours ago, Dodgefran said:

...I got over here (Webster, NY) and had to find a storage space.... 

Fran listed Webster, N. Y. by his user-name, and he 

confirmed that that is his new location, not his old.

So we have the information needed to give good advice.

Unless N. Y. means North Yemen instead of New York...

However challenging the workspace situation, I encourage you to keep the passion to restore your truck. It will add to your great story of how you accomplished this when others are enjoying it once completed. 

Are you a club member?  Are there any local clubs in your area (even if not specifically Dodge)?  I'd try finding a way to network through a local club, as a member may be able to help directly, or possibly provide a lead to an available garage for rent.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

Nothing to add to my above wanderings, except to say that any problem you may have in this hobby can be considered laughable if compared to others faced with similar problems in their hobbies.

B17A31EF-5E10-483F-938B-84794366D291.jpeg

Talk about an insane project. 

I'm wondering what it is you are going to be doing for work on the truck?  Getting it running?  Minor fixes?   If you are tearing it down, leave it where it is until you have permanent long term space.   The worst thing that could happen would be for the truck to be unmovable in a million pieces and have to be moved.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

The worst thing that could happen would be for the truck to be unmovable in a million pieces and have to be moved.

According to OPs comments, this ship ^^ unfortunately has already sailed.

As I’ve mentioned previously here somewhere, I grew up in the culture/society where many  (young) vintage car enthusiasts/hobbyist didn’t have a garage of their own to work on them, so many of us pooled our (very limited) resources together, formed and registered a formal (often nonprofit) car/hobby clubs with official charters, etc and with such were able to lease/rent commercial shop building, etc in which each club member had his/her individual space(s) to store and/or work on their vehicle(s).

Everyone paid annual membership fee (often minimal) and then paid their own share for the space their car occupied.

Any leftover funds collected from membership or space rent fees were often used to buy larger equipment (air compressors, lifts, etc) for all the members to share the use of. 

These arrangements also often provided friendly help (for lifting heavy items, pushing cars, etc) or borrowing tools etc being easily available.

Some of my lifelong friends still work on their cars in such “communal” garages and some of them even own such buildings now and lease/rent them to younger generation car enthusiasts/hobbyist to ensure those kids also have a place to work and keep their cars in.

Heck, on few occasions over the years, even crusty old me has provided space in my shop for local (young) vintage car enthusiasts to work on theirs, usually in exchange for some little help with my projects or shop cleaning, etc.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

Nothing to add to my above wanderings, except to say that any problem you may have in this hobby can be considered laughable if compared to others faced with similar problems in their hobbies.

B17A31EF-5E10-483F-938B-84794366D291.jpeg

The day this floats will be the best day of this guys life.

I would have to live aboard if it were mine.

2 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

Jack, surely you can think of some constructive ideas!

I don't think the original poster wants to sell his truck and

collect toys instead, to solve his dilemma!

I didn't say anything like that.

I have shop space, but can relate to those that don't.

I just don't have any better ideas than already mentioned.